Chapter 19 There
9k 29 223
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I stood behind Anaise in the great hall. It was breakfast time, and the most prominent figures of the Manor were busy breaking their fast.

Aikerim sat in the centre of the feast with two rows of tables on each side. Each accompanied with a sofa. Each accompanied with a posh fox lying on it and consuming the delights in front of them. A sea of tails and ears I haven’t seen since my trip to the tower. Even Wrena was here. Some enjoyed the food. Some enjoyed being present here among the ‘elite’ occasionally reminding their neighbours how long they have been invited here. Others enjoyed the sight of Domina, their puppy eyes looking awkward on their vulpine faces.

Anaise enjoyed telling her mother about the upcoming trip.

Judging by the occasional glare and the twitch of her eyes, unseen by all but directed at me, her mother didn’t enjoy hearing about it somewhat.

A horde of slaves lined up the walls. Sulla was here as well, standing with the rest in the same manner as I did. I didn’t know how many of them were attendants like us, but most were here to make sure the food remained bountiful on the tables. With occasional slave moving to replace a dropped skewer or to refill an empty glass.

There were even a few musicians here. A soft and simple melody. Background music, that perfectly suited for something like this.

Annoyed at the resplendent smells coming from the tables, and perfectly aware of the things Anaise was telling her mother. I let my mind wander off.

Yesterday had been a very fruitful day. Placated and emboldened by our shared interests, we had spent a decent chunk of our time planning our excursion for today. I even included an additional visit to a luthier for my personal gain. While I trusted Wrena’s recommendations I was still a single murk customer for the distinguished artisan. While I trusted him not to make sloppy work, but I wanted something as close to perfection as possible.

I already had to compromise and use catgut instead of steel or nylon strings that they still lacked precision and technology to make. Or more advanced organic fibres that required heavy genetic engineering and quite a few specimens of spiders to even attempt. I couldn’t even trust him with making a fretboard, for I would spend more time trying to explain to him how a twelve-note system works instead of simply hammering the frets myself afterwards.

Needless to say, a tactical visit by an interested Lady of the House of Trade should make him a bit more aware of how meticulous my order was meant to be.

It also had another purpose, which I kept hidden from Anaise. No matter what words we chose to describe it, we both knew that it was I who will be bringing her into the Pillar. If our social standings were reversed she would have felt grateful. Instead, there was a high risk of her feeling inadequate instead. The heiress of the Manor leeching from the status of her mother’s slave. One thing I wanted to avoid was to have it grow and fester into resentment.

Haggling for this detour made it more of an equal exchange. Two people of unequal status helping each other out in a manner only they can. Leaving her content with the result, and leaving me hopeful for an excellent instrument. Building up the camaraderie between us.

And leaving her to stew in the curiosity about the instrument I was so anxious to make.

I wondered for a second, how a classical Spanish guitar would be received in Emanai. But I could not fathom how the works of Tarrega, Segovia, and Albeniz would fail to generate a response. People like them made the guitar into the instrument of romance for centuries onward.

I also primed Anaise with a few ideas for the debate with Virnan. Mostly so that she won’t feel lost in the conversation that would undoubtedly result between us. While giving her some personal ammunition to shine in front of her idol. Giving me yet another score of brownie points.

We didn’t slack off on the Aikerim tasks either. To do so would have cut our budding relationship extremely short. But instead of us trying to dance around each other, unsure of the other’s intentions, Anaise simply gave me the crash course on the nuances, while I devoured the general knowledge from the books.

It was an extremely intense session, but I was already noticing the returns from it. The major part of the wermage and free wer wardrobe was actually the belt. A piece of clothing, I had seen as the means to keep your other clothes on and hold your purse, was the ultimate symbol of its owner status. The minutiae of a belt or sash design telling everyone a plethora of information, making sure you would address the wearer with the proper decorum. Bought by Sulla, my own was already telling a story, the stitched pentagrams assigning me the status of a scholar.

I could already guess which werfoxes around me were closely related to Domina, and which were further away, yet still followed her in the formation of her Manor. Just that alone was already telling me that Aikerim had established herself well even before the split. But it was a recent occurrence too, judging by the lack of other bestial forms around.

After the productive evening, came an extremely productive night. Irje and Yeva sequestered themselves, busy with yet another scheme of theirs. I enjoyed their occasional snickers as I kept devouring the books while drawing runic patterns on a small slab of slate. I got that one exactly for this purpose, small to be held in hands but also quick to erase in case someone barged in.

The runes I had seen on Anaise dress gave me an idea I couldn’t put aside. Detector runes. My first foray into the runic carving with a purpose in mind. Armed with a pilfered knife and supported by my polished designs, I carved out small beacons in every corner of the house, as well as the door and window frames.

These were the basic shapes. My biggest and most challenging design found its place on the floor. An array of extremely sensitive runes, that inhibited each other. Theoretically, it would only light up at least three portions, closest to the caster and aimed in the correct direction. I called it FloDAR, a Flow detection and ranging system, capable of triangulating and pointing at the hidden mage trying to do their sneaky business.

It was extremely basic and barely had any range whatsoever. Maybe ten or so meters around the house. But it was a step forward.

Not that I suspected any mages doing so near my house, but Aikerim's knowledge left some suspicions in my mind. Besides, forewarned is forearmed, as Cervantes once said.

“…I shall visit it before my arrival to the Pillar.” Anaise finished her tale.

From the corner of my eye, I noticed Wrena perk up, hearing the store Anaise was heading toward, and giving me a quick glance. Aikerim noticed the by-play as well. The neutral swishes of her tail betrayed by yet another twitch of her eyebrow.

“Very well,” Domina nodded graciously. “Virnan Shah would be pleased to see you. And it would do you good for your upcoming tutelage with him.”

As the crowd murmured their praises to the rising intelligence of her daughter, I received a pointed look.

She continued, turning back her gaze on Anaise. “Find me when you are back, tonight. I will be interested to know how your trip went in detail.”

Thank you Aikerim, I shall use your name shamelessly and openly to flee the tower once again.

The morning feast continued with others also informing Domina of their actions for the day or politely requesting her assistance in the tasks ahead. Most of which were very mundane. Although I did notice the undertones of my activity already. Increased supplies for threads and lumber, enquiries about questionable land purchases and unashamed interest in new products.

Anaise timed her exit well, bidding farewell early and leaving the table while her mother was still occupied with the rest of the family.

And then I realized a very peculiar detail I haven't noticed before. People like me crossed the city on foot. Even the army had to dismount within the city. Merchant carts were forbidden to ride the streets during the day, resulting in an evening and morning rush of deliveries.

Despite the public toilets and the presence of running water through the city, the streets were rife with filth and dirt. Usually waiting to be washed off with the next rain. While my feet were already used to jumping from one clean cobblestone to another, expecting Anaise to do the same would be a stretch.

Fortunately for the gentle society, someone had come up with an ingenious solution of attaching handles and a cover to the sofa. Turning it into a palanquin, or a litter more specifically.

So off we went with me walking beside Anaise. Surrounded by eight burly slaves carrying her and two more that made sure she would enjoy the fresh breeze all the time.

The summer was here, and with it came the unending heat, exacerbated by the moisture from the sea. The smell of civilization, woken up by the glaring sun, made itself present even here among the rich districts.

We spoke quietly. Intent to keep our conversation clandestine. We didn’t discuss anything secret or important, but it allowed us to drop the convoluted forms we were expected to adhere to in the public. Something that I had already read about and tested by her beforehand. Our topics were random, Anaise would ask me questions that would come to her as we walked, and in return, she would share with me the stories about the parts we were walking by.

She stopped herself in the middle of such exposition, frowning. Before I could ask what was wrong, she raised her hand telling the carriers to stop and wait. Picking up on the unsaid I stepped aside waiting for whoever decided to greet her. Whoever it was, his position was great enough for her to stop and wait for the approach.

Speak of the devil.

“I see you have gotten yourself an assistant.” The inquisitive Mephistopheles approached us, grinning ear to ear. Still wrapped in the red khalat of his. “A bit of silver to make your gem brighter?”

“Yes,” Anaise replied, carefully. “He is a valuable asset of our household, Your sight is in my heart, Albin Chasya.”

He turned to her as if just noticing. The sly smile not leaving his face as he did so. “And your name is on my lips, Anaise Hilal.”

I observed him as he bowed to my mistress. Taking in his features and applying them to the canvas of my current knowledge. His sash alone held a hundred stories within itself. A scholar, record-keeper and a general, or as it is known here: arms-master. He fought in seventeen campaigns and came out victorious in each of his battles. The list of his achievements was numerous and further obscured by the golden filigree.

As Anaise had said to me before, he was the Speaker of the House. Shebet - the House of Records as he coined it himself, or the Administration House as everyone else had seen it as. The Pillar Manor. In the eyes of Emanai Manorat, he was one of the seven most influential persons in the country. His words alone could send it into a new conquest, or stop a law from passing.

To say that this person was loaded with power was an understatement.

The reasons behind Aikerim frustrations were obvious. Albin clearly had a much higher position than her. The position of Speaker of Kiymetl belonged to Aikerim’s mother. The matriarch of the entire family. And yet he cast a clearly opposite image from the prim and proper Domina.

The lack of twin braids, that every free citizen wore with pride, wasn’t a snub to the tradition. It was a scoff at their religious beliefs. These braids represented the twin Gifts that made the Emanai. A necessary activity of every wermage during the morning ablutions was to make sure the braids were in the best form and shape. Additional jewellery was a sign of piety and thus rarely omitted as well.

Anaise herself spent nearly half an hour only choosing hers. Eventually settling on the gorgeous pair of emerald tori, encrusted in gold. Green as her eyes, they made a stark contrast with the red braid that held them in place. A touch of gold to make the transition smoother.

My mistress frowned, clearly taken aback by the lack in his appearance. “May I enquire what is the purpose of this meeting?”

“I had a wish to meet the both of you. Well, Erf specifically.” He replied bluntly, skipping quite a few polite exchanges in the process.

The twitch in Anaise brow clearly indicated that she noticed that as well. “Perhaps we could meet at a later time? My mother will be delighted to welcome you inside our Manor.”

Translation: I don’t want to talk to you right now, come back later when my mother can cow you into behaving properly.

Albin scrunched his nose. “And spend three hours talking about politics or similar nonsense? No, thanks.”

I noticed the lull around us as the two bickered about proper etiquette. Glancing around I saw the people continuing to move about in perfect silence. Even slaves that carried Anaise made no noise, yet were perfectly content with the current situation as it was something usual.

Glancing back at our interloper I noticed the faint glow around his fingers. A rune of silence perhaps? Quite peculiar.

Albin noticed me noticing and grinned back at me. “A common precaution among our kind, it makes sure no one would eavesdrop on something sensitive.” He timed it right as my companion was making yet another rebuttal, leaving her flustered once more.

That wouldn’t do. He was playing her like a flute and I had no intention of spending the rest of the day with extremely frustrated and annoyed Anaise. Who knows what she might end up doing.

I gently touched her arm, making her glance in my direction. “May I speak on your behalf, my lady?”

She clearly didn’t want that either, understanding that it meant she gave in to his request to speak with me in the first place. But his status obliged a response, and to let me speak was the lesser of two evils in her mind.

She nodded at me, full of propriety. “Go ahead, then,” Anaise allowed, settling back into her litter.

I turned back and sighed. “So what do you want, Al?”

My blunt question was met with his loud laughter and the sputtering of my companion.

“Straight to the point. Good. I understand that Sophia had been eager in meeting you, so I wanted to…mediate I guess?”

I raised an eyebrow. “You wanted to apologize for her actions?”

He waved me off. “Nonsense! She is an adult girl and can make her own decisions.” I heard Anaise choke once again, this conversation was clearly keeping her unsettled. “Besides, could you begrudge her for being curious? A sickness that affects us all?”

I chuckled ruefully. While the upcoming meeting had an unpleasant taste inside my mouth, I couldn't refute his words either.

“I guess I shall make my decision when I meet her,” I concluded.

Albin laughed nervously, “Yeah I feared that as much. It is why I am here so to speak. A gesture of goodwill between our families.”

He fished out a sealed scroll and a large bundle from inside his dress with a flourish. Like a true magician. And passed them both to Anaise with a bow.

“Please give this message to your mother, personally, upon your return. And please accept this as my personal gift to you.”

“You have my thanks,” Anaise replied, woodenly grabbing the bundle, surprised by his show of reverence. “What is it?”

“It is a coil of the finest golden thread, a fitting gift for a Lady on the cusp of her Entrance feast.”

She smiled gratefully, although with a hint of something else, only to gasp as she pulled out the wire. I narrowed my eyes seeing it myself: it was thin but most importantly it was consistent. Unnaturally so.

“I wonder how was it made.” I couldn’t stop myself from wondering out loud.

Albin turned sharply back to me. “Oh? You are interested? I honestly did not expect you to. Unfortunately, I can’t disclose how it was made. Family business and all that, but I can get you a similar gift.”

Judging by the glare from Anaise I should be definitely interested and demand as much as possible, and maybe share with her afterwards. But I had other plans. Besides if I needed something like that I could spin my own gold thread.

“Can I get a roll of steel wire? And brass? With varied thickness. And, if possible, have some brass wrapped around some of the steel? Tightly?”

Fortunately for me, the uniqueness of the request made Anaise curious, instead of exploding in my face about the lost opportunity.

Albin scratched his chin, “I believe it is possible, yes. But that would be at a later time. Take this, for now, you might appreciate it.”

A tiny wooden orb landed in my hands, full of rune carvings. Yet another puzzle to dissect. I smiled at the gesture, while Anaise hissed in indignation.

“You came to see him, only to give him a child’s toy? Are you mocking us?”

“Absolutely not.” Came a surprisingly hard rebuke. “I could have easily gifted him something greater, but it would just as easily end up on your mother’s table tonight. I wished to give him something directly, that won't be questioned or challenged by others. For that, I have the scroll.”

“But-” She started, only to stop when I touched her arm once again. “Erf?”

“Don’t worry about it. A child’s toy or not, it is still a curiosity for me.” I smiled at her and turned around. “Your gift is welcome, Albin. Although I have a sinking suspicion that all this feels…too convenient once again.”

“What? You don’t believe my good intentions?” He asked in fake surprise only to smirk, seeing my disbelieving look. “What if I told you that you make a great story to observe in passing?”

“Do you know of corn?” I asked.

He blinked. “I believe I do. It is rare here, however. Why?”

“Take it and heat it in oil. If you intend to ‘observe’ I expect you to act like it. Including the consumption of popcorn. From a large bowl.”

“…from a large bowl.” He murmured along, already writing it on parchment.

I slapped my forehead as Anaise kept goggling at our antics. “No seriously, what are you trying to achieve here?”

“Do you know that I’ve already received seven enquiries about you after our meeting?” He mentioned casually, stuffing his writing in his red kaftan.

“You mean after you spilt the beans to Sophia? Or after she had made a ruckus shaking my Domina for more information.” I made a pointed remark.

“After of course.” Which he ignored completely. “It was bound to happen sooner than later. And believe me, it is better if it happened now before you build up too much of your enigma. Judging from your odd request you aren't simply interested in math alone. I wonder how many recent developments in the Kiymetl are connected to you. Hmm?”

Anaise looked like she was cut from stone, her expression schooled and rigid.

I simply waited for him to finish his damn point.

His eyes stopped smiling. Wide-open, they almost looked owlish. Predatory even, unnaturally blue. “Watch yourself, Erf. You are making waves without noticing, and there are forces out there that do not approve of their pond disrupted. There is a trick to this madness, however. First impression matters.”

“So what? You want me to do nothing? Hide in obscurity? Sit inside my cave until I am strong enough?”

“Quite the opposite. You want to be seen now, be a pest to them.”

I narrowed my eyes. “And what? To be smacked down like a pest then?”

His smile predatory. “Yes! Like a pest. Unless you desire to be eliminated as a threat at a later time?”

“I desire to be left alone instead,” I replied unhappily. I already had my hands full juggling Domina and her daughter. Unwilling to imagine what would happen once the fathers arrive. The last thing on my mind was to traverse the minefield of Manor politics.

His tail poked me in the chest, right where my Gestr was inside my tunic. “If that was your desire you should’ve stopped before sharing your ideas with Virnan. Perhaps even that Kiymetl Soap too. I sense your fingers all over it. But you have a chance now since you are aware of where you are. I have my confidence in you, just keep your splashes small. If you make a large impact you might end up changing someone opinion about you. And you don’t want to be promoted from a pest to a threat until you are ready. Do you?”

Anaise butted in, “Enough of your threats! Our Manor is perfectly capable of keeping him safe. Now. While your gifts are appreciated, the tone of your voice is less so. And we have other meetings to attend.”

“Since the lady insists.” He bowed to us, “I shall say my goodbyes to both of you. Safe travels and, if you need my help, my house is always open.”

We were left alone, once again. In the middle of a loud street. The birds were tweeting somewhere.

“I will talk to my mother about security, Erf.” Anaise slowly murmured.

“I hate to agree with his words, but that might be a good idea.” I nodded along, earning a grateful smile from her.

She fidgeted, slightly blushing. “If you want, I can give you some of my old toys as well. I am an adult, I have no use of these any longer.”

I smiled. “I would gratefully accept them then. But don’t rush in throwing these away, childhood is a wondrous time to simply put it away once we are old enough. Keep that child inside your heart. For it is the source of our curiosity and wonder.”

Anaise hummed at my words. “Right now we have places to be, however. Let us continue.”

“Let’s.”

Anaise Kiymetl Hilal

She was still reeling back from the disaster, that came from meeting the Speaker of Shebet. Anaise felt the feeling of camaraderie remembering her mother coming back from meetings with that Manor. The frustration on her face was curious back then, and now it spoke volumes.

She glanced at her companion as he spoke to the properly impressed merchant, asking him about some metal rod to be inserted or something equally obscure and probably important to him and no one else. Just as they discussed beforehand, Anaise made herself known and interested to the artisan, conveying the importance of the task. And now she could sit back and cringe at her previous actions, while Erf was busy discussing shapes and types of wood and glue.

To call Albin Chasya insufferable was an understatement. She could not refuse his discourse, his status made it impossible. She could not refuse his gifts, the seal on the scroll meant more than security. And now? Now she could not refuse his threats, no matter how much it galled at her to do so.

Deep inside her mind, she knew that his words were true. The Manors were in conjunction but there were ways around that. A subtle threat, a sudden death, an unfortunate absence. But it grated at her to admit that her Manor wasn’t all-powerful just as much. That a mere name, or in Erf’s case a seal on his neck wouldn't be enough to keep him safe.

But now she had to. All because of that stupid werdrake!

Bitterly she looked down at her chest. Her own Spark looked so dim compared to his. He probably had the brightest one she had ever seen. And the most prominent horns of all. Erf words about gifted children came to her mind. No wonder he acted like a spoilt brat! He probably got everything he wanted on a silver platter from the day that he was born. And skipped all lessons on etiquette too!

“Shall we head to the Pillar?” Erf’s concerned voice broke through her ruminations.

“Yes, take us away.” She nodded at the carriers. Mentally sighing. The day had just begun and she was already tired.

Even his gift was insufferable! She didn’t know what was written in the scroll and how much frustration it would cause her mother, but she could guess from her gift alone. That was the finest golden thread she had seen so far, bright and clear from any imperfections. Ideal for her dress for the upcoming feast, just as he said.

For the kaftan that was already made a few days ago!

“You don’t have to worry about his words that much. I mean I should be the most concerned party here, yet I am not.” He interrupted her thoughts again.

“Oh, and what makes you think I am still thinking about it?” She couldn’t stop herself from snapping at him.

He sighed. “Your frown.”

Anaise schooled her emotions, only to notice a gentle touch on her wrist.

“You are about to meet Virnan Shah.” Erf continued to speak quietly as his fingers did…something to her hand. Gentle caresses and pointed pressure making her entire body unwind and relax inside her litter. “Someone who will teach you in the future. Someone who actually matters right now.”

Anaise closed her eyes and stretched as the tension left her body. Enjoying the firm grasp of his fingers on her hand. His soft and quiet voice somehow mimicking the movements. Almost addicting. No wonder her mother valued his company.

“You might be right,” She allowed. “But I expect you to behave as well, we are heading to a Primary Manor and behaving like that brute won’t earn you any favours.”

XXX

Litter was left behind as Anaise walked into the Manor proper. Taking in the sights in front of her. Sensing the glow of Sparks all around her and, especially, above. Unbidden, she glanced upward. Somewhere out there was her grand-uncle. Perhaps even waiting for them.

Would he sense her Spark if he looked down?

She heard a shuffle behind her. Erf was pulling out the Gold medallion, her entrance to the Pillar. She sent her entourage to the slave quarters leaving them alone now. Places, where they were heading, were forbidden for most.

They walked together, silently. Their movements were proper and fully coordinated. Erf was to the side, prominent enough to make his chest visible to all onlookers. Her own sash full of scales, mimicking his medallion. A statement on their status.

She didn’t enjoy the fact that he was actually leading her, the Lady of the Kiymetl House, inside her own maternal household. But the gazes she received were… pleasant. Especially when they have done a double-take after noticing the golden shine on her attendant’s neck. Watching her seriously. Memorizing her face.

Giving her the reverence she ought to have here.

They walked through the staircases all the way to the top. Apparently, Erf didn’t know the location of the internal portal network. Somehow his words made an impression on his guide enough to give him a guided tour. Or so she assumed from his awkward description. Not that she minded of course. An extended trip allowed her to enjoy the intricacies of the Pillar in greater depth and attract more of the gazes in return.

Pleasantly appeased with the outcome, she started to explain certain parts and activities of the Pillar to Erf. At least the ones she was aware of. Further enhancing her image to all around.

And now they stood in front of his office. Anaise felt the Spark shining from within. It was almost as bright as… never mind. The brute wasn’t important now.

She took her time checking over her dress and hair, making sure it was as immaculate as possible. And only then she nodded to him.

Erf knocked politely of the door.

They waited.

The spark didn’t move.

“Did you inform him about our arrival?” She whispered to him.

“Eh? What for?” The oaf scratched his empty head.

Anaise suppressed her desire to strangle him. There was no time, she will do it later. “So that he would expect our visit.” She hissed quietly back at him.

“Let me knock again.”

She shivered at the loud bang. “Erf!” she whispered harshly “what are yo-”

“Go away! I told you already that I am busy!” A loud voice boomed from inside.

Perhaps she had some time to strangle him right now.

The soon-to-be-dead murk kicked the door. “That senile old fox! Open up!”

“ERF! NO!”

 

 


As always thank you for your time. Please feel free to rate and comment. Your input is the main reason why I decided to share this story with you all.

223