3.21 – Their Hard Work Paid Off – Downfall of Humanity
463 5 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Screams pierced the air as aircraft and vehicles careened into neighboring edifices, shattering them to ruins and releasing hordes of newly awakened zombies. The military, once brimming with resolute spirits, found their morale crushed within mere moments, their sense of security shattered.

Watchmen, tasked with safeguarding vital power plants, turned on their fellow personnel, launching a savage assault that plunged the world into an abyss of darkness.

Fear-stricken world leaders beheld this harrowing spectacle, their hearts filled with terror, only to find themselves succumbing to the same monstrous fate.

A maddening frenzy swept across the animal kingdom, leading creatures of every species to turn upon their own kind. Gripped by sheer dread, countless pet owners were forced to make the heart-wrenching choice of ending the lives of their beloved companions. 

Imagine a child you gave birth to, raised and loved unconditionally, hunched at you with devil-like eyes, and tried to chew out your insides. What would you do? The last thing you would think of is to grab a knife and stab it in the brain.

Videos, where a horde of zombie humans and animals tried to attack a nearby building, madmen who gave up on life ran out of the house and started to shoot all around mindlessly, spread around the world.

A man who killed his wife and son to end their misery cried above their corpses. He should have listened to Bing Shi more and forced his family to wear the gloves and masks, at least, he could save his wife. Now, he was alone in this vast world filled with nothing but darkness. Without a purpose, he killed himself.

There was not a person who didn't suffer at the moment.

Oh.

There was.

The female lead, Fu Lian, and Ren Han.

  · · ───────── · ⊱❈⊰· ───────── · ·

- Inside Bing Shi's base.

The white walls of the control room were adorned with flickering videos, each displaying crucial information about the unfolding chaos. The air was thick with tension when an abrupt gunshot resounded, jolting everyone present.

Bing Shi peeked her head from behind Yi Zen, who was forced to shut down one of his close subordinates. A soldier, which wasn't on the Bing Shi list.

Rising to her feet beside the motionless figure, Bing Shi addressed the assembled men with a troubled voice, her words laced with a somber tone. "I did everything within my power to rescue as many of our comrades as possible. Yet, for those brothers in arms from different units, I offer my sincerest condolences."

Overwhelmed by the weight of the situation, some of the indomitable warriors crumbled, their bodies sinking to the cold floor. With hands pressed firmly against their tear-filled eyes, they fought desperately to contain the surge of emotions threatening to consume them. 

Hearing their loud groans and cries, Bing Shi couldn't help but tear up a little. However, amidst the sea of emotions, Ren Han, standing at the rear, nonchalantly retrieved a package of gummy snakes, playfully tossing one into the air above him. With nimble reflexes, he caught it in his mouth and began to chew it with unrestrained delight, seemingly unfazed by the surrounding turmoil.

Feeling a sense of awkwardness in the air, Bing Shi hurriedly made her way toward Ren Han, extending her small palm toward him. "Please, may I have some?"

Grinning mischievously, Ren Han swiftly concealed the package of gummy snakes behind his back, teasingly questioning her, "For what?"

Bing Shi reached into her lunch box and retrieved a small banana, presenting it before him with a coy smile, "My sweet banana?"

Ren Han's eyebrows arched as he examined the diminutive banana offered by Bing Shi. Assessing the trade, he raised his package of gummy snakes, extending it toward her awaiting palm. With a subtle flick of his wrist, he let one colorful snake slip from the package, exchanging one snake for a banana.

Bing Shi blinked in surprise, her gaze fixed on the solitary gummy snake resting in her palm, "Only one for a whole banana?"

Peeling the banana, Ren Han took a satisfying bite, chewing thoughtfully. Swallowing the mouthful of fruit, he held out the remaining portion of the banana to Bing Shi. "Here." 

"Eww," Bing Shi grimaced and ran to her tent. Pulling off her mask, she bit off the snake's head and started to chew on it. When she saw those snakes, she had an urge to grab one for herself, which was strange, because they tasted like nothing, and had a gummy consistency, not to her liking at all.

'Maybe because they remind me of Xuan Mu?'

Satisfied with the business exchange, Ren Han finished the whole banana.

  · · ───────── · ⊱❈⊰· ───────── · ·

After regaining their senses, all the men wanted to save their families, but without a proper plan, they'd run to their deaths. While busying themselves around the base,  their eyes would occasionally wander toward a particular tent adorned with a prominent sign:

| Eating. Do not disturb. |

"..."

  · · ───────── · ⊱❈⊰· ───────── · ·

When Bing Shi emerged from her tent, she was greeted by an exciting sight that filled her with a sense of pride and honor. In the forefront, the leader Yi Zen stood tall, flanked by all the men who had formed an orderly line behind him.

Ren Han's party stood alongside them, ready to pledge their alliance. Straightening their posture, they faced Bing Shi, their right hands sharply raised to their eyebrows in a sign of utmost respect.

[Hidden Quest successful: Gain Yi Zen's trust. +1000p]

A broad smile spread across Bing Shi's face, filled with genuine happiness and appreciation for the men who stood before her. She returned their salute with one of her own, her hand raised in a sharp and swift motion. 

Meanwhile, Kuro, attempted to mimic the gesture of respect, raising its tail towards its head in an endearing display.

After countless efforts and unwavering dedication, the fruits of Bing Shi's and Kuro's labor were finally being reaped. 

  · · ───────── · ⊱❈⊰· ───────── · ·

One hour after the emergence of the first zombie, the world plunged into darkness as the blackout took hold. However, amidst the chaos, the cell towers managed to maintain operation, but not for long. Everyone had one day to contact their closest family, and friends, and download all of Bing Shi's instructions.

The prepared ones, like Ren Han's parents, used satellite mobile phones. Currently, his parents lived in a remote mansion far away from big cities.

Bing Shi looked at Ren Han's teammates. All of their phone calls passed, meaning their families were safe, which couldn't be said for all the soldiers...

Standing beside the seemingly impassive Yi Zen, Bing Shi couldn't resist the urge to inject a touch of lightheartedness into the tense atmosphere, "Do you want some tissues to wipe down your sweaty eyes?"

Yi Zen raised his hand into a fist. Before he could knock her head, Bing Shi fled towards a crying soldier. She offered the soldier, who lost his wife and a little daughter, some tissues.

Despite the sorrow weighing heavily on his heart, the soldier persisted in his duties, installing solar panels at the platform or building barbed fences around the walls. Others were monitoring the situation in nearby cities, trying to gain as much information as possible.

Yi Zen's family was gone. He felt no sorrow, the worrisome thing, he wasn't the only one.

19