Advent – Chapter 31: Foretold
10k 13 354
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A chapter seeks shelter from the cold outside. Happy Holidays.

It is 'Advent - Chapter 31' and not 'Advent - Chapter 1' as the second arc is still part of the first 'Book'.

Ira slowly stepped through the open doorway and into the [Grandmaster's] office. The woman distractedly gestured for him to take a seat, still staring at the door in the back of her office. So she is meeting Roots? Ira thought to himself. That's good. I hope. The Goddess he had encountered fit the description of a prophecy the [Grandmaster] had given him to a tee. Even the name was the same.

"She is not what I expected," O'lymni said, turning to face the now-seated Ira. "Roots had always presented her as beyond anything one could imagine. Unfathomable. She seemed pretty normal to me, friendly even. For a Goddess, that is."

"But is she the one you sought? The one from the prophecy?" Ira asked.

"Undoubtedly, everything fits. She just does not behave like I thought someone of that stature would. But then, the prophecy never said she would act in a certain way."

Ira shifted in his seat. Just over a week ago, he had been happy that the prophecy he had been worrying about was not going to come to pass, and now the [Grandmaster] was telling him that the opposite was true. The idea was not one that he enjoyed. He had started to doubt his initial assumption when what he at the time assumed to be an Elf decided to, rather violently, bless a member of the adventurer party. That she was attacked by a follower of Natio and one of Vigil only furthered his doubt.

The end of the world he knew was definitely not what he had hoped for.

"Lady Videns–"

Before Ira could continue, O'lymni waved him off and sat down behind her desk. "I told you before, just O'lymni is fine."

"O'lymni." Addressing the [Grandmaster] without any titles was not something Ira would ever get used to, but one did not easily refuse such a simple request. "How can you remain so calm? If she is the one… doesn't that mean–"

"That the world will end?" O'lymni asked, interrupting Ira yet again. "The prophecy never said that it would, just that persons of importance will perish. Everyone, me included, just assumes that it means the Gods. And if we take into account what Natio and Vigil had their followers do, I think that is a safe assumption."

Ira was not surprised by the fact that the [Grandmaster] already knew what had transpired on their way to Ebenlowe; she always did. How she got the information was not something he knew, but he assumed Roots had something to do with it. Roots had been here long before the [Guides] came into existence – most [Guides] still thought of it as a normal tree – and nobody apart from O'lymni knew why it helped them in their quest to document the truth. Personally, he had a few ideas – a few more, now that there was a Goddess that Roots itself apparently revered.

Letting out a sigh, Ira shifted his thoughts away from things he would likely never know. Instead, he spoke up. "I assume that you already know what has happened to the Vinmaier child and his mentor?"

"Yes. Killed by Aperio. That will also be your next assignment," she replied, taking out a sealed envelope from one of the drawers on her desk. "This letter will inform Lord Vinmaier that his son offended a Goddess and paid with his life. The city guard forbids him from acting against any resident or visitor to the city, and will not pursue the matter themselves."

Ira took the surprisingly heavy letter, staring for a moment at the intricate runic seal that held it shut before safely storing it inside his [Personal Storage]. The tiny black rift reminded him of the star-filled one the Goddess had used to store the corpse, an action that made him question the origin of the skill. Not many people openly questioned the origins of the System, they just accepted it as part of the world. Not that asking gets you answers.

On the rare occasions that the question was actually openly posed, the Gods either directed the one who asked to Roots, or said that they made it themselves for the benefit of the mortals. All he knew was that no variant of the [Personal Storage] skill allowed one to deposit a body inside; not a fresh one at least. The length of time required varied, of course, but eventually you'd be able to store a body. Even one of a person.

He was taken from his thoughts and any potential questions as the [Grandmaster] abruptly stood up, smoothed over her robe and faced the door at the back of her office. It only took a moment for Ira to guess what would happen next and follow suit, moving a couple of steps to the side as to not obstruct the path from the door to the seat or the other exit.

It wasn't long before the door opened and Aperio walked into the room, her brows scrunched together in thought. What got Ira's attention however was not the winged Goddess, but the woman that walked in behind her. He had seen Ferio before, but he had not made the connection between the two. Now that they both stood in the same room, he could not help but think that they had to be related somehow. Do Gods have families?


Aperio's head was still spinning from the new information she had gotten as she stepped back inside the office of the [Grandmaster]. Her daughter was following close behind her, still looking a bit saddened at the fact that she did not remember her. At least, Aperio assumed that to be the cause of her downcast expression. It still pained her to see Ferio like that, but she had no idea what she should do. She could not just suddenly remember; she wasn't even sure if she actually wanted to.

That, however, was a question that could be put off in answering until after she had visited Maria. She had made a promise, after all, and she intended to keep said promise. In the process of learning of the little girl's life, Aperio also hoped to learn more about herself and her abilities. There was the distinct possibility that knowing more about Maria's life might be less than enjoyable, bringing about disgust and hate at what she as a Goddess could accomplish. In the end, though, it was all still her choice. Just because she could do something with her abilities did not mean that she had to.

But, what can the System do? Apparently, she had made the thing. Did that mean that she was responsible, indirectly at least, for everything that had been done with it? And, if it really needed her in some way, shouldn't she be able to control it? Aperio had asked Roots how it used the system, but for it, it was just like using any other magic. The simple action of willing the blue-tinted window with information on it to appear, unsurprisingly, did nothing.

Further testing would have to wait as both Humans – at least, she assumed O'lymni to be one – seemed to be stuck in a bow. Aperio furrowed her brow. She understood why they would pay respects to a Goddess, but to her it was more annoying than anything else. It was far removed from the normality she seeked in her new life. Not that I will get much of that.

The time she spent around others only showed her that she was anything but normal. Even among the Gods. With a sigh, she motioned for them to rise. "Could you not bow every time you see me? It is annoying."

"I will try my best," the [Grandmaster] said, straightening herself and brushing away any potential imperfections in her robe. "May I know what you intend to do now that you have returned?"

The question caused Ferio to stiffen, either because she herself anticipated Aperio's answer or, maybe, because she took affront to a mortal being so direct. The woman to whom the question was directed just tilted her head a tiny bit to the side, as she still had not decided what she wanted to do after visiting Maria. Maybe show Natio that he should not annoy me any further? The idea of fighting another God was exciting, but it was something she should probably only do once she knew if she could beat him. Maybe have a bout with Ferio?

"You wouldn't happen to have an arena or something like it that I could use?"

Aperio's words caused O'lymni to lose composure for the first time since she had encountered the woman. It only took a moment for her to regain her calm demeanour, but she still looked a bit puzzled at her request. "I doubt we have any that could withstand even a fraction of your power. But, may I know why you would need one?"

She had a point Aperio realised; she broke stone walls with a simple punch. Why would an arena fare any better? "I was just curious."

Any friendly fight between herself and her daughter would have to take place somewhere else. The Void? No, that would be unfair, wouldn't it? She would have to ask Ferio about potential places that were suitable for a godly bout, but that would wait until after she had visited Maria. "I am going to visit someone."

"A follower of yours?" O'lymni said, surprise evident in her voice. "I am sure they will be delighted to meet their Goddess. Do you require a [Guide] for the city?"

Before Aperio could reply, the voice of Ferio sounded from behind her. "I will guide mother."

There was no room for questions, a notion easily understood by the [Grandmaster] and the lone [Guide]. Ferio calling their newest guest 'mother' did cause the two of them to briefly adopt a visage of confusion. Aperio chose to not speak on the matter, as she only had the word of Ferio, a tree, and the ethereal knowledge of it being true to go on. If they wanted to know more they could always ask, and she would reply to the best of her ability. Learning to trust her instinct was something that would take time, but she would have enough of that now.

"She is your... mother, lady Ferio?" The [Grandmaster's] voice sounded uncertain, clearly not quite believing her ears but also unwilling to potentially offend a Goddess.

"In a way, yes," the Goddess of Life replied. "It is the closest analogy you would understand. The relationship is much the same."

"I apologise, I did not know this was the case," O'lymni said with a slight bow. "May I add it to the Record?"

"The Record?" The question loosened itself from Aperio's lips on its own, not that she regretted it. She would like to know what this 'Record' was.

With a now familiar motion, O'lymni took a big, heavy-looking tome from a black rift that had appeared before her. Presenting the book to Aperio, the [Grandmaster] explained. "The Book of Legends; also known as the Record or the Book of Truths. It is the duty of the [Guides] to go out and record history."

Aperio just shrugged and gestured towards Ferio. "I do not care, it is her decision."

Her daughter simply gave a brief nod at which the [Grandmaster] started to write on a blank page. Once she had finished, golden lines snaked across the page, framing the words she had written. Once her record had been completely encased, O’lymni’s name and title appeared below it, together with what Aperio assumed to be the current year. 1742 A.R.? What does that stand for? It was obvious that this was the current year and whatever they called the current era, but 'A.R.' meant nothing to her.

Pushing past the feeling of disgust, Aperio faced O'lymni and asked her question. "A.R.?"

"After Return," the woman replied without missing a beat. "It was decided to start a new calendar when the Gods returned."

Makes sense. Kind of. She could see why people would see the return of the pantheon as the start of a new era, but she had assumed the masses to be outraged that they had been abandoned. She herself certainly had been. Though, now that she thought about it a little, should she be mad at herself? Was she a Goddess still, while she had been a slave? Was it her death that returned her powers to her, or was it the ritual?

The questions crowded around her mind, and none of them seemed readily answerable. Pushing them down, Aperio turned to leave. She had to stay focused. One thing at a time. Talk to Maria first. "Thank you for your hospitality."

The [Grandmaster] was starting to bow again before she caught herself and, instead, simply nodded towards the two Goddesses. Ferio actually smiled as Aperio started to walk towards the exit, quickly catching up to her. "Where do you want to go?"

"The Terenyk estate."

"A noble house? Why?" Ferio seemed saddened, seemingly having assumed that she would get to spend time with her long-lost mother.

"I promised Maria I would visit her." That she was a soul she had done something with, was not something she would share just now. While Aperio felt like she could trust Ferio, she was not quite ready to rely on her instincts that much. One step at a time. "Afterwards I would like to talk to you in private."

Her daughter seemed content with the arrangement as she held out her hand for Aperio to take. Once she did, Ferio led her outside the building.

Arc 2 is go.

If you like the story, do leave a rating. If you really, really like it; please write a review!

You want to chat? Join the Discord. Want to read ahead? Check out the Patreon.

 

354