Chapter 8 – The Storm
57 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8 - The Storm (1)

When I asked around in the lobby about the interview for new employees, fortunately, it didn’t happen like from before and I was peacefully sent to a huge room with a few people already inside.

When I entered and glanced around the area, it was terrifyingly silent inside. Most of the interviewees were wearing blank and serious expressions, but I think they were just probably tense and nervous about what's to come. Well, considering that you were accepted for an interview with one of the most influential and powerful families in this country… who wouldn't be? 

The room was a huge dining area. There were many tables inside that had utensils, empty wine glasses, and overturned plates on them. 

The interior was plain-looking, but it couldn't hide the grandiose and elegant atmosphere. 

Some waiters hurriedly prepared an empty table, placed some snacks, and poured water in the wine glass. 

"Please stay here and familiarize yourself, Miss Clarice." The receptionist motioned me to the recently arranged empty table, her voice somehow gaining its volume. 

If the silence could any be more silent, it just happened. 

Suddenly, all eyes were directed to me and the ways they looked at me weren't kind or accommodating in any way. Their gazes were dark and judgmental; some were even giving me disgusted looks. 

I audibly gulped as I felt cold sweat covering my back. D-Did I do something wrong? 

I tensely tilted my head to face the receptionist and silently nodded. "Thank you," I said in a nonchalant voice, or I tried to. I think I’ve gone terrifyingly pale and I felt my throat constricting in apprehension. 

The receptionist smiled at me in encouragement, but I noticed that her smile wasn't genuine and there was something I couldn't figure out. It looked like she was smug about something. 

Looking at her demeanor, it was like she was belittling me. Then it dawned on me. She deliberately called out my name! These people in this room knew about something I don't! 

Realizing this, I swiftly lost my feeling of apprehension and shifted my disposition to a deathly calm manner. Ah… so he's gonna play like this…?

I looked at the people giving me jeers straight at their face, my calmness never wavering. I saw them gradually fidgeting under my gaze and I deepened my look. Without their notice, they averted their eyes away from mine and looked at something else. Some brought out their phones, some fiddled on their pens, some opened their notes, and a few literally paled. 

Then I looked at the receptionist who was gaping at me. 

I smiled beatifically

"What is your name, Miss?" I asked in a sacchariferous sing-song voice. Unfortunately, there were no name tags on their uniforms, unlike those on other companies, so I wasn't able to know her name. She also didn't take any initiative to talk to me. I ignored it because I thought she was shy, but it seemed like it was something else. I was such an idiot for not noticing it. Sighs. 

"A-Ah…" The female receptionist trembled in fear as she looked at me, trying to answer. 

"Hmm?" I continued, my voice, still sickeningly sweet. 

She continued to open her mouth only to not speak at all, or more like, she couldn't. If this was how they would start the party, I would be a total killjoy if I didn't follow suit, right? 

The female receptionist continued on looking at me in horror as she swallowed audibly. 

My smile didn't leave my lips as I continued speaking. "It seems like Miss Receptionist is somehow thirsty, I can bring you some water if you like," I suggested then slightly raised my hand to call a waiter. 

"N-No!" She suddenly exclaimed, making me halt on my call for a waiter. "I-It's okay… I-I am not thirsty…" She shakingly trailed off. 

I giggled as I brought down my hand. Then, I pulled my chair nearer to the table to make myself more comfortable and gently place my clasped hands on the table, gazing at the receptionist as I waited for her to answer. 

"T-Trisha." The receptionist finally answered after a few long moments of silence. 

My lips widened when I saw her shudder. Oops. Excuse me. 

I covered my lips for a moment then exhaled, changing my expression. 

I giggled softly once more, my hand reaching and picking up the wine glass in front of me before twirling it silently. I looked at the liquid flowing to how I moved the glass and finally gloated at the female with such a calm smile. 

"Thank you for your wonderful introduction to such an elegant and beautiful lady such as I (rika: pfft). Though, it wasn't part of my knowledge that there was a need for such pleasantries here." I took a slight sip of the water. 

"Still, I am still grateful for those… unneeded formalities as I learned that I am not imparted with something vital."

I saw the people inside freeze in the corner of my eyes. I quirked the corner of my lips. "It seems like I wasn't mistaken."

Then without any notice, I mocked a sad expression. "But such a pity." I let out a dramatic sigh. "I never knew that this company of his is only to this level…" I shook my head in disappointment. "These people he employed are such children who would immediately believe such slander."

I gently placed the wine glass back on the table. I saw the receptionist wince. I smiled once more and gently wiped my lips with the cloth prepared on the table. "Such a disappointment." I then seriously uttered, standing up from my seat and made my way outside. 

But before I truly left, I glanced around the people inside with an encouraging look. "I hope you guys have fun in the interviews." I sweetly reminded them, then I saw them all turn pale and shudder in dread. 

Ah… Such bliss. 

I know that I am a weak girl. Someone that totally has no power against such a dominant opponent. He could easily squish me like a bug and make me eternally disappear in his life, but that didn't mean I would back down without a fight. Yes, I am weak. But I fight. 

I might have done something wrong and I know that forgiveness was just a beautiful dream, but using words like this to have me look like I was some kind of disgusting woman? 

I have no idea what was disclosed to them, or whether they're true or not, nonetheless, I have no plans to know… because this? This is not fair. Why would he include his personal feelings like this and attack me with such a foolish method? 

After a few short years, it's inevitable that he would change. But I didn't expect it to be like this. He never stoop so low to use words of slander to make people bend their knees for him before. 

He just crossed my bottom line. 

If this is how he’d play with me… The fight is on.

 

2