Nia (I): Neither Fish nor Fowl II
64 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Very good. Now, I am the Duke of Enghraifft, and you are the Lady of Cysgod, hosting me for a luncheon with your husband. How would you greet me?”

Nia scrunched up her nose, thinking hard. She rubbed the silver fork with her polishing cloth. The dark wood of the table was protected by a cloth napkin. The Upper Servants Dining Room held the two in a warm, dark embrace. A single candle lit the space between the two figures. It burned steadily, sending reflections sparkling off the silverware. Nia finished the fork, buying herself time.

“Your Grace, I welcome you to my Lord’s estate. May Eurig shine on your endeavors, and Cecil keep you safe.”

Nia stood from her seat to deliver a curtsy. She swept her hands up from the hem of her grey servants’ uniform. She cupped them out towards her mother and interlocked them in front of her sternum. She held the pose for a second.

“Nia, you are currently telling me that you are a Viscountess. Your head.”

Nia did some mental math and inclined her head further.

“Good!”

Nia’s mother gave her a serene smile. She nodded to her daughter, then returned to the stockbook she was going over. Nia flopped back into her chair, sending the silverware on the table clattering.

“Why do I need to learn this? I can do servants’ etiquette.”

She picked up a spoon and started polishing it. She bowed her head and shoulders in an exaggerated servants’ bow.

“Yes Sir, Yes Lord, My apologies Sir”

“Sweetheart, I know it is hard on you. Hmm…” The housekeeper tapped her chin thoughtfully. Nia narrowed her eyes at her mother. That was the sort of ‘hmm’ that made Nia nervous. Nia’s mother put aside her stockbook, paper, and pen. Nia caught the mood and put down her spoon.

“I was going to wait until your birthday to tell you. In a perfect world, we would be preparing for your coming-out ball.”

Nia cocked her head.

“Coming-out ball?”

Nia’s mother looked through the dancing reflections on the wall. She stared into a glittering past that Nia could not touch or imagine.

“Your coming-out ball is the most important day of your life. Do you remember Lord Owen’s birthday parties?

She did not wait for a response, lost in her past.

“Your coming-out ball is the biggest birthday party you can imagine. Lords and ladies in fine clothing, beautiful dresses swirling on the dance floor. Young lords lining up to kiss your hand.”

She clasped her hands at her chest. The ghost of a smile flitted across her face. For a moment, she seemed younger. Her back straightened, and her green eyes seemed to sparkle like gemstones in the candlelight.

“My coming-out ball was where I met Lord Lewys. He was so handsome, like a priceless statue. So many of the other young lords were so earnest. They were like eager puppies around a lamb cutlet.”

“He was not like them. He kissed my hand like the others, but he always so aloof, so strong. He leaned in to whisper in my ear and told me that I would be his. The audacity!”

She glanced at Nia, and the girl could see the echo of the mischievous Lady Rhoswen.

“I was the only child of the Lord of Aberoedd, a noble lineage that went back to the start of the Empire. He was the second son of a barony that had only been worth the name since his father inherited. His cool confidence was exhilarating.”

Rhoswen stared through the glimmering reflections, and the years fell back onto her like autumn leaves. She pulled the papers back in front of her and looked down at them to hide the glitter of tears.

“In any case, your coming-out ball is the event where you are introduced to society. It is where you will most likely meet your future husband.”

Nia could hardly see the bittersweet smile on her mother’s lips, but it was there. Her heart ached to see it.

“Of course, with… everything, I will not be able to provide you with a coming-out ball. Hosting one for an illegitimate child ‘would not do.’ Never mind the fact that you are the child of a lord and a lady.”

Nia frowned.

“Then why…?”

“Owen’s coming-out ball is next year. It is not the same thing for lords as ladies, but it is still a ball. And Lord Lewys has consented to allow you to attend.”

Nia’s mother turned a brilliant, fragile smile to her daughter. Nia wanted to return it, but… She did not understand why serving at a party was such a great thing. She rubbed the back of her head in confusion.

“Um. Wouldn’t I be attending anyway? They usually have everyone serve guests at big events.”

The lady-turned-housekeeper giggled, a little of the fragility leaving her.

“No, dearest. He agreed to let you attend as a guest.”

Nia blinked.

“A guest? Like, in a fancy dress?”

“It is not a coming-out party. But it is close. Perhaps we can find you a lord for a husband. Maybe we can yet give you the life you should have had.”

Rhoswen’s smile cracked, and sorrow oozed through the cracks. Nia got up and ran around the table to hug her mother.

“Mommy, my life is good!”

Nia just wanted to make her mom feel better. She hugged as tight as she could, as if she could squeeze the sadness from her mother’s frame.

“I know, dearest.”

Nia hugged tight. After a long moment, her mother kissed Nia on the top of her head.

“That is why. We have so little time, and your etiquette must be absolutely perfect. You need to be the very picture of a lady.”

She gently extricated Nia from her embrace. She held her at arm’s length.

“So! Shall we get back to it?”

 

Nia placed her teacup with a gentle ‘tink’. Gwen picked up the teapot and held it over Nia’s cup.

“More tea, Lady Nia?”

“If you would be so kind, thank you Princess Gwendolyn.”

Gwen giggled as she poured fragrant tea into the small vessel.

“It sounds so strange to hear you call me that.”

“Isn’t that what your teacher calls you?”

“Yes, but you and Owen have both called me Gwen for as long as I can remember.”

“You are Gwen!”

They both giggled and Gwen sipped her tea.

“It sounds so romantic! All those lords and ladies, there for you! Imagine getting swept off your feet by a charming prince!”

Nia thought about it and her lower lip jutted out in a small pout.

“It won’t be my ball. I think I mostly just want to dance in a pretty dress.”

“Oh! Do you want to try on dresses?”

Gwen dragged Nia to her wardrobe. Behind them, the tea steamed forgotten on the table.

 

Thank you for reading!

 

Please drop me a comment! I always love to hear from you!

7