Chapter 4.3: Only if You’re Looking Can It Find You
78 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Emil had no clue as to who was singing. He hadn't caught the singer's quiet introduction in the beginning of the set, not many had. Nevertheless his body was enveloped in vibrating strands of sharp crimson light. 

Emil's eyes eventually became accustomed to the light and was able to make out the singer's physical features. He noticed that the singer was conventionally beautiful, exuding a masculine kind of beauty. Choosing to stand rather than sit, the singer seemed to be above average in terms of height, perhaps hovering close to six feet.

Darker brown skin, large round greenish blue eyes, and dyed blond medium hair done in medium braids, she could be mistaken for a fashion model. She wore a simple black denim jacket, skinny black jeans, and black boots, her overall appearance was striking. All this combined with a voice that was subtle yet powerful.

Emil was in love with her voice. It was a rich and full voice, containing layers and complexities. It was a voice that could constantly be mined for new dimensions, thought Emil. 

Four short and simple songs flew by. Emil was entranced by the minimalism of the song structure. Verse, chorus, verse, chorus. Sometimes a bridge. These were short poppy songs, but saturated with emotion and easy to follow. Curiously, however, the endings of each song left Emil with lingering thoughts, a desire to return and hear her voice again.

Eventually the singer announced that her next song, a cover of Daniel Johnston's "True Love Will Find You in the End," would be her last. A smattering of claps could be heard.

It was a beautiful rendition. Her voice resounded. But more than that. Even though it was not even close to the original Johnston version, it felt like the voice had the spirit of Johnston. Her voice's tone was freighted by yearning. The melancholic words would be felt through her deep notes, as if emerging from a dark earthy cave. At the same time a sort of naive hopefulness leaked out every time that her voice would strategically crack. 

Emil was amazed by the singer's control over her vocals. She might not be a singular singer like Anton, whose tenor voice could reach four octaves, but she was able to manipulate her limited Mezzo-Soprano range to deeply affect the listener. Perhaps her voice's capacity to relate and connect to listeners was on par with Anton.

This was clear to Emil. Even though his ears told him the truth, his eyes reinforced it. The lines of light threaded through the air, thick and pulsating with the emotion of the song. It connected the singer's voice to Emil's chest. The lines would form geometric shapes, a structure that eventually formed a tunnel of swirling light. 

Emil was captured by the light, enveloped in its ever widening structure. 

After the final chord, the song ended, the fingerpicked notes hanging in the air. Emil looked around with a wide grin on his face. He was surprised there were only a few people standing around listening.

He also finally realized that he had long been abandoned by Roy, no doubt to track down Anton and badger him to join the band.

Suddenly a woman next to Emil whistled loudly with her fingers. The woman playing guitar smiled at her whistle, recognizing the gesture of encouragement. After her whistle the woman then looked at Emil with a wide grin.

It was the woman Emil had met earlier. She was wearing his flannel shirt. It was clearly oversized for her body. Even with the sleeves rolled up, it looked more like a blanket or poncho rather than a shirt. Emil couldn't stifle his chuckle. 

The woman's smile quickly turned to a frown. "What are you laughing at?" she asked.

"Sorry, it looks like you're drowning in my shirt," Emil responded.

The woman retorted by rolling her eyes. "You mean my shirt."

"You're right," Emil laughed. Emil tried to recall her name. Earlier Natsumi had mentioned it, briefly. Yet the name still refused to enter his mind. 

As if noticing his thoughts, the woman reached out her hand. "My name is Tam," the woman said with a smile. 

Emil reached out his hand and began shaking Tam's hand. As he was about to introduce himself, Tam interrupted by saying with a slick smirk: "And you're the Bass Hermit?"

"What?" Emil was flummoxed. Apparently that rumor in the dorms seemed to have followed him even to this house concert. 

 "I'm just messing with you," Tam replied. "Your name is Emil right? Natsu told me earlier to tease you a little bit about your nickname."

Natsumi was a scary friend, thought Emil. He had to get back at Natsumi somehow. Perhaps some deep dark embarrassing secret from their first year at the dorms? Emil would investigate later.

"You can also let go of my hand now," said Tam. 

"Ah sorry!" Emil exclaimed as he let go. Apparently he had been absentmindedly shaking Tam's hand the entire time that he had thought about how he would enact revenge on Natsumi. Emil was embarrassed, and suddenly an awkward feeling filled the air between the two. 

Suddenly a voice disrupted this awkward air. 

"Seems like there's a good vibe going on here, should I be jealous?" 

 

3