Chapter 24: Being a spy(2)
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“ Are you sure this is the person Emerson talked about?” a half-lion muscular man with scars all over his body asked?

In turn, a slender woman dressed in black answered: “Apparently so, I mean, she got the invitation, so I believe so.” 

“ She got all the supplies? Did you test her about the map? What about her relationship with Emerson?” The man fired a barrage of questions at the woman and so, the woman answered all of the questions, saying that she had already done all of them and Anne had passed them all. Of course, with high marks.

“ So, she shouldn’t be a bother to us, huh? What did she say that she was here for again?” the man asked.

“ She said that Emerson brought her here as the medic of the group. You do know that our previous medic’s incident, right? She must be here to replace that person.”

“Hahhhh…. Fine, get her dressed, and let’s get moving, shall we?” The man said, facing his other teammates.

His teammates gave a shout of confirmation and stood by for the order for departure.

When Anne, who was standing beside them heard his confirmation, she let out a sigh of relief and did as the leader instructed. 

After a few seconds, Anne finished and came out from the small coverage that a tree provided with her face and body fully covered in black.

It had seemed that the uniform was made out of a special material that presumably had the use of armor.

“ What took you so long? Even the weakest among my group can finish that in 10 seconds!” The leader nitpicked Anne with the smallest mistakes.

“ Well, let’s go!” The leader shouted and off they went, whizzing through the trees.

When Anne saw how quickly they were going, she picked up her pace, making her extremely tired when they arrived at the location. She was even nearly caught by a camera twice! It was a really close call.

When they had arrived in front of the tall gate, the leader glared begrudgingly at Anne, but left it alone as he was on a mission and he had to focus on what was ahead of him.

When Anne saw his gaze, she quickly lowered her head like Mary, thinking that she should have prepared better, avoiding this terrible first impression she had given off. She wondered if Emerson would ever offer such a profitable job to her in the future. She really hoped that she did.

Due to the quicker advancement in technology, there were not many vents left, as they were just there because they were too lazy to remove them.  As for the highly protected palace, you can say that there were no vents due to the high possibility of a breakthrough. All vents were replaced by economic devices that could change the wasted energy on something else and advanced filtering systems that could produce oxygen and filter out all the carbon dioxide. 

Well, needless to say, spies and thieves had to find another way to infiltrate houses, and they did! They created a 3D printing device that could replicate the destroyed parts of houses as long as you provided a colored 3D blueprint to it beforehand. 

 It was very convenient. However, these were only produced in the black market’s most secretive companies and were very hard to obtain. 

So, even though Anne had heard of them, she had never seen them in real life before. 

Before she had time to admire the device, she snapped back to reality and followed the group ro the predetermined place. The leader, who stood in the front, carried the device that soundlessly drilled through the extremely tough Tanium, which was basically an upgraded version of Super Magnesium. 

And in the back was Anne, carrying the repairing device. So, she basically had nothing else to do other than being a luggage carrier and a medic, which was not likely, seeing the skills of the members of the group.

She wondered what the previous medic did wrong to earn such hatred from the group because this was such a lovely, high-paying job. But for now, she kept that at the back of her head as she was in the middle of a job currently.

As they crawled through the tight tunnel, they suddenly heard a sound from behind, like a muffled sound of multiple people talking. 

And gradually, the voices increased in both volume and size. It grew to the point that Anne eventually thought that they were above the ballroom. 

But then, the voice suddenly died down and disappeared. Anne thought: “ I thought we were above a fairly crowded room this now, how could the voice just suddenly disappear?”

However, Anne decided to keep her thoughts buried under the abyss, until she was qualified to ask this question.

After a while of crawling, they finally reached the location with some minor mistakes. 

“ So, where’s the new product?” a raspy, low voice asked.

“ Here it is, your majesty.” a familiar voice said.

Even though Anne thought the voice was familiar, she needed to focus on the current task: to record the conversation.

“ Nice, can you tell me what this product is?” the raspy voice questioned.

“ This product is an upgraded version of the blood-” but the, the familiar voice was interrupted. 

“WHY HAVE YOU INTERRUPTED US???” the raspy voice angrily bellowed. 

“ Excuse me, your majesty and Baron Exor. My apologies for interrupting you, but the palace is currently in search of some prospective intruders.” an obviously flustered voice explained.

“ I DIDN’T HIRE SOME TRASHY SECURITY FOR MY SON’S BIRTHDAY! JUST WHAT AND WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? IF YOU DON’T GIVE ME A VALID ANSWER, YOU SHALL BE MET WITH SEVERE PUNISHMENT, IMPERIAL GENERAL!” the raspy voice continued, an oppressive and angry voice admonished. 

“ Understood, sir. This shall not happen again in the future.” After saying this, a united sound of the clacking of boots resounded in the soundproof room, and they left.

“ Ah shit, they’re not going to find us, right?” Anne nervously thought, not moving an inch from her place. She was even scared to take a breath. 

While this was going on Anne’s mind, the ballroom had descended into chaos. 

 

0