Ch.15 The God King
134 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Did you know about the demon?” the leader asked the chieftain with accusing eyes.

“I had no idea,” the chieftain said quickly. “What, do you think I was colluding with the demon?”

The leader made no answer.

“I have to get the affected people back to their homes,” the chieftain said and hurriedly left.

“His behavior is suspicious,” said Sor Al. “It is unlikely that he was unaware of the demon’s presence. Let us deal with the possessed.” How did Sor Al want to deal with those possessed people? Weren’t they okay now that the demon controlling them was dead?

“They were not truly possessed,” said the leader. “Now that they have regained their wits they are harmless.”

“Even so...”

“We have destroyed the demon. Anything else is none of our concern. Let us examine the waygate and leave this place if it cannot be repaired,” she looked at the back of the chieftain with disgust. “The navigator will be here soon, with a guide. Let us wait.” What did they suspect that the chieftain done? Had he truly been colluding with the demon. There was a great mystery here, but the leader did not want to pursue it.

Karamen, Tiluniel and John lay on the grass for a while, tired from their recent ordeal.

“Nothing is more satisfying than killing demons,” Karamen laughed. “Seeing them dissipate into oblivion is one of my greatest pleasures.” Karamen had a great many ‘greatest pleasures.’

Dew sputtered on their aura shields. The three watched as morning dawned, the sun rising over the hills. It was a beautiful sight, the rays of light illuminating a stretch of green. Birds sang many different tunes above their heads, some no doubt puzzled by the overnight disintegration of the demon’s abode.

The navigator and a squad of twenty high elves came into sight, a wood elf guide leading them. “Get up,” Sor Al said to John, “it’s time to go.”

They followed the guide past a lake and a hill, and finally reached the waygate. It was a stone monolith covered in runes with a hollow at the center. Once upon a time the hollow must have shone blue from the aether flow. Now, it was filled with vines. It was quite big for a gateway. It could fit about a line of hundred people at once. The navigator examined the waygate for some time and then shook his head with a sigh.

“It cannot be repaired. It is too far gone.”

“So close yet so far from home,” Karamen sighed. His sigh was so filled with sadness that John wanted to pat his back.

The group made way back to the blade dancers, where the other high elves had already assembled. They bade goodbye to the wood elves and then boarded the Swift Retribution once more. John had mixed feelings about this trip. He had wanted the elves to succeed and find a way home, but he had also wanted to stay aboard the Swift Retribution for some more time. He liked it there. He didn’t know what awaited him once the elves ended their journey.

The landing party got onto the blade dancers and boarded the battleship. John went to his room, still tired from the previous night’s events.

John watched the windows as the ship ventured into the aether. He knew that the windows weren’t real. They were just holographic displays on the wall, connected to the outer sensors. Still, he found it relaxing looking out. John was supposed to be practicing fire weaving, Sor Al’s notes displayed in one corner of his room, but he decided to put it off for some time. He just stared out of the window, thinking of nothing. The Swift Retribution traveled through the aether for many days. In that time, John became somewhat familiar with the basic weaves for fire. He could weave a spark on his fingertips. It wasn’t anything much, but it was still something.

While staring out at the aether one morning John encountered a strange sight. He thought he saw a giant hand, keeping pace with the ship. What was that thing? He magnified the image. Indeed, it was a hand, shining with a golden aura. He could make out five fingers and nails. The hand was growing longer and longer as the ship moved ahead. He wondered whether to alert the leader. The hand suddenly moved toward the battleship and grabbed it. John felt a tremor pass through the ship. A second later the ship was flung out into real space, with darkness and stars all around.

The telepathic link warned the crew of danger, the lights turning red. John made his way to the Arbiters’ Bay in a rush. “What’s happening now?” he asked.

Tiluniel pointed to the holo image in front of her. A handsome man with a golden aura stood floating in space facing the leader.

“You will make a welcome addition to my harem,” the man said. He was very handsome, with long silver hair, and a face that would make most women swoon. He stood as tall as the leader. John wondered if he was a human. The humans John knew didn’t look like this.

“Be gone or prepare to die,” the leader shouted. The runes of her armor glowed red.

“How are they talking in space?” John asked Karamen. “There’s no air for sound to travel in.”

“No air, but there is aura. Observe, their lips do not move at all. The leader is adept enough at controlling the aura around her to vibrate at any frequency she likes. It is a skill that requires great deftness of mind.”

“How is he breathing without an armor suit?”

“A mystery,” said Karamen. “There are many strange things in the galaxy.” Sor Al had said all the elements existed everywhere, including space. Maybe he was transforming the elements into air and using it to breathe.

“You want me to prepare to die?” the golden man laughed at the leader. “My, aren’t you pretty when you’re angry. My harem needs a woman with such spirit.” The leader brandished her sword in an instant, aura sweeping towards the golden man. “I am the God King,” the man’s words reverberated in everyone’s ears. “None can defy me.” Beams of golden light pierced the leader’s aura shield. The leader’s strike was too weak to harm the golden man. She was hit by a swarm of golden lights formed at the tips of the man’s fingers. She drifted backwards, unconscious.

Banshee warcraft flew towards the golden man, their weapons screaming. A pulse wave formed around the man, and the warcraft drifted aimlessly in space, their electronics nonfunctional. The Swift Retribution’s main guns fired, colored lights filling the surrounding space. Arcs of light struck towards the golden man but not one could make it past his aura shield.

“How ruthless,” the golden man laughed. “You almost killed your own captain.” There was a golden glow surrounding the leader. The man had protected her.

Sor Al appeared on the holo display a moment later, her blue aura shield blazing like a star.

“Another welcome addition to my harem,” the golden man laughed.

Lightning crackled around Sor Al, and struck the golden man, one bolt after another. She raised her staff in one hand and crystal in the other. Fine red runes began to appear on the staff and the crystal glowed green. A wave of white light spread out from Sor Al, causing the golden man to drift away.

“Not bad,” said the golden man, red blood floating out from his nose, “but still a useless effort.” He waved his hand and a barrage of red fiery spheres headed towards Sor Al. Most of them were stopped by her aura shield but a few got through. Sor Al was hurt but she didn’t give up. Colorful spheres of light surrounded her, like floating bubbles and then flew towards the golden man. He fended them off, but one could see he was hurt. Sor Al could win, John raised his hands with clenched fists and cheered with the rest of the arbiters.

The next moment the golden man’s aura skyrocketed. A projection of a giant appeared behind him and let loose a comet at Sor Al. It exploded on Sor Al’s aura shield causing her to drift aimlessly in space, bereft of all her strength.

“If the leader and the realm mistress had fought together they might have stood a chance,” Tiluniel murmured. She closed her visor and raised her glaive, “Arbiters, prepare to enter combat.”

“No need for that,” the golden man passed through the bay’s force field. He had entered the Bay through the force field doors as though it was nothing. “I don’t want you in my harem,” he gazed at Tiluniel. “I can see through your armor. Your chest is too small. You, on the other hand,” he pointed to another arbiter, “are just my type. Come here.”

“Begone you pervert,” Karamen shouted. “No matter how ugly you look, taking a woman by force will never bring you true satisfaction.”

“Ugly?” the golden man scowled.

“If you weren’t ugly you would not be donning a glamour,” Karamen said. “Fret not. The universe has countless women, with both large bosoms and small. I’m sure that among them you will find your special soul mate. Leave our women be.”

“You dare call me ugly?” the golden man snarled. “I shall work you to the bone as my slave.” It seemed like Karamen had touched a sore spot.

Tiluniel had heard enough. “Arbiters,” she commanded, “Attack.” Just as they were about to phase out, a beam of white light spread through the bay and everyone disintegrated before John’s eyes. Had they all died just like that? John felt himself shudder.

The golden man looked at John with some surprise, “Oh, I almost didn’t notice you.” John saw his vision turn black, and then sensed nothing.

5