4. Broken Trust and New Beginnings
102 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning, school continued on and on. I studied, aced my tests, and then went home. After going home, I got ready for work, both at the barber shop and Starbucks. It was like that for the next three weeks. I visited my mother in the hospital every day before going to work.

During the last week of school, it was graceful. There were no tests, just wasting time and saying bye to everyone in class. 

 

It was Friday, the last day of school. I started my classes and waited in boredom for the day to finish.

Lunch arrived faster than expected. Since it was the last day of school, and I won’t see this place for the next two months, I decided to walk around during my lunch hour.

I visited the auditorium, the gym, some of my classrooms, and the fields. Normally, kids wouldn’t be allowed to wander like I am, but that’s only if you get caught.

What they don’t know, doesn’t hurt them.

I arrived in the band hallway. This is where the chorus and band classes are. Down this hallway, there’s an exit to the left. I heard some people talking there. The voices were muffled and I couldn’t hear them well because I was too far away.

I usually wouldn’t care about the conversation topics of other students, but the voices sounded oddly familiar to me.

As I walked closer to the people talking, I recognized them. It was, of course, Annika and her friends.

After the last incident with Max, I didn’t fully believe that Annika betrayed me like that. Because she was my best friend, I wanted to have hope in her, so I ended up eavesdropping on their chat.

“I’m going to miss you guys.” Annika said.

“I won’t miss you three at all because we’ll all be hanging out during the summer” Max interjected.

“You’re right. I can’t wait to try out all the bikinis in the designer store. You guys want to come with me?” Annika responded.

I was listening to the conversation with eyes full of determination.

‘I knew there was nothing to worry about. Annika would never betray me’ I thought to myself.

I started to turn away and walk back when I heard my name.

“Yeah, definitely!” Beatrice said.

“I can ask Grey for money before we go.” Annika spoke up again.

“How? I don’t think he’ll agree to let you spend hundreds on designer clothes.” Marley said, then moved her brunette hair off her shoulder.

“Hah! You guys don’t really know me, do you? I can just tell him that I don’t have any money to get my mom a birthday gift and my dad told me he won’t be giving me any cash.”

My pupils shrunk in shock.

‘No no. Maybe the other times she asked me for money was really for what she said. This doesn’t prove anything.’

“But didn’t you already use that excuse?” Marley asked.

“Yes and no. I just said different members of my family. So I asked him for cash to buy my dad a present, and then my dog. This time will be no different.”

“I guess he is stupid like that” Max commented.

My mind pretty much collapsed from the stress and tension built up from these past few weeks. I was a total mess. The only thing I needed to do was to get out. And so I ran as fast as I could away from there.

I didn’t care about the sound of my footsteps. All I knew is that I was not welcome and needed to leave.

 

I reached the stairwell where not a soul was and gathered my thoughts.

‘She.’

‘She really said something to them…’

‘How could she?’

‘After all the time she has known me for.’

‘She trusts them more than me?’

‘Does she really think this little of me?’

‘I’ve been there for her since we were kids…’

‘Why?’

‘Why?’

‘Why?’

‘Why?’

‘Why?’

‘Why?’

‘Why?’

‘Why?’

 

My mind was in shambles and I couldn’t think straight.

I was angry.

I was hurt.

I was sad.

My heart was broken.

My trust was shattered.

My faith and hope in my best friend who I thought was there for me every step of the way, who I shared all my deepest secrets with, is gone and will never come back.

‘No. I won’t let her come back.’

She made her choice.’

‘And now I make mine.’

‘I don’t know if I’ll be able to continue this.’

‘I don’t know what to do anymore.’

‘I can’t live without her. She was my purpose for living.’

‘No.’

‘Yes’.

‘No.’

‘I can’t think this way.’

‘But I can’t not think this way.’

‘I’ve lost everything dear to me.’

‘I can’t get back up.’

‘I will get back up.’

‘Why?’

‘Because the strong keep going through adversity.’

‘I am strong.’

‘I was weak.’

‘It’s time I become independent.’

‘I need to think of my own, spread my wings.’

‘Ok. I got this.’

 

As I was sitting in the empty stairwell, I finally came to a decision after thinking.

I’m going to overcome these struggles. I’m going to become independent. And most of all, I’m not going to let people take advantage of my kindness.

Cheers to the new me.

 

After gathering and sorting through my thoughts, the class bell rang and I went back to class.

The day ended fast and it was summer.

I was happy. I decided to leave and take the entire summer off somewhere else. I’m not going to stay in my house with all my memories for two months before school comes back to distract me.

I got home and looked online for places to visit. Since nothing came to mind that I could afford, a lightbulb suddenly went off in my head.

I called into both of my jobs and asked for a two month leave.

They agreed and I set off across the country, where OmniBeauty Headquarters were. If anything, I was sure she would be there.

 

I started packing my things. I took my contacts, glasses, clothes, shoes, gel, brush, deodorant, toothbrush, and the like.

It took me an hour to pack. I had booked a flight before I started packing and it was scheduled for the next morning at 3.

I then set my alarm and went to sleep.

When I woke up, I set off for the airport.

Finally, I reached the airport and went through security and got on the plane.

I’m 16, so I’m allowed to travel by myself.

 

The plane ride later...

 

Six hours on a plane had me spent. I got off the plane and looked around at many people with signs waiting for the other passengers.

I walked out of the airport and called for a taxi.

“OmniBeauty HQ.”

“Okay.”

And the car drove off.

While in the taxi, I decided to call Tina and let her know in advance so she wouldn’t be too surprised. She’s a busy person, so I’d at least like to let her know beforehand… somewhat..

The phone started ringing.

Soon enough, the ringing stopped and someone’s voice came through.

“Hello?” a man said.

“Hi. Is Tina available?”

“...” The man paused for a brief moment before answering. “No she isn’t.”

“Oh, well that’s too bad.” I was about to say something else when I heard Tina yelling on the other end. “Who is it? Give me my phone! Now!”

Right after I heard that, the man hung up.

About 3 minutes later, my phone rang. It was Tina.

“Hello?” I said.

“Hey! This is Tina. How are you?”

“I’m peachy.”

“Good, good! I’m sorry about the man who answered the phone earlier. He’s mean to me.”

“Mean?”

“Yeah, he keeps my personal phone away from me because it’s distracting. I’ll change that immediately.”

“Okay. Are you busy by chance?”

“Not really, why?”

“Okay then, where are you right now?”

“I’m in my office at HQ, why?”

“Oh, good! Because..”

The taxi stopped, I paid, and got out.

On the other end of the phone, Tina could hear the door close.

“Because what?”

“Because I’m here.”

“Sorry?”

“I’m here.”

“Here, here?”

“Yes. I’m about to enter the lobby.”

“YOU ARE?! THAT’S AMAZING! I’ll have them bring you right up!”

“Okay. See you in a bit.”

“Bye bye!”

I hung up and walked into the lobby of OmniBeauty HQ.

It was gorgeous! The walls were decorated in red while the floors were gold and marble. It was also HUGE!!! There were three buildings connected to each other. I looked around in awe.

Suddenly, a lady walked up to me.

“Hey, kid. Are you lost?”

“No.”

“Oh, then what are you doing here?”

“Waiting for someone.”

“Is it your mother?”

“No.”

It kind of pissed me off that she was treating me like a child.

“I can keep you company until the person you’re waiting for arrives.”

“You don’t need to do that. You’ve got work to do anyways. I don’t want to get in the way.”

“No no, it’s okay.”

“Okay then.”

And for five long minutes, we chatted about various topics from how she got her job to what she does now.

It was intriguing. She was 53 years old and has been working for OmniBeauty for 20 years.

Her job was a designer, she said.

Then someone else came up to me. It was a male in a suit.

“Sir, is your name Grey?”

“Who’s asking?”

“Follow me please.”

I looked back at the lady who I was chatting with. Her name was Laura.

She nodded, telling me it was okay and I followed the man.

“Bye Miss Laura!” I waved goodbye.

“Goodbye Mr. Grey.” She waved back.

I got on an elevator and the man pressed a button that read 50.

Fuck, the 50th floor. That’s really high.

We reached the top and walked to a huge metal door. The man knocked twice before entering.

He looked at me and I entered as well.

The office was HUGE! There was a desk right across from the door, and the person who sat behind it was Tina. I dragged my suitcase next to me and put it down.

Tina looked at me before getting up.

She was really intimidating when she was in her office. The pressure was almost unbearable.

Each step she took made a clack sound from her heels.

When she reached me, she hugged me suddenly. I could feel her boobs on me as she squeezed me tighter and tighter. I was finally released and the first thing I heard was a squeal.

“AAAAAA I missed you so much! I was wondering when you were going to call me!”

She kept rambling like a girl excited to see her friends that she hadn’t seen in years.

“Of course, I could have called you first, but as a CEO, it’s unbecoming and such. But to think you’d actually come here! I AM SO HAPPY!!!”

“Ah. Nice to see you too, Tina.” I smiled.

I looked no different from what I usually looked at school. I had contacts, glasses, a hoodie, joggers, converse, and a suitcase. Everyone else in the room was wearing designer clothes. I have never felt so out of place.

“Since you came all this way, I guess you’ll be staying for a short while? How long?” Tina asked.

“Two months.”

“Oh? That’s actually a while. Why so long?”

I’d need to tell you in private, since this is personal for me.

“Okay. Everyone except him, out.” She pointed at me while she said this.

Everyone present in the room, which was about 5 others, left.

“Grey, come here, let’s talk sitting down.”

She guided me to a lounge area and we both sat down.

“Okay, now tell me everything.”

“Yes ma’am.”

And so I did. I told her everything. My family situation, what happened with my best friend, and about my channel.

I know it’s not something that I should tell people, but Tina seemed reliable and if I didn’t hold back, perhaps she could help me.

“Okay, wow. That’s a lot. How old are you again? 16?”

“Yes.”

“Oh man. I feel sorry for you. It must have hurt.” Tina said with a solemn expression.

“It’s life. Everyone has to go through struggles at some point in their lives, right? Mine just started a bit early, that’s all.”

“How mature of you. Now I’m even more certain.”

“Pardon me?”

“Yes, I think it is a good idea.”

“Miss, I seem to have missed something important in this conversation and now am totally lost.”

“Okay, kid. How about this? I’ll contract you for two months. Within the contract, you’ll work for me every day. In exchange, I’ll cover your living and food expenses. And if you prove to me that my eyes were right, then I’ll get you on your feet.”

“Awesome! But if I do hit it big, what will I need to do for you?”

“I like your aspirations! When you hit it big, you’ll put our company first in line.”

“Deal!”

“Good, then here’s the contract.”

The paper had already been typed and needed some blanks to be filled in like the duration and my name.

We both signed and I accepted the contract agreement.

“Oh, right Tina, how should I address you in public?”

“Boss is fine.”

“Okay, boss.”

“Ok, right, Grey, you said you have a ‘look’ that you do when you make your videos, right?”

“Yes.”

“Starting from tomorrow, you’ll wear that every day. When working in this company, everyone needs to pay attention to appearance.”

“Yes ma’am.”

“Good, then. You’ll be living on the 51st floor.”

“There was a 51st floor?”

“Of course! Only the higher ups know about it. It’s my house. The one I usually stay in, anyway.”

“Really? Thank you for your hospitality in advance.”

“Of course, of course. Saves me money too.”

We got up and I grabbed my suitcase. We made our way to the personal elevator, only on this floor, and went up a story.

The elevator dinged and the doors opened to show a beautiful floor with practically everything.

Tina got off first and gave me a tour.

She showed me where her room was, the living room, the bathrooms, the kitchen, and my room. There was also a small gym with good equipment.

“Wow! This is amazing!!! Did you design this?”

“Sure did!” she said with a smug face.

“You’re amazing!! I love what you did with the interior walls for the bedrooms. The aesthetic is perfect! And the TV is placed perfectly in the living room. I couldn’t have done a better job myself.”

“Thank you, thank you. You have good eyes and confidence in your ability.”

“Thank you.”

“No problem. You should go to your room and unpack. When you finish, I’ll give you some basic jobs for today.”

“Okay.”

I headed over to the guest room where I’d be staying and unpacked my things.

The door happened to be barely open and Tina was watching.

After I opened my suitcase, the door burst open and Tina walked through the door.

I turned to look at her with confused eyes.

“Ah, did I do something wrong?”

“Yes.”

“I’m sorry. What did I do?”

“Are these all the clothes you have?”

“Yeah, about.”

“...” she deadpanned.

She was dumbfounded.

“Okay. I have your first assignment.”

“Yes ma’am.” I stood at attention.

“At ease, soldier. Your mission is to go into the mall and buy yourself some better clothes to wear. You’ll need 9 outfits.”

“N-n-nine?!”

“Yes. Your clothes are complete trash! You will not be seen in this company with these rags. Go get new clothes.”

I know she was helping me and all, but her insults still hurt my heart and soul.

“Yes ma’am.”

After finishing unpacking, I went downstairs and out of the building to the mall. She gave me her card and gave me no budget. Since she was a multi-billionaire, I assumed she wouldn't care for a few thousand and thus sent me to get clothes with no limit.

 

7