Chapter 4.4: Only if You’re Looking Can It Find You
73 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Seems like there's a good vibe going on here, should I be jealous?"

Seeing Anton approaching, Tam simply let out an awkward laugh. Emil followed Tam's lead and also let out an abrupt chuckle. Accompanying Anton were Roy and Natsumi. 

After seeing Emil and Tam together, Natsumi and Roy exchanged curious looks with one another. Natsumi then scuttled up next to Emil and greeted him with rapid pats on the back. At the same time, Natsumi winked in an exaggerated manner, as if implying that they had seen something they should not have seen.

Knowing better than to add fuel to the fire, Emil responded to Natsumi's teasing with a look of calculated indifference. Realizing that Emil wouldn't be playing along, Natsumi shifted their attention from romance to business.

"Emil, this is Anton," Natsumi said with a wide grin. "Have you two met?"

"No we haven't," replied Anton while reaching out and grabbing Emil's hand. "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you as well," Emil said, "I really enjoyed your set earlier."

"Thanks," Anton responded with a friendly smile. It might have been in his head, but the grip of Anton's handshake turned a bit more aggressive.

"This is our Bass Hermit," Natsumi interjected, winking this time toward Tam. A laugh unexpectedly popped out of Tam's mouth. 

"Bass Hermit?" Anton asked with a quizzical look. Emil simply responded with an exhausted shrug.

While glancing between Anton and Tam, Natsumi began emphatically patting Emil on the back again. "Emil is the reason we're trying to start a band," said Natsumi, somewhat proudly.

"He's the one who convinced you both to start a band?" Tam said with surprise.

"Yeah, I guess I got lucky," Emil responded.

Although Tam didn't know Roy personally, they would often cross paths at different shows and parties. Tam always heard that Roy was known as a music snob in the social circles they shared, and was notorious for refusing almost, if not all, requests to join different bands.

"That's impressive!" Tam looked at Emil with widened eyes. 

"I heard from Roy that you're looking for a singer," Anton suddenly interrupted with an annoyed tone. 

"I think you should come jam with us and see how you feel," Roy said confidently. 

"Maybe," Anton replied, "I'm pretty swamped since a few other bands have asked me recently." Emil noticed Anton glancing toward Tam. Tam however, was distracted.

"Zora!" squealed Tam. 

With Tam's excited greeting, the other eyes looked toward the just arrived person. It was the singer who just finished her set. Tam gave the singer an excited high-five. The high-fiving scene looked somewhat comical, with Tam being about five feet tall, while the other woman towered almost a foot taller. Without skipping a beat, Tam cheerfully introduced the singer to the rest of the group.

"This is my amazingly talented roommate and bestie, Zora," said a smiling Tam. "She's also in the fine arts program and she's also looking for a band." Tam raised her eyebrows twice toward Emil. 

"Tam..." Zora said quietly, as if embarrassed. 

"I loved your set," Emil said excitedly, "your cover of True Love Will Find You in the End was just profound." 

For the next few minutes, Emil would profusely compliment Zora's set.

Everyone, especially Roy and Natsumi, were taken aback by Emil's emotional outpouring, piquing both their interests. They both apologized to Zora for missing her performance.

Zora was quiet at first, as if on guard. After all, she was usually ignored at these kinds of house shows and this sudden attention was surprising. Tonight was one of the rare times that Zora was able to get a slot to perform as a solo act. It had been a year since she had been in a band, which had imploded disastrously.

With her last band, Zora simply played rhythm guitar and performed backup vocals, and every song she had written and had presented to the band, had been rejected. After her band fell apart, while playing the few solo shows or open mics, barely anyone would listen in the audience. Many would simply come to the shows for the bigger names, like Anton, and leave whenever she meekly introduced herself. 

During the last few performances especially, Zora had been especially been worn down by the lack of attention from the audience. If it wasn't for Tam's consistant support, she might have quit publicly playing and singing her songs. 

All of these thoughts rushed throughout Zora's head, and she blushed from this sudden attention. These famous campus figures--Natsumi and Roy--notorious for their discerning taste, were paying attention to her and ignoring Anton. She snuck a glance at Anton, who had become more visibly annoyed.

The focus had decidedly shifted toward Zora, and he just couldn't stand it. A small smirk crept along her Zora's face. Even if this was an exceptional moment, she would still relish it, as she really couldn't stand Anton's cockiness, nor his obvious desire to get with Tam.

For a brief moment Zora allowed herself to fantasize about being asked to join Natsumi and Roy's new band, but she quickly pushed the thoughts out of her head. She had learned, over time, to harden her heart to such frivolous optimism. Still, she felt good about this new person, Emil. He seemed to genuinely understand her musical intentions, and couldn't seem to stop talking her up to Natsumi and Roy. 

Soon, Zora thought. She had to excuse herself soon before the conversation became uncomfortable. After all, she had overheard them trying to recruit Anton as their band's lead vocalist. She had to excuse herself soon before she became too disappointed, before disappointment turned to envy, and envy turned to anger.

Zora, however, wouldn't get a chance to excuse herself gracefully. After heaping on piles of praise, Emil would suddenly say the unexpected, shocking everyone in the conversation.

"Zora, why don't you sing for our band?" offered a sincere Emil.

5