Chapter 03
629 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

— [ WALTZ OF CROWNS ] —

-『CHAPTER 03』-

« Heiress of the House of Novaldein »
Velestina von Novaldein

A week have easily passed after I was given a chance to reincarnate onto the body of Veleina and her memories have finally fully assimilated with me, giving myself a sense of identity  since unlike those fragmented memories that I've eaten on the purgatory, hers are fully in tact completely within my mind.   

They have began this voyage onwards the newly discovered continent named Midras or more commonly known in layman terms as the «New world

All this time, everyone just assumed that «Aethos»  was the sole continent in their world «Valeria»  but after the return of the great explorer Ragallani on his journey to the ends of the world, he bought back news that he discovered a new lands beyond «World's Fall» and recorded a sea route to safely reach it. 

This logic defying discovery heralded the golden age of maritime voyage and colonialism. All the major kingdoms in Aethos thus began to expand their own naval fleets to embark on a quest to put their own respective flags into this newly found continent.

This golden maritime age have already been going on for almost two decades now and so far only the supreme nations have successfully managed to build and sustain a working colony across the New World. Naturally, the Arklaund Empire being one of the three most powerful nations across Aethos have built several towns in the New World.

"...And now I'm its acting Viceroy."

I muttered in a hollowed tone of voice before turning another page of this book called 'Chroniclia diela Novus Continae '

Its a book about the topography and environment of the New World that I borrowed from the captain's collections. It was written in foreign dialect but luckily for me, Veleina was tutored to learn such language so I can somehow read it more or less due to her knowledge.

In any case, I was lucky that Guillian, the captain is quite knowledgeable and have already traveled many times in the past across the New World so I can easily acquire information of the land from him. 

Anyhow, it seems the New World is presumed to be comparable to Aethos in terms of land mass. Currently, the only native locals known that resides in the New World are Elves and Dwarvenkind.

However, unlike those Lightelves which used to reside in the mainland that have fair alabaster skin and only lived in dense jungles, these race of Elves have darker skintone and are mostly preferring to reside more into plains and woodlands instead.

These Elven race for which the book's author dubbed to as « Darken Elves » (or Darkelves in less formal terms) seems to be the original residents of the New World and the majority of them have been hostile onto which whom they calls a « Gáishin » their term for foreign people which in Elvenian tongue roughly means apparently newcomers or simply—

Invaders.

At the beginning, these Darkelves simply ignored us, the newcomers but over the course of years, tensions began to brew when the Colonist began to build their own respective town and start preaching their religions whilst some even began to kidnap some elves to be sold back in Aethos as slaves. 

Henceforth after two decades of growing tensions and small scale conflicts, it seems the situation are finally about to implode into a full blown racial war between the colonists and those Darkelven natives.

Ugh, my head hurts...Why is it that war affairs follow me wherever I go? Dear grandfather, it seems these task you've given me just got way more harder.

I feel as if I'm going to spew tears of blood at the difficulty of it all.

First it was that task of building a nation and now I have to also quell those Narfá insurgents while trying to mitigate our relationships with those Darkelves.

I ruefully sighed.

W-Well that goddess had already said that I won't lead a stress free life so I guess I can't really complain.

"So let me get this straight—" I dryly stated as I momentarily paused my reading and regarded Guillian, the captain whom is currently maneuvering the stirring wheels of the ship my gaze.

"—Some of the biggest tribes of these Darkelven natives have been hostile to us to the point that they're about to go into full blown war against us but all of the Governor's there didn't do anything to appease the situation and you even dare claim that the Viceroy himself even encourage this brewing war?"

This is downright incompetency as its fullest!

Guilian made a conflicted face before exhaling a deep breathe.

"As idiotic as it may sound tis' true Milady...and the more uglier fact is that the Viceroy wasn't even the main perpetrator to blame for this."

I knitted her brows. 

"...What do you mean?" 

He gave me a pointed meaningful stare as if alluding onto something.

"....Do you think the «Sovereign Lords» wasn't aware of this mess?"

My eyes narrowed at that implication as my iris turned sharp like a blades edge. There's only three Sovereign Lords in Arklaund and one of them is my grandfather whilst the other is the Supreme Kaiser. I can ascertain that those two men are respected Lords so that only leaves me with the final third Sovereign Lord.

I had my hunches but to be proven of it is still somewhat shocking. 

"...So you mean to say is that one of Arklaund's highest governing Lords consented—or was it 'instigated' conflict to arise between us and these elven natives?"

Heavens! I want to raise my hands up in exasperation.

...Of course.

I should have expected it.

That old war mongering Sovereign Lord and his faction, already used these same kind modus operandi in the past.

I exclaimed a tired breath before folding my arms tightly together underneath my bosom.

With a curt snort, I uttered, "I'm guessing that greedy old hawk and his cronies have seen those natives as viable source of income and if a war broke out I'd bet they'd instantly ransack and turn those pitiful Darkelves into slaves."

Just like how they did on those Lightelves back at mainland.

I clicked my tongue in annoyance.

Arklaund doesn't prohibit slavery, but it doesn't condone acts of openly grabbing people and depriving them into slaves. An imperial mandate was made and it states that the only kind that can be turn into slaves are those people with criminal status and—

"—War Prisoners."

I stated as if its the most revolting thing in the world.

Back at the mainland about four decades ago, a prolonged war had broken out between most human nations and the Light Elves. The reason behind the conflict wasn't entirely clear but by the end of it, the light elves were hunted down to extinction. It was also because of this racial war that a certain warmongering lord had risen into prominence in Arklaund.

"...So that old decrepit warmonger wants to instigate another racial war in the New World so that he could have a 'cassus belli' to acquire yet again a mass of war prisoners to be sold as slaves is it?"

Guilian listened to me wordlessly then shrugged as if feigning apathy. 

"Well that's mainly the gist of the place you're about to manage boss, I'd say we got out of the pan and into the fire huh?"

I ruefully chuckled, half in exasperation.

"Absolutely. However Arklaund now is in the midst of an ongoing civil war. Luckily for us that means that old warhawk will be preoccupied within the mainland thus I can easily maneuver around the New World without his prying eyes for the moment."

I've spoken whilst standing up before walking towards the door. I then bid Guilian adieu as I slowly stride back to my living quarters. However, as I was making a beeline in the intersection between the kitchen and the sleeping quarters, I then noticed a vague little figure silently sneaking out of the kitchen. 

Huh...weird.

It doesn't seemed to have noticed me as it creep towards the stairs leading down onto the lower deck.

I narrowed my eyebrows with a certain glint in my eyes.

I'm sure I never have children broad the ship so...

"...Who's that?"

I silently whispered before sneakily following the child from behind.

14