Chapter 06
574 12 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

— [ WALTZ OF CROWNS ] —

-『Chapter 06』-

« The Last Lightelven Monarch»
— Roan Duskreign

I kept a close watch on the Admiral's granddaughter as she silently reads the message written inside the envelope I had just given her.

Velestina von Novaldein.

She's pretty much a well known individual all throughout Arklaund not only for being the sole heiress of the Sovereign house of Novaldein but also for being the fiance of Aurelius von Stein, the first born of the current Kaiser.

...Or at least was used to before it was annulled about two months ago. 

Unlike the majority of her peers whom prefers just intermingling in courts and social gatherings, this taciturn heiress has instead chosen a life of bloodshed and cutthroat politics.

Her name first became well-known due to the fact that she had become the youngest domain lord whom had took the role at the tender age of fifteen. Many initially mocked Lord Novaldein for choosing someone that young to handle the domestic affairs of their fiefdoms but contrary to everyone's expectations, this girl was able to somehow enrich their lands as it even gotten more prosperous under her rule.

However, her fame had truly skyrocketed when the Xenobian war broke out a couple of years back.

At the ripe age of eighteen, Velestina von Novaldein had wondrously showed her mettle by entering the Navy and personally even joined the soldiers in the battlefields to fend off Arklaund's invaders.

It is a very rare occasion for one to find a female joining in the army and its much even more so since she's also the only heiress to one of the Sovereign Houses within the country. Sovereign Lords have the tendency to protect and shelter their own kin much more so for their successors hence it really shocked everyone when Lord Novaldein agreed to enlist her on the Navy.

In an institution mostly dominated by males, her eye catching looks and high pedigree have instantly garnered everyone's attention right away.

Most initially assumed that she'll fail due to the sheer pressure but on the contrary, her success and valor in the war had earned her even more fame due to her brilliant defense at the northern border and ever since then, the name 'Iron Maiden Veleina' have arisen into prominence and infamy.

No one can deny that she's truly talented.

Nonetheless she's not entirely perfect either and if there's one thing to gripe about is that she could also be domineering and downright cruel.

All sorts of weird rumors can be heard about her.

Some says that she like to control people and will destroy anyone that tries to oppose her.

Another rumor says that she's so madly in love that she even tortured a girl that her ex-fiance fancies.

There's also that one for which is alluding that she may have an addiction of collecting blood of others and use them to bathe herself in a pool full of blood.

Hell, some even says that she's a perverted exhibitionist that has a fetish for arson and debauchery.

Howbeit, regardless of the bizarre rumors about her, one undeniable fact is that Velestina von Novaldein is a woman you don't want to mess around with.

Silence.

"...How long have you've been acquainted with my grandfather?"

I was suddenly awaken from my inner musings when the lady standing before me with an impassive tone befitting of the rumors, had asked me that question after handing back the envelope.

"About a year ago Milady," I inadvertently responded in a much more formal manner.

How Weird.

I've been alive for at least half a century already yet this lass not even more than half my age had somehow made me instinctively speak in a polite speech. 

Is this perhaps the so called inborn royal grace?

...Or is it simply because she's the so called 'villainess?'

My brows then sagged as those memories I've desperately tried to repress began resurfacing in my mind once again.

I internally smirked in self-depreciation.

We Lightelves have the power to manipulate the mind and as an added bonus, this also made us edietic with perfect memorization ability.

Simply put, we cannot forget anything.

While most Elves consider these gift as a boon, I on the other hand treat this as a curse for I can never truly delete those reprehensible memories especially that one I got from my past life.

...Yes.

I am indeed a reincarnated being. 

But I hate being reminded of it.

Silence.

 I let out an internal sigh.

I'm sure most people would probably rejoice if their given a chance to reincarnate in the game for which they love the most. To interact with your favorite characters and personally spend time with them has always been the dream for Anime Otaku's and I myself had also been the same in that regard.

However, Fate's a cruel mistress and it seemed to had played a prank on me. 

Indeed, I was reborn to the game I loved the most. However, the person I reincarnated into was entirely unrelated to the game's plotline and what's even worse was that I only recalled these past memories just ten years ago, right at the exact moment where I'd lost almost everything I held dear in my life.

It was the cruelest joke of all.

How come I only remembered it when I can no longer use these 'advanced' knowledge for the betterment of my people?

How come I didn't remember these memories fifty years back when I'm still young and I still have the chance to alter the ruination of my kingdom?

...How come it only surfaced when I've already lost hope for the future?

Silence.

I don't know who's the Maker of this world but my circumstance led me to believe that this entity is absolutely malicious for this bastard had only unlocked my past life when my current one had already been torn apart.

These memories are mocking me. 

Taunting me of all the possibilities I could achieve have yet unable to do so because of simply being way too late.

The notion that this whole world is merely a game is a huge slap on my face. A lot of people have sacrificed themselves just so that me and my little sister could survive but if this world is truly a game then does it mean that our fate's invariable and everything that happened are merely a script that some sick twisted Maker had ill badly contrive?

Stop messing with me!

I have all these wondrous knowledge within me. 

Knowledge that could turn the tides of war, informations about our enemies and methods as well as devices that could propel the Lightelves to an unparalleled advancement in culture and civilization. 

Yet this 'Maker' had only let me gain access to it when its already far too late.

I've already lost my people, kingdom and our lands so what use do I have of such memories? Its now only a waste of space on my mental faculties. Sure, I could probably try to recreate these items from Earth but I will never do it while stuck in Aethos.

That's why we are sailing across towards the New World.

For a fresh start.

To rekindle the hope within us once again.

As to the game's plotline and this Villainess?

Pft, who cares?

My past self would probably do everything in his power to ingratiate himself with these so called 'main characters' but my current self's already disenchanted by this world and couldn't care less anymore about the progression of the game's story. 

Judging by the look of things, the first half of the game which is the Royal Academy arc was already finished and the current timeframe is within the start of the second arc.

The Villainess was reprimanded for beating up the Heroine thus she is sent to the backwater colonies as a punishment but if things will proceed just like in the game then this girlie would conquer all of Arklaund's settlements within the New World and eventually she will wage war against Arklaund once she got wind that the Heroine's going to be crowned as the Kaiserin since any of the 'Male Capture Targets' will end up as the next Kaiser regardless if the target the player pick is liable for the position or not.

Their final clash should more or less happen around three to five years from now and quite frankly I rather not get involved since Arklaund will be in shambles regardless of who wins in the end.

The destruction of Arklaund is the best end game result for me so why should I intervene?

Just let it all burn to the ground just like what the 'Maker' of this world want.

Now as to whether this 'Maker' is a God, an Automatic Game System or perhaps even a Deranged Author, one thing's for sure is that I won't bend my will merely at their whims.

I knew that I was reincarnated in this world for a reason and I'm guessing it has to do with the game story. I'm already living in this world for half a century yet all my sealed memories have  only been 'conveniently' released merely ten years before the start of the game.

If that wasn't a clue then I don't know what is.

As to what the Maker of this world wants, I have only one thing to say.

I'm declaring a war with you—

I raised an imaginary middle finger in my mind.

I won't get involved with the Villainess no matter what.

13