Chapter Forty-one : A lost fragment of puzzle
26 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the middle of the mongrels big gathering, near the tavern main entrance, Nicolai spotted two interesting persons. The first one had an immense body, Nicolai nodded at himself satisfied and felt relieved that the Aractanthrope was still trapped inside the village. Maybe he will find a time to deal with him later, or he could use his illegal presence in this turf. 

The second person who resided in his consideration was halted near the gate, accompanied by one maid while the other maids were scattered between the groups of angry protesting mongrels working to calm them. 

On one side, several covered dead bodies were lying on the soil, wrapped with white linen.  Around them, traces of blood scattered like a waterwheel after heavy rain. Crying women and children all over the place, even when he couldn't hear their sad weeping, he perceived the anguish from their dejected faces.

Nicolai also saw an angry out of control men, holding farm instruments as a battle tool. Their eyes painted with red and their noses streamed a hot air.

 It was complete chaos. 

The fear that had accumulated inside the heart of the residents in those last months, the uncertainty, the fickle courage was now all exploding at once. 

Something is going on. Something must have destroyed the wall of hesitation and fears, ignited the flames inside those hopeless creatures, so they could go out through the tunnel of silence. 

Nicolai's breath chopped off as a wave of pain circulated through his body, rendering him senseless as an electrocuted person. This wave was brutal and intense to the point that made him fell on his back. 

He clutched at the cover of his bed with his remaining forces and coerced his eyes open for a few seconds. This time the blood came not just from the eyes but also from his nose.  His chest grew heavy and buggy and his vision only showed an abstract red image. 

While the effect of the pain wave began to decrease, he used the back of his left hand to wipe the poured blood. Next, he concentrated on his weak breath, trying to make it regular. 

His muscles failed him, yet again when he attempted to move his body to rest on his left side, he was unsuccessful, thus he surrendered to reality. Unable to raise his eyelids. He reclined in there, tired, hopeless not even able to speak and answer the door. 

Knock…. Knock. 

The sound that came from the door was rhythmic. It stopped for a few seconds, then returned to be louder before the door was opened…

Despite Nicolai tiredness, his lips formed a faint curve of satisfaction. 

Silent steps entered and worked its way through till it stopped near the bed. 

A nostalgic voice said: "You look awful." 

"You smell awful," Nicolai replied, although his voice was hardly audible. 

"I have a legitimate reason to smell like rotten meat." 

"Me too, I have a myriad of reasons to look half dead." 

****

Kanari brushed her hair and tied it in a loose plait braid, then brought the end of the braid to rest on her shoulder. 

She gave herself a last look in the mirror, her eyebrows were lowered concealing her pale yellow eyes to a certain degree. She nodded, pleased with the outcome before she proceeded to collect the documents. 

When she pushed the door open, she saw her mother walking right towards her direction signaling to her asking if she was ready, and kanari returned the signal with a firm serious head bow that she was ready. 

When they marched downstairs, Akila hissed in her daughter's ear asking "Where did Savannah go?" 

Like a block of melted ice, the seriousness and determination that reflected on kanari face a moment ago vanished. And her mind got blink… She sought a quick lie to save herself: "She is just taking a stroll… You knew how much she can get bored inside four walls. 

"She better keeps a low profile and not cause any troubles." 

"Of course, she is not that stupid." 

kanari felt a pressing need to change the subject and finally found herself a striking subject: "Mother, don't you think that the house is somehow very empty?"

It was a simple remark, but when the word left her lips, her demeanor completely converted to be extra cautious. She asked a second time "Ma… Something going on?" 

Akila paused and declared: "Yes, there is some kind of uproar in the village." 

"The Chimera?" 

Akila didn't answer, but resumed her march toward the main hall. Kanari followed her urgently demanding clarification: "Ma…. Do you think this is a mere coincidence?" 

"Of course not, dear, there is no such thing called coincidence in the world." 

"Then what is going on, this is not included in the contract. Could it be  planned from the start?" 

kanari voice was loud, and only when they arrived at the entrance of the main hall she rectified her mistake. 

The Count Francis Leal Di Montez with his crimson aura was inside waiting, kanari felt that it was strange that he was alone by himself. She wondered about the whereabouts of that chimera butler who always stood behind him. 

She looked at her mother to meet her eyes, then looked back at the Count.

In that sudden flash of perception, at last, Kanari, finally realized what was going on. 

She glanced at her mother to see her maternal smile overrun her firm visage. And right then she remembered the cryptic advice that her mother was trying to give her whenever possible. 

Before Akila walked inside she asked her beloved daughter "Did you get a glimpse of the big picture now?" 

"Yes, ... No, I am still confused?" 

"Don't lose your composure… remember your ultimate objective, if you lose sight of it return a few steps back and rethink about what was going on."

Giving her last words, Akila advanced, approaching the Count position while kanari stood there reflecting, and when she felt confident enough she followed behind her. 

The two of them stood side by side in front of the Count. They all sat following the etiquette of the courtesy, and only then, Francis said directing his speech to Lady Akila: "My lady I believe that you understand…" 

Akila flagged her hand, stopping him as she directed him toward her daughter and asked him to address his speech to her while she added clarifying: "Actually, I am but a chaperon. The real negotiator is Kanari Crocotta, If you have any concerns, please forward them to her." 

Francis observed the young lady in confusion, he remembered the scene in the garden and said to himself "that's what was going on… It seems that I was courting the wrong lady. Another clap for you, Hendrickson." then he gave the young lady in front of him a serious look. 

Kanari never shield her eyes away, the rhythm of her breath was calm, she didn't even glimpse at her mother for confirmation, yet her head was boiling from what she has reflected on a few minutes ago. 

She repeated over and over to validate her standing: The Count has been just a side bystander. He was never the real invader of their farm. The actual person who was controlling, managing the farm was the hairy chimera, the grapheme lore dealer, the ex-servant of Lord Shiva. The Count must be one of his contractors, perhaps the main contractor. But why the Count accepted to work with the Crocotta and drop his contract with the magus?

 kanari eyes fell on the documents in front of her eyes and read the name of Mr. Hendrickson. She wondered why this man's name appears whenever there was some kind of conflict of interest. Although she has yet to find the last puzzle piece. 

The magus wanted the chimera farm and made a contract with the crimson lord, so he could use his power in return for what? 

 Kanari didn't understand the real benefits the Count will get with his contract with the chimera magus. But, from what she had concluded this must be the primary deal between them.  

However, the crimson lord intention was something else, he knew that he won't get this farm without a fight with its owner - the Crocotta -, thereby he pretended to comply with the magus intention and used him. So, when the Crocotta arrives the Count will drop his contract with the magus, leave him to his doomed fate and make a second contract with the Crocotta.

In summary, the Count was planning this from the start, he was aiming to take only Mr. Hendrickson share of this farm. His contract with the magus was but a temporary one.

Kanari glimpsed at the aesthetic of the hall as she recalled her mother words about the Count true nature, her mother was right, the Count is not a mere hopeless dreamer, he is dangerous and cunning.

Kanari was a bit confused about her deduction, as much as it was the most logical conclusion she gets to. She still didn't understand the Count real motivation. She heard him address Mr. Hendrickson as if they were friends, close friends.... Then why he is trying to snatch his share? 

Whatever, Kanari scratched her head and decided to concentrate on her mission...

All the documents placed on the table were exchanged between the two parties. Each side revised carefully the terms and conditions. Then, before they signed the contract, Francis dropped a question: "There is no guarantee of my personal safety after I get out of your territory?" It was cheese in the trap, hence He tried to hide his objective by adding: "I mean who knows when an unsatisfied member of the clan will follow or send someone after my life…" 

"My lord, your death isn't our objective and it will have no gain that benefits us. We just want to retrieve what belonged to us without casualties, and we are hoping to preserve the already fragile balance that keeps our two species."

I won't promise but I may post an advanced chapter for Christmas.

1