#4: Restless
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"We're breaking up," Jenny said, her expression displaying happy sadness.

"What? Why? I've been working hard for us! Did I do something wrong? I can fix it—"

"You did nothing wrong, Mark. There's not always a wrong. It's just… there's nothing more I can offer in this relationship and you're not offering anything I want. It's a good thing. We lived happily for two months and you have already changed, but it's time for the two of us to move on."

I closed my hands into fists.

"Is that everything?"

"What do you mean?"

"There's another guy, isn't there?"

"No, there isn't, Mark! You have already stopped being this stupid, so please don't go back to that. I still care about you."

"Fine. If that's what you want."

"Thank you."

The change I had made, to let her keep her childhood friend, didn't alter the future. Our relationship still came to an abrupt end and there was no way of getting it back. I couldn't fix it, that wouldn't be fair to her.

I tried to move on just as Jenny asked me to, but it was impossible. Not only did my nightmares return, but Jenny was in them now. Every night. I couldn't sleep, I wasn't hungry or thirsty, and I wouldn't go out for anything.

My pride was such that I wouldn't let myself fall into alcohol or drugs. It was the worst month of my life, but it began healing. Time always healed all wounds. Most of them, at least.

The nightmares only appeared every once in a while now and I got into cooking. Finally, I was feeling passionate about something again. There was only one thing left to do.

I hadn't answered Jenny's calls over the previous two months and I would ignore her every time she knocked on my door. I couldn't show her my state until I healed. I owed her a visit.

It was time to go grocery shopping, so I walked to the store Jenny worked at. Gathering up enough courage just to even see her, I walked in front of the store and saw her through the window, talking to a guy. My flames wanted to burst, but I had already moved on. I controlled myself and prepared to step inside.

Then they kissed. Multiple times.

That wasn't something friends would do, but nothing happened inside me. The pain was long gone as if I had been expecting it. However, I couldn't go in after that. Instead, I decided to pay a visit to her apartment. Our old home. For old times' sake.

Chapter 4/5

Please read the Notice chapter for more information.
Thank you for reading!


Edited by RedPandaChick

0