10. A Small Crush
105 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I decided to play along in her scene, so I responded accordingly like another boss to an old enemy.

“So we do.”

I walked closer to her desk and heard her speak.

“What business do you have with me and my people? We gave you the shipments you asked for. Is it not enough?”

“It’s not nearly enough.”

“Why?”

“Because it didn’t come with the biggest treasure of them all.”

“And what would that be?” She rotated her chair around to face me.

I walked right up to her desk and put my hands on it. After doing so, I leaned in and spoke while looking straight in her eyes.

“You.”

She blushed immediately and swung her chair back around, facing away from me. I almost got hit, but thank god I moved back in time to avoid it.

“And, cut!”

Someone walked out from the corner. I showed a slightly surprised expression, but it vanished after a moment.

“So, what was this about?” I wanted to know why there was this person I’ve never seen before in the CEO’s office and why Tina was acting this way.

Truth be told, I was perfectly fine with improvising for the little scene she put together.

“This is about you.” Tina stood up and walked next to the person. “Meet Director Griffin.”

“Nice to meet you, sir,” I said.

I looked at this ‘Director Griffin’ and noticed some unique characteristics. For one, he was short. He looked about 5’3, had grey hair, and black eyes. I cocked my head in confusion.

Tina noticed this action and took out her phone. She searched for the man on Wikipedia and showed me.

The phone screen displayed his profile and information. His height was 5’3, he was 70 years old, and he directed TONS of hit films throughout the years.

“Hm..? Interesting. I’ve heard of these films. You directed these, sir?”

“Oho. What an interesting reaction. Most people would address me more politely or suck up to me.”

“I’m not most people. I believe that treating someone the same as everyone else, regardless of status, fame, or their past is fair. Oh, unless that past involves me, then I’ll decide how to treat them.”

“Interesting, child. Tell me more.”

“Well, they say first impressions give you a first look at the person and what personality they have. I believe that if I meet someone for the first time, I’ll continue to treat them like how I met them until they want me to change, or if they do something that makes me change.”

“That’s a good set of beliefs.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“Hm. I think he’s right for the job. However, there are a lot of rules when on set.” He turned to Tina and started discussing with her.

“E-excuse me? Set?” I butted in.

“Yes, set.” He answered me, then started talking to Tina again. 

“Will he be able to handle it? There’s going to be some big people in this film. If he can’t control himself, then we’ll have to find someone else for the job.”

“No, I think he’ll do fine.”

“I hope so. Here’s the book of rules. And since he’s only playing a minor role, he doesn’t need the entire script. I’ll give him his portion.”

“I see. Now, about payment.”

“It’ll be about $5,000 for two weeks.”

“Great! I hope you do well, Gr-- Shay!” Tina exclaimed.

“Well with what? What did you push me into without my knowledge again?”

“Oh, just nothing. You’ll be playing a minor role in a film. Since you need money, I thought you could do this. Director Griffin asked me if I knew anyone who could play this role and you just so happened to be coming down for the summer. So, I put two and two together and here we are!” Tina looked so proud of herself, it was impossible to reject the offer.

“I’ll agree with the job, but only because you were right about my financial situation. It would help to get more money under my belt.”

“Awesome!”

‘I don’t know what kind of magnetic plot device is being used, but I’m not sure I like being dragged around like this at every given opportunity.’

“Here.” Director Griffin handed me the small script and left.

Written on the first page was the address of the scene location and what time I’d need to be there by.

It basically had my schedule and what I needed to do. Since I’ve never acted before, I needed some extra details.

The filming started today, so I’d need to be at the set tomorrow at 6.

I turned to Tina.

“So, should we discuss the two month contract now, or..?”

“Yeah, but first, let’s get you settled in.”

“Okay.”

She walked towards the elevator. I had to get my things before following her.

We did the same thing as last year, except there was no tour. I just knew my way around this place like it was my own home.

“Hey, Grey.”

“Yeah?”

“Do you remember what you told me before we parted last year?”

“About what?”

“About you calling me-- No, it’s nothing.”

“Hm? I’m sorry. I don’t remember much. I’ll try to remember."

Tina, who was in my room, left and went to the living room with a pen and a contract paper.

‘Something I called her… I can’t seem to remember anything. I wonder why…. Maybe it’ll show up later.’

As I was unpacking, I looked at the clothes I brought with me.

It was the same clothes as last year. I bought loose clothes last summer, but they now fit me perfectly? Oh well.

I hung up everything and looked at the layout. It was the same as last year’s setup. The way I placed my things, I mean.

Then, a fragment of my memory flashed in my head.

 

I was hugging Tina.

“Thank you so much. You have no idea how much this means to me. I know I thanked you in the penthouse, but I can’t do it enough. Thank you, big sister.”

Tina smiled and looked at me warmly, like I was her little brother.

 

The memory concluded and I was brought back to reality.

‘Oh.’

It clicked instantly.

I went outside into the living room and sat down across from Tina.

“So, here’s your contract. The details are basically the same, except, you’ll be getting a lot more free time to accept commissions. This way, you can grow your YouTube channel and work at the same time. You’ll also be here helping out like last year. It’ll be every other week. One week, you’ll be here, and the next week, you’ll travel around, taking commissions. I already have people in line. I notified them that you were in town again.”

“That’s a lot of information, Looks like this summer will be more interesting.”

“Looks like it. Now, I’m sure everyone is eager to see you again. Sign this and get going.”

“Got it.” I signed the contract and walked to the elevator.

The elevator dinged and opened. Right before I got inside of it, I turned around to Tina.

“Thanks, big sis.” Tina’s expression was mixed with shock and joy. It made me feel inexplicable happiness, knowing that she was happy.

I went down to the CEO’s office and exited through there.

I had a lot to do today. Since it was the closest, I visited the cosmetology department first.

Teegan, who was the chief of the Cosmetology department, welcomed me with a straight face. That’s so like him.

I found out that the cosmetics department developed a new product series called Perfection. It has everything, from foundations, BB cream, and powder to lip tints and glosses. It comes in a HUGE package and is sold at around $2,000. It’s a professional collection.

Even with how expensive it is, it still is selling out everywhere.

“Shay, I saved you one.”

“Really? Thank you!”

I was handed a huge box with nothing on the exterior. It was given to me this way because people would be suspicious and would try to steal it, had the name been there. The demand is unbelievably huge.

It also turns out, the products are sold individually as well. But it will be more money than the package if you bought everything one by one.

“It’s no biggie! You’ll be able to pay me back in no time!”

“I should have known!” I had a dark expression on my face. 

‘All the chiefs are like Tina! Oh. My poor soul! Not again!!!’ I was internally feeling sorry for myself and crying.

After saying hi to the cosmetics department and catching up, I went back to the penthouse and put the box in my room.

After doing that, I headed over to the design department.

“Shay!! You’re back!!!”

Laura ran up to me and gave me a big hug.

“Yeah, I’m back. Nice to see you again.” The other employees in the room crowded around me.

“I want to hear everything! Come, come, tell us.” Laura was over the top excited to hear about my life. She was SO excited that she gave everyone a break. 

She didn’t tell the workers to gather around me, but it just happened that way because they were all curious as well.

“So, when I got back….”

I proceeded to tell them the stories of my school year, leaving out the bullying part. I didn’t want them to worry or get angry for my sake.

“I did work at Starbucks, but got fired.”

“Why did you get fired?” Someone asked.

The person next to the worker hit them on the shoulder. “You shouldn’t ask things like that!”

“Sorry.” The person looked down.

“No, it’s fine. I’ll tell you all. It’s really no big deal. I got fired because I guess some people didn’t like the way I was doing my job. It started hurting the reputation of the store and the manager had to let me go.”

“Aww…” Everyone in the room said this in sync.

“It’s fine though. I got a new job at a gym. I can work out after hours too, so it’s nice.”

“You worked out? I thought you looked stronger and taller than last year.” Laura pitched in her observations.

“Yeah, I guess so.”

“Did anything else happen? It doesn’t sound like much happened in 10 months.”

“Uh, my channel grew again to 6K subscribers.”

“It did?! Awesome! What’s your channel? I’m going to subscribe.”

“Shay is the name. Thank you for supporting me!” I said with a bright smile.

When I said the name of my channel, everyone in the room took out their phones and shared my channel name to their contacts.

I just happened to see what they were doing and got flustered.

“Guys, guys! You don’t need to share my channel, I'm already grateful for the amount of people who like my videos.”

Laura spoke up. “We’re all here for you, so if you want to record in here, feel free.”

“R-really?? Are you all okay with that?”

Someone from the crowd spoke up.

“Our chief speaks for us. We trust her, so feel free to do whatever in here with your videos. I’m sure some of us wouldn’t mind being in them as well, isn’t that right?”

The entire crowd nodded at the same time.

“Thank you! I don’t know what to say. Just let me know when you want to make a video. I’ll be working every other week in the building.”

“We will. We’re glad you’re back.” Laura said.

“Glad to be back.” I smiled warmly.

“Okay, now. Everyone get back to work! We’ve delayed enough!” Everyone started getting back on track. 

Laura turned to me. “Shay, it was a pleasure seeing you. I’m sure that you have a lot of things to do, readjusting again. Thank you for making time to see everyone and share your stories. It’s now my turn to share my stories. Care to walk?”

“Sure. What have I missed?”

“We finished the collection for this year’s summer show. We’re working on the fall show and winter as well.”

“Awesome!”

“Right? We’ve also started working with new materials, such as leather and animal skin.”

My expression twisted.

“Poor animals.”

“We’ve had them imported from a tribe. Of course, we pay them generously.”

“I see.”

“Other than that, nothing much has changed.”

“Well, I hope to see your new collections. I’ve got to get going. I’ve got to stop by a couple more places before ending my day. I’ll see you in three weeks.”

“Oh? Three weeks?”

“Yes. I’ve got a major commission for my time for two weeks. Then I’ll start on week 3.”

“Got it. I’ll see you then.”

“Yep. see you.”

After bidding farewell to Laura, I stopped by Charity’s section.

I walked all the way to the styling building.

I couldn’t find Charity, so I walked around the familiar floors until I found her.

I just stood back and watched her do someone’s hair.

So even the chiefs have to see to appointments. I snickered internally.

I was leaning on the wall with my arms crossed.

That day, I styled my hair. I was wearing a messy quiff style and wore my black leather jacket with black jeans and my Off-White shoes. I had no glasses or contact lenses on either.

I had my chain connected to my wallet on my belt loop and inside my back pocket.

The girl in the chair looked at me in the mirror’s reflection and her eyes widened.

She said something to Charity, who was doing her hair. Then Charity, too, looked in the mirror’s reflection and saw me.

She turned to me and waved for me to come over.

I abided by her request and started walking over.

When I reached Charity, we started making conversation.

“Hey! It’s been so long! We can finally catch up now.” Charity was stoked.

“Yeah. I’m here now. I won’t be working until 2 weeks have passed, but I’ll be near here.”

“Why so long?”

“A big commission for my time.”

“I see, I see. Well, let me catch you up on things that have been happening here.”

“Okay. You should probably work and talk.”

“You’re right. Want to help me?”

“Sure.”

We reached the girl sitting on the chair and I took my jacket off, revealing a white, tight fitting shirt.

I looked down as I did this and spotted the girl’s ears turning red. Then I looked in the mirror only to see the girl’s face become crimson.

‘Oh.’

I ignored it entirely to prevent her from being embarrassed.

“So what are we doing today, boss?”

“We’re going to dye her hair from her ginger color to a red sunset.”

“Oh, that’s a good combination. Seeing as her hair is ginger originally, if her roots become ginger, it’ll still look natural.”

“See? I thought the same thing! You get me.”

“Likewise.”

“Let’s get started then, Mr. Shay.”

“Yes ma’am. I’d usually ask to record, but this time, you’re doing it, so I have no right to interfere haha.”

“It’s okay. We need the consent of the client first.”

“I see, but it’s fine. I’ll have plenty of-- Never mind. I won’t have many chances to record starting tomorrow.”

“Oh, because of the big job?”

“Yeah.”

Charity did the preparations before I started helping, so we just needed to mix the dye and paint. We both mixed the dyes and chatted at the same time. I had a feeling that the girl felt out of place, not knowing what was going on, so I decided to start a conversation with her too.

“So, how many times have you been here?”

“This is my first time here,” the girl answered shyly.

“Oh? What made you come here?”

“I heard it’s the best of the best. I felt like I could trust this company with my hair.”

“I agree. Are you doing anything fun this summer?”

“No, not really. I don’t have many friends to hang out with.” She looked down as if she was ashamed of herself.

“That’s not a bad thing. Keep your friends close.”

She nodded.

“What grade are you going into next year?” Charity asked the girl.

“I-I’m going to be a sophomore.” The girl’s face turned a shade redder. She was probably embarrassed. I wouldn’t blame her.

“Oh, that’s awesome! You’re near Shay’s age.” Charity looked at me. The girl also looked up at me.

We had finished mixing the dyes and started painting her hair, literally. We sectioned it off and put gloves on. 

After we finished foiling her hair, we all took a break.

Doing someone’s hair was hard work. 

“Do you guys want some food from the cafe?”

“YES! Give me a coffee.” Charity almost yelled.

“Food. Coffee is a drink.”

“Ugh. Then give me a club.”

“Got it. What about you, miss?” I looked at the girl. She was staring at me. It felt weird and my senses were at their peak.

“Miss?” I said again.

She snapped out from her daze.

“O-oh. I-I’d like a um… What do they have?”

“Pretty much anything.”

“Then a hamburger.”

“Got it. Anything to drink?”

“Water is fine.”

“Yes ma’am. I’ll be back in 15 minutes.”

And I left for the cafe.

 

When I reached there, it was quite empty. Since there was no one in line, I got to order immediately.

“For here or to go?” I heard someone say.

I turned around and faced the cashier. “To go.”

“What would you like to order?” The cashier asked.

“A hamburger, club sandwich, and a bagel.”

“Okay, anything else?”

“Yes. A Vanilla latte with cream, sugar, and two shots of espresso and two waters.”

“Okay. Your order will be ready in 10 minutes.”

“Thank you.”

During the 10 minute wait, there were lots of people passing by. A lot of their expressions showed frowns of fatigue and exhaustion.

There was a group of people near the bathrooms talking and laughing. There were 3 people there and one of them was definitely faking it.

I couldn’t hear what they were saying, but the other two were laughing and the third was laughing along. 

It was like they were trying to feel the mood, but just couldn’t. Maybe they are embarrassed about something.

It’s not my business, so I shrugged it off.

“Your order is ready. Hamburger, Club Sandwich, and bagel to go along with a coffee, cream and sugar with two shots of espresso and two waters.”

“Yes, that’s me.” Well, I was the only one in the cafe. I didn’t know why he said the whole order. Maybe to feel accomplished.

I walked over to get my food.

“That’ll be $26.”

“Aish. That’s expensive.”

I eventually handed the cashier the money with tears in my eyes and left with the food and drinks.

When I returned, Charity and the girl were chatting it up like girls do.

“Seems like you two are having fun.”

“Yep! Get this. Angelica has a crush.”

The girl, Angelica, turned so red, her ears were crimson.

“You shouldn’t be telling me that.”

“Why?”

“Because it’s rude to tell other people’s secrets…. Was it supposed to be a secret?” I looked at Angelica.

She shook her head slowly.

“Not to you, but to everyone else.”

“Oh, okay.”

I handed them their food and drinks. I started munching on my bagel after I put cream cheese on it.

“Just a bagel?” Charity asked.

“Yeah. It fills me up.”

“Are you anorexic?”

“No. I just have food at home.”

“Where are you living?”

“With my big sister.”

“Can I meet her?”

“You’ve already met her.”

“Hm?”

Charity was left in confusion and I planned on keeping it that way. 

There’s nothing more damaging to one’s reputation than having people know you’re living with a minor that you’re not related to.

“In about an hour, we’ll take off the foil and wash your hair. It should be done by then.” I spoke to Angelica.

She nodded and we continued to eat.

I finished my bagel really fast and decided to doze off until it was ready.

We were sitting on a couch. I was at the right end of the couch, while Angelica was at the other end. Charity was in the middle, of course.

I crossed my legs and arms and dozed off to sleep.

While I was half-asleep, I felt stares on me. It was uncomfortable. And I was even more aware of it because my eyes were closed.

When you lose one sense, the others become heightened.

I could hear their conversation.

“So, miss Angelica. Who is your crush and when have you started liking him?”

“He’s tall, handsome, has blue eyes and black hair, and I started liking him today.”

Charity gasped as it hit her.

They both looked in my direction.

“Oh. Sweetie, I’ll cheer you on, but don’t get your hopes up. He’s very sought-after. I know about 5 people in this department who like him.”

“Oh..” Angelica sounded dejected.

“But it’s not like you don’t have a chance! He’s only two years older than you.”

“Really?” Hope reflected in her tone.

“Yeah. He’ll be a senior when school starts again.”

“Wow. And he works here. That’s amazing.”

“I know, right? It makes me wonder what I did at his age.”

“So cool.”

They both looked at me again.

My eyes were shut.

“He’s so beautiful when he sleeps,” Charity said.

“Yeah. I wish I could look that good,” Angelica agreed.

“No wonder he got into modeling. If I were him, I’d do too.”

“He’s a model?”

“Yeah. He comes down here and models during the summer as well as works here.”

“Wow, what else does he do?”

“He has a business card, would you like it?”

“Yes please.”

As someone who is looking for work, I always keep some business cards on me. In this case, they were in my jeans pocket.

I felt someone coming closer and opened my left eye so little that I could see my eyelashes.

I saw Charity’s hand reach for my left pocket and grab onto the stack of cards. She pulled on one of the cards and slid it out of my pocket.

“Here.”

Charity handed Angelica my business card and smiled.

“Shay, YouTube: Shay, hair stylist, clothing designer, makeup artist, and a model. Wow, that’s a lot. I wonder who he modeled for.”

“Uh, Cloth & Soft Apparel? Tread & Thread Clothing? Something like that. He mentioned it before.”

“You mean Thread & Tread Apparel?”

“Yeah, that’s the one.”

“Oh. I’ll look for his photos then.”

“Go for it. I’m sure he’d be happy if you spread his name.”

They continued to talk about numerous things like what happens in school to prepare for college and getting a job.

Like there was an alarm in my head, I opened my eyes and stood up.

“Oh, you’re awake?” Charity looked at me.

I sighed through my nose and looked at the two of them.

I nodded. “Time to wash her hair.”

“Wow, what good timing! It’s exactly an hour since you came back!”

“Mm” was all I could manage to answer. I was tired.

We brought Angelica to the sink and started washing her hair.

When we finished, I was tasked with drying it and Charity would tell me the spots I missed.

Angelica’s cheeks were pink. I guess she got used to my presence.

I finished drying her hair and then Charity brushed it out.

“Would you like a particular style done to your hair, or keep it straight?” Charity asked Angelica.

“What can you do?”

“Anything, now that Shay is here.”

“Okay, then can you do a rose?”

“Rose? How big and how many?” I asked.

“Any size and two please.”

“As you wish, ma’am.” I bowed.

Angelica laughed and Charity smiled.

I ran a comb through Angelica’s hair after Charity brushed it.

I took the two front pieces of her hair and braided them until they met. Then, I did two roses at the end of the braid, connecting the two pieces. I asked Charity to hold the end so it wouldn’t be messed up.

“Done! Have a look and tell us what you think.”

“Wow!! Thank you so much!”

“No problem. It’s my job, after all.”

“Well, you’re good at it!” Angelica and I met eyes and her face turned red once again, overpowering the excitement she had a few moments ago.

She paid her fee and gave me and Charity a big smile.

I had already been shipped the newest products from the styling department, so I didn’t need to carry anything around.

“I’m tired from the plane. I’ll see you sometime in the future maybe.” I turned to leave.

Before I reached the door, Angelica called out to me.

“Shay, if you’re only available for the summer, is it because of school that you don’t work here every day?”

“Two things: School, and I’m not from here, as you may have picked up by the fact I traveled here by plane.”

“Where do you usually live?”

“Florida.”

“Really? I’m going to Florida soon! Maybe we can meet up one day.”

“Probably not because I have work every day, but I’ll still be here for the rest of the summer.”

“Can I contact you?”

“You have my business card,” I smirked before turning and leaving.

Just as I was turning to face the hallway, I caught a glimpse of Angelica and Charity’s faces turning bright red.

‘Caught red-handed.’

I chuckled to myself and exited the room.

Unfortunately, the district blocked this website, so I can't post during the school year during the day. However, it's now Summer break, so I'll have some more time to write.

6