Chapter 44 The Talk
8.2k 84 242
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was rudely awoken by someone trying to manhandle my heart.

There was no real touching involved, so I didn’t notice any intruders. But the unnatural behaviour of my tissues and nanites rang alarm bells through my body. And everything was centred around my heart. Specifically, the spherical area around it compared to the rest of my body. Like two warring states, nanites of each side had pointed fingers at each other accusing the other side of severe malfunctions while reporting nothing but stable conditions on their own side.

Especially the reports of my heart temperature being recorded as above boiling were particularly concerning. While the other side accused my body of deciding to freeze right here and now. I felt none of these extremes, however.

Under the intense scrutiny and cross-referencing each side multiple times I had arrived at a startling conclusion.

My heart was moving too fast.

And I didn’t mean it was beating fast — that wouldn’t be such an issue for me to tackle. Worse, everything was moving too fast all the way down to the atomic level. Which is what actually triggered the extremely odd errors. The molecules of my cells were moving at an insane speed as if they were heated to a ludicrous temperature, yet they possessed none of that energy despite the obvious jump in kinetic part. And such odd behaviour would vanish once they were far away from my heart.

This was beyond odd. It was outright magical.

Unfortunately for my curiosity, magic was not an option I could easily dismiss anymore. So I couldn’t discard something outrageous as someone speeding up my heart tissues in time to boost the regeneration!

It sounded like instead of walking to your neighbour you decided to turn the planet under your feet and pull his house to you. Yet I knew that there were oddities between Time and Flow, which meant that this might actually be the answer. I was just ‘lucky’ that my heart was swarming with nanites, allowing me to detect once again the casual disregard for common sense.

So we had causality shenanigans and now we got Energy erasure. I could feel the Laws of Thermodynamics quietly sobbing in the corner. Granted there might be a reason for all of that, but for now, all I could do is to shrug and say “Flow.”

But this wasn’t the time to wonder about magical curiosities. I pushed my body back into the fully conscious state, slowly turning on the auxiliary systems that I had shut down.

I was attacked. Deep inside the Kiymetl Manor, in an area that was off-limits to most of the residents. Granted, anyone willing to kill would ignore the ‘don’t go there’ order, but the fact that they actually tried to was telling. Worst of all they didn’t just attack me, they hurt Irje.

And I had no idea if Yeva was safe.

I broke the surface of the sea of consciousness, but showed no indication I’d done so, and assessed the situation around me.

Only to feel a large metaphorical weight on my chest disappear. Yeva was nearby and safe but obviously very distressed. And so was Irje, who still looked battered but alive. With clean bandages around her shoulder — there was no bleeding anymore.

The literal weight on my chest still remained.

“You should have been here, and not him!” Anaise hissed at Irje. Her hands were planted on my chest, a flicker of blue running through her clothes. Large beads of sweat were rolling down her face, “Some guard you are.”

“She had managed to kill two Collectors,” Aikerim grumbled, casually swinging a two-handed sword at the remains near the wall. While dragging a corpse of yet another. Most likely the one that attacked my cougar outside. Compared to her normally dressed daughter, Domina was dressed to impress. An armour made from pale iridescent scales, reflecting every colour of the rainbow whenever she moved. And a fox mask, made from a similar material but emblazoned with red markings, sat on top of her head.

The wermage battle garb. I had no idea what it was made from but right now it wasn’t important.

“Irje had done enough to guard my life.” I interrupted their conversation, causing quite a stir among all four girls. I knew emotions were running high, but I could see Yeva hiding behind my other wife as two wermages dominated the leftovers of my lab. Irje looked defiant but also exhausted and slightly pale, barely weathering the onslaught from the Lady of the House.

Both of them rushed to my side, I felt Anaise fingers tense up but she pulled back, letting Yeva and Irje closer.

Aikerim sighed with relief, “It looks like you are more well than I expected you to be. Even with my and my daughter’s assistance. I wonder what alchemical concoction would cause a murk to heal that fast.”

“It was no potion, Mother,” Anaise sighed. There was a faint hint of something in her tone but I had no idea what was that about, “I’ve felt him through my healing. His flesh itself responded to my touch, even fought me. He is no murk.”

Domina turned her eyes on me, “Erf. Does my daughter speak the truth?”

Well, the cat was out of the bag but I didn’t find myself too anxious about it. It was bound to happen sooner or later. The challenge was actually how I could describe it so that they would understand rather than how much I should hide or reveal.

“My body is stronger, sturdier, and more flexible. But it is still the body of a murk in terms of Flow. I gain my strength from tools that infuse my flesh just as that murk used that dagger while lacking magical strength and claws of a wer. Or like you could make something sturdier by carving appropriate runes in it, or use a different, stronger material.”

Aikerim scowled at my deliberate mention of the assassin, “I will make whoever did this feel the wrath of my Manor! I will make them shed tears, blood, and gold for every drop of yours they have dared to spill.”

“Who are these Collectors?”

Did Emanai has some secret assassin order that I managed to offend somehow? Or did they hail from Yusuf, for example?

“Each arm of Emanai forces has a special hand unit attached to it,” Anaise butted into our conversation, “They are called Procurers. Their responsibility is the procurement of food and supplies for their arm. They are also assigned for ‘procurement’ of valuable news, agreements with local Dominas, and people. Both alive and dead. Once their military service is over, many of them quickly find similar work in the cities. Where they continue to Collect.”

She glanced at the body in the corner and I could feel her shiver, “There are special teams, or fingers of that hand. Handpicked murks: strong, cunning and quick with a blade. To serve as invisible killers with no spark to warn their quarry. They might be easier to kill but by that time their task is usually done.

“The ones that keep surviving earn a frightful reputation. Some even boast of these under their employ as inevitable as the passage of time itself. Yet, you met one and lived. Tell me, Erf, will these tools also make you live longer than a normal murk?”

That was a rather odd question to ask at this time.

“Yes,” I spoke plainly, still digesting the information about assassins. I felt no need to avoid direct questions anymore. And even less need to outright lie. “As long as my body doesn’t suffer too much damage that is, and has access to food and water to sustain itself.”

Surprisingly enough Anaise chose to glare at her frustrated mother instead.

“And why am I hearing about this just now?” Aikerim bristled at me.

“So that I could survive something like this,” I plainly rebuked her anger, “I might be a bit sturdier than others, but I am still a murk. If they came at me, expecting someone with the vitality of a wermage or even a wer, you would be looking at my cold remains in a pool of blood.”

I sighed and leaned down into Yeva’s lap, “My longevity is no threat to you, Aikerim. My current status aside, you have something that I simply don’t have, can’t have: political clout and influence over Emanai. Capital too, to grease palms and fund ventures. And I am not that stupid to burn that bridge. And I don’t forget favours either. Our long and continuous partnership will keep making Kiymetl rich beyond belief. But let us discuss this later, right now finding the mastermind behind this attack is crucial.

“They definitely entered my Manor with Samat workers,” Domina mused, finally distracted from the previous revelations, “Samat are likely to claim that they had no idea who they were, however. They hire many day-workers for simple tasks and proving they had hired them with intent would be a challenge. Especially since they are a Pillar Manor within their own city.”

“The wer tried to make me say where Yeva was,” Irje suddenly spoke.

“The Snake,” I spat, remembering the gouge in Irje’s shoulder and noticing her hands. Fingernails broken and ripped out. What happened outside was definitely ugly. My heart wrenched in pain as I tried to imagine how much did she had to suffer while I was wasting time with that other piece of garbage. And she kept Yeva safe too.

My face burned in shame. What a lousy husband I was. Every ‘invention’ of mine was making me more and more notorious, I should have known that Sophia wasn’t going to be the only one to try and hit me where it hurts the most.

And I should have prepared for it more.

My forehead itched but I ignored it as the nanites slowly started to aggregate at the recently healed wound. My previous preparations weren’t enough. I needed to be stronger, much stronger. This was a harsh, barely civilized world where personal might reigned supreme. And the time for obscurity had passed. Aikerim would shield me from many attacks, no doubt, but there will be always some who would still risk her wrath if the result was worth it.

Like the Esca family, whose profit I had endangered with my glass inventions.

“They weren’t trying to kill me specifically. They were trying to kill all that knew of glass manufacturing. And there is only one outsider who is likely to know enough.” I clarified my reasoning.

The sword went into the ground. The scales rustled quietly as Domina folded her hands on her chest.

“I will send the couriers immediately and drag her back. The envoy will learn of her failure, and then she will learn of her new fate.” Aikerim proclaimed.

I shook my head.

“You disagree?” She furrowed her brows, “We aren’t talking about a failed slave anymore, show some backbone!”

“It is not about that. They came for me and mine with an intent to kill. And she deserves to suffer consequences. Exactly to make sure that Esca won’t dare to repeat it again while warning others in the process.

“The collectors chose to interrogate Irje,” I kept speaking, while gently rubbing my cougar’s battered hands, “Yet no one came to assist when she defeated her opponent. Which meant that there were likely only two of them. Even if there were more, none know of me surviving yet. Even if someone took a look inside while Irje was gone.

“Which means that whoever actually ordered the attack: Esca, Samat, or even someone else, they don’t know if they failed or not. So let us make sure that they stay wrong thinking they succeeded.”

“You want me to willingly admit weakness? Why?” Domina asked.

“It would make sure that no one would try to finish the task, giving us some breathing room to get ready. And you don’t need to admit it plainly just make them assume they had succeeded, only to reveal the ruse later in public. Reclaiming your image, while tarnishing theirs as below you in cunning. But, most importantly, because misinformed enemies make mistakes.” I smiled, predatory, “And you should never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake.”

I could feel the mood lift up throughout the room. Even Anaise stopped quietly sulking, most likely due to my hands caressing Irje while Yeva gently used her fingers to comb my hair in her lap. Unfortunately, my sadaq took priority right now. Especially tortured Irje.

Now, this wasn’t a discussion about what had happened — we were planning to take the fight back to the enemy.

“My, how devious,” Aikerim smirked, “And what exactly are you planning to 'get ready’?”

“Food,” I blurted, feeling the itch spreading around my chest, “Lotsa food to heal and recover. Apart from that, Shahin appears to be extremely crafty and cunning too. Or she would never dare to come here all by herself. You need all advantages you can get so that you won’t let her slip away. In the meantime, I would spend my time writing down everything I know about their glass and the methods of its creation. Once my knowledge is no longer in our heads, trying to kill me again would be futile. And take the mirrors too, they are ready.”

She walked over to the covered objects in the corner and I couldn’t help but grin looking at her flabbergasted face. Her amber eyes open wide and a delicate hand touching the flat surface in childish wonder. Tail swaying back and forth.

Anaise huffed.

Aikerim’s unusual armour spurred me into the new avenue of advancement. Despite its looks, I didn’t think it was ceremonial — she didn’t come here for a parade. Yet it wasn’t steel either. While good steel was extremely expensive in Emanai, Aikerim could definitely afford to dress in it. Which meant whatever it was it was either comparable or even better.

And it was likely organic too.

I was nowhere close to producing my own alloys. I didn’t even have proper ores to obtain metals necessary for alloys, beyond the simple types of carbon steel. And even that would require proper furnaces to melt it fully and cast it. Bloomery steel took forever to make and was nowhere close in consistency.

Since Domina was now aware of my augmented self, I could grow my own version of armour too. I had no proper templates for an advanced combat body, but I knew quite a few exosuit designs. From simple ones, barely stronger than clothing, to extremely energy demanding ones, that would allow me to multiply my strength tenfold. Most were still out of my reach, but I could start with something simple and upgrade it as I gained more materials.

Even jury rig it to recharge from a waterwheel or something silly like that. Or carry a shoddy steam engine on my back for constant power production. Coal powered steam exosuits, talk about taking steampunk to another level.

But that would be for later. Right now I could get a basic layer, strong enough to stop a blade at least a couple of times.

Good enough to never repeat what happened today.

“I agree,” Aikerim answered, after a slight chuckle, slowly prying her eyes away from her reflection, “It is never a good idea to attack rashly. Very well — seclude yourself, write, eat, and recover. In the meantime, I have some snakes to hunt and sheep to herd. Daughter, come.”

Domina turned and left, carrying mirrors under her arm, and the sword under the other. I wasn’t sure which one was taller out of all three.

“Anaise,” I called out as she quietly got up and prepared to leave, “I felt your magic on me. Healing. And I saw how much effort it took from you. I thank you.”

She looked back at me, conflicting emotions on her face, but said nothing in return. A quick nod of acknowledgement and a large bushy tail disappeared behind the corner.

Yeva collapsed as soon as they were gone. Hugging me tight and frantically kissing me while mumbling apologies.

It took me a moment to understand why.

“They were likely following me, Yeva. And if you didn’t send me to the lab, they would have still attacked us. Just this time they would have probably got you as well.”

“And they wouldn’t even need to keep me alive,” Irje sighed. “I don’t think I would have survived if that wer was trying to kill me from the beginning.”

I cringed, “It is probably me who has to apologize to you girls.”

“You? What for?” Irje tilted her head.

I waved my hands around, trying to convey the nebulous idea in my head into words, “You know. All this was caused by me, yet I couldn’t even protect you at all.”

She smacked me, “Protect me? Have you forgotten who I am? Do you think I am some little boy that needs constant care and affection or he would cry? I would die of shame if I had to hide behind your back. It is I who should protect you all! And I did, didn’t I?”

“And it is them who chose to attack us. You can’t blame yourself for knowing so much.” Yeva murmured.

I chuckled, “You did great Irje. How did you get the upper hand? From the way that you spoke, the other opponent was quite skilful and strong.”

She grinned, “Magic!”

“Oh?” I got up a bit, interested, “Did you manage to cast an actual spell? Tell me.”

“Well,” She fidgeted, “Not quite.”

I looked at her. Then looked some more at the slight pink of her pale cheeks.

Then I smacked my head.

“You used the toy again?”

“The dildo.” She sheepishly nodded.

I opened my mouth and then closed it. It took me a few attempts for the words to come out.

“That is quite a literal approach to ‘fuck her up’.”

Yeva snickered.

“Shadap!”

XXX

The day ended quietly and a new one began. We secluded ourselves in our house, content with licking our wounds and recovering. Apparently, Aikerim applied some healing magic to Irje herself, but she was still recuperating. The scar would likely stay yet she wasn’t concerned about it. The magical healing was good enough not only to keep her alive but it made sure she would not lose any mobility either.

It wasn’t a blemish to Irje’s eyes. It was a mark of pride.

In the meantime, I ate and ate, as the scab around my heart swelled and started to grow outward. To prevent any concerns I explained to them the slow and steady growth of the second skin. The inner layer of the living exosuit. Tight and thin, it was a necessity if one needed to perform mechanical repairs in space. Preventing any accidental punctures.

Then their concerns turned to the fact that it restricted their access to my skin.

I told them it was removable.

Concerns vanished.

Stuff was probably happening both within the manor and in the city proper, but I chose to ignore it for now. Technically I was ‘dead’ so curious snooping around would be detrimental. And Sulla had all plans for our estate anyway. As for everything else, I had trust in Aikerim. She was smart and Shahin had almost destroyed her most precious asset if I can say so myself.

One thing I could put my trust upon was the righteous wrath of a merchant nearly swindled.

My laboratory was wrecked beyond repair. The fact that it was more of a tunnel rather than a building already made it ill-suited for careful experiments. And the liberal mix of anything with everything after that roar made the entire place rather dangerous to be in.

It had served me well, but I needed to upgrade for quite a long time now. I needed a clean and well-ventilated chemistry lab rather than the musky and damp alchemical room. With running water, proper drainage, and waste removal. And separate waste storage for nastier stuff. No point in killing all fish in the Shara river and the nearby South sea. Dilution is not a solution to pollution.

So no chemistry for now until the estate was done and all this blew over.

Just me, parchment, girls, and guitar.

And lotsa food.

A well-deserved break for all of us. Especially since neither of us slept well this night. The nightmares plagued us equally.

Viter stood guard for most of the day, while Irje would bring loaded plates while lazying about for the rest of the time. In the meantime Yeva and I would trade places playing music, She would train while I would take over whenever I wasn’t writing.

Just like now.

I was playing a gentle melody while thinking out loud, “I wonder what Yusuf climate looks like, in order for them to discover glass before anyone else?”

“Climate?” Yeva scrunched her brow in thought.

“You know weather and temperature and how does it look like.”

“It is hot and arid. Sands everywhere.” A new voice interrupted the idyll.

I turned around to find Aikerim standing in the doorway. Her thick brows furrowed in a frown, “I don’t like how I am left without warning yet again.”

I scratched my head, “The guitar? Wasn’t Sulla aware of my purchase and Anaise was there when I asked Albin for strings? Desert, huh?”

I wondered if they got their flux from dried out lake beds. Could be quite likely. And easy to discover too. Sands with a natron deposit could probably produce lumps of glass from a mere bonfire of a travelling caravan.

“No. Your playing is just as surprising as your instrument is odd, but that is expected of you. What I found myself ill-prepared for is that Albin you just mentioned is suddenly very interested to visit my Manor. And talk about you and to you. I do not like these types of surprises, Erf.”

Ah, did he manage to come up with something, then?

Or, perhaps, he was the one that tried to kill me. Shebet was always too informed to my liking, somehow. But it mattered little.

My family was at stake.

242