Chapter 60 – Fiend
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Being constricted to one place wasn't the kind of life Red had been looking for on the surface. That being said, Red also knew he needed time to recover and adapt to this completely new world around him. It just so happened these people offered him a good opportunity to do so, though the boy was not yet sure if - and how much - this opportunity would cost him.

Narcha's display in the streets told the youth that the guild was not particularly well-liked by certain groups. On top of that, a monster horde heading in this direction stood a chance at making it to the town. All of that, added to a lack of information about his responsibilities inside this guild, made Red hesitant.

What if he was unknowingly dragged into a dispute? From the looks some of those people gave him back then, it might already be too late to worry about it.

However, the boy also didn't take this chance that had been given to him for granted. Whatever these people may have in store for him, they had still saved Red's life at the end of the day. What would Viran think about him if he simply decided to abandon them without repaying for everything they did? It just didn't sit right with the youth.

'I guess there's no choice then...'

In the end, he decided to stay in the guild at least for the time being. In the future, whenever he felt like he had repaid his debt in full and was healthy enough, then he would consider his next steps. By then, it wouldn't matter if they didn't plan on letting him go, Red would be able to slip away into this maze of a town and likely never be found again.

He sighed, feeling a lot of the tension escape his body. Coming to a decision about his immediate future took a lot of the pressure off of his mind, and his wounds and fatigued body started to weigh heavily on him. Although it was still the middle of the day, he was in dire need of rest.

The boy still didn't feel comfortable sleeping somewhere he had never been before, surrounded by people he barely knew. However, the quiet environment and the fluffy bed compelled him to drop down his guard if only for a moment, and try to get as much rest as he could. Yet, before he did that there was something he had been waiting for a long time to try.

Red stepped down onto the wooden floor and took the boxing stance Viran had taught him. The boy had never tried to do the exercise with just one hand, but he didn't expect it to pose much of a problem. He started performing the movements he remembered by heart, entering into the training trance the youth had become so used to.

Although his tired body still complained in pain, Red pushed through it until the familiar feeling surged to the surface of his skin. Knowing the time was right, he sat cross-legged on top of the bed and started to feel for the Spiritual Energy. It took a few seconds, but sure enough, the intangible power flowed into his Spiritual Veins and the youth couldn't help but be ecstatic.

The density and quality of the energy seemed to be far higher on the surface compared to the mines. Although it still was some levels below what the blob provided him with, it was like Red could finally swim in a pool after being stuck with a puddle for so long.

He savored the feeling for a while longer, before letting the energy disperse. The youth knew better than to try and cultivate in a fatigued state like this. Besides, he didn't have any moonstones with him, so he wasn't sure how effective Viran's technique would be.

Red recalled the stash he had hidden in the forest before meeting with the group. His weapon, the insectoid crystal, the underground map, and an assortment of moonstones were all there. He still remembered how the clearing looked, so he would definitely recognize it if he happened upon it again. However, the boy didn't have the slightest idea about how to get to that particular area of the forest. He would need to wait until he was completely recovered and more acquainted with his environment before trying to retrieve his items. He could only hope no one would stumble upon it while he was gone.

'I wonder if they have moonstones in this town...'

Just as Red was wondering how to ask that question without arousing suspicion, his thoughts were abruptly interrupted by hurried knocks at his door. The boy stared at the wooden entrance in suspicion, wondering to himself what the noises meant.

Another set of knocks, this time a bit more frantic. The youth still didn't say anything and waited silently. The thumping sound didn't repeat, and Red thought he was finally free to relax. As he got ready to sleep though, he heard some fumbling sounds before silence returned. He almost wondered whether he should just go outside and investigate, but something captured his attention first.

"Psst. Over here."

Red looked up. High on the wall, at the small strip window in an otherwise completely closed-off cabin, he saw a face. A kid's face he recognized from the meeting hall. For a moment, the youth was too confused to respond.

"Hey, I thought you were sleeping!" Allen complained. "How come you didn't answer the door?"

"What do you mean?"

"Look, it doesn't matter." The older boy shook his head. "Just open the door for me, before Eiwin notices me!"

The face disappeared from the window, and Red heard another fumbling sound. The youth didn't move from the bed though, and soon he heard repeated knocking on the door.

"Come on, open it already..." The same voice muttered on the other side. "Look, I have something really cool to show you!"

"Can't you just open it yourself?" The boy asked, still just sitting in place.

"Oh."

The doorknob turned and Allen hurried inside, closing the door behind him. He smiled at Red, before wandering over to him. The youth stood on guard, but the older boy simply extended his hand to him.

"My name is Allen! I'm the Sect Master of the Water Dragon Sect!" He spoke in a proud tone.

Red didn't move to accept his handshake, however, he stared at his peer in interest.

"I thought Hector was the Master."

"What?!" Allen looked indignant. "No, that old geezer is just the Grand Elder, I'm the actual Sect Master!"

"Wasn't he the one giving orders, though?"

"That's just because he's a dictator! He says that just because I'm too young I'm not allowed to rule the Sect yet... But Rimold told me the truth!"

The kid grunted, hitting his open palm with his fist.

"He's trying to usurp me!"

"Usurp?" The youth was confused.

"Yeah, it means he wants to steal my power or something like that." Allen explained in a not very confident voice. "He wants to take everything that belongs to me for himself!"

Red frowned.

"You mean the guild?" He asked.

"Yes!" The older boy exclaimed in anger. "And all the buildings and treasures in this courtyard too!"

"That's great." Red had a hard time believing him, but more than anything, he simply didn't care.

"No, it's not great! Have you not been listening?!"

"I have." The youth nodded. "But why are you telling me this?"

"Because I need your help!" Allen smiled. "I want to recruit you as my supporter."

Red's frown deepened.

"You need my help for what?"

"To overthrow that old man of course." The boy put on a serious expression. "I've tried to talk about this with everyone else, but none of them seem to believe me! They've all been taken in by Hector's lies. He probably cast a spell of obedience on them!"

"Does something like that exist?"

"Yes, Rimold told me that he uses it all the time on the town ladies. But that's not what matters." Allen shook his head. "What does matter is that we need to do something about Hector before he ends up destroying the Sect! And you're going to be my right-hand man for the task."

"I don't-"

"It's okay." The older boy interrupted him. "I know you're tired, so we don't need to do anything right now. The old man is too smart anyways, so we'll need to come up with a good plan for this.

Allen approached him and patted him on the shoulder.

"You should rest and recover for now while I try to think of something." He encouraged Red. "You're now my brother-in-arms, and together we'll take down that old man even if it's the last thing we do."

The youth didn't bother responding. Allen started to walk towards the door after giving him what he must have thought was an inspiring look.

"Oh yeah, I forgot." The boy stopped right as he touched the handle. "What's your name, brother?"

"...Red"

"Red? That's not a name, that's just a word!" Allen shook his head. "We'll have to think about a more fitting name for you, like Allan or Allyn. Don't worry about it, I'll help you come up with it. Rest well!"

He slipped through the door, closing it behind himself with a thud. Red was finally left in silence once more before he heaved a sigh and laid down on his bed.

As sleep started to overtake him, the last thing the youth thought about was how he could tell Hector about Allen's plan to gain the old man's trust.

...

'Here I am again.'

Red could tell that he was in a dream before his senses could even take in his surroundings. After leaving the underground, he had wondered whether these visions would persist, but now he had his answer.

As sensation returned, though, the youth felt something strange. For some reason, his entire body was countless times heavier than normal, and even opening his eyes seemed to be a hard task. Eventually, though, he succeeded. Yet, what he was greeted with was different from anything he had ever seen in his dreams.

He was in the middle of an endless desert. However, the sand here wasn't pale grey, but rather it seemed to be composed of pitch-black grains. All around him, bone mounds, stretching high like mountains, littered the otherwise flat horizon of the wasteland. The sky above was also changed. The golden color had been replaced by a crimson red, with a dark star surrounded by a scarlet corona at the center of it all.

The youth felt as if the firmament itself was sinking to the ground, and heaven and earth were merging into one. The terror of imminent slaughter and carnage started to consume his being, and the boy found himself missing the eternal golden sky of his previous dreams. That was when something changed.

In the distance, he saw it. Something stirred beneath the sand, and a bulge began to take form in the wasteland. The desert itself began to sink, the sky becoming more distant, as something started to emerge from down below. An endless tide of black sand flowed down the colossal shape, and the source of this upheaval was revealed to Red.

The head of a crimson fiend. It was extremely far away, but even from here, the creature seemed impossibly large. It had two horns protruding from the side of its head, but one of them was broken off midway through. The youth didn’t know how he became aware of it, but he was certain the creature was wounded.

The demon opened its maw wide, revealing fangs bigger than mountains, and it raised its head towards the dark sun. Something stirred in its abyssal gullet, and it took a few seconds before the noise finally reached Red.

A roar. One that wasn’t felt with his hearing, but one that reached directly into his soul.

For a moment Red felt like he could understand the creature. Its cry wasn't one of anger.

It was one of grief.

It was the eternal agony that accumulated inside a suffering and lonely soul that was as old as time itself.

It was a cry for help.

Suddenly, everything went dark.

0