Chapter 21 B
1.4k 8 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 21 B.

 

       It was notably quieter in the dungeon lobby. Two adventuring Guild attendants we're standing behind their counter. Oodson's large frame and one eye carefully cataloged a selection of knives before he stepped through the back door to the adventurers Guild quartermaster's storage area.

 

11:50

 

       The Titans shield group were sitting at a large booth alcove, and there was only one other adventuring team in the foyer. Titus, Lucius, Branwen, Chariklia, and Clymiphae all got up when they saw my group walk in. Fully kitted in their respective armor, Clymiphae gave me a warm smile. 

 

       "I see most of you are ready Exalted Lord Grayson. A Pleasure Exalted Lady Ashley and Rachel. Will the boviness be going unarmored?" 

 

       "Wouldn't dream of it, I wanted your opinion Chariklia on armor for her, since you two are similar." I asked.

 

       "Humm… may I talk to her alone Exalted Lord?"

 

       "Of course… Milly." I said, indicating she should follow the powerful form of the ox woman. 

 

       "How would you like to handle the dungeon today Exalted Lord?" Titus asked.

 

       "I think we can power through the first level, and I want to try and finish the second level. I have some ideas but will wait to discuss them."

 

       "Very well, I thought as much. We prepared for a longer campaign, so all should be well."

 

       Moving over to Oodson, I said, "I am going to need some armor for my boviness and a weapon. Also, the sober up potions and a few warming ones as well."

 

       "Let me get them Ready Exalted Lord Grayson. Congratulations on your house."

 

       "Thank you Oodson." I said as he went and got the potions ready. When he came back out with the items, Milly and Chariklia walked over to me. 

 

       "By my best estimate Exalted lord, Milly will make a fine hammer wielder. I would suggest getting a beginning hammer as she is low level, but that will change quickly in the dungeon. It may be wise to have her level completely on the first floor then exit before we head to the second."

 

       "That was my thoughts as well, and armor?"

 

       "As she is a milk producer the body stat, strength and speed should be her focus. Shield and hammer to start but a two-handed hammer later on. As she will be an up-front fighter for you, heavy armor for her." 

 

       "Got anything that fits the bill Oodson?" 

 

       "I have a few things in the back, price?"

 

       "Platinum is fine as she will be with me for tests."  

       

       "Very well…" Oodson said, heading off to gather the items.

 

        21 platinum coins later, Milly was mostly outfitted. The dungeon gear that was sold did not offer a complete set of armor for the price, but what I got for her would work for a while. 

 

       A simple kite shield from the fourth floor and a one-handed war hammer that an adventure had parted ways with. The mismatched armor that I had acquired for Millie was a complete full breastplate, pauldrons, and arm guards. I was lucky enough to acquire an open-faced helmet as well that had cutouts for her small horns. Greaves accompanied boots and a heavy leather segmented skirt with iron plates fused onto the top, protecting her upper thighs and knees.

 

       The rest of the group had gone and retrieved the party tags from the dungeon pillars, and when we were finished, Milly went and retrieved her dungeon chain. 

 

       "Are we all ready?" I asked. 

 

       "As ready as we can be Lord Grayson." Titus answered as we moved through the portal. 

 

12:00

 

       "Sober potions everyone," Titus said as we entered the start of the cave-like area for the first level. Everyone pulled the potions out and drank.

 

       "Those are nasty…." Brie said, her red tails squirming in the air as she finished her drink.

 

       "I know, I hate to make you drink them…will be done hear quickly though." Ashley said, coming up behind her two kitsune and rubbing their backs. 

 

       Allie's face firmed at the touch, not wanting to disappoint her mistress. Shield in one hand, arming sword in the other. Brie got both of her two arming swords out, dual-wielding being her preferred style of combat. 

 

       "Branwen, take the lead, Clymiphae guard the rear. Eyes up everyone, let's go." Titus directed. 

 

       We moved through the tunnel easy enough; none of the traps had changed from the day before. We quickly disarmed the gas traps and made it over the pit. I had opted to just incinerate the plants on the ledge, Knowing that Sasha and Milly might have problems with the plants at their current level. 

 

       Arboretum snakes fell and slithered out, trying to sink their venomous fangs into us. The speed and dexterity of the Titans shield proved to be far too high for the intoxicating biters. Each snake caught was given to Sasha, Milly, Brie, or Allie to kill. I was allowing them to gain experience quickly and prepare them for the second floor. 

 

       "Let me try these." Rachel said, coming to the front when the first of the lamia was spotted. Her armor looked like thousands of tiny scales and plates over her body. The armor moved with her in perfect tandem, each part having an enchantment on it. Her helmet would shift from an open face to a full face whenever any combat was started. A physical shield and a magical one would spiral out from her arm, and the number of magical gadgets she had was incredible. 

 

       Newly-made silver discs tumbled in the air and struck the forth-coming lamia. A sizzling pop and hiss accompanied by flickers of blue lightning arched across the bodies, completely immobilizing the lamia. 

 

       "Good they work, I think for the queen three of them will hold her down for 30 seconds or so."

 

       "Good that should be plenty of time for the Kitsune and boviness to kill her or get close." Titus said as Milly smashed the head of one, and the swords of Sasha, Brie, and Allie punched through the throats of the others. 

 

       We all kept an eye open and watched the backs of the lower leveled members of our party as they slaughtered the lamia that crossed our path. 

 

       Coming to the first path guardian, the five lamias that were there were dismembered and killed. The tree failed in protest, "Lord Eric do you want to kill it?" Lucius asked.

 

       "No, let me try this." Casting a paralysis spell, causing the tree to freeze in place. "Go ahead Brie, Allie, Sasha and Milly. I can hold it for a time."

 

 

       The four moved quickly and began hacking at the trunk of the oversized tree. When it was carved through and had fallen on its side, I let the spell go. Rachel was staring at me with her head cocked. 

 

       "Impressive lord Eric, quite a bit of plant magic. Do you need to rest?" Titus asked, as Ashley fawned over Brie, Allie, and Sasha. Cooing over the small splinters they had gotten. She was treating them like life-threatening injuries.

 

       "I will rest on the way and take a mana pill if I have to." 

 

       "Ofcourse."

 

       The next pathway guardian was guarded by a total of seven lamias. But the use of Rachels discs and Sasha's shadow tendrils, with the help of the others, they were quickly subdued. Pulling a small light blue pill from my ring, I popped it in my mouth and felt the overflow of mana pour into my body. Directing the same paralysis spell, I froze the tree and, unknown to the others, most of the rest of the creatures in the surrounding area. Insects and other plants also fell under the spell allowing for the buildup of mana to be quickly used.

 

       The four quickly got to work slashing with their swords and smashing the tree with the hammer. It fell after just a few too many moments of work from the four. 

       

       "Should I look for the chest?" Chariklia asked.

 

       "No, we will just take the one with the Queen. We'll probably find the hidden ones on the second level, that's the goal after all." Titus said, the gruff stubble of his beard scratching as he used the haft of his spear to rub at his face. 

 

       Grabbing vines futilely tried to trip our party up as we headed towards the Queen. I noticed Rachel's armor would shift, and razor blades would spiral out of her ankles, slicing through the vines. 

 

       "Interesting armor?" I asked, walking up beside her. 

 

       "Oh…this, just something I have been working on since I fell in love with enchanting two years ago. Quite the paralysis spell you have, my armor could sense the magnitude of it." She said, giving me a knowing smile. 

 

       "Well, you know…."

 

       "It's ok. The armor is reactive, and I can also control it with thoughts. It's very mana intensive to use though. That's why I don't cast many spells, I feed it with my own mana pool."

 

       "Can it take any shape?"

 

       "No, but close. The plates and scales are held together by a reactive field enchantment that merges with a scanning enchantment. It's not perfect but most things are detected. Wait to you see some of the weapons I have built into it." 

 

       "That armor, I swear…She has spent more time working on it then on me." Ashley said, sticking out her tongue. 

 

       "Really, well let me know if you need a mana pill or something, I have plenty of them." 

 

       "I have some but thank you." 

 

       "Queen up ahead, will take out the smaller lamia. Rachel you can immobilize the Queen?" Titus asked.

 

       "Yes, should be easy."

 

       I felt bad for the lamia queen, as she stood no chance against us. The nine lamias around her were dead in seconds as she charged in. only to be stopped in a convulsing pile of flesh, allowing for Sasha, Brie, Allie, and Milly to quickly go to work on her. 

 

       Not keeping my eye out for any surprises that did not come, the four finished off the Queen. 

 

       "Mistress, I'm level 28." Brie said excitedly, running up and kissing Ashley on the cheek.

 

       "I'm level 27." Allie said happily, rubbing her face on Ashley's hand. 

 

       "Aww…I am so happy for you, excellent work." Ashley said, pulling them both in for a hug. 

 

       "I made it to level 28 as well Eric." Sasha whispered into my ear; the leather of her armor pressed firmly into me. 

       

"22…is that ok?" Milly said hesitantly.

 

       "Wonderful Milly, all the way from level 8. Don't worry I want you at a high level. I won't reset you." I said, taking her hand in mine and reassuring her with a smile. 

 

       "Found the chests." Branwen said. Lucius went over and helped her bring it out to the group.

 

       Opening it, I found the level two tags for everyone who had not had one. The other items were odd, however. They had definitely been made with members of the group in mind.  

 

 

       Items.

           Amphora of the cow. Quality: Finely crafted. Scarcity: uncommon. The container will only hold milk from one of the bovine species. The milk will stay fresh forever, and the volume is unlimited.  

 

           Brush. Quality: Exquisite. Scarcity: Unique. Perfectly crafted brushed to provide the best luster for tails and hair. Quantity 3.

 

           Sharpening stone. Quality: exquisite. Scarcity: Rare. Enchanted sharpening stone. Will expertly hone the edge of any blade, remove rust and repair small amounts of damage. Quantity 4.

 

           Hammer sling. Quality: finely crafted. Scarcity: unique. Adjustable sling to hold a war hammer of any size. Provides even weight distribution across the body of the wearer. 

 

           Mana distortion ring. Quality: Exquisite. Scarcity: personalized. Customized for Eric Grayson, this ring distorts the mana flow from mana use. Making it nearly impossible to decern the mana use or type.

 

       "The dungeon made these; it usually only does that on the higher levels. Never heard of it doing that on the first level before." Lucius said, looking slightly confused.

 

       "Best give them to their intended, dungeon might get mad otherwise." Titus said, glancing at me.

 

       "Right, I said passing out the items." Sasha, Brie, and Allie got the brushes and the sharpening stones. Milly got the hammer holder and the milk jug, though I put it in my ring for her. I took the mana distortion ring and placed it on a finger. 

 

       "Best head out and get some leveling potions. That way you four can allocate your points and we can head to the second floor."

 

       "I want to leave the dungeon." Was echoed as I was pulled back into normal time. Stepping from the portal, the seven of us walked towards Oodson. The titans shield came out a few seconds later. 

 

 

TITANS SHEILD.

 

       "Did you pick anything up from him?" Titus asked.

 

       "That spell, the second one he used on the tree. Had an area of close to 180 meters." Branwen answered.

 

       "Your fucking kidding me, for that amount of time to?" Lucius asked.

 

       "I've only heard about the ninths special units doing magic like that." Chariklia said.

 

       "Well, he's not normal. Clymiphae?"

 

       "He treated his slaves nice, and I think Sasha the four tailed kitsune called him by his first name. Only his first name."

 

       "I say we trust him; Rachel is comfortable with him and after she helped the last time, I trust her." Lucius said.

 

       "Yes, but let's try and find out what he is hiding first if we can." 

 

       "Good idea love." Titus said.

 

       "Well, I like him, that boviness is smitten with him and he was happy she got such a high level." Chariklia said, brushing her hair from around her horns.

 

       "Alright, let's go then."

 

       ERIC GRAYSON.

 

       "Oodson, I need some leveling potions." 

 

       "How many?"

 

       "Four, need to get my slaves up to level."

 

       "It is always a good idea to have a few guards for the tests." Oodson said, coming back with four potions, each three platinum coins. Taking them, we headed over to a booth and sat.

 

       Handing the potions out, Sasha, Milly, Brie, and Allie began to level. The potions provided the nutrients and innate energy needed to undergo multiple levelings. Chariklia had told Milly the best options for her, and she followed her advice. Sasha was already on the path to fight from range, and the two other kitsune were close-quarters fighters for Ashely. 

 

       Individual Statistical Analyses 

Name: Milly

Race: Boviness

Level: 22

 

Health: 100%

Mana capacity: 100.

Mana regeneration: .1 mana per minute.

 

Attributes: 4 per level. 0/56 

Strength: 10 (36)

Body: 32 (42)

Speed: 10 (30)

Dexterity: 20

Mana capacity: 10

Mana regeneration: 10

Charisma: 10

       

       "How do the levels feel Milly?"

 

       "Great master, I'm ready to smash some monsters for you." Milly said, wiggling in her armor as she flexed her fists.

 

       "I think she could hold her own now on the second level." Chariklia said from the group that had circled around us.

 

       "The levels will help; Sasha how are you feeling?"

 

       "Powerful master, and very hot…." Sasha said, arching her back and flickering her white and blue tails. 

 

       "Does everyone have warming gear?" Titus asked.

 

       A chorus of yes's came from the group.

 

       "Right, along with completing the second floor this is mainly a training mission for the guards of the Exalted ones. As such, we will pair up. Allie you will be with Clymiphae. Milly your with Chariklia. Sasha, Branwen will show you some things about being a ranger. Lucius take Brie, help her with fighting with two swords around a shield to give proper support. Exalted lord Eric you are with me. Exalted Lady Rachel and Ashley, you will be together as you are most familiar with the dungeon. Any questions?"

 

       Shaking our heads, we checked over our gear and headed back to the portal opening. Second-floor tags clipped to our dungeon chains.

 

12:40  

All right second floor here we go, thank you for reading.

 

Thank you to all my supporters out there. New, and old.

 

Have a few maps posted on my Patreon page if you want to check them out.

 

Did the characters get confusing?

         

 

46