One
129 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I tried moving my head, but my body wouldn't listen. My mind feels heavy for some reason.
*static noise*
What is that sound?
I tried listening attentively but all I hear are buzzing sounds in my ear. It feels like the static sound from a prelude of a horror movie.
My pulse started to beat rapidly as I had these thoughts, but it did not take long before my mind started to turn hazy again.
Am I dreaming?
I started to question myself as I felt my body was in a state of being cradled in the arms of drowsiness. It almost feels like the warm embrace of your mother's bosom.
Let's stop thinking and just go back to sleep
However, before total darkness enshrouds my body, I heard something vague.
"Was he--- ---- ---- ----. "
"--- ----- ---- Impossible---- ---- ---- test was ---- ---- ----."
I wondered whether I was hearing things, but no matter how hard I tried to listen, I could barely understand what they were saying.
==========================================
*beep beep beep*

"Uhm"

The sound of a disgruntled voice was heard.

*beep beep beep*

A man reaches out his hand from under the covers, trying to turn off the item which was making the sound.

*thwack*

The man slowly stood up from his bed while massaging his head.

"Ugh, my head hearts. That was a weird dream."

He softly moaned as he tried getting up from his bed.

Looking around, it was a small apartment. A small sink, kitchen, and bathroom. At the corner, near the only window of his apartment was his queen sized bed, beside it was a small desk where his computer is placed.

He only had the bare necessities, inside the room. It was obvious as he did not have the space for other luxurious items, nor the money.
He went straight to the kitchen and boiled some water on the stove. He went straight for the fridge and grab whatever he could eat for breakfast, which wasn't much, he did not have a lot of choices between eggs or instant ramen.

It was a typical morning for him as he was about to go to work. He put on his white polo shirt and black slacks. Looking at his silhouette in the mirror a man with a clean-cut hair, tired eyes and lanky build can be seen. His looks could be considered average at best. Double checking his appearance in front of the mirror, he gave himself a nod and walked out of his door.

The man looked out from where he stood. His apartment was on the 51st floor which was supposed to let him see almost everything from the view. However, instead of the blue sky, the entirety was surrounded by other sky-scraping buildings. There was nothing much to see which made him continue on his way to work like normal. The time of the day was considered rush hour. Everyone was busily going to and fro, wherever their designation might be, everyone seems to ignore everybody else due to their busy schedules.

This was his life in the city.

He had hopes and dreams for a better future once he was able to work for a big company in the city. However, the reality was far from his dreams.

He became the same as everybody else.

He thought he could be special and become successful, but the years he had spent in the same company did not lead to any type of promotion.

He was part of the bottom rung of society. Every day he had to work from 8 to 5 in a small cubicle with more than 49 other more employees in the same room. The sound of clicking and clacking from 8 to 5 resonated in the whole room aside from the short breaks that the employees were given.

He sat in front of his computer like always and prepared for the long day.

He was now 27. It has been 5 years since he became an employee. He used to have bright and clear eyes that were filled with hopes and dreams is now gone.

All that was left were dull and lackluster eyes.

"Hey Sol, How was your weekend?"

The person sitting beside him peeked through his cubicle and tried to make some small talk.

"It was the same as usual."

He shrugged his shoulders like he did not mind and continued looking at his computer without minding his co-worker.

"You should have come. You know that chick from the Finance department that you like."

Sol started to prick his ears once he heard the chick that he liked, or more importantly, almost every single male in the company has fantasized about the young lady he was talking about.

Looking at Sol reaction and getting his attention, he started talking about what happened with vigor. He went closer to Blas' cubicle and whispered softly.

"Yeah. that chick with the full figure, Ruby. The guys were all over her. You know, they were trying to flatter her and maybe get a head start. I bet that chick is a slut who likes attention."

*Thud*

The two were surprised as they look at the other side. It was their manager who heavily put the file of papers on Sol's table.

"Finish this before the day ends."

After giving his instructions he walked away in a huff. His office-mate scrambled and tried to act busily when he saw their manager approach, Sol. He then gave Sol a wry smile and started focusing on his own computer.

"Sigh"

Sol gave a sigh and looked at the thick stack of papers on his desk. He couldn't figure out why their manager was giving him more work compared to the other employees every single day. However, he could only bow his head and work quietly and diligently.

'It's going to be a long day, again'

He cursed at his own misfortune.

It was around 7 pm when he was able to finish everything. This was normal for Sol. He felt that his manager was piling up more work for him to do every single day. But, no matter how he complained inside, he could never go and complain to their manager. He thought of leaving his work and working somewhere else but the thought of him losing his job and unable to find a better one hindered him.

*Clink*

0