3.35 – Gruesome Mosaic – Downfall of Humanity
505 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Harnessing the power, Ziek shaped it into a bullet, directing his hand toward the window before firing once more. A small flame bullet blasted out of his hands towards the window. It created a small hole while the heat of the bullet caused the surrounding material to melt and distort, 'Fire?'

Ziek eased himself onto the front seat and bent down to assess Bing Shi's condition. The unconscious person lying in the car reminded him that maybe, just maybe, he should prioritize them over his new superpowers. 

As he flipped her over, his brows knitted in perplexity.  He couldn't feel the texture of her clothes; instead, a sleek, glass-like surface met his touch.

With the curiosity of a cat, he picked up the human glass vase onto the seat for further inspection, and as if stirred from slumber, it sprang to life in midair.

"...What..." Bing Shi's gaze met the person holding onto her, her voice swiftly escalating into a startled wail. "Waaaaah!" She kicked into high gear, launching a ferocious assault of kicks. "Don't touch me! Let go of me! Don't touch me!"

Ziek promptly released his grip on her legs and waist, the picture of innocence. "You fainted, I thought of taking you to the hospital," he fibbed, wearing his best poker face.

Bing Shi scooted back, seeking refuge on the other side of the car, a look of sheer disgust painted across her features. His touch brought forth a nauseating feeling from her scalp to her toenails. (Or was it from the nosebleed that accumulated inside her gas mask?)

She yanked down her gas mask, hunching over the open door and retching uncontrollably. "...Ugh..."

Ziek barely had a chance to approach before invisible shackles clamped onto his hands, resulting in his comical expression. "... What the..."

"Don't touch me... Don't touch me... Don't touch me..." Bing Shi's muttered refrain punctuated her hiccup-laden speech. The blue barrier, resembling a growing bubble, expanded to encompass the entire truck. 

She raised her gaze to meet the gaze of the man who seemed to have an uncanny knack for revealing her secrets, then cast a sorrowful glance at her surroundings, "...My poor truck...ugh..."

Her eyes welled with tears once more. With a final grimace, she leaned over the open door and resumed her unfortunate retching episode.

"What is this?" Ziek deftly switched the subject as the invisible shackles released his hands. "An invisible barrier?"

Bing Shi's weariness was palpable as she asked, "You can't see it?" 

"See what?" He inquired, his smile broadening. "I thought you could only summon a white snake. Did you just go through a second trial?"

'He can't see the barrier? Did I just dig a pit for myself? 囧'

"..." Bing Shi wanted to slap her face, "Can you leave me alone?" Before he could protest, she added, "I know you have two superpowers...too..." Sleep wasn't in her plans with a stranger around, but she was too tired to even move.

How did she know?  Ziek didn't care about his new parents or his teammates, and Bing Shi wasn't an exception. He hopped on the front seat and asked for her car keys, "I want to keep one power as a backup plan, so lend me your truck." 

He extended his hands expectantly. However, the girl's evasive instincts took an unexpected turn, causing her to tumble out of the car. "..." Would she rather fall out of the car onto the dirty ground rather than let herself be touched by him?

"Are you afraid of physical contact?" he analyzed the past few days and raised his eyebrows, "Quite a great weakness you've got there."

Had he not known better, he might have concluded that she had been spinning a web of lies about her relationship with her boyfriend all along!  Refusing to spend time alone with men, avoiding handshakes and sparring matches, all neatly tucked under the guise of loyalty to her boyfriend! This entire time, she was crafting a narrative to conceal her weakness!

"Not afraid, I just hate it,"  Bing Shi mounted into the truck, settling herself in the passenger seat. With a casual toss, she flung her car keys in his direction before sealing the deal by closing the door. "Are you going to assault me? I can't promise that I won't puke on you."

Ziek caught the keys and ignited the engine, "I'm the one who should be asking. What the fūck have you done to LuLu Tan's face?"

Her eyes were rendered entirely invisible due to the intense puffiness that had overtaken them. On the lower front, her nose and face appeared to have had a rather brutal encounter with a blender, resulting in a gruesome mosaic of blood and pulp.

'To scare away my assaulters, maybe?'

"I wanted to surpass you in terms of looks," Bing Shi murmured, her eyes barely open. She settled onto the seats, curling up as if seeking solace. In a hushed tone, she whispered, "Did I do a good job?"

Did she just inadvertently imply that he was outright hideous? Upon comparing her appearance with his, Ziek's expression underwent a noticeable shift, "Hot damn yes. At least I don't reek of vomit and blood."

'Then why are you still here?! Just leave me alone for god's sake!'

"Thank you for the praise," Bing Shi replied with a hint of irony. After ensuring her well-being, she succumbed to a short nap, "Good night."

"Your compassion will be a death of you one day." Ziek's gaze remained fixed on the road ahead. What was lurking beneath that seemingly cheerful exterior? He wrecked her truck and deliberately did something she detested, and yet, there was no retaliation. Instead, she brushed it aside and continued to feign normalcy. That level of response wasn't exactly ordinary.

"I know, right? I'm too good for this world," Bing Shi retorted with her eyes shut. Too wary of her unfamiliar surroundings, she couldn't relax in the presence of strangers.

Ziek was startled by her response, thinking that she was deep asleep, "I thought you'd dozed off," he said, somewhat surprised.

"Yeah, I did. But you woke me up. No need for apologies though, I don't mind," Bing Shi replied with a touch of humor.

The remainder of the journey saw Ziek immersed in his thoughts, enveloped in silence. (So she could fall asleep again, maybe?) Upon reaching their destination, he parked the truck in front of a small villa that seemed almost concealed by the surrounding woods.

Feeling the car stop, Bing Shi opened her eyes and looked around her surroundings, noticing the nameplate near the front gates, "Meeting with the parents?"

"Stay put," Ziek instructed as he disembarked from the truck. Opening the entrance gate, he disappeared within. 

Seizing the opportunity, Bing Shi accessed the truck's compartment and took out a pack of wet tissues. With care, she cleansed her gas mask and face, restoring a degree of freshness.

Ziek entered the bedroom, draping a white sheet over two lifeless forms. With a solemn air, he transported them to the garden and laid them within a prepared trench. He then began layering soil over their forms, bidding a small farewell to his parents.

3