3.38 – Eulogy – Downfall of Humanity
337 7 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bing Shi nodded in agreement, her eyes determined. "Someone else should be taught a lesson too," she said, casting her gaze towards the assembled soldiers. "What would you do if a bully wrecked your cherished car?"

"Blow up his car!"

"Fūck his mother!"

"Steal his girlfriend!"

Bing Shi's grin widened as she turned her attention to Ren Han, "And what about you?"

"...f...tsk...." Ren Han's mouth twitched. 

Was Ziek's plan the same as Bing Shi's? Were they both aiming to gain some control over the army?

At present, the soldiers were bound to follow their general's directives, even if it meant enduring bullying from the general himself or his future wife. Fortunately, they were not oblivious. 

Their opinion was changing; witnessing the rivalry between the top leaders, their hearts were slowly changing sides. Toward whom? That remained concealed, known only to them.

'Dear God, isn't he sixteen?! If I didn't have years of training with Xuan Mu, I'd be doomed...'

Bing Shi's message during lunch left Yi Zen somewhat perplexed. Was she and Ren Han attempting to assist him in winning Fu Lian's affection by adopting a bullying approach, or was there another motive at play?

However, the strategy appeared to be yielding results. His once-resistant kitten was now showing more comfort with his touches.

As evening fell, soldiers descended upon the city to aid its residents in managing the aftermath of the tragedy. Following the burial, Bing Shi found herself unexpectedly tasked with delivering a speech the following day.

  · · ───────── · ⊱❈⊰· ───────── · ·

Bing Shi stared at the microphone in her hand, her mouth slightly agape. Casting her gaze downward at the grieving individuals, the soldiers, and the rest of the base, she hesitated, "Are you certain about this? It's not easy to come up with something impromptu. I'd hate to make a fool of myself." 

She was seeking assistance, having no clue how to craft a fitting eulogy.

Everyone nodded; they had no idea that Bing Shi was the last person who should be given this task.

"Ehm," Bing Shi took a deep breath, her voice steady as she looked out at the assembled crowd, "This might come across as a bit foolish, but I can truly feel the weight of your pain. Anyone who claims that the ache of loss will ever fully fade clearly doesn't understand the emptiness that remains when a loved one is taken from us."

She continued. "Nobody can win against death. You fight. You fight until you can't go anymore, and at the end of the day, you can prolong the battle for the next few decades...at most."

Her words paused for a moment, the weight of her sentiment hanging in the air, "Yeah, I hate death, so I'll continue to live for as long as I can. For every day I live, I'm collecting tales, adventures, and memories that I'll share with my loved ones the moment we reunite," She thought about how to finish it, "May all of us rest in peace."

The silence was followed by sporadic coughs and awkward chuckles.

"Is your boyfriend dead?" someone asked out of curiosity.

Bing Shi was about to leave before answering his question, "Of course not. I see him in the light that fills my eyes each morning."

Silence

Her speech was...ehm...it was bad ─ sad, cheerful yet depressing. 

  · · ───────── · ⊱❈⊰· ───────── · ·

Inside the military truck, Yi Zen's arm was wrapped around his kitten. He turned his head to the person seated beside him, who was holding her snake close, and raised an eyebrow, "What special occasion made you decide to drive my car instead of Ren Han's?"

Bing Shi ran her fingers along Kuro's scales, "I missed Kuro."

Yi Zen watched their precious interaction, "What about me?"

Bing Shi put Kuro's head on her shoulder, "What's there to miss? You're not particularly exciting or cute."

"..." Yi Zen cleared his throat and refocused on the road,  "Do you think the same?"

Fu Lian nodded her head quietly, "He can be cute at times."

Bing Shi playfully tossed Kuro into the air, catching the snake deftly, "Well, if my boyfriend were rich, handsome, and powerful, I'd probably find him cute too. Who cares if he's a bit disrespectful?" Reaching her hands up, she caught Kuro.

Fu Lian, "Are you talking about us?"

Bing Shi looked up at the man, whose chilling aura was seeping out of his veins. She grabbed Kuro and pushed it against his face, "Yes."

Yi Zen took hold of Kuro's head, leaning down to wrap his arms around Fu Lian more firmly, "She is badmouthing us. Do you want me to teach her a lesson?"

Bing Shi's tone turned threatening, "Release Kuro this instant... I have a whole city in my disposition, and I'm not afraid to use it."

Seeing the struggling Kuro in his grip, Fu Lian shook her head, "I don't want to bring you any problems."

With Ren Han's actions lately and now Bing Shi's... Would he go so far just for her?

Yi Zen let go of Kuro's head, "As you wish."

["Are you alright?"]

[I'm fine.]

Bing Shi cuddled Kuro, and the rest of the drive back was wrapped in silence.

  · · ───────── · ⊱❈⊰· ───────── · ·

Back at the base, a soldier inside a truck leaned over to his comrade and whispered, "Was Bing Shi in a bad mood?" he asked the soldier next to him. Why did she attack their general?

The other soldier shrugged, a perplexed expression on his face, "I have no fūcking idea. And at this point, I'm too afraid to ask."

There was some conspiracy going on.

They had witnessed Bing Shi winning over the citizens, and if anything happened to her, the wrath of thousands would descend upon them. What could two hundred soldiers do?

With Ren Han standing by her side, they couldn't predict the strategies they might employ. Their general Yi Zen was powerful, but he wasn't all-powerful.

Amid discussions of new tactics inside a tent, Yi Zen received a message.

(Bing Shi): How did I do?

(Yi Zen): Average.

(Bing Shi): And Kuro?

(Yi Zen): The best.

(Bing Shi): I want two sweet potatoes. Purple ones. And a white mouse toy for Kuro.

(Yi Zen): Can't you be more specific?

Just then, a drone pilot rushed into the tent, his expression grave, "Our drones got taken out by the zombies using their abilities!"

"What the hell!?"

Due to the complications arising from the evolved zombies, the recruitment process had to be postponed temporarily.

11