Chapter 2 – Singing The Blues
36 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

♪"The song gets older as the singer gets new

The women get colder so the men catch the blues

And so the glasses get longer as the drinks get stronger

You might just drink your self into a coma, ‘cuz the

Times were rough just as the times begin, and the

Time stops, for plenty of men

I had my time stop on me and I asked myself why

I guess the time plays for the other guy, and it goes"

   

The song pranced through the air and into the ears of that evening’s bar flies. Smoke filled the rest of the air but did not bother the alluring and seductive singer. Her red dress bent perfectly around her curves, matching her red hair and lipstick. She paces around the stage slowly, moving through the cloudy room as the sax followed her voice. Her voice fades out, letting the sax take over the song. All eyes were still on the woman, who bent down to one of her fans at the end of the stage.

“It’s a duet,” the fan explains.

“interesting," she teases, not really caring.

“It more emotional when you perform it correctly."

“Is that what’s giving you the blues, Honey?” she said jokingly.

Berry forces a smile, not wanting to ruin the amazing solo performances she was doing. She kisses him on the cheek before rising back up to finish the song.

_____________________________________________________________________________

“That’s how it is when ya’ working for the Ward. One day ya’ picking up trash and sweeping. The next day ya’ at a computer. Ya sit there all day, watching camera, pressing the same two buttons, just; click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click. Ya young, so it don’t get to ya the same, for me, I’m 66 years old. I been on the Bazaar 40 years of my life. That clicking, just click click click. It’ll get to ya. But it better than getting kicked out ya know? That's why it better to get a job youngster. You gotta make those monthly passage payments or you’ll be working the Ward. That’s the scam though youngster. They get you working the Ward young and ya get use to it. Ya start thinking ‘I don’t need a job, I’ll take the penalty, do my time for the Ward, once I’m off for the month, I’ll enjoy the extra cash they give me and go back next month.’ They give us the extra cash to live off, but ya need a job. Ya work that job, pay next month payment and ya out the loop. No more click, click, click ya know? It gets to ya, just click click click click…”

“OH MY FUCKING GOD, SHUT UP!  Someone shoot me please!” Jessica jumps up from the bench screaming.

The guards nearby made their way over to the distressed Jessica. “They'll be no shooting on the Bazaar. Keep up the shouting and you’ll be working in the Ward.” the guard stated.

Jessica ignores the possible consequences, yelling back, “Screw it, I’d rather work the Ward again than listen to this nut!”

Berry exits the Loose Lips bar. He was greeted to Jessica, who was currently in a yelling match with 3 guards. “Come on man...” He made his way over, deciding to rescue her from the situation, understanding that favors are a form of currency.

“Listen brat, watch your tone when you’re on the Bazaar or the court will handle things…”

“Yea, yea, the court will handle it, we got it. Sorry about that officers, my sister just got back from the Ward. She’s just a little stressed out.” Berry wrapped his arm around Jessica, trying to seem friendly. Jessica essentially growls at him in response.

“You see, she sent me a text saying some creep was following her and she just didn’t have the patience today," Berry explains, lying through his teeth.

The guards look at the nice old man sitting calmly on the bench. He happily smiles, his old ears not able to pick up the conversation.

“Hey, no stalking on the Bazaar or the cour…”

“Whatcha say sonny?” The old man leans in to better hear the guard.

Berry made his escape with Jessica while the guards were distracted.

“I was waiting out there for like an hour and that old guy wouldn’t stop talking.”

“An hour, huh? That long?”Berry said, combing his way through the sea of people.

“What do you do in there anyway?” Jessica wondered.

“Drink," Berry murmures.

“You don’t smell like alcohol.”

“Talk to some old buddies of mine,” Berry said, murmuring again.

“I think you have lipstick on your cheek.” She leaned in trying to touch the red residue that stained his face.

“Why are you so nosey? You know what they say on Aries 3, ‘GFB’.”

“GFB?”

“Grown folk business.”

“I’ve never been to Aries, but I’m sure they don’t say that. I’m 21 anyways, I’m grown enough.”

“If you’re that grown, why didn’t you just come inside and get me.”

“I’m not stepping into some sort of slut saloon,” Jessica snaps back.

“You’re right… It’s probably Leo 5 where they say it.”

Berry sat at a table next to the gigantic metallic fountain. Jessica, to his dismay, joins him after catching back up, getting caught up in the crowd. They were surrounded by people, all in too much of a hurry to ever notice them. Those people were the resident of the Black Bazaar. Their destination was unknown to everyone but themselves and to guess where would be impossible. The Bazaar houses hundreds of thousands of stores and businesses that ranged from the simple food vendor to cybernetic doctors. Even under the harsh watch of the Court, there is also a thriving black market. The Black Bazaar is a place where you could find anything, for the right price.

“Let's make this quick, Jessica,” Berry states, knowing where this was going.

“I told you, call me Jess.”

“So far, in the one month I’ve known you for, you’ve lost me $50,000 and made me risk my residency for you.”

Jess could care less. She has been asking for the same thing this whole time and could not lose focus. “Let me have her.”

“No, Jess. You owe me big time.”

“Just one task, that’s all. I have it all planned out. It’s easy, It’s just the fact that I don’t have a gun. With Rena…”

“She doesn’t work how you think, Jess."

“How so? I’ve used a gun she unlocked once before. It can work.”

“I meant her, not her ability,” Berry said.

Above them, a drone had come into view. It held a clear cup filled with a brown liquid. It slowly hoversvdown to their table, dropping off the cup before flying back up to the other delivery drones. Berry grabbed it, removing it lid and started to down the drink. Jess watched on in envy, not in the position to afford anything.

“Why are you staring like you've never seen coffee before?”

"Better question, since when has coffee come in clear cups and why are chugging hot coffee?" Jess asks, still envious of him.

Questions start to stir in Jess's head. She stares heavily into Berry's eyes, looking for something. Berry rolled his eyes in annoyance. That's when Jess spots it.

She asks him, "one of your eyes is bionic, isn’t it?” Berry remained silent, not wanting to explain his situation. "Yep, that's how you ordered the coffee without a phone." Jess shook her head, proud to have figured it out. Jess curiosity was sparked, following up her deductions with, "Which eye is it? How did you get it? Does your other eye work? Are you veteran?"

Berry was fed up with Jess’s prying. “You know what they say on the Black Bazaar right? Don’t ask about where people been or where they’re going, okay? So leave me be until you learn some respect," Berry commands.

“Come on Berry, ease up. I don’t really care about the eye, but you gotta let your little Rena out the cage someday. I’ve seen what she can do. Let me use that. Let prove how badass I am. I can’t get my life under control here if I have to work in the Ward for half the month.”

Berry looked her up and down. [She’s really a beut’. You’d never guess she’s an Aquarian, muzzle scraping, street rat. I guess that’s true for everyone here. You really don’t know anyone story until they tell you, but getting them to tell you is a story in itself.]

“Have you thought of selling your own goods?” Berry suggests.

“My goods?” Jess covered her chest, feeling insulted and threatened by the suggestion.

“Not that, your own goods, like your hover or all that leather you usually strut around in. I don’t know, offer to fix someone’s bike or hover. You got skills, use them.”

“Yea, but I also got skills when armed. I just need to be armed."

Berry laughs at the corny response. “Okay, I’ve had enough. I got to prepare for when we land in Pisces 2.”

Jess tries to get him to stop, but the mass of people start to split them apart.

“ONLY OLD PEOPLE CALL PLANETS BY THEIR NAME AND NUMBERS,” Jess screamed, hoping to get the last word.

“I’M 30,” a voice yells back from the crowd.

Berry went to his room on the ship. It was small, metal, and cold. It was on the cheap side of housing on the ship. His unit was around $1000 before utilities and built for merchants who didn’t plan on spending much time outside their workplace. Berry’s bed was a fourth of the available space. A desk took up another half, leaving the spare room as entry for the bathroom.

There was a small monument built out of unhealthy meals in and around the trash can. That wasn’t the only mess, boxes are stacked near the bathroom door. Berry could hear the shower running. He reached for a box at the very top, grabbing it and checking the contents.

Closing the box, Berry shouted to Rena, “I’m leaving for Pisces 2. Don’t do anything stupid.”

The water shut off and Rena replied sadly, “What about history night?”

“You’ve been learning a lot recently so we’ll take a break. I'll buy you a few books to make up for it.” Rena didn’t respond. Berry take the opportunity to make his leave, heading towards the rear of the Bazaar.


The Black Bazaar broke through the dark clouds of Pisces. The planet is in a consistent hurricane, so the rain pelted the Black Bazaar as the strong winds tried to rip control away from the ship. The massive ship shrugs off wind, too large to be impacted. It continues to fly over the seemingly endless ocean. The ship was soon greeted to the site of a brightly lit glass structure. It was a series of glass domes that housed acres of farmland, all connected through glass tunnels. The whole contraption stood on multiple poles that dived deep into the water. The Bazaar passed over the first one; its was the same size as the Bazaar. The ship continued its course until they reach an even larger structure. This was their destination.

The massive dome opens one layer to give the ship an escape from the storm outside. Both the customers and the merchants grew restless after each step of the landing procedure. Finally landing, the ship opens up along its port, letting out several ramps where the merchants check out of the ships. At the rear was another ramp for resident re-entry only. This is where Berry left from, not caring for the rules.

Berry journey only just began. He flung the box on his shoulder and made his way through the market that was being set up. Buyers and traders both gathered in the huge field, starting to make deals before their stands were even up. Berry watches as Pisceans went to the other side of the ship to board, wanting to get their shopping done inside rather than waiting for the outside to be complete. Two suspicious men followed Berry to the junction between the two domes, staying very far back as to not tip him off.

“I need to get to Cloud 9, sir.” Berry was very soft spoken amongst the chaos. The clump of people screamed at the few workers, trying to get their attention before everyone else. They turned their wheels as quickly as they could, letting the passengers jump into the tube before closing them back up. Berry patients paid off when one of the female workers picked him out from the crowd.

“CLOUD 9 WAS IT?”

“No need, It seems I’m already there.” Berry winks, making her smile.

“OK STUD, I’M GOING TO HAVE TO SEARCH YOU…” Berry was taken aback for a second. He didn’t suspect to be checked here.

“FULL BODY SEARCH IF YOU DON’T MIND.” He smiled back at the grinning woman, now understanding it was a joke. He came over to the tube and pulls out his wallet. He gave her a generous tip and waves off her request not to tip that much.

She twisted the wheel, changing the direction of the tube underneath him until it locks in place. She warns him that they will actually be searching him on the other side before sending him off. Berry falls into the tube, holding on tight to the box he brought with him.

Now, safely in the tube system, he was surrounded by the dark blue ocean water. The rough ocean looked peaceful from this point of view. He watched other travelers as they also were being shot through the other pipes.

It took a few minutes to reach Cloud 9. Box in hand and plot in mind, Berry collected himself. He needed to be ready to sell lies and ready he was. 

Amidst the unprepared guards who were struggling to keep the new guests in line, Berry found who he was looking for. The man walks up to Berry and went in for a hug.

“Berry, ya’ fine bastard! You actually came and I actually found ya! The chances!”

“Gary take this box and let's go.” Berry shoves the box into Gary's arms.

“From vet to a criminal like me? Lets hit the pub then!” The two make their way past security, almost getting through.

The guard grabs Berry by his shoulder and said, “Hold it. We need to check that box and give you a search.”

“Hey man, I was just searched. Don’t you guys have enough ass to grab without searching everyone twice.”

The guard didn’t care about Berry’s woes. “Well, it’s your lucky day. Stand still for me.” Berry was patted down. They found nothing on him noteworthy enough to stop him for. His gun had an NUA scanner and his Black Bazaar ID was valid.

“Okay, what's in the box?"

Before Berry could cough up a lie, Gary chimes in, “It's my box there buddy and I’m a citizen. I just came to pick up my ol’ drinking pal so we can get the glasses clanking.”

“So why bring a box... Here let me just check.”

The guard was persistent, but so was Gary. “OH COME ON BUD! It’s an inside joke. You see you hold it like this and tell em’ ‘Reach inside bugger, I got a present inside for ya'." Gary held the long box near his crotch, waving it around and loudly snorting.

“Ha… Okay just don’t get too drunk and cause any trouble. The cameras are always watching.”

“I’ll make sure a few are in your name bud. What was it again?” Gary asks.

“It’s Stan but…” Before he could finish the two was already making their way out the traveling dome and into the city.

“So whatcha got here, it’s heavy as shit." Gary asks.

“It’s a gift. I’ll show you when we get to your jewelry shop.”

“So ya’ skipping the pub, huh?”  

Berry turns to Gary in the middle of the sidewalk, halting their march. He scans the area, taking in the utopia-like city. The buildings were all white and shined brightly, even without the sun showing. The roads were filled with Old-Era cars that drove in unison. They were self-driving and on wheels. They drove smoother than any hovercraft road, showing that a street without human error can be more efficient than flying vehicles.

“What’s going on Gary? When did you become like Old-Era British,” Berry asks, referring to his accent.

“It’s Scottish actually. With all the drinking I do, I might as well be Scottish," Gary snorts.

“Sorry, but Old-Era jokes go right over my head.”

“It’s really because it makes customers see me as more charming. Adds some flavor to this bland city and the lady aren’t as not fond of it as you’d think.”

“It’s always for the ladies or customers.”

“Ya goddamn right it is…” The pair continues to down the street, making their way to Gary's shop. The hooded men follows them, standing out like sore thumbs in this bright white city.

Gary came back from behind the counter and sat up front with Berry. Gary has short ginger hair and an unkempt beard. Although Berry was fit, Gary weight and height made Berry look small when compared. Gary pours them a glass of something only an alcoholic would drink. Berry pushes the drink back towards Gary, who didn’t mind drinking them both.

“So what are you doing coming to Cloud 9?” Gary asks.

“What’s wrong with visiting a friend?”

“Cloud 9 is dangerous for criminals, that’s all.”

“You're the fence and you seem to be doing fine. Cloud 9 is the last place I expected you to be," Berry said, peeking at the black ball that plastered the nice white wall.

“I know my way around the cameras. You see it, it’s about to blink," Gary said, pointing at the camera.

Berry watches the camera and like Gary said, it blinks.

“That’s a sweep. The cameras are always watching, but someone isn’t always watching the cameras. Every sweep they save a picture that someone combs through later. I know because I was that someone for a while. So as long as you don’t caught in a sweep, you can do as you please. The public doesn't know that though.”

“Nice to know, I’m more of a highland guy myself," Berry said.

“I'm not too sure of that. I think you like the danger of being a criminal on the inside. No, I know you do.” Gary had lost the Scottish ascent by now, talking normally.

“Nothing wrong with a little danger,” Berry explans.

“Sure ain’t." Gary drank an obscene amount of liquor from his cup. "I see you’re all patched up. Looking good?”

“Yea, and looking good. The NUA paid for the surgery. Perks of being a vet I guess.”

“From vet to criminal. I remember you use to give me shit for selling drugs and moving guns. Now you’re scamming for a living.”

“I do honest work from time to time.” Berry said, stretching the limits for what counts as time to time. Berry had been scamming for the better part of a year now and was barely making it. Berry knew what Gary said was true and it stung.

“Honest work my ass. Your name still rings in my ears every now and then." Gary finishes off his cup and fills it back up. "Hey, didn’t you make that song about me? Said it was supposed to be my wake up call? Guess you fell asleep after that," Gary jokes, drinking even more of the liquor.

“Yep.”

“How’d it go?  ♪ My life flashed before my eyes♪.”

Berry joins in and the two sing in unison,

“♪ It dashed on didn’t say goodbye.

I lived a meaningless life of greed, sex, sin and spite

But if I’m coming back I’m plan to do it right. ♪”

Gary continues to sing the song but in the wrong order, so Berry drops out. He sits and thought about how the song applied more to him now.


Berry stalls for a second, not wanting to bring her up, but it was where the conversation was leading. He found the courage and interrupts Gary, asking, “You’ve seen Victoria at all?”

“Yea, actually, she’s started singing again. Heard she travels between Aquarius and Capricorn.”

“So she’s doing alright?” Berry wondered.

Gary shakes his head. He drinks as much of his drink as he could in one go. "Not at all. She’s fucking nuts. She still looking for that prick. Believes ever lie he ever told her.”

“So I should probably just stay away?” Berry reaches for the second cup, deciding to drink some with Gary. Gary filled his back up.

“It’s probably for the best. It just her way of coping with the band's break up. She knows the truth, we all know the truth, but sometimes it just hard to admit it.”

“Yea.”  The two sit there silently drinking for a while. Berry wants to be a bit tipsy for the next part. He hates sappy moments.

“Hey, guess what’s in the box.”

“Knowing you… I’d say a stash of guns," Gary said, playing along.

“You know me well.” Berry empties the guns onto the floor. It was about 12 in total.

“What the fuck Berry, the cameras!" Gary scrambles to stuff the guns back in the box. "You’re into some shit aren’t you.”

“Knees deep actually. But this doesn’t involve that.” Berry pulls out his pistol along with two suppressors. “I actually need your help. I was being followed. They want these guns and they’ll probably be here soon.”

“Why would they want NUA guns. They can’t do anything without proper registrations.”

“Actually they aren’t NUA.”

Shocked, Gary drops the box, letting the guns fall out once more. Gary looked at the guns in a completely different light. “No shit? Where the hell you find Non-NUA guns?”

“Some factory in the highlands. What ammo type does this pistol use.” Berry starts twisting a suppressor onto one of the unsanctioned pistols.

“If that’s a model of the Mark 23, it would use .45 rounds, ACP.”

“Go fetch some, quick. I’m going to need your help here.”

Gary returns from the back with the rounds. Berry had cleaned the mess from off the ground. Berry made his way over to the front counter and hands the unregistered pistol to Gary, who loaded it as quickly as possible.

“Why the hell even leave the Bazaar if you got goons after you, Berry?"

“I had to get these to you somehow.”

“To me? Why? I can’t buy these off you, these things are worth more money than I’ve probably ever seen in my life," Gary said.

“Yea, so sell one so you live that vision. They're a gift.”


Gary is overwhelmed by shock but didn’t have to time to celebrate.

The two hooded men walked through the door, trying to hide their weapons. Gary's eyes started to water.

“Man, don’t get all emotional now, come on.” Berry was busy trying not to get emotional as well.

“Hey, you,” The hooded man said.

“It’s just. This is literally life-changing. Thank you, so much," Gary said, wiping his eyes clean.

“Don’t do that. You deserve it for all the shit you went through for us; picking sides and looking for that bastard, Marko.”

“You listening?” The suspiciously dressed man barked.

“Now man up. We got shit to do. You alright?” Berry winked as he said it.

“Yea, I’m alright, but your eye… Are you alright?” Gary asked.

“What? No, you’re alright,” Berry said.

“Me? OH, alright. I get it, I’m alright… right?” Gary asked, finally getting it.

“Yea…”

“Turn around and listen punk!” Berry spins around, and with a quickness that not even Gary was prepared for, Berry draws and shoots the thug to the left several times to the chest.

The other thug panicked, “Shit!” He was only prepared for a robbery, not expecting Berry gun to be unlocked. The thug pulls out his shotgun and pulls the trigger, but nothing happens. The thugs gun was locked. He struggles to put his fingerprint on the scanner of the gun, so before he could, Gary finishes the job.

“Woah there cowboy, that was quick. You could have warned me. I was just coming around to understanding.”

“Yea, guess I don’t know my own speed.” Berry looks down at his metal hand in a way that puzzles Gary. “Okay Gary, get out of here I’ll g-”

“No Berry, you go. I got this.”

“I don’t wan-”

“What are you going to do? Carry them out the back into a camera? I’ll just grab my shit and go to Aqua or something. Do a little hiding while they’re still looking for me. Maybe outside. Hide in the highlands.”

“Sorry, Gary… I didn’t mean to cause you this much trouble.”

“Man up already. Better get to running before the footage sweep rolls through, I know I am.”

The two split up from there. Berry made it back to the Bazaar. He sulks on his way to his room, knowing there’s no way Gary would get out, at least not with those guns.  [Maybe he’ll actually make it to some highland out there,] Berry hopes.

"Rena, I forgot to buy you a book." Berry slumps on his bed, getting the jitters. His cybernetic arm aching in pain, but he was resisting for now. He looks over at the desk, where Rena trash was still piled up.


[She didn’t take out her trash. What the hell did she do all day?]

Berry found a note among the junk on the desk. When he read it, the pain slipped away and anxiety swept over him. “God damn it. I warned her… Why didn’t she listen. It’s… How dumb can you be.” Berry tosses the note back onto the garbage. No matter how hard he tries, he can't stop worrying. He paces around the room, trying to convince himself that it wasn’t his fault. 

The note read, “Went To Make History With Blue Hair =P Rena."

0