Chapter 2 – Getting Ready
121 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I immediately prepared myself the moment I woke up, running straight to the bathroom to have a long dip in the tub.

The temperature of the water was just right. As always. I let my body sink into the tub and opened my eyes. Though my vision was blurry and the water stung my eyes, I still stared at my open palms.

These hands have done so many wrongs, the person who owns them wouldn't ever be forgiven even if she begged, pleaded, belittled herself and apologized. This was her retribution.

It was my retribution.

But of course, I was a stubborn fool.

Instead of accepting the fact that it was all over and done withthat all my efforts would be in vain, and my love would never be reciprocated anymore, I still broke down the shackles caging me. I escaped the darkness I was in but sunk myself further into the abyss.

It was supposed to be that I, as the main character, would have my own happy ending, that I would be happy and content, and the person I loved would love me back. We would have a simple yet memorable wedding, with us having our happy days loving each other. Then, we would pick our house together, build our own family and live our lives in happiness.

But in truth:

I was my own downfall.

I was the villain in my own story.

Instead of being happy, I was living like I had no reason to live. Just a living doll. Though my family was there to support me, it wasn't enough.

It was never enough.

I was selfish; I know.

But I couldn't stop these feelings kept in my heart. I was painfully trying to remove these away, step by step, I painstakingly tried.

My efforts were in vain.

My feelings remained.

Losing air, I sat up and gasped, coughing and hacking as I felt the burning of my lungs gradually lessening.

After washing my body thoroughly, I jumped out of the tub and covered myself with a robe. I got another towel and dried my hair. Arriving back in my room, I saw a few sets of clothing propped on the bed. My eyes glistened with joy.

Alexa had prepared me once again with some good apparels. I have always liked her taste. I know that I could always depend on her about these types of matters. She was even my fashion guru. Those times we went to the mall to look for nice clothes were one of the happiest moments of my life.

Letting my fingers pass across the outline of the clothes, I narrowed my eyes in serious contemplation.

I need to wear the best.

Which would, of course, show the beauty I have in myself.

Even if I was the epitome of sin, it was still needed for me to look my best.

I unconsciously let out a resigned yet strangled and sad smile.

~~~~~

Looking at the map shown on my phone, I nervously glanced at the tall building in front of me.

This was it.

The moment of truth.

I clutched the handle of the bag that was propped on my shoulder. I bit my lower lip in apprehension.

Maybe I should just try this another time?

I-I think I haven't prepared myself enough yet.

My hands trembled; my mind was in obvious disarray.

I stood still near the entrance of the building, gaining the unneeded attention of the populace. I think this was a wrong idea. Directly wanting to meet him was suicide! What if he did meet me only to be ignored and thrown away?!

But, I was hoping for a long time to just, even for only a moment, have a glimpse of his face. To know how he was doing. To know whether if it was possible to be a part of his heart. To know whether--

Without notice, my legs moved and made a hesitant step forward.

I hope this would go well...

~~~~~

Staring at the person in front of me with wide eyes, I stuttered, feeling a bit doubtful.

Feeling the doubt, yet excited with emotions from my giddiness, the man nodded, albeit with a bit of amusement. "You're hired." He said once more, reassuring my doubtful heart.

He skimmed through my resume again, his eyes looked like they were smiling.

"Your resume is good. You're promising. I have a feeling in my gut that I will be making a good choice by hiring you."

I shot up and stood still, I was grinning widely from the obvious joy I felt. I bowed deeply as I exclaimed. "I will make sure that I won't disappoint you, sir!”


Edited by: Hammy!

3