Chapter 18: Financial Concerns
610 4 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Much can be attributed as the reason for Vermilion's success in the new world. One of those reasons is the Magical Highways, which brought Unprecedented power and wealth to the Kingdom.”

On the Kingdom of Vermilion Vol 2

 

William sat naked on a cold stone floor of the basement of Uumaries church, the conversion of the temple’s grounds to Velkarius was ready in all but paper. 

And that took some time.

Not even a stray glance from the priest, Velkarius truly keeps her people in line huh?”

“It’s Chloe”

“Oh”

William couldn’t help but chuckle, it appears that Lucrezia being a bit of a dense person when it came to these kinds of things was something that was part of her own character.

Interesting William thought.

“Lady Lucrezia, are you sure you want to proceed?” Karl looked spooked and rightfully so. While Velkarius and Saal’Xhir were in the same camp when it came to God Factions, they weren’t exactly best friends.

“Yes Karl I’m sure, If we could get on with it please,” William said for the fourth time. The priest was getting nervous by the second but William was sure Saa’Xhir wouldn’t get mad, after all, he did strike a major blow against Uumaries.

“Very few know about this ritual you know, to stun a Blessing is no small feat, I must warn you Lady Lucrezia, it will only last until your birthday.”

William took a deep breath and said.

“I know”

Karl nodded and began chanting words William couldn’t understand, Lucrezia spoke to his mind saying those were the language Velkarius created when she ascended to godhood.

The pain burned the lower part of his body. A sea of fire that engulfed everything below his waistline, William screamed and twisted his naked body on the cold stones in pure agony, seeing white multiple times.

Lucrezia whispered in his mind, talking sweet nothings in an attempt to take him off the pain. It didn’t work as well as they hoped and William kept flopping like a fish.

He then saw flashes of a grand cathedral, pure bliss enveloping him as the pain ravaged his body and soul. This mixture was something so strong William was sure he was knocked unconscious because he couldn’t remember the last 10 minutes when he woke up.

Karl spoke faster and faster. It was like the man was singing, the runes inscribed on the stone flared in dark arcane light. The symbol of the crow showing in William’s mind.

With a scream the symbol burned itself near William’s crotch, he felt pain and kneeled again only to feel someone place a piece of cloth in his back, he tried turning around but was too weak and collapsed right there.

Karl wiped the sweat from his face and with a smile turned to Chloe who was watching from a raised platform “By the Crow it actually worked!” the other cleric came down and picked Lucrezia up.

“Let’s go, the Lady has an important meeting today and we can’t have her knocked out like this,” Chloe said, putting the young woman on a bench to cover her naked body.

“Karl, will this...will this ritual work?” Chloe asked as they moved towards the resting room in the church.

“Only until the blessings come, and even when considering the level of the curse Uumaries cast? Lady Lucrezia is off to a rough life if she doesn’t talk with Saal’Xhir’s people”

“What a disgrace, To have a daughter of the north tainted with the Whore’s Kiss…” Chloe spat to the side.

“Uumaries might let you back if you keep up that talk Chloe dear, heh, Saal’Xhir isn't that bad you know…”

“We are not having this conversation again Karl, ugh I know I gotta stop with this but it is just-”

“Hard to let go of old habits?” Karl asked with a laugh, they had arrived at Chloe's room and laid William to rest.

“I’ll go fetch the Treasurer, you keep watching her for any side effects,” Karl asked as he opened the door.

“What side effects?”

“Talking while asleep and jumping mostly,” he said from the corridor, Chloe waved him off and watched as the young Duchess of her lands slept.

A small raven came via the open window, the bird left a small white twig by the bed and chirped at Chloe. The priestess offered her hand to the bird for no reason and the thing bit her hard.

As she watched the bird’s beak break her skin and drink her blood she felt the last remains of Uumaries powers flow out of her. Not into the bird but into the skies.

Chloe sighed, that was it wasn’t it? To live as a heretic who broke her vows even if her Goddess was the one in the wrong was a terrible fate. At least she had Karl, even if the man was a bit of an airhead.

The crow cawed to get her attention, in its beak there was a medallion made from the blood he had taken, a little spear in the middle of it.

Chloe gasped! All-Father above would Velkarius give her time of the day to someone who was High Priestess of one of her rivals? Then again Chloe knew the elven Goddess valued action not words.

And she had fought for Lucrezia when the call came, feeding the people when Uumaries turned a blind eye.

She took the medallion and crushed it, the blood turning into mist as the crow caw in happiness.

The church and its priestess now belonged to Velkarius after all.


William was in a fetal position near the soul monolith, the pain was still sending waves across his whole body now. It wasn’t as horrible as in the waking world but the echoes of it were demoralizing to him.

Lucrezia had at first tried to help him but she saw that it wouldn't work, then she tried talking to take his mind off the pain a little. It worked for a time until the pain got stronger again.

Now she was hugging William as both laid in the grass. William had to admit it felt good, but also super embarrassing. He knew she also felt the same thanks to her constant shyness bleeding out of her soul.

The two stood there for hours until William finally managed to talk without feeling like he was going to split into two.

“Sorry, for making you embarrass yourself like this,” he said almost in a whisper, only to hear Lucrezia giggle

“Silly Terran, the stuff I saw in your memories pales to this”

William cringed as he felt the woman get up, she dusted herself more out of habit than actual cleanliness since the soul space was immaculate and extended her hand.

“You ok now?” Lucrezia asked with a smile on her face, William took her hand and said “Thank you” meekly, his face going red.

God, she was pretty.

“There’s no need to beat yourself for thinking such thoughts Terran, the curse even blunted still holds us in its grip,” she said pointing at the monolith, where a symbol akin to a snake twisted and turned on top of another symbol William couldn’t make out.

“A few months before your Birthday and this will come back twice as strong as a Greater Blessing,” William said, mesmerized by the ritual’s influence on their souls.

“And the overdue meeting with whoever sent you here, plus the Goddess of whoring” Lucrezia said, sarcasm dripping from her words

“And love as well” William felt the need to defend Saal’Xhir. he always felt the game was a little too much on the persecution of the Goddess in his opinion.

“Don’t give me that spiel Terran, I know it already both from you and from before I got sent here”

They both stared at each other in silence, then Lucrezia sighed heavily.

“What do you know about Uumaries’s powers?” William asked on a whim. He noticed Lucrezia’s emotions went to puzzlement and surprise but she answered his query nonetheless.

“She’s the Patron Goddess of Nobility, Marriage, and Family? Why are you asking something the game told you already, William?”

William did his best thinking man pose but his emotions betrayed the serious facade

“Let me ask you this then, What did the game tell you about how a God’s Sphere works?”

William recalled the bits of lore and spoke “It’s basically their way to manifest power, it englobes several aspects both minor and major from which they hold absolute control unless they either give said aspect or it gets stolen from them”

Lucrezia then had a realization on the reason William asked the first question “Aha! So that’s why you asked about Uumaries then, you mean to imply she can usurp Spheres from other Gods? Without killing them?”

William nodded and said, moving his hands.

“Yes! That's why followers of Saal’Xhir call her a usurper! From the quest that deals with Uumaries in the game we learn that she was born in a forgotten Imperium city. deep in the dungeon that permeates the entire Imperium, she found a dying Fallen God who could usurp Spheres”

Lucrezia gasped and cursed.

“Fucking Imperial bullshit, every time something bad happens they have a hand in the pot!”

They were the oldest known estate after all. Maybe the sea elves that had enslaved the orcs once before could claim the title but they were destroyed by the 5 houses when they came to these lands. 

William thought but didn’t respond, Lucrezia was just venting after all.

“I still can’t believe Uumaries was this...this evil! she may be the patron of nobility but I’ve personally seen her work to save families across the Duchy and beyond!” Lucrezia punched the soft ground underneath her

“It was thanks to her that the great slums of the capital were reformed into the Warden’s Shield, you know? Not a single person there suffers from lack of food and running water, everyone sleeping on proper beds with a roof over their heads.”

“The Divine Game makes them do things we mortals can barely comprehend. maybe these good deeds were so she could work in the dark with her Pillars without being made Fallen” William said watching as the sun went down in the soul space, a day and night cycle huh? that was new.

“Not so new no, then again you haven’t come down here when it first started,” Lucrezia said

“Sorry for that, I’ve been b-”

“Busy I know, the Duchy won’t run by itself just yet, but this is a topic for another time.” She said William felt eagerness oozing off Lucrezia.

“Those rumors, aren't they? Uumaries is trying to rally the nobles to her side faster so her Union with Morugarius won’t be contested by the other gods from the Kingdom, All-father above what a mess.”

They were both near the Monolith watching as twilight took over the realm. William saw the skies turn in a beautiful shade of orange and blue and a nostalgia so strong hit him he was speechless for seconds.

“That was...Strong, are you ok William?” Lucrezia asked worriedly.

“I’m fine” He closed his eyes “The rumors are true indeed, she plans to join Morugarius in divine marriage, if it is for love or just power the game never made that clear.” William touched the monolith “Uumaries wasn’t the evil mastermind behind the game’s events and the fall of the Duchy, but she was involved”

Lucrezia sighed and said “So we will have to talk with the Goddess one way or another then, which will be hard since you basically dropped the excuse for a holy war in the woman’s lap”

William shook his head “There won’t be one, the Queen won’t allow it neither will the powers that be in the Kingdom, at worst you will see surgical strikes against her and vice versa for Velkarius. There might be a way to make her talk”

“You have so much knowledge and yet we are still in the dark when it comes to who's or what is trying to destroy the Kingdom huh…” Lucrezia was frustrated.

He didn’t even need to check on her emotions to notice.

“Do you have more questions? stuff that the merge hasn’t ported over to you maybe?” William extended an olive branch to Lucrezia, hoping it would soothe her nerves. 

“Let’s find a place to sit first, I tire of standing around,” she said and walked off to a part of the soul space William had yet to explore.

They went into another of the apartment blocks, this time going up a set of stairs in silence. For someone who had just said she was tired, Lucrezia was quick to move.

As night fell they arrived on the rooftop, a small table with lamplights and chairs waiting for them. Lucrezia made herself comfortable and spoke again.

“Found this place a few days ago. Or what I think it's days, even with the sun and night It's hard to keep track of time, gorgeous view though. Reminds me of when I went to the beaches down south” 

It was William’s time to feel a sense of nostalgia that was alien yet so familiar, he remembered running along the azure beaches with two other girls, giggling and joking while throwing water at each other.

It was a good memory, well cherished by Lucrezia.

William sat down by her side and waited for the young lady to compose herself.

“What’s the real reason behind Uumaries being able to grant a Blessing of another Goddess as a curse?” 

Ah, William thought, the million-dollar, or in this case gold coin question.

How indeed, he thought. Lore in-game and now reality told him as much. A god cannot grant another blessing that is not his own bar the All-Father himself for he has control of the mana core in the center of the universe.

“Uumaries clearly isn’t the All-Father in disguise or something of the sort, So how William, how did that Detestable Goddess cursed us so?!” she slammed her hand on the table shaking the dishes and cutlery.

“It’s a really underwhelming response, Lucrezia.” William took a pause “As I’ve said before Uumaries main power is Usurpation, and she wants the Sphere of Love for herself to cap off the Familiar and Marriage Spheres.” 

Lucrezia didn’t speak so William continued

“Those three were once a Single Sphere held by a now-dead god from the Imperium, how and why they were separated It wasn’t said in the game. But if she gets Love she will be as strong as a First Generation God”

The young woman’s eyes bulged, shock and awe clear from both her emotions and face.

A common reaction, As First Generation Gods were on a whole other level when it came to the power of their Spheres. Very few who weren’t birthed by The All-Father and All-Mother were holders of such power.

Second-generation Gods were always fighting and plotting against each other in the Divine Game to reach such a lofty position.

Alas, William knew from the game that it was almost impossible, maybe by design by chance. But if there was one God that could, it was Uumaries.

“No wonder she is doing all of this then, All-Father above what madness have we gotten ourselves in William?”

He smiled, that line was said in the game by one of his favorite characters, the Arch-Duke’s daughter.

“We do what we always do Lucrezia”

“Hit them where it hurts the most”


Catarina Silverbrand, Heir of the Silverbrand clan which was sub clan for one of the 5 the Maygriam had just finished selling the last shipment of the new commodity from the north.

To think she would be blessed with the biggest hit in the market ever since those perfumes those pesky dwarves had made from Steinheim! Luck was ever on her said as her grandpa used to say.

“Will you be ok up there in the north mom?” Catarina turned to her son, Richard had just received his Blessing the other day, the young man was shy for a Silverbrand she thought.

He got the Merchant Goddess Tivir Greater Blessing though, an honor few had in the Silverbrand Line, her mouth salivating at the thought of the marriage proposals he would get once sent to the Academy next year.

“Stop looking at my son like he’s bacon from Kehheim Catarina '' the stern-looking bronze-skinned man spoke from across the table they were on.

“Dear I promised you I wouldn’t raise a finger when it comes to Richard’s love life, there’s no need to be afraid,” she smirked and winked at Stevan.

She loved her husband, but the man was downright scary when it came to Richard. He knew the horrors of marrying into a noble family and didn’t want his son to go through it.

More than once she caught him telling him to enjoy life with the simpler things, tsk tsk Catarina thought.

Richard is destined for greatness! 

“So the buzz around the house and stores, is it about that new hair item the nobles are having outright duels about? or the drink made from that ghoulish seed from the north?” Stevan asked while eating.

“Don’t forget that dark bar that’s sweet as honey and sugar dad! I’ve seen every friend of mine with one and even people I barely know have asked for it” Richard looked impressed. Ah, it felt good to see her little boy grow into a fine young man.

“Give me their names son and I’ll see what I can do” he slipped a piece of paper towards her and she grinned “Yes indeed, the Matriarch has deemed me the one to head north via the Highway and break a deal with the-”

“Kinslayer Duchess” Stevan finished “rumors are that her parents were dealing with the unspeakable evils beyond the stars and that the main city was left to rot, they even blew the deep seaport”

Catarina nodded, she had reports from a few of the otter beast folk sailors who lost their ships in the attack, the otters in question took refuge with the Magi-Folk from the Diamond Reefs.

Gods knew who else had gotten screwed over by the madness in the north.

“Won’t the Church of Uumaries complain about you breaking deals with her mom?” Richard asked 

“They can cry all they want, Without us and the main clan they won’t have a painter for their Goddess’s new churches. Worry not son they won’t bother old me”

Stevan cleared his throat, a sign he had news to share.

The man got up and cleared the table, both Catarina and Richard were already done with their food, he placed a series of marbles on the table.

“Memory Marbles, I had to grease a few palms to get these as the First Prince faction is REALLY after anything when it comes to information on the north” the man sent a pulse of mana into them and the three sat down.

They watched as a great battle was waged in the city, and how Uumaries had cursed the young Lucrezia, Richard gasping in realization.

“Tivir, protect me that madwoman will be in my room next year! Mom, you have to do something!”

Catarina on the other hand was focused in a paused frame from a battle that took place right in the Castle Plaza, the men Lucrezia commanded had new weapons.

Weapons strong enough to pierce plates and even low-tier Ki enhanced ones.

“Does the first prince know about these stones dear?” Catarina asked

“No, the man I got these from took a teleport straight to the Imperium Capital. Best godsdamned diviner I knew now gone” he tsked as Richard stared slack jaw at the scene frozen in the Marble.

“No one must know about these weapons, you hear me? If we can get the Wulfgrem to sell even one we are talking riches not even the Matriarch can imagine” Stevan and Richard nodded. 

Catarina took a look at her son “I’m afraid I can’t help you Richard dear, the classroom is set by the dean and his staff, and not even the King can say otherwise” she smiled and grabbed her jacket,

“Time to meet the young lady of the hour then, Stay safe my dears” Catarina got out of her home and hailed her carriage, in less than 10 minutes she was by the way station that led to the North’s Highway.

“That’s an awful lot of guards,” her driver said “Oi! Jenkins! what's up with the guard detail today!?” he screamed at the guard manning the gate who cursed and said “Yaa Tony ya sorry bastard! some madwoman tried charging into the gate screaming about divine punishment, the night detail had to put enough bolts on her she was looking like a bloody pin cushion!” he got closer to the car “Lady Silverbrand the Matriarch’s men left this package for your hands only” he hailed the gatekeepers who raised the gates for the carriage to go into the Highway

“Here take this Jenkins, ya wife would gut me if I let you go to those northern wastes without a good coat” the man threw a package for the driver who cheered him and opened the thing, a huge coat neatly folded inside, he had the thing on faster than Catarina could blink and soon both were already going fast.

“Lady we aren’t actually going to the wastes are we?” the driver asked

“No Tony, we are going to Glacialis”

“Thank the Gods, I much prefer that city with its pretentious name than the bloody wastes” Catarina smirked, ahh the workers of Maygriam were the creme de la creme, weren’t they?

She opened the box she was given, inside a simple bracelet made out of silver and a note “If everything else fails, break it” To the point as always that old fart of a woman.

“A long-range teleport, I thank thee o wise Matriarch” Catarina relaxed as she watched from her window the capital city of the kingdom; Aaar Yrthaar disappeared in a blur in the horizon.

These Highways were the best, even after years working with them she never lost that sense of wonder as magic turned travel of weeks into hours. Catarina opened a cabinet and took a vial that had a deep blue liquid on it.

Using sleep potions to travel was bad for her health she knew but the habit was a funny thing, for every reason she told herself to kick it, three would appear in her head to tell her otherwise.

“Beats being addicted to drugs or booze I guess” a half-smirk as sleep took hold of her, she placed the bracelet on her left arm and dozed off, the sound of horses and the hum of the magic in the highway lulling her off as they did so many times.


“You want us to work on this? Master Gabriel, I don’t think the young Duchess knows what she’s asking.” one of the many druids spoke after Gabriel told them the plans for the “renovations” of the city.

The ancient druid spoke again “The Spirits do not take kindly to this huge infrastructural change, there’s a reason that fort the dwarves found was empty”

“The Spirits spoke to me” Gabriel took a pause and everyone went quiet “All three of them gave me the same order; to assist Lady Lucrezia in this endeavor and save the people of the city from the Winter’s End.”

Freya got up with a huge grin on her face and said “The Spirits spoke and we listened, the Wulfgrem asked for aid one more time and we delivered it” many nodded their heads. 

After the events in the prison, Freya and Gunn had become heroes for the new druids they had saved from that ghastly place, plus the city folk who came to the village, even humans!

Gabriel waited for more to raise their doubts but everyone was dead quiet, any doubts they had cleared away.

They had a job to do now, one that wouldn’t involve killing but the safekeeping of life.

“Let’s get to work,” the Arch-Druid said


Saa’ryu was in a dark corner of the castle, very few knew about this place Leanu included, with her there was an elven woman of pale complexion, two dwarves from the city, and Magi-Kin of the Arachne tribe, his lower body hidden away via the innate polymorph magic they had.

“You all know why I chose you for this little gathering we are having, and what I say in this room won’t be spoken outside of it.” they nodded

“You have no name now, no past, no family and no friends, Today I will grant you a boon few can claim they have, you will become Lady Lucrezia’s eyes and ears, and if need be blades and daggers, through you she will command where Knights and Soldiers can’t go, and where Diplomacy and Bargaining are naught but empty talk”

Saa’ryu paused and let her speech set in, everyone in the room nodded as they looked at each other, they knew what they were getting themselves into it. 

“You are now her Ravens, and after I’m done training you lot we will safeguard Her Highness from the shadows” Saa’ryu opened another door and said

“Come, your new life awaits”


Catarina’s carriage had just arrived in the way station in Wulfgrem’s land, the cold sweeping in via the open windows which she was quick to close.

As she was closing the last one she saw a huge cloud white as sin and with streaks of lightning flashing on the horizon.

“Winter’s End huh”

Stern faced Knights with huge Dire horses halted her vehicle, Tony gave them the documents proving they were envoys and whoever was in charge let them through.

“Dwarves...and druid elves?” Catarina said as she looked towards the left side window where a mass of people was working on some sort of tunnel.

She saw a few dwarves dressed in some sort of glowing armor, a gear with crystals painted on their shields!

“So that runt God actually managed to get some followers, maybe Magi-Tech will flourish up in this infernal cold huh?” she spoke to herself as the carriage rode to the city, she noticed that the road was smooth, way too smooth.

Five taps to the side, a small coded message to her driver

two taps on the first window.

“Huh, not stone or concrete? what sort of magic was used here to make it so smooth then?”

Another thing to ask the young woman.

Catarina’s long red hair flew with grace afforded thanks to that miraculous shampoo Lucrezia had made. She walked the streets of the Glacialis alone, taking in the atmosphere of its people.

There was hope in the air, but also tiredness and bitter emotions. The people of the Duchy of Wulfgrem were getting ready for something big, something that would wet these grounds she walked with blood.

she saw all races, men, and women, old and young working as one singular unit to shore up their town. And her own folk the merchants giving discounts, selling food and drink to keep the machine flowing smoothly.

As she arrived in the Castle’s Plaza she was greeted by a ghoulish sight, the heads of the old duke and duchess impaled on the walls that guarded the checkpoint into the castle grounds.

She also saw the new weapons. thin-looking sticks with holes drilled in the end, men walking with them as if they were short spears, Catarina was never one versed in the Military arts, her mother tried to get her to train for Knighthood but it wasn’t her calling.

She reached the checkpoint and gave the stern-looking Orc guarding it her papers, he checked them twice even using a strange Magi-Tech device on it before she was cleared for entrance.

A maid soon came to take her into the waiting room, the young elven lady looked tired but was brimming with energy and eagerness.

Someone to get some information out of it Catarina thought to herself.

“Lady Silverbrand I’ve prepared for you a new dish that Lady Lucrezia herself made, please enjoy it,” the maid said as she placed a flatbread filled with cheese and tomato sauce on the table.

Curious, Catarina hadn’t heard about no new dish bar the chocolate but that was more of a dessert than an actual dish, she gingerly picked a slice of the thing.

It was hot. Catarina ate with her hand, nothing focused prestidigitation couldn’t clean up later.

Her mind was in bliss after the first bite, the woman moaned in joy as she ate slice after slice, the maid had a goofy smile on her face as if to say “Well ain’t it?” and Catarina couldn’t deny it.

A cup of Mead was given to her and she drank it, Bloody hells Catarina thought, this is some really good catering! not even the royals would pamper her up this much.

“What’s your name dear?” Catarina asked 

“Malv my Lady, I was hired shortly after the battle, my brother works in the garden and we took shelter in the castle”

“How’s life under the new Duchess?” a smile to trick the young elf 

“She is fair, Lady Lucrezia drives us a bit hard when it comes to the soup kitchens for the people working in the city but it's honest work,” Malv said looking out the window.

Confidence, hope, and faith huh. All the makings of a good leader, if she can survive the upcoming trials.

Something Catarina could aid her, for the right prince of course.

An older maid came to the room and sent Malv away, she then said “Lady Lucrezia waits for you in the main hall, Follow me please” Catarina nodded and they walked towards the hall.

She saw many workers and guards moving around, as she walked into a courtyard she also saw something strange.

The guards were training the workers.

Slashes, stabs, proper form for holding weapons, even a shield wall. These people were being drilled like they were ready for a war. She didn’t ask anything as the older maid kept walking.

They walked into the main hall where the older maid announced Catarina, and she finally got a look into Lucrezia.

The young Duchess sat upon the Icy throne with azure eyes that pierced Catarina, she felt a depth to them unlike the ones in the Matriarch, her blonde hair was tied in a neat ponytail but Catarina could see the effects of the shampoo on it.

She also noticed that beneath the beauty and fancy clothing, Lucrezia had a tense aura to her person, as if she was ready for a fight to break out at any second. 

She also showed signs of bad sleep and mental trauma, Catarina’s Blessing pinging her on these hidden details as she noticed the little shakes of hand and legs, bags under the eyes not that well hidden by makeup, and several details that told her Lucrezia was barely keeping together.

Being in charge wasn’t easy, Catarina thought sympathizing with the young woman.

“Lady Catarina Silverbrand, it is an honor to welcome you to my Duchy, that the Matriarch Liliac would send someone as esteemed as you pleases me greatly”

Stress and weariness tainted the husky melodic voice of Lucrezia, Catarina smiled and said “It is my honor, your lordship, the products your people sent my way are nothing short of amazing, there rumors even the orcs are after them”

Lucrezia smiled.

“I have a feeling the coffee will be appreciated the most among our friends in the southeast. So Catarina... tell me, what do you think of the products I sent to you?”

An odd question Catarina thought “Honestly Lady Lucrezia it is a riot down south, We have heard of nobles dueling for crates of Shampoo and Chocolate.”

Lucrezia nodded and said

“I assumed as much, good, good”

Silence fell the hall, Catarina’s blessing working overtime when she got what could only be described as a divine kick in the guts.

Gods above!

“Lady Lucrezia, if we can guarantee exclusive rights for distribution and marketing of your goods, all the grain in the Maygriam warehouses are ours!”

“Blessings really are something, aren’t they? 80 percent” Lucrezia said

80 PERCENT! Catarina felt Tivir herself get angry at this proposal, Highway robbery by these dirty nobles! 

“Royalties for name are also mine as well, the documents just came in” Lucrezia added.

Catarina was lucky she didn’t have a Greater Blessing like her son, otherwise, Tivir might’ve had descended here herself to straight this lordling out, But a Silverbrand wasn’t sent to get mad at greedy nobles, no they were sent to break deals.

“60 percent, royalties included but we get exclusive shipping and storage rights”

“make that 55” Lucrezia smiled. “I need grain Catarina, enough grain to feed these people for up to 3 months, do you understand that?”

Catarina saw the size of the city, Tivir protects her, how could she get this much grain to tens of thousands of people?! food deals were done with the main clan representatives!

“I understand that the Matriarch only allows those of Maygriam blood break deals when it comes to food but I’m willing to take full responsibility of this should she send anyone to speak with you, we do this all over the table”

Catarina saw a chance and spoke “If you throw those new weapons of yours in the de-”

“No”

That was fast

“The recipe for the Pizza you ate before you came, but not the guns, those cannot leave the Duchy before…”

Catarina didn’t finish that sentence, It didn’t take a genius to connect the dots after that one comment Staven made

“The first Prince?” Catarina asked

Lucrezia sighed, looking like she had aged 10 years in doing so, she didn’t respond. Just nodding and waving her hand.

Catarina nodded and did the math in her head, even with 55 percent it would be an absurd amount of coin flowing straight to her accounts, and that pizza dish!

That alone could change the balance of power in the clan she felt if she played her cards right that is.

“We have a deal then?” Lucrezia finally spoke to which Catarina nodded and said “We have a deal Lady Lucrezia” as she finished another maid showed up with the paperwork, Catarina’s blessing made short work of it and it was all above the table as Lucrezia had said, not a single poorly worded clause or anything.

Maybe Lucrezia was part of the rare group of honest nobles? Catarina couldn’t say but this first contract of hers was looking good.

“The storm will blanket the entire Duchy, you must’ve seen the workers in the way station by the entrance of the Highway, yes? They will build a tunnel that will let your people make the supply run.” Lucrezia said pointing to a map the maid had also brought “Tell the Matriarch to lend you the heavy-duty carriages, the storm is magical as well so you will need mage or cleric support to keep the horses alive.”

That was going to cut Catarina’s profits, but the sacrifice was needed every once in a while for those in the trade.

“The patents for the names are already in place as I said so don’t forget to account for the profits, we don’t need those pesky revenue gods knocking on our doors eh?” Lucrezia said in jest only for Catarina to look puzzled.

How in all hells did a noble know this lame joke only merchants cared to tell? What a weird woman.

Deciding to not spoil such a deal with this particular anecdote Catarina did what any merchant was trained to do when a client says a bad joke, smiles, and nods.

“When will these grains be delivered?” Lucrezia asked with a bit of urgency in her voice.

“I need more crates of your goods before we can talk about the grain Lady Lucrezia, how much do you have right now?”

Lucrezia pulled a small piece of paper from a pocket and read it “40 boxes of shampoo, 30 for chocolate and coffee”

Catarina allowed herself a single sigh of relief, that was more than enough to supply her stores and the nobles.

“As soon as I have word with the Matriarch your grain will be delivered in time, enough to feed this entire Duchy and more, you have my word on that Duchess Lucrezia.”

Lucrezia sat down and offered a silent prayer to whatever deity was hearing, thanking them for the deal. She then called the maids and Catarina saw more pizzas in their hands.

A feast was coming.


Saa was currently watching as William took another bath, he felt like pure shit ever since waking up from the ritual. Like he was a few days into the flu.

“I feel you were too generous with that deal Lu, you should’ve pushed for more” Saa’ryu said while brushing her hair.

“They will figure out how to reverse engineer everything in a few months anyway, I don’t need the coin Saa, just the grain,” William said while dropping his whole body in the warm waters.

“You plan on making that coin back, how? Magi-Tech?”Saa’ryu asked.

“After we deal with the First Prince, yes the guns plus ore from the Mine beneath the castle will fuel our need for coins in the long term. And I won’t have to worry about royals sending more Punitive forces after me” William could feel his muscles relax as he spoke

“How do you plan on avoiding the wrath of the Queen, Lu? you do know that Galius is her favorite son, yes?”Saa’ryu drank a cup of coffee, the woman was hooked on the thing now William found out.

“I have a plan for it, I just need-”

“You always have a plan, don’t you? All-Mother herself could throw her dragons at us and you would probably say the same thing” Saa’ryu spoke with irony.

“Not that far Saa, if that were to happen we would all be better off surrendering. Look, don't worry about it, ok? I have a plan and it will work. You can be sure of that.”

“Give me something Lu, Please! I worry you get too deep in your head and then come up with crazy ideas that put your life at risk” the maid had steel in her voice and hurt at the very end.

William himself thought she was being silly, all his plans so far were perfectly under what Lucrezia could do, after all, alas he relented.

He liked Saa’ryu too much and respected the woman as a close friend and confidant.

“Kallista has a magical Item that can heal the Arch-Duke’s daughter, with that I will join his faction and be untouchable unless the Queen wants to risk civil war”

Saa’ryu nodded and said 

“Thank you, Lu, for trusting me”

William was touched but it was Lucrezia who spoke in his mind

Treat her well, for me”

 

24