Chapter 6 – Fairies, Tales, Gore. From least to most.
299 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 6 - Fairies, Tales, Gore. From least to most.

 

We got out to the Canal. It looked calm, people were walking around doing their usual business. 

Some people walk around trying to sell various things just yelling out their salespitches while walking down the street. 

We rode south along the canal looking for anything odd, weird, attacks, bandits or straight up maybe a monster. 

 

A small fairy flew up beside me, maybe 100cm or so, it had beautiful wings though. 

It Looked at me intensely. 

I smiled, waved.

" anything I can he-" it teleported away.

"hum, weird". I paused. 

What could that be about? 

"Did you see it, Herod?" I said and looked behind me. 

"What no, I was talking to this lady here" he said and pointed at a tortoise-girl with a dumb big smile on his face.. 

She had huge cans and a slim waist, 170 tall if I'd guess. 

Human looking but a shell on her back. 

They could retrakt into it for cover if I remember right, not sure the same goes for a half human though.

 

"nevermind then" I sighed. 

"let's move on, all okay with the girl?" I said looking at him with an intense look.

I could tell that he knew I knew he just fired up a conversation to stare at her boobs.

He blushed up.

"hehe.. Yea I was just.. Yea, sorry." he scratched his head. 

I sighed then laughed it off.

 

We moved along the canal. 

I noticed 2 people in robes passing us by looking sketchy, I saved the image of the robes in my head. 

Pitch black, two red lines going across them. 

Can’t really bugg people for being weird, so we wandered on. 

A flock of birds flew above us making noise. 

Heading south. 

They usually land on an island south of our country. 

Quite huge things, 250cm tall when standing in front of you on the ground. 

Either black, green or white or a mixture of the colours. 

But they never bothered any humanoid races, so no threat, just a nice sight. 

I think they’re called Ostrabirds or something.
We passed quite a few tortoise people, heading north.

“what’s up with all the tortoise people heading north Herod?” I said.

A big cart came drawn by two Bull Centaurs, taking up a large part of the road.
“Well, I heard something about some, gathering… 

I do not remember what about though” He said and scratched his head, leaning it slightly while smiling as we kept going.

I waved at the centaurs to pass through, and Kiwi grew then phased so they clearly saw she was see-through and there was more than enough room for them to pass below us, right through Kiwi. 

They looked a bit confused holding out their hands inside Kiwi when they went on through, looking amazed by their expressions.

She is really beautiful to look at though, with all the magic pulsating through her.

 

“It's a spirit! A real one dude!” the left one whispered.

“she must be an elf summoner” the other one whispered back.
“Oh well, then they’re probably heading for that thing.” I sighed.

“Remember to, or remind me to, look it up later then” I said. 

“Sure thing Nana!” He yelled out. 

“You Don’t have to yell, I'm literally a few cm away…” I said annoyed as I turned my face towards him as I said it, doing a real annoyed expression as well.

Adding a fake thundercloud above my head with some wind and lightning magical energy I summoned up.

Just, cause…

why not.

“Sorry Nana..” he mumbled as he covered his mouth with his hand, concealing his laughter.

 

We kept moving, Kiwi shrank down to horse size again. 

A Horsecentaur passed us together with 2 Horsemen, all carrying vegetables it seemed. 

I could smell them. 

They waved and smiled, I waved back. 

It’s probably a delivery to my favorite stand. 

We were hovering just above the street as Kiwi catched a scent, sniffing in the air. 

We were nearly by the harbour at the southwest end of block 4. 

I leaned forward and asked, 

“What is it Kiwi?” I tried to pick up the scent too.
“What are you guys doing?” Herod said confused, looking at us like we were the weirdest thing he’d seen today. 

“Give me a second” I held up my finger with my right hand towards Herod.

 

I enhanced my sense of smell a bit more, trying to focus on that thing.. 

I remember it, the smell, I just goto sort it out of all these different smells.. 

Trying to find and isolate a scent with magic Is like there are a ton of strings in front of me and I'm trying to find the correct one by checking each string how it smells to me by magically grabbing it. 

And enhancing my smell too much would add way too many strings, so it's a bit tricky if you don't know how. 

 

"You smell it Nana?" Kiwi communicated to me. 

“Yes.. Unfortunately I think so” I said.
“What?” Herod said, confused and scratched his chest.

I guess he was itchy there or something.

 

“I’m talking to Kiwi, we gotta move, be ready for combat” I said in a serious tone as I gathered up magical energy into my body. 

We took off quickly, following the scent, phasing through a lot of people on the way. 

it led us into an alley going east between some rows of houses. then it led into a wall. Literally, right into a solid wall.

 

“The scent goes through here. Some sort of Concealed entrance.” I said as we stopped.

It was a solid rock wall built between the houses' backsides, with a small squirrel sitting there shaving nuts in front of it. Huh.

“Jump off kiwi, let her check it out.” we jumped off standing back. 

 

There were two Lizardmen leaned at the wall behind us to the right, armored and sheathed swords. 

No sigil on them except two red lines on the black armor. 

A frogman to the left behind us, black leather armor, no weapon that I could see. 

Also two red lines going down the chest. 

They looked at us as they fiddled with something. 

It looked like they were standing there trying to sell or prepare something illegal. 

There were some crates between them. Might be drugs, weapons or well, who knows.

They eyeballed us a lot as we rode into the alley and as we now stood there in front of them talking, looking at a wall. 

We ignored them for the moment, some dealers or whatever ain't the issue now.
Kiwi passed through the wall. 

Came back out. 

 

“Yes, cast a dispel on the area Nana” Kiwi communicated to me. 

I aimed my hand at the wall, a wave pulsated forward like a barrier sort of, removing all magic in its way. 

The wall disappeared, so did the squirrel that was in front of the wall. 

Apparently they added a squirrel into the illusion. First time i’m seeing that.

Oh well.

A small way leading to an entrance. 

There were two armored guards stationed by the door. The armor covering their bodies, and couldn't see their faces or what race they were. 

They both readied their weapons.

 

“What are you doing?” We heard the frogman yell from behind us.

We heard them unsheathe weapons. 

We turned around. 

I cast an illusion spell at the entrance to the alley so no one would see what was going on if they passed by, normal police would be bothersome. And no one would accidentally wander in also, of course.

Herod chanted something that brought forth dual short-swords and stood ready for combat. 

“Kiwi, keep an eye on the guys by the door.” I mumbled. 

“Sure thing Nana” she communicated.
“I said, What are you doing?” the frogman repeated, with an angry tone, walking closer to us slowly.
“Just go away and no one has to be hurt,” I said in a calm tone, pointing to the exit of the alley.

I glanced behind. The guard by the door just stood there, not moving an inch. 

 

I guess they’re waiting for these lower ranks to sacrifice themselves to study what we got.

It’s only a guess of course, but. That’s what I'd do if I were them. Or a surprise attack from the rear when we’re busy.

Anyway, Kiwi was watching them.

One lizardman started laughing. 

“Now brother, tell your lady here to forget what you saw and go away and, yes, no one has to be hurt.” he said snarkily to Herod with a smirk as he also started to walk towards us slowly in a circular pattern.

“You’re not my brother, you’re just a criminal I’ll have to assume if you draw weapons against a peacekeeper.” Herod said calmly.

Herod throwed his sword as he finished the sentence. As he threw it he was chanting a spell. 

The sword morphed into a spear in the air, piercing the Lizardman’s throat, pinning him to the wall. 

Blood quickly pumped out of him covering the wall and the ground as he made loud gurgling noises and flapped his arms around.

He kept chanting as he’d thrown the sword/spear, and a new sword appeared in his hand as he leaped onto the other Lizardman and clashed swords with him. 

The Lizardman parried, they kept fighting in close combat. The Lizardman who’s throat had been pierced stopped moving.

 

The Frogman jumped at me yelling “Die intruder scum!” with his sword drawn ready to slash from above. 

I phase-stepped out of the way quickly to the right. In case he was quicker than he looked.

He missed me and struck the ground. 

I slapped in the air, aiming at him, sending a wave of magical wind energy punching him in his face. 

Resulting in him being thrown into a house’s wall further down the alley by the force. 

I heard his skull getting crushed and saw his head pop like a balloon, painting the wall red.

Some blood splatter hit my feet. 

It was a very messy scene overall. “Ops.. Maybe I used too much..” I mumbled and let out a giggling noise. I looked over at Herod.

Herod was fighting with the Lizardman. 

“Team up with a halfling and the peacekeepers?” the lizardman said, panting, as they kept fighting.

“Damn filth, how can you team up with those murderers” pointing at his comrade with the crushed skull while pointing his blade at Herod.
“Hey, you drew weapons at us, peacekeepers ain’t no murderers.” Herod said calm with a smile on his face. 

 

He jumped herod again shouting in anger, Herod parried him.

He tried to strike his side, but Herod dodged gracefully, making it look super easy.

“Just put down your weapons and walk away, we’re not after you.” Herod said with a very nice tone.
“How can I.. You murderers, You killed my brothers!” He yelled, then charged at Herod. 

"filthy halfing sympathiser!" he yelled in his charge ready to slash from the side. 

As he swung his blade, Herod chanted something. Blocked with both his swords, then one of them morphed into an axe which he swung up into the guys stomach and split him from the stomach, up to the head. 

He staggered backwards, bleeding all over the place like a fountain as he slowly opened up, spilling his insides on the ground. Then fell down backwards all the while making some gurgling sounds.

Talk about separating the left brain from the right brain! I looked at the scene, surprised. I then shook my head and walked up to Herod.

“It’s okay, don’t let them get to you,” I said as I put a hand on Herod’s shoulder. 

He looked at me, dried off some blood that had gotten on his face with the backside of his hand and smiled. 

“Don’t worry Nana, some crazy pureblood fanatics won't get to me” He said, smiling. 

I smiled back at him.

“We got this.”. Herod nodded. I Nodded back.
We turned towards the doorway. 

The guards still stood ready, just observing. Huh.

Herod stood ready with his weapons on guard.

 

"I sense magic coming from these." Kiwi communicated. 

"Do you think they'll stay put if we search these guys Kiwi?" I leaned down, squatted beside her as I asked, keeping my gaze towards the enemy.

“I think they might be golems, I don’t sense life, just, magic.” Kiwi communicated. 

I nodded at Kiwi. 

I turned towards Herod and stood up.

“Herod, Lets search the guys we took care of and their supplies, see if we can find something.” I said as I started walking towards the frogman’s corpse. 

“B-but, the guards?” Herod stuttered out, standing readied with his weapons looking at them.

“They’re golems, magically created guardians. Kiwi doesn’t sense life in them.” I explained as I kneeled down and searched the frogman’s pockets. 

“Which means they won’t attack before we go close enough. Since their order probably was to just guard that door, not the alley” I explained.

Nothing on the frogman. 

Just a hidden knife and a canteen filled with something that smelled like alcohol. 

Might be poison though. 

Smelled like his weapons were coated in some poison. 

I aimed my hand at the dagger, and teleported it. 

Herod lowered his weapons and took a deep breath.

“So it's safe to put away my weapons for now?” he said, a bit more calm. 

“Yes don’t worry, and Kiwi is keeping her eye on them” I said and smiled at him. 

 

"Hello, Daeron, can you hear me?" I opened a communication line. 

"Yes, you sent me the dagger I assume?" he answered. 

"Yes, analyze the poison it's coated in please." 

"sure thing, call me back in a bit" 

"thanks. Love you." 

"love you too" I ended the comm line. 

I walked towards the crate. 

 

“Search those Lizardmen, there was nothing on the Frog.” I pointed at them, kneeled down and tried to open the crate. 

Herod despawned his weapons, took a deep breath.

"Yes Nana, on it!" he said and walked over towards the lizardman who’s throat he’d pierced earlier, still keeping an eye towards the guards by the door.

“Eeh, so much dried blood. Are there even pockets or anywhere to put stuff in an armor like this?” he asked while patting down the guy. 

I was attempting to open the crate, I couldn’t just open the crate normally. 

it stayed shut. 

“Well, break it off. see if they got something underneath” I said as I put my hand above the crate. expelled some magic force to detect enchantments. 

 

Just as I thought, magically sealed with a lower level spell then rigged to explode with a much higher level spell if someone dispels the seal. 

They put some thought into this. 

“This crate, it’s rigged.” I said calmly as I put out my hand, focusing my magic into my palm and channeled out a ray of dispelling magical power. 

The Enchantments were both dispelled. 

But the crate broke in the process. 

“Aww.” I made a sad face, looking disappointed. 

“Wait, you tried to dispel a rigged crate when you knew it was rigged?” Herod exclaimed as he’d started searching under the armor, he had broken off the armor into pieces by chanting something. 

Hacking it off with some weird weapon he channeled forth.

“Yea, it was just amateur magic. But it was rigged so a lower level magic user would’ve been blown up if they tried" I said, leaned my head slightly to the left looking at the remains. 

I moved the planks, some sort of paper was stored here. Herod shook his head at my explanation.

Fliers maybe? 

scrolls? 

It had been smashed out, just some pieces left. 

I might’ve used too much force. 

“What do you think it was?” Herod asked as he came over, standing over me looking down at it.
“we’ll know in a second.” I said as I focused on using a restoration spell on the piece of paper I held. 

 

Slowly the pieces and powder flew up and connected together, like a puzzle, in front of us.

“Woaw. You sure are handy. I get why the commander just got you in at such an early age.” Herod said looking quite amazed.

The paper had been restored. 

It’s a flier for the Pureblood Society… 

Like an invitation.. 

Nothing on it except some logo, a human in a robe, holding up his right hand, holding a book in the left and light shining on him with the text “Pureblood Society” above him. 

Then at the bottom, the word "invitation". 

All written scrambled with magic, so those it isn’t meant for shouldn't be able to read it. 

But I automatically see through any such petty magic for some reason. Can’t say why exactly.

“It’s an invitation, for these pureblood fanatics. No place, location or anything though.” I said.

Opened my storage space, took out my paper slime. 

 

-

A magical slime that can be synced with other paper slimes to send copies of paper basically. 

Or they can also just make copies. 

They are slime that can produce paper, so someone had the idea at one point that you could sync them up with magic to deliver messages to those synced to your slime. 

But you had to have the slimes you wanted to sync up next to each other and cast a certain spell to do that. 

Mine were synced to one at home and one at the base, specifically the commanders own such slime.
I had also synced the commanders slimes with several other such slimes and given her.
“Nana! This is fucking amazing! Now I won’t have to send any damn messengers to the town up north, I can just write my freakin message and be 100% it will show up as is!” Lilith had yelled at me as she broke her cup in excitement when I showed her. 

She had given one to Yuna, which is how she gave her the news about Kiwis armor earlier, then sent one to each base the peacekeepers had and kept a few which I don’t know where she put.. 

-

 

I put the flier into the slime.  

"Are you sending a copy to the base?" Herod asked.

I sent one copy to the base and one copy home to Daeron. 

"Yes, to Lilith." I said, as the slime was done it spat out the paper again. 

"These guys must've been tricked. Do you think it's.. That nation behind this?" I said, a bit disgusted. 

Then I threw the slime and the flier back in the storage and closed it. 

"not sure.. " Herod replied quietly. 

Then changed his tone. 

“So, we found a pureblood hideout? Church? Whatever?`` Herod said with a bit of excitement in his voice, fiddling with his fingers.

“Yes, looks that way.” I said calmly. 

I felt some anger grow up inside me...

12