Chapter 4 – Work, Work, Work! (2)
84 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s been a few weeks—almost to a month—since I’ve started working. Truthfully from many people’s experiences, it was a bit difficult at the beginning since I was still adjusting to the new environment; but of course, after giving myself some time, I gradually got used to it and familiarized myself.

But there was one thing.

Just one thing that was a bit hard to take in…

Apparently, I became an idol.

Well, not really… But I was someone popular in the company.

I had no idea why this was happening or how it came to be, but I’m now popular.

Many people were yearning for this to happen to them; wanting to taste that feeling of being the center of the public’s positive attention. That even a little bit of directing my gaze to them would make them shriek.

But the he-coughs! I don’t want such attention! I sooo much more preferred to stay lowkey, thank you very much! Having all my actions observed by people was a nuh-uh, maybe even what toothpaste I used would be checked!

Nothing would be gained by being popular, I tell you.

There was one time during high school where one of my friends was so popular that he received many scary experiences. A woman sending him a letter written in blood; a doll that was rumored to have the sender’s hair inside; going home to realize that his mailbox was filled with suspicious looking letters.

He couldn’t fathom why he had so many admirers; he was open and never hid any secrets, but their attention was stifling and made him frustrated.  

It happened for a few long months; after that, he couldn’t take any more of those shi-ehem, and wasted no time in transferring schools.

He never turned back.

Thankfully, he told me about his transfer, so that I wouldn’t be shocked by his sudden disappearance.

And another thing I was grateful for was that my popularity gradually faded and all the enthusiasm dwindled, but there were still people looking at me in admiration. This was bearable, but still kind of uncomfortable. I could put up with it if they stayed within the limits. Hopefully, it would stay that way.

I still talk to him from time to time. We were close too, more in a familial way. He helped me through tough times.  He’s my brother. Though he’s a bit peculiar, and close-minded people would probably not appreciate his… interests. Hehehe… Of course, that didn’t stop me from getting closer to him.

I hope I can see him again soon.

Entering the office I was designated to use, I immediately went to the table to look at the documents to be sorted. The computer was already booted up and there was a small sticky note stuck on the screen.

I sighed softly as I read the contents.

Seemed like I was needed by the department president again.

The Accountancy Department was where I applied to. I studied this profession just for the sake of being able to help him. Though obviously, it never happened. Instead, I was thrown away and despised by the very person who I wanted to use this for.

I took a deep sigh, shaking my head to remove such grim thoughts in my head.

There was nothing I could do, it already happened. Either it was fated or just plain stupidity, I don’t know.

But it was also kind of ironic; because all the things I’ve sacrificed just for the sake of supporting him, this was my ending. Thrown away and hated.

I heaved another sigh, calming my disordered thoughts, patting away the painful feeling in my chest.

I immediately finished my task and went to the rest area to get something to drink before going to the department head.

The Accountancy Department’s head was Lucas Torres. He’s been the head for almost 15 years and was trusted by the President of this company. His words had value and were always thought about when the company was in their period of major decision-making meetings. And because of this, our department was put on a pedestal.

As to why I’m being called by him again, I have no idea. Every time he called for me, he just asked some random questions. But of course, I never answered carelessly and answered him seriously during each question. After a few follow up questions, he thanked me and walked me out, his face full of smiles.

I looked at him in confusion and asked him about it, but he just laughed loudly and waved his hand, telling me that he was just looking for some company to talk to. “And sometimes—” He trailed off, smiling enigmatically. “—talking to employees can give you good ideas.”

This happened every single time.

Though, to be honest, I looked forward to every meeting. All the thoughts he shared were always enlightening. It would definitely be fruitful if you conversed with such a professional. I learned a lot, and I would continue meeting with the head if I could too.

Finishing my drink, I walked towards the trash bin and threw away the drink carton.

~~~~~

Leaving the office with a pale face, I looked at the folder of documents I received, my whole body trembling as I bit my lower lip.

I rushed out and hastily went to my table, dizzily looking for my flash drive. When I found it, I slammed the folder onto the table and quickly plugged in the flash drive as I let myself fall into my seat.

To my shock and horror, the flash drive was empty. Someone erased the files inside!

Both of my arms fell powerlessly as I stared at the screen blankly.

Tears just unconsciously streamed down; my face gradually morphing into a painful expression. I painstakingly tried to hide my hiccups, but obviously, I was failing.

People inside the office noticed my weird movements and looked at me worriedly. I laughed resignedly as I stood up, looking at them sheepishly as I tried to wipe away my flowing tears. “Sorry for that everyone, I need to go home for now.”

I ran.

How did they know of this?

Oh, of course, they would know this; it’s not really a secret. I just didn’t expect that they would know about this so soon.

As I exited the company building and ran towards the bus station, I cried out, letting out my desperate wails.

I ignored the weird looks I got from the people.

I ignored the people.

I ignored the noise.

I ignored everything.

~~~~~

“Miss Clarice…” Sir Torres looked at me strangely, holding a folder of documents.

“Yes…?” I slowly asked, feeling that there was something terribly wrong.

Sir Torres handed me the folder and let me have a look inside. I flipped it open and skimmed the contents.

I used all of my strength to not collapse in front of my superior.

Seeing my shock, I saw Sir Torres smile at me, albeit pitifully.

“You will be transferred to the main branch, Miss Clarice.”


As usual, edited by Hammy!

4