Chapter 5 – Make way!
930 6 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Picture for the last chapter (Only the Minotaur).

I don't think I can draw and write at the same time so I will not color or complete it.

This is enough, I think.


Finn De Dovantine, the third son of Duke Kaiser Dovantine, was on his way to the territory of Count Mathias Heuser. This was his father's order. He was a pretty boy who hadn't had his growth spurt yet. Having the royal bloodline, his hair was golden and his sharp eyes shone with a beautiful blue hue. He, like his cousin the crown prince, was very regal in his bearing.

Ladies of the royal court had always swarmed him whenever he attended a party. This made him see females as nothing more than nuisances and greedy creatures. Even his fiancee was treated the same because she was a noblewoman of a lower rank, despite being a beauty.

Being raised in the high life since birth, he hadn't known of any woman with an ugly face. Or how the commoners lived their life for that matter. So he didn't appreciate beauty or hard work. To him, the world was bland and boring, not hardship and worry. He wanted interesting things to fall his way, things that let him escape the boring world he believed he was in.

But visiting his fiancee wasn't on his wants list. He didn't like things that were already his. Such was the mind of a young master in his puberty.

His fiancee, Elena De Heuser, was ambushed and nearly killed on his birthday. As a fiance and a high noble of the Agava kingdom, he had to fulfill this duty, or else the people would say the ducal household was arrogant and heartless.

The engagement was pure politics. He didn't know the details since the Duke kept it from him. But politics was politics, he disliked it and everything attached to it. That made him hate Elena even more for 'forcing him to wed her'. He wanted someone who understood his pain to love him, to pay attention to him.

Finn was alone in his carriage. The Count and Countess Heuser were in another one in front of him. Knights and soldiers escorting them went up to one hundred. Too much just for traveling around but they were three high nobles. It totally made sense to march around in an army.

They had entered the county. The road was wider and trade caravans appeared more frequently.

He looked out the window to stave off his boredom. The scenery was acceptable as the land along the road was mostly wilderness. The occasional camping sites made him want to go on an adventure, like in the books.

At the edge of the forest, far away from the road, groups of goblins were hunting rabbits with their primitive sticks. Seeing those monsters was not that uncommon, they were abundant in the forest and weaker than a wolf. Farmers had no problem killing these monsters themselves. He also wanted to have a chance to kill them. He wanted to prove his strength to others.

But that would be impossible at the moment. When he attended the Royal Academy next year, he would have a chance. There were many combat classes in the Academy’s hunting ground throughout the three years.

“Your Highness, we are about to arrive.”

The call of a knight riding next to his carriage pulled him back from his daydreaming. Looking a bit ahead, he saw the wall surrounding Silver Pass, the city of his destination.

The territory of Count Heuser was at the Eastern border. It was the gateway to trade with the Kane empire. That was also the reason why a Count could have so many knights under him.

A high noble like Count Heuser normally wouldn’t have his territory at the border. But due to circumstances, Baron Weiss Maraut had passed away without any heir. The kingdom couldn’t let the border with the empire uncheck so this land was transferred to Count Heuser by the previous King’s decree.

The city was big and its walls high. Higher than the Duke’s estate. As a trading hub, it was understandable. This city was just a step behind the capital in terms of grandeur.

They passed the gate and surprised was the least he could describe what he felt.

It was near evening but the streets were still very full. This was the time most of the citizens stayed at home or workplaces but here they were, gathering in groups all over the place. In his home city, people didn’t gather like this, they weren’t trading or anything so he was confused.

Is there a festival or something?

It made him want to disguise and go playing around here. After all, he would have to stay here for at least three days to show that he cared for his fiancee. But unfortunately, he didn’t really dare to do that.

Their carriages finally arrived at the estate. The Count’s mansion wasn’t big. It was as small as his Summer Mansion at the seaside. He let out a sigh of relief when his feet stepped on solid ground. His body was tired and arched from the long ride. Finn was looking forward to lay down for the day.

“Your Highness, you must be tired. I will have the servants lead you to your room right away.”

“Thank you for your hospitality, Lord Heuser. But I should greet Lady Elena De Heuser first. Then we will discuss our matter after that.”

“Hmm, then it will be as your highness wishes. Our matter was not urgent, we could talk more details tomorrow. Instead, I hope you will join us for dinner today.”

“Of course, Lord Heuser.”

Count Mathias Heuser didn’t seem to be particularly expressive. But his wife, Lady Filianore was showing her dissatisfaction with Finn subtly. Her eyes looked at him judgingly sometimes. But the young master wasn’t perceptive enough.

He left his luggage for the servants to handle and went to the garden where Elena was at. He was led there by a maid. He wasn’t looking forward to it at all.


Emily was awestruck by Elena. Her new master was so powerful that she had a change of heart. Maybe.

As expected of a Demon King. I guess I don’t really need a prince charming to have a good life. Being a subordinate of a Demon King isn’t that bad actually.

In the end, what moved her was wealth and power, not love. Her being the Heroine was a mistake by gods, she assumed.

Outside of wooing rich and handsome men, what does the Heroine use her Holy Magic for?

Currently, Emily was glad that her childhood friend Mari was alright. It was a horrifying sight for her to see her friend on the verge of death. She didn’t know that Mari had been working here recently. Because she didn’t see any improvement at Mari’s house so it was natural to think that Mari had normal jobs like she had been doing. After all, the wage of maids was five times the wage of her latest job. She could provide for her family of three by herself and there would still be money left for saving!

After returning from the barrack, Emily made her way to the kitchen immediately. She had to prepare lunch for Elena. Because of the late morning meal, she only needed to make some light snacks and a pot of tea.

She found her job satisfactory. She could make a cake and no one would say anything about the wasteful use of sugar. Her cake was tasty, if she had to give a score it would be shop-worthy, nine out of ten recommended. The system even gave it a rating of 'Uncommon', second last to 'Common'. It didn't have any prefix though.

She had worked at a restaurant before when she had been smaller but the cook didn't like her cake. It was exotic and delicious. The cakes that appeared in this world were bland and unappetizing. They were nothing compared to her modern-style bakery. But commoners couldn't afford it so she too lost her job and had to pay back the sugar she had used. She learned an important lesson that day, sugar was expensive, very very expensive.

Emily liked sweets and this time her job let her have the opportunity to eat some. She also made some more extras to give the other servants. It was important to be on the good side of people. She didn't want her time here to be dealing with bullying.

Making them keep a secret that they ate sweets together was easy. She promised to do it again when the Lady had another tea time too. So now she had a small little group in the mansion that would support her.

The maids also started to talk with her more. They expressed concern for her, which made her confused.

"Emi, are you fine staying near the Lady?”

They also started to call her nicknames. It showed their intention of befriending her so she didn’t mind.

“I feel fine but why do you ask? Is there something?”

“W-Well, if you are alright then it won’t be a problem.”

She eyed them in suspicion. They didn’t want to talk about it and ran away before she could say anything. She couldn’t go after them because the cookies and cake needed her attention.

What was that? Are they feeling the power of the Demon King or something? I don’t know magic but that can’t be true. The mage at the barrack didn’t react negatively, in fact, he was even a little excited in his shy tone.

She decided to find out about it later. The sweets were done and tea smelled good, she should bring this to the garden now.

No servant disturbed her when she was going to Elena which was nice. The mansion in the afternoon was silent and cool, there were many trees around the walls and the shade they gave was comfortable. She imagined her whole family could live in a portion of this corridor and she wouldn’t even complain. The walkway was nice and clean and it was big too.

Her poor mind kept comparing her living condition with everything she saw here.

“That smells good. What did you make?”

Elena was sitting at the gazebo in the middle of the garden. Her reaction to her sweets was very positive. This was an important moment for Emily. She had a little trauma about being fired over sugar.

“These are cookies and a cake. I make them only with things we have.”

“Hmm… it tastes great. Excellent work.”

Her smile was beaming as someone had finally praised her for her skill. Her family didn’t have the chance to eat sweets and her cooking was only subpar. When living on Earth, she had been selling custom-made cakes online and doing a part-time job at a spar. So her experience with snacks and leisure was quite high. She may say that working for a noblewoman was a perfect role for her. But this was not a job anyone could do if they wanted, or else she would have been a maid in this mansion a long time ago. The hiring by the butler had been very strict.

“Grabbing you was a great decision. Your massage skill is exceptional too.”

Elena picked up the cup of tea and sipped lightly in satisfaction. Emily was sweating a bit at that.

Oh, right... massage. I taught Mari sensual massage as a frank but forgot about it afterward. This is awkward. There is no way I am telling her what kind of massage that is!

“I am in a good mood. Do you have anything you want? I will give it as a reward.”

Having set a new resolution so soon after coming here was bad for her heart. But this was a chance that just appeared in front of her. She had been lusting after magic since her reincarnation here.

Magic was hard. She didn't know how to do it at all. It was a completely foreign concept and she couldn't imagine or feel it by herself.

Most commoners were like that. She needed money to be taught. A luxury she couldn't afford.

"I… I want to learn magic."

Her voice was small but Elena heard it. She put down the cup and took a long look at Emily's body.

"You have… potential at least. I must say about as much as the sage that followed the Hero around… how come..."

The latter half of her sentences was a murmur. Emily was too nervous to listen to it anyway. Her first day at work and she had already jumped a few bridges. Really bold of her when her mental defense went down.

"Accepted, I will train you in magic."

"Huh? Ah, thank you very much!"

Emily wasn't expecting that. She thought it would progress like in the game and she would be sent to the academy.

This is fine too, isn't it? I bet no one is better than a Demon King in magic.

She was excited and nearly faint as she bumped her head while jumping around.

"First let me see your mana control."

"Eh?"

"Hmm?"

"I can't do that yet."

"…" 

Elena was stunned. She had taught a few Demons some new spells she had invented before. But teaching someone from scratch was a first. She actually didn't know how to teach mana control as it came to her naturally. She had already accepted the request so she couldn't back down on her word. Doing that with enemies was fine but doing it with subordinates would make them disloyal.

"Well… you take the mana… and control it… like..."

Emily was expectantly looking at Elena as she tried to explain it. She didn't understand a thing but was excited nonetheless.

Meanwhile, Elena was sweating inside. She had no idea what she was talking about either.

What do I say!? It goes whoosh whoosh and then paa paa!?

"Actually, why don't you get familiar with mana first? That's right! Let's do that!"

She found a way to escape safely. She recalled the sage in the Hero party also doing that in his free time so she just threw that idea out.

Emily took that in like words of a prophet. Her trust in the Demon King's ability was extraordinary. Elena once again showed her power in crafting things out of mana. She produced an orb then crushed it. She produced a gem then crushed it again. It looked like she hadn't made up her mind on what to do yet.

Finally, she made a necklace with a dull blue metallic color. It looked like tempered carbon steel to Emily but she found it cooler than simple fancy gold and such.

"Wear this. It will absorb and release mana through your body at intervals. Try to feel and play around with it."

"Yes! Thank you very much!"

Emily received it with a beaming smile. Her fear of Elena was temporarily forgotten.

 

Status:

Name: Steel Necklace of Perseverance

Item Rating: Powerful Epic

Description: A steel necklace enchanted by Demon King Elena.
Simulating the flow of life force in the wearer's body.
Prevent death in critical condition.

 

She put it on her neck immediately and felt pumped up.

Epic loot acquired! It even has a prefix in its rating!

The item rating of the game was like many other games she had played so it was easy to remember the system. Epic items were very advanced but in the otome game, these items were only used as a theme for side quests. Like preventing a phantom thief from taking a sword in the vault or helping the prince find the lost royal relic. The player could see it and read its information but couldn't touch it at all.

The item went from Common, Uncommon, Rare, Epic, and Legendary. Legendary was literally an item of legends. There was one in the cathedral in the capital. A Holy Sword the hero had used to save the world. It was put on an altar and had a powerful barrier protecting it. There was also that Primordial thing from Elena but she wouldn't touch that.

Emily played with the necklace and tried out imagined scenarios in her head. Attempting to feel the mana hadn't yielded any results yet but she wouldn't give up.

She was allowed to do as she pleased in the garden so she went to the clearing in front of the gazebo and started doing meditation, manga-style. After all, that was the entirety of her knowledge about this stuff.

Elena looked at her curiously. She was having tea and sweets to pass the afternoon leisurely but still had to think up some more exercises for her new follower.

They spent their time till evening when a maid intruded in and announced the arrival of someone.

"Milady Elena De Heuser, I have heard of your peril and have come immediately."

It was Elena's fiance, someone who wasn't on her mind at all, to be honest.

"I can't have a peaceful day, eh?"

She murmured under her breath and stood up to give a greeting.

"Greeting, your Highness. It is an honor to have you here."

Emily stood up from the ground in panic. She had been too comfortable with Elena in the past hours but they were still master and servant. And now another noble appeared, she needed to act the part or else she would lose her job!

She moved quickly behind Elena and kept a bowing posture. This was the first time she met this boy who looked like a very important person.

Elena saw her behavior and frowned, at the boy.

“Your highness must be tired from the journey, I will not take your time further. I am still quite shaken by the incident too so…”

He looked at Elena uninterestedly. That eyes, Emily knew that kind of eyes. She had worked for a lot of merchants in the city, they sometimes looked at her and the other workers from the slum like that. She didn’t like that kind of eyes. And it seemed Elena agreed with her as well.

She looked at the boy again to remember him.

 

Status:

Name: Finn De Dovantine
Race: Human
Age: 14
Level: 15

 

Skill:

[Wind Magic] lv.10

[Mana Control] lv.3

[Sword skill] lv.2

 

Emily was not impressed. Outside of his status as a noble, he would lose a fight with her mother. Her mother’s muscle from the [Housework] skill alone would slap him to the other room face first.

So that is the fiance of Elena. He is just an unlikeable boy. But nobles are supposed to be like this. It felt different when it was a game though.

Her fantasy about prince charming was damaged a bit by this Finn. He was younger than the game but it was only one year or two at most. She didn’t go Elena route but Finn was still around in the academy. His dreamy cool boy demeanor was like that of the crown prince with the difference in problems they needed to solve.

The crown prince had his duty burdened him and factions fight each other with him in the middle tired him to no end. His fiancee was clingy and inconsiderate of his feeling so the route was generic and easy to get into.

But this Finn she didn’t know anything about except he was a son of the Duke.

Now looking at him up close, he sure was a pretty boy. Being pretty could get away with a lot of things on Earth. Emily didn’t know how other girls her age were but she didn’t want a handsome boyfriend. What she wanted was a solid future with marriage till old age. As a girl, she was sensitive to a boy’s attitude. She had her fair share of relationships to tell when a man didn’t really care for his girlfriend. Plus his eyes really irritated her. Nobleman was not the best lover.

Enlightenment came to her as she understood the world a bit more. She then realized that if the man could abandon his fiancee why wouldn’t he abandon her too when another woman better than her appeared?

Sticking to the Demon King is clearly better.

She listened to the talking of Elena and her fiance, Finn but nothing was interesting at all. She saw his dismissing eyes whenever Elena talked to him so she tried to pity the boy.

Their interaction was lifeless. Elena was fulfilling her duty to complete the ceremony conversation but Finn was so childless that he kept his thoughts on his face all the time. Even the maid that led him here was cringing in the back.

But it ended eventually. Finn went to his room with the maid leading him. She was alone with Elena again. The sky had turned orange and black clouds had gathered a lot over the horizon. It looked like rain would fall soon.

“Hmph!”

“Are you alright milady?”

Her attempt to use polite language was passable and not that important when Elena was backing her job.

“I don’t like that bald brat.”

“Huh? Bald?”

Emily looked after his ‘Highness’ in the walkway in the distance but didn’t see any bald spot.

“I put a curse on him. That look on his face really ticks me off.”

“Ah…”

He should thank his ancestors for not dying when poking the Demon King. But bald huh, I really want to see it on his mugshot.

“Mari should be waking up by now.”

Elena sat down at the gazebo again and put his matter away. Emily wanted to ask more about the curse out of curiosity but decided it wasn’t worth it.

“Milady, don’t you need to go see your parents?”

“They can wait. I have things to talk to them anyway so I will meet them then.”

“…”

“Waiting for Mari to come is better.”

Elena picked up her cup and drank again but Emily was sure the teapot was empty a long time ago.

Magic sure is great! I must get the [Mana Control] skill quickly. Even that Finn guy has it, I can’t lose to him.

It was as if waiting for Elena’s words, the mage from the barrack had come leading his charge here. Mari was confusingly following behind him but she perked up when Elena was in her sight.

Emily guessed the girl’s head must be a mess right at the moment. She was dressed in a standard army robe for mages. A plain long grey robe with a hood.

Mari had become really pretty and cute. Her eyes were more prominent. Her body was slim and curved in all the right places.

I am smaller than her… and she is leaving me behind in so many things now.

 

Status:

Name: Mari
Race: Outer - Golden Eyes Fiend
Age: 0
Level: 350

 

Skill:

[Outer Species Constitution] lv.--

[Dark Vision] lv.50

[Combat Sense] lv.50

[Resilience] lv.100

[Toughness] lv.100

[Sentinel] lv.50

She had already seen Mari’s status but seeing it again still left her speechless. She was the ultimate tank in game terms.

Even though her body looks like that…

Compare to the human in this game, it was just not fit at all. But she too also had a skill in the hundred. Although it didn’t add to her level due to the blessing. She wanted to get stronger too but she was afraid of abandoning her race and body. And it looked like she would lose her blessing too if she did that. The only way left was training to get [Mana Control], she already had her Holy Magic at maximum after all.

Meanwhile, the mage bowed and left with a sad face. The fabricated story he believed was true had made him moody. Emily narrowed her eyes at him. He shouldn’t have any feeling because it was just a story he heard. He had to be the equivalent of her ‘people’ on Earth, no mistaking it.

“Come here.”

Mari walked to them with her head down.

“From today onward, you will serve me as my maid, understand? If anyone gives you a problem, tell me. Now Emily, lead her to the butler and get her the uniform.”

“Yes, milady. But what about her name?”

“It’s Mari.”

“I mean-”

“Just say I picked her up because of the name.”

“Well, yes, I suppose that work.”

Mari was silent and Emily could see hope in her eyes.

Having a new life in the pit of despair, huh. Good for her.

She took Mari’s hand and led her away, completely forgot about the tea tray and disks on the table.

“That girl is so bad at maid’s work. She would have a lot of problems with the butler for sure.”

Elena also stood up and left, she had things to discuss with her parents. With her power back and she had gained two new maids, she would like to build a castle and made a small territory in the county. It was just her urge to have a castle for herself.

And after she had pushed the assassins off her back, she wanted to deal with the Duke. His son had made quite an impression. She would make them abandon this engagement, but with her terms.

Want to take my hands? At least be on the Hero’s level first before talking. I will take over your land as compensation.


End of chapter 5

 

38