V4C4 – Lukewarm
1.7k 16 53
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On a silent war-torn plain, the bodies of bloody demons and [Curse] [Cores] littered the ground. It's the Demonic Front after the armies had left. What remained there now were metals and dreams left to rot. In the midst of that, one body began moving...

*shuffle*
*shuffle*

"D*mn that Eurevos...getting in the way of my plan. If only Aki-sama hadn't existed or known him..."

Teona cursed as she extended her legs slowly.

"Wait, how am I alive?"

She felt her new body. It was a nearby demon's corpse from the battlefield. A demon woman with proportions a shadow of what her original body had. She quickly knew...

"That Griskiel, he knew what the right thing to do was. Using all that willing mana fuel into reviving me...though this state is unstable. This body is already dead, I'm a zombie with a time limit. Guess I can't complain even if this new body is mediocre, it'll do. A demonic soldier must be pretty fit after all. My summons, are still with me as well. [Avin], scout the area."

"(affirmative bird noises)"

"Haha...the [Demon Lord] is me...me...!"

Oh no! 


Heroes POV:

"Eh? You want us to give a talk at the [Academy]?"

"It's for the future of our nation, please consider it..."

"I feel like we're being used too much but, it's not like the kids did anything wrong."

"So, will you?"

"We have nothing else pressing going on right now so, why not?"

"Thank you very much!"

"Haha..."


Aki POV: 

What [Elf Queen] Silvia and [Dwarf King] Yugriv said was right. I'm a terrible [Demon Lord]. The wishes cultivated over history, the political/social skill, and the attachment to [Orvinus], I have none of it. But, isn't that how it should be? I'm from Earth, coming here for the benefit of Earth. Complicating responsibility with lives, with emotions, like a tangled mess...won't work. The [Demon Generals] are competent...I hope. What do I...no, it isn't a question of what I can do. It's a question of what I have to do. I was made the [Demon Lord] without consent, why should I take responsibility for the role? Just because I used it? No, in that case, why give me the responsibility at all? But shunning it wouldn't be right...I got it. Maybe I'm riding off of the flow of victory...

"Let's just leave them (demons) be."

It'll turn out fine. Acting on my thoughts,

"Yoru, contact Fila. I'm going to the [Holy Kingdom]. [Gravity Magic] flight will get us there in a jiffy."

"Odd word choice, but I understand. Let's go then."

Walking to the blackened balcony, I gaze at the smoldering sky. Clouded and ominous...

[Gravity Magic]

"I can't tell any of my subordinates...they'll make a scene. They'll elect a new [Demon Lord] when I'm gone probably."

Running away, I don't know how that sounds.

I accelerate upwards while physically enhancing my every crevice. 10m/s, 20m/s, 30m/s... I climb in speed at a familiar pace and direct myself towards the [Holy Kingdom]. I wonder if people will panic upon my arrival. I do have buckets of 'disgusting' mana in me. Whatever...I just need to reunite with my friends and return. I'm sure they do too. I look back to the castle, remembering how I commanded the army, the loyalty of Konno, Yaido, Riord, Riordus, and Lovet. I...

...fly away. The reason...


Evestia:

During Vetheris's golden age of conquest, human nations were destroyed left and right until the race was cornered to the [Holy Kingdom]. Out of one of these destroyed nations was a certain survivor of the royal bloodline, Princess Evestia. She was a talent rare for her age, a masterful prodigy with the sword, spells, and mana manipulation. But, such a tragic princess lost everything and was forced into the [Holy Kingdom] to stand against those who took everything.

She quickly rose the ranks, becoming renowned as the second-best fighter in the kingdom (before the heroes showed up). Number one being [Sword Saint] Gauss. She desperately chased after Gauss's back. The back that never looked once at her and her story. She, who was a perfectionist and petty, desperately tried to be acknowledged as the best...only to be crushed by Gauss's pure aged talent no matter her effort.

To put lemon juice into her freshly opened wounds, the heroes came. They did what no one else could do, and drove the demons back. The demons that killed her family, the ones she swore to defeat. They usurped the number one strength rating from Gauss immediately, heck they were trained by him and the [Great Sage] Thouria. Most simply, she thought," I can't do what I want to do," If only I had the strength," If only they didn't exist," Why did it have to happen like this?"

"Who am I to think like this?"

And when the heroes returned to their world, she was secretly happy. It was just jealousy.

"I am no one."

People swarm around her to tell her she's amazing.

"You're wrong."

They go silent. They walk away.

"What's wrong with me?"

No one answers.

Princess Evestia. 


Aki POV:

I arrive a little aways from the royal capital so that I could walk in naturally. A flying ball of darkness to an observer would look pretty alarming, wouldn't it? I guess if it were walking towards you... it's more manageable? I lower my elevation and briskly walk in the direction of the tallest and most expensive-looking building. As an artist, I can't help but appreciate the architecture of this world...I'll say it again! Though man, I wish I had that [Hide Presence] spell, maybe I should've gone to the demonic church place back there...

"Halt!"

There it is. Who is it?

"I am Evestia Ervinwyze, burn that name into your mind demon! For it is the name of the one who will send you to the afterlife!"

I sigh and turn to see a beautiful girl in her 20s wielding a silvery-white broadsword with complex patterns running down its length. Her position has no openings, and her eyes are glued to mine fiercely. Crimson red eyes and hair, like an ethereal princess. My mind switches into battle mode.

"Hm? I recognize you from the description of...the new [Demon Lord]...!"

Seemingly faltering, her lips quiver slightly.

"Get back Evestia-sama!"

"No, this is my duty, Sui."

Sui is Evestia's battle maid. Also, her magic instructor since birth. Evestia steps forward, 

"[Demon Lord Aki], I don't know why you're here in the [Holy Kingdom], but if it's anything related to you demons it must be bad news."

She won't let me talk. She shows no fear even in the face of insurmountable power, how praiseworthy.

"Here I come, insolent [Demon Lord]!"

But...

"It's not enough..."

I, with my superior physical enhancements, quickly avoid her swing. But, it extends like a snake, or a chain and wraps towards me. 

"Wha--!?"

I avoid that too since I could see it ahead of time. I then shift my position and force myself up to her bountiful chest. With a fully charged punch, I knock her torso with wood-wrenching force. I hear her bones creak as she's flung meters away. That sword surprised me but...

"Evestia-sama!"

Sui cries out as I approach the fallen swordswoman. When in front of her,

[Fireb--

I interrupt her spell by grabbing her arm and using [Mana Drain]. She should feel a deficiency soon and faint...

"Y-you...why...can't

...I catch up?"

She's speaking nonsense?

"Why can't I...no one knows...how hard I..."

"..."

"If only I...why are they so far...and here I am crushed like an insect..."

Tears flow out of her face. I thought she gave off the impression of someone who never cried. Well, those people actually usually tend to cry buckets in intense situations. Did I make this girl cry...cr*p, what do I do now? I'm no demon...

"If only..."

Evestia lost consciousness thinking it was her last day.


Evestia POV:

I awoke to a soft sensation pressing against my back. I get up from the bed and rub my eyes slightly. Looking to my left, I see, the...[Demon Lord]...?

"AHH!?!?"

I let out a high-pitched scream, only to have it immediately canceled. 

"Thanks, Sino."

I heard the black-haired demon say under her breath. She looked back at me.

"So?"

"Eh? Wait, why am I here!? What happened to Sui?"

"She's right next to you."

She's right, Sui is right next to me on the unexpectedly large bed. Sleeping soundly...

"What did you do to her?"

"Same thing I did to you, mana deficiency. It's only been a few hours."

"A few hours?"

Oh, since that confrontation.

"And? What does the [Demon Lord] intend to do with us? You've shown you're levels above me in terms of combat."

"Nothing, I just thought that you were pitiful and so I booked a room for you instead of leaving you on the street."

(They are in a booked inn room.)

"I didn't ask you to do that!"

"Hey, it was a lot of trouble for me! Just take my empathy!"

"Who wants the empathy of a [Demon Lord]!?"

"[Demon Lord] huh..."

It looks like something unpleasant for her came up...

"So, you're really not going to do anything to us?"

"Yeah."

I closed my eyes and rubbed my temples.

"I fail to understand. Why were you in the [Holy Kingdom]?"

She thought for a second and then flashed a teehee face. 

"Secret? Well, I guess people like you have theirs..."

Then, I realized...my pathetic state near the end of my consciousness...my face turns red.

"What's wrong?"

"Those things I said...near the end, please forget them."

"Hm...you know you can talk to me about it."

"Eh? Who would want to do that?"

"Well, sorry for offering myself. Jeez, I'm leaving."

"W-wait..."

I tugged at the hem of her oddly otherworldly clothes...

I look up at her shining dark eyes. They're beckoning me to come in. I fall.


"So that's everything?"

I nod shyly.

"Well, I'm not great at giving advice...even though I offered it. So, here goes. How about...not caring as much?"

"..."

"..."

"Aki-sama, this principle has defined my whole life."

"I know. But, just learn that there's always someone above you (especially true on Earth)!"

"How can I take such a lackadaisical attitude!"

"So are you going to continue living out your days in misery?"

"Don't tell me what to do!"

"You're the one who asked me!"

"Hmph, you can only say that since you're strong...nothing like me."

"...haha I guess from your perspective that's right. Even if I told you my problems, you'd just roll your eyes and be covered in envy."

"It's true, you suck at giving advice."

"Look, I don't know exactly what you're going through. I don't know what it's like to be constantly striving for a goal and only to be crushed. I've had successes and successes, almost like I have some kind of plot armor. But, just know that your thoughts aren't everything."

"Vagueness can't do anything. I might not get any answers from you, but I guess answers aren't that easy to come by."

"True that."

"Well, that's not to say this talk was useless. I feel a bit better now that I spoke about it. Thanks, [Demo--Aki-sama."

"No problem...? Well, I'm going to go, I probably won't see you again."

"Bye."

I inwardly crack a small grin.

"That's right." 

"Goodbye."

Simple, complex, it's all relative. I think to myself,

"What a weird experience..."

Did I just let a [Demon Lord] loose onto the city? I don't think that's the case, she has something to do. She's also reasonable, awkward, and prone to change. Like a human fitting her illusioned age. I won't chase after her, but I am curious. Not like that'll solve me. Aki-sama, a life I'll never know. Maybe that's why I'm losing.

53