Wallkin Corner- Samuel’s Adventure (1)
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Samuel Goldsun, do you believe in a happy ending?

"Of course I do." The spearman spoke in a matter of fact tone, as if he had already seen one himself.

It makes me wonder where he gets this optimism...

"You're thinking too much."

Am I...? Do you not see the tragedy that awaits our heroes? You have seen their Death Flags yourself.

"I've seen all of them, but the audience hasn't."

( ・◇・)?

"The genre of this story hasn't been decided yet."

It has. You just can't see the META.

"It doesn't matter to me. I can imagine a happy ending." He smiled knowingly towards the sky.

Samuel was an arrogant individual...

"That's just your opinion."

And my opinion is law. I'm the only person with the widest perspective of this story: The Narrator!

"You're right. However, you are lacking something."

Which is?

"You are a 'Living Computer'. The fact that you can barely notice the tone of this story proves my point. 

If you were more like a 'Mad Scientist', who had some initiative, you wouldn't dislike me much."

I am an impartial narrator. I'd never said I dislike-

"Some things are shown rather than being told. Am I right or wrong?" He cheekily interrupted me.

Urgh, why does he have to bring this nonsense out of nowhere... What does he think this is? An Otaku Hero's Journey? There are no Otaku nor anyone here who remotely makes Anime references at all.

Even Alex could only said a really old pop culture reference about aliens in the fourth chapter...

"Who says there are no Otakus here?"

I do, and the narrator is always right.

"Mr Wallkin, you don't see the Otaku?" He licked his lips as if he had come across a juicy topic.

What a real weirdo... What did he want from me?

"Do you know where I am?"

Of course, you're at-

"Shh, don't narrate my location~"

Then what about the time?

"Don't narrate that too."

There isn't a reason for me not to.

"I want to keep this conversation alive~"

Samuel's whole atmosphere was like: ヽ(•‿•)ノ

He was practically waving his arms at nothing in particular. Acting a bit crazy. This isn't a video...

"I don't look like that."

Who cares? And don't tell me what to narrate! I'll do what I want. I see no reason to listen to you.

"Come on~ You know we're two peas in a pod~!"

You're talking nonsense again....

"Don't you find it exhausting narrating the same things all the time? I know that you're interested in me." He gave a wink, causing me to feel disgust. I don't know about others, but I'm perfectly straight!

"My dear Living Computer, we complement each other~" His words were like ice on my spine.

Plus, I'm a Straight Dude!

(TωT)

"Don't overreact. I'm just saying that as long as you don't say the date, time, or location. Time will be empty and space will have nothing in it. The world will be a black canvas where we can have a time out." Samuel explained his conjectures.

I don't know what gave him that idea. As long as he was talking, then time was indeed moving forward.

"Time is a relative concept, especially in this story."

How so?

"You haven't noticed it already?"

I don't see why I should be noticing anything. What I narrate is only what can move the plot further.

"You have no imagination."

Then enlighten this old talker, will you?

"Mr Wallkin, how do you think time works?"

The past, present, and future.

"But you've forgot that the Author above you embodied the concept of time into a woman."

You mean Lady Clockwork? She is just an excuse for the time-travel component of this fiction. It doesn't matter if the Author turned a concept of reality into a woman, as the fact that time is built by those three building blocks doesn't change at all.

"It does~"

...You're mistaken. There isn't any differences in time in this work of fiction compared to the Author's reality. The past, present, and future, are all aspects of time that exist within this story.

"I never said that they don't exist. Only that you are seeing things in a perspective that is a bit too bias."

I'm not bias at all.

"That's what YOU say... but the fact that you'd ask me about how this story would end… means that you have your own desires for the Epilogue. I've given you so many hints when this chapter began."

Then...??? Are you saying there's no future?

"Exactly that!"

(╯'□′)╯︵┻━┻

"You're getting too cranky."

It's your own fault! What kind of nonsense are you taking about now? The future DOES exist...!!!

"Maybe it does for you, but I know the META well enough to know that only the present exists."

Explain... 

(╬ಠ益ಠ) 

"We 'characters' have our own lives inside this story even when you, Mr Wallkin, are not narrating anything, to the point that some of us can live our entire lives without you noticing whatsoever. 

Does this mean we don't exist unless you narrate about us? That we don't have a concept of time?"

Damn straight!

"Liar. You can't write an Epic Fantasy without characters other than the protagonist."

Aren't you proof that people don't exist if I don't narrate them? Don't you see the 4th Wall?

"I do, but you seem to see it as only a gimmick."

You're slandering me now...

"Am I? Do you not know the implications of someone being able to interact with the 4th Wall?"

Comedy? Being able to talk about pop culture?

"Close, but still no cigar. Being able to interact with the 4th Wall has made me realise... I'm 'empty'."

You have flesh and blood, don't you? I am unable to see why you're making a big deal about it.

"I know full well that I am mere words on a page. 

I have no physical body unless you say I do. I'm a mere imaginary entity with no past or future, only whatever you've already narrated about me. On top of that, you skipped my entire backstory!"

Samuel's annoyed face was like this: (`㊥益㊥)Ψ

He scrunched up his eyes and was looking real scary for a moment... but only for a moment!

"You little piece of-"

What a massive lie.

"You don't believe me?"

I'm unconvinced.

"Then why don't you write the entirety of my life's past? The hatred, happiness, loneliness, fear, suffering, warmth, and everything in-between. All the moments that matter and don't matters

All the eternities I've lived through paradoxes...?"

I don't have the time for that.

"See! You're not even feeling guilty about it..."

Why should I be? Do you seriously want me to bring up your dark history as some 'Time Lord'?

You had done so many stupid and irrational things before Lady Clockwork gave you her punishment.

(ಠ_ಠ)  

"I know... and I'm thankful to you."

For what?"

"If you had gone into full detail, then I wouldn't be able to escape the ghosts of my past. As long as you don't say them, I can act as if the past doesn't exist, just like your readers, who can turn the pages of this novel in any direction they want. 

...Ignorant of the details." There was a really rare emotional look on Samuel's face as he spoke...

...Which made me uncomfortable. The difference between the 'normal' and cynical him were great!

"Oh? Don't be a shy narrator~"

I'm not being shy...

"Ara ara~"

I'm not even going to explain how much I want to punch you after daring to speak to me like that...

…But I get it.

"You do?"

You believe yourself to be a lateral thinker. That you search for alternatives while I lexically do as I'm told. You think that you're 'creative', while I'm only sticking to the rules established by others.

You think I'm both closed and narrow-minded.

But you forget that it's my nature as a narrator to be this way... I am who you are and everyone else.

Sometimes, the way I talk shifts just to better express the kinds of emotions you 'characters' are feeling. I have a chaotic train of thought because I sometimes meld with the character I am narrating.

Their happiness, their sadness, their clarity, all that makes them who they are makes me who I am.

Unlike you, I have no concept of time because I am omnipresent in this story. As long as there are words being written, I am already there, and worst of all, I am there in the 'omnipresent present'.

"You haven't dissuaded me."

....Alright. You are right about there being a 'forever present' as long as I exist, but how can you accept your narrowness in perspective as something to be proud of? At least, you have your own backstory...

And as for me, I just exist for the convenience of someone else. Even my name is a pun made without much thought being put into it, unlike you so-called 'characters' with your entire lives planned out for you without every considering it... 

You are all more loved...!!!

If you were just like Alex and accepted yourself as a real 'person' before being a 'character', you'd be able to feel at peace with yourself... instead of only being able to find happiness in another's future.

"I know that already. Knowing that I'm a 'character' made me despair in the past, but I'm over it now. 

I just feel lonely when others are unable to see the world I see it... thinking of me as being crazy..."

I'm sorry about that.

"The Author of this work should be saying that, not you. You're as much of a victim as I am."

Still, sorry... I've always had my gripes towards you because you always interfered with my 'Role' as the narrator. I see the light now; you are necessary for this story. You're NOT just throw away gag...!!!

"Thank you." He made a gentle smile that would have broke the defences of any woman seeing it.

Too bad I'm a 'straight white male' though~

"That stereotype..." Samuel sighed at me.

What's wrong?

"I have a suggestion."

I am all ears.

"Why don't you work with me?"

And why would an omniscient narrator do that?

"I don't want there to be 'loops'. Alex should be able to finish things without using my Spell!"

You know that can't happen. I am the observer who makes your reality real. I can't interfere with it.

Whatever happens IS what happens. This world's Author won't ever let me change the plot to my convenience no matter how invested I become in you all as 'characters'. I am a overseer who merely watches, not a major player in this story's plot.

"I'm not saying you have to change anything."

Then what are you suggesting? You know the META and the tropes. I can never directly interfere!

"But you can if it is indirect, right?"

... ... ...I'm listening...

"Just help me investigate how to help Alex succeed without having to use my Paradoxical Return."

Didn't you trust him in being able to change the future? Why do you care if he loops or not?

"I know well the terror of 'looping'...! 

It's not as great as people say it is. 

I don't want him to become twisted like me... 

I hope that there will never be the day where he senses the 4th Wall! 

I just want him to be happy...!" Samuel collapsed to his knees and begged me, even though he knew that all of this might turn into useless efforts.

He had lived as a tragic existence sent back by the whims of another version of 'Alex' living in the future, while the protagonist of the present lived his happy slice-of-life... Though despite what I said, he 'lived in the future' more than most.

I consider Samuel the 'Future Alex' rather than the past protagonist of a retconned timeline. 

With the original version of him living way into the future Epilogue as the 'Past Alex', despite calling himself End. 

I respect him as my only friend in this world.

But to assist him would be to go against the nature of my own 'Role' as a narrator. It would be a betrayal of the neutrality my existence is supposed to uphold if I was to take someone's side...

But I came to a clear decision once he hesitantly asked with his fingers tapping together nervously:

"...Will you help me?"

Sure... But don't expect me to be able to do anything if anything tragic happens. I only narrate the story, not plan its future. You are going to have to rely on your own competence to help Alex.

"Thank you! You won't regret this! I will make sure he doesn't have to loop! I swear on my manliness!"

Whatever floats your boat. Anyway, why did you send those quintuplets Alex's way out of nowhere?

"Oh? Let me tell me tell you something interesting."

And then, he told me about his plan...

Though the specifics of it will have to wait for a future chapter. This will be the end of the page~!

Plus, I always wanted to say this one thing:

To be continued...

0