Chapter Thirty-two : As you sow, shall you reap
36 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Since Mr. Hendrickson lost his personal maid; Be-an, the process of taking care of the trivial matters like his clothes became a heavy and wearisome routine. Mainly, because of his unwell leg. Though the Count commended his butler to assign a few maids for him, yet they couldn't replace Be-an. Maybe because of her long stay with him that made her understand all his signals and preferences without the need for words.

How easy Mr. Hendrickson daily life was; when Be-an was serving him, he repeatedly appreciated her presence, and after her inevitable sacrifice, he cherished her more.

The dangerous mission, she undertook under his order was an important part of his plan. Especially when he foresaw her death while he couldn't foresee the identity of the one who killed her. 

Back then, He thought of sending her to the Crocotta as messenger, he will kill two birds with one stone, he would have protected her from that unknown aggressor and at the same time he will succeed in contacting the person whom he wished to contact out all the Crocotta clansmen. 

 Now he wondered if the act of sending her to the Crocotta was what he got her killed in the first place? 

Sadly, Nicolai didn't have an answer to this question, and he was the one renowned for his clairvoyance ability as a Seer.

Be-an wasn't just a simple maid, she was also a powerful bodyguard, then the person who harmed her wasn't an ordinary one. 

Who could be the one who killed her?

Someone from the Crocotta clan?

Lady Akila would never allow such a thing. She was the one who had gifted her to him in the first place. But Nicolai couldn't imagine that there was someone other than the  Crocotta capable enough to incapacitate Be-an except of the Count. Yet that a weak conclusion to be made since Francis didn't leave the manor for a second.  

Those were Nicolai reflections that wished to expel from his exhausted mind without a success, however, they sailed away the moment he felt the cold metal on his neck.

A low voice like a low night breeze whispered near his ear: "I want you to stay calm."

He instantly identified the anonymous intruder, and he submitted to his desire.

Well, it wasn't like he had a choice… He thought as he moved his head in the opposed direction of the cold metal without uttering a word, to show his consent, while his mind was reflecting on the absurd coincidence that made this person always chose the perfect time to meet him when he is in his lowest state.

After he felt the coldness leave his neck, the boldness worked on his tongue, then he murmured: "How did you get in here?

"Obviously, not from the main gate."

Nicolai didn't expect a sarcastic answer, but the doctor was polite as ever. It came to him that their last ungraceful encounter - as he hoped - didn't distort the unfamiliar empathy that was established between the two of them. 

A cord of hope settled into Nicolai palm, And all kinds of new plans terrorized his mind.

A few seconds later, a flimsy light projected on Mr. Hendrickson eyes, the source was a lantern near his bed. To his disbelief, a body, clearly belonged to one of the maids was lying above the white sheet. Unknown, whether she was dead or alive. It seemed that the Doctor understood Mr. Hendrickson inquiry when he said, explaining: "She is just unconscious…"

Exactly like his first answer. The doctor's tone was polite, yet it has a completely different meaning when it compared to his facial appearance. Nicolai felt that there were arrows launched from those furious heterochromatic eyes to perforate his lifeless heart, and began to second-guess his optimistic first opinion.

The doctor held the lantern and walked toward him, his steps were quick, albeit silent like a professional burglar. And when he sat facing him, Nicolai tasted the water for a confirmation: "What makes you think that I won't expose your transgression?"

"Because you know that I can throttle you before anyone could get to this remote room."

The earlier polite tone disappeared and replaced by a hiss, a threatening hiss. It was the first time Nicolai heard the doctor talk to him like this. What a surprising dark side, he was hiding

"Then why you didn't throttle me?" Mr. Hendrickson met the doctor angry eyes, mirroring his threatening voice. It was barely a few minutes before he saw the tenderness overthrew the cruelty in those heterochromatic eyes followed by a gentle tone: "I am sorry…"

"I didn't mean what I said…"

"I am just venting my anger…"

Nicolai was speechless at the rapid change of behavior. It was far from his anticipation. He restricted his cognitive abilities to focus on the series of excuses that was presented to him before he snapped up and alluded with his hands to Rokah to calm down.

Rokah understood his gesture and whistled.

"Why did you come here?" Nicolai asked while trying to shift his attention on the lantern, avoiding any eye contact. His tone was harsh.

"You are mad?"

"Of course, I am mad! You are threatening me in my room…"

Nicolai responded while he observed the doctor who he was showing a bizarre behavioral pattern; stand and swiftly makes his way behind the door, the position he took was as if he was trying to abduct whoever was going to enter. After that, someone knocked on the door, it was without a doubt a maid. Nicolai took the chance before she tried to open the door and yelled: "I am resting, I don't want anyone to disturb me…"

The maid apologized and walked away.

¨ Thank you. ¨ Rokah said.

But Nicolai didn't appear pleased with these thank, his mind was kept by the respect of this higher awareness the doctor had shown. And simultaneously commented tasting the water: "what were you going to do, if I had chosen different words?"

Rokah answered while pointing his forefinger to the body of the unconscious maid: "The same." Then, he decided to return to his place before he continued: "The only maid that makes me alert was that one, what's her name… Ah, Be-an…, she was at your service, right… The last time I saw her she wasn't in good shape. How she is now?"

"She didn't make it."

Nicolai face was expressionless as a blank white paper, however, he flinched when he perceived the doctor reply: "Good, It seems that you aren't angry anymore."

Nicolai returned with lucid anger: "No, I am deadly mad at you. How did you know lots of things about me?"

"That's my line Mr. Hendrickson, you are the one who starts this game."

"…"

"Don't you remember that time… At the mill, when I was with the maid that got mysteriously butchered… than the last time I got framed for being your puppet... Or whatever that monkey thought."

" …"

"You are the one who started this stalking game Mr. Hendrickson, I just couldn't help but reciprocate."

Mr. Hendrickson couldn't deny a word, he just kept his silence as he listened to the segment of facts that blew into his face, exactly like a drop of rain hitting dry land. 

Back then, Nicolai was just curious and suspicious of the newcomer who approached him, he wanted to confirm his assumptions about his identity, who sent him? He never expected that he will get figured out. He badly wanted to comprehend how he figured it out… 

He sighed in admiration… 

What a splendid awareness and what higher sensitive senses…

As the marvelous Be-an as she was, she never achieved this level of high awareness. What really a magnificent piece of art Akila had accomplished.

This silence continued for a few moments before it got broken by Nicolai asking again: "Are you angry because I pried into your business? Then, he watched as Rokah gave him a wide smile stripped from all emotions before he answered him: "No."

don't forget, if you get confused by some paragraphs or find spelling, grammar errors, you can always notify me.

1