V5C6 – After Conclusion
909 3 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nakamura POV (not Jiro but the one from V2C9 / the government official who helped Airi):

"Nakamura-san, it seems that your son Jiro was taken out by [Lilus]'s [Officer #5]. The crazy one."

"I see." 

"..."

"Now then, it's time to check up on my little Airi-chan. She's definitely doing good work, I can smell it. Money~money~money~"

"Sir, you're twisted."


Akito POV:

After the threat by [Lilus], which was that I'd be killed by them...I'm anxious, of course. I'm not outright scared as I can defend myself, but I can't help worrying. It's like a test you know you've studied for but still feel unconfident about it. 

Anyways, today had to be the day when I was late to wake up. As my tardy self shuffled into school, I could see it--waiting for me at the desolate entrance was a man dressed in no other words than suspiciously. With that dark coat in broad daylight, the poor thing must've been sweating oceans. Huh, I wasn't expecting immediate action from [Lilus]. I guess mind control in an organization makes things orderly?

I try to climb over the fence. Please don't notice me.

"Hey!"

"..."

"So you're Akito Harada?"

"Yes, and...?"

"!"

The man began pulling rocks out of his pocket. Who carries rocks in their pocket...? He, with rocks, wound up like a pitcher and launched them at air-cracking speed with a brutal throw towards me. It's an ability, there's no other explanation. If I get hit with that, it'd probably impact worse than a bullet wouldn't it? Shoot, I underestimated him.

[Hexad Barrier: 2 Release]

I put up two barriers at an angle, this method works for projectiles in specific circumstances. The bouncing properties of alien barriers are unscientifically comical. The rocks slam into the first barrier and transfer to the second. They're then directed back at the man with nearly the same speed after being deflected by the second. 

"Ah!"

A clean hit to the headーouchーthat's a concussion or...death. He fell to the ground without any support too. I'll just leave now. I turn my back and begin to enter the school without hindrances.

Now, knowing that they're just mind-controlled puppets, this victory is kind of empty. Speaking of which, technically Watanabe-senpai was brainwashed too right? It didn't seem that way though. Maybe it's the kind of thing you are implanted with that doesn't have to be glaringly active all the time.


Midterms are upon us; English has become a breeze; I'm decent at mathematics and science; History is doable. That sums up my academic performance, an average high schooler aren't I? I wouldn't say that I couldn't do better, but my drive isn't there like when I grind mana through [Mana Drain].

Anyways, my group of 9 (including me) are sitting around a few desks chatting away. It's easing my tension. Well, I can't relax too much as many are enviously peeping. 

"So, what happened with you and Watanabe-senpai yesterday?"

"Sorry, I can't tell you."

I have no convincing excuses, so I'll play sincerity. I guess this isn't sincere at all though.

"Well, if you don't want to say anything then you don't have to. You can handle yourself, but always know that we're right here--"

"Ah, thanks."

To bring you up to speed, the heroes only know that Jiro Nakamura had some weird mind control power. Other than that, only Ai and Ayame kn0w about Watanabe disposing of Jiro. Well, I don't think they'd reveal the fact unnecessarily to the rest to cause unrest. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they did; it doesn't really matter anyway.

[intermittent speaking between the group members]

"More importantly, you guys study for midterms?"

"Obviously, what else would you be doing?"

"[Curse] killings..."

"It's not like we force you to go out daily!"

"Haha..."

"On another note, did you hear?"

"Hm?"

"Nakamura-kaichou stepped down."

"Ah, I wonder why. I never really had a big impression of him; Well, after hearing Ayame's account of him I guess it's a good thing he's gone."

"Agreed and with that, there's a need for a new president isn't there?"

"I guess, but they'd have to go through the whole election process again. Well actually, since it's the middle of the school year, the vice president resumes duty."

"Come to think of it, I don't recall Jiro ever being elected or campaigning..." 

"Hmm, I guess he was chosen or something...? Well, that wouldn't be fair. At any rate, I'm not terribly interested."

"C'mon, you should at least care a bit about your own school's government."

"I don't really see the effects so..."

"Haa~ young people like you don't have urgency! When you grow up, are you going to be one of those people who just sit on the sidelines?"

"That's overexaggerated, and aren't you the same age as me?"

"Uuh!"

"Hahaha--"

"So, the vice president will fill the role. Isn't that our Arakawa-san?"

"Sure is. She's as nice as always...I did my math homework as class was starting since I forgot to do it last night; She noticed as she was collecting them and so she made sure that she came to the area around my seat last in the order so that I'd have maximum time to finish. Honestly, that consideration makes my heart pound! I didn't finish though (´Д `)."

"Tatsumi (-‸ლ)."

"Hm?"

"Nevermind."

Suddenly,

"Hey, let's go somewhere for the weekend."

I try hard not to reflexively change my expression. Right now, when midterms are right around the corner?

"True, we should all go somewhere together. We didn't even celebrate our victory from [Orvinus] fully. Well, we did in [Orvinus] but Akito wasn't there."

"..."

I guess they're confident in their studies. Well, I'm personally all ready so...!

"Sure."

Welp, can't change my answer even if I wanted to back out now.

"How about a restaurant? There's this mall...I'll text you all the details."

"Sounds good."

"Akito, you better wear some decent clothes," Ayame.

"Eh? I do usually though."

"Hmm..."

I'll be out of my natural element having somewhere to go on the weekend, I better not mess this up.


I came wearing a nice shirt and shorts, complimenting the nice day. Surprisingly sunny for fall, isn't it?

"Oi, Akito! Over here!"

I see the rest waiting for me there already. Hm? I came right on the dot though. Anyways, with all of us gathered, we made plans.

"It's not quite lunchtime yet, do you guys want to look around in the meantime?"

"You were setting up for this weren't you, otherwise you would've called us at a time closer to lunch."

"Haha, you caught me."

Sly.

"Let's go to the clothing store!"

"And that's my queue to go to the game store..."

"Same."

"I'll go with you guys then. You remember last time when we were almost got kicked out."

I'm scared to ask.

"Akito, where do you want to go?"

"Uh, I guess I'll go to the game store too--"

Ayame pouts obviously and appeals to me.

"Actually, the clothing store sounds good. I'll take a peek."

She beams back. Oh boy, I might cry when seeing the prices. I'm easily manipulated, aren't I? Well, if it's just for this, it doesn't matter too much.

"Akito's got himself a quadruple date."

"What are you talking about..."

This won't be a harem situation, even if it looks like it. After all, this is real life. In real life, things like that just don't happen!


"How does this look Akito?"

"Well, it's stylish...?"

"Tell me what you honestly think!"

I know, this is where I use that line! 

"You look beautiful in anything you wear, Ayame."

"Oh, thanks."

Huh? Where's my blushing bashful heroine!? Well, this reaction is to be expected when it's her. Anyways, the girls are doing a makeshift fashion show with the changing rooms and store clothes.

"Hey, Harada-kun, does this suit me?"

Rino comes out and appeals with a sharp pose. She's wearing some loose-fitting trousers, a tip-tied t-shirt, and a cap that covers a portion of her face in cast shadow. Well, the attributes of a child nullify it in my mind.

"Ah! It's super cute!"

"T-Thank you...(she was going for a more cool approach)."

Then,

"Harada-kun~"

"Ai?"

She waltzes out boldly, flashes me a wink, and strikes with a refined professional look. The aura is completely different, even though the clothes themselves are pretty plain and standard. I guess she prefers these kinds of clothes.

"Wow, amazing!"

"Hehe, thank you--"

"Isn't that reaction too different from the one I got?"

"I mean, Ayame, you haven't worked as a model before."

You lack that certain energy of experience! Still good enough for anyone though!

"Mmhmm."

Lastly,

"Woah, Hayase-san is super pretty!"

She came out in a cozy fitting chemise with small frills and flower patterns.

"Mm, thanks Harada-kun. Can I ask which part you like specifically?"

No, this is not an excuse for me to lick her over with my gaze!

"Well, I think the colors compliment each other nicely..."

What am I saying, it's literally white!

"Hm, interesting. A boy's opinion is definitely needed too sometimes."

"..."

We spent nearly an hour there with similar interactions, truly a feast for my eyes. Well, this isn't weird, since I'm a girl too. I swear-- totally not lying!


Walking back from the store afterward, I separate from the group for a quick run to the restroom. After relieving myself, relief turns to...

"Oya? Isn't it Harada-kun?"

"Urgh...!"

Watanabe-senpai da! Her female friends are with her. She jogs towards me with her tied-up black hair waving about.

"Who's that Kanon-chan? Shiriainano?"

"Ah, we know each really well~"

She took me by the collar and dragged me to a place further from there. Her friends left behind were giggling. Groups of older women + one younger guy = disaster so I'm thankful to be out of that situation. In exchange for Watanabe-senpai, the value doesn't change much though.

"..."

"Not a welcoming reaction I see. Well, leaving that aside, it's lucky that I ran into you here."

"Why?"

"I wanted to talk. It seems that the attempt to rid of you a few days ago failed...I don't see how since the one we sent out was supposedly competent. Really, aren't you a bag full of mysteries to be alive and kicking?"

Oh, the rock-throwing guy, so that's the level of a pro? Her arms flung back behind her as she took a cutesy posture. 

"Fufu~ as I thought, you're interesting Harada-kun. Continue what you're doing and maybe they'll call me to do the job one day hehe. But, at the same time, don't get too full of yourself..."

*kabedon*

"You can't run, and know that I can kill you by myself anytime I want," she whispers in my ear.

She then beams an innocent smile at me as I feel approaching danger!

A small cut streaked across the side of my neck and a line of blood dribbles down. She created a razor-sharp and minuscule wind blade in an instant, tearing off a sliver of flesh. I guess [Natural Disaster] can manipulate the wind too!? This is no joke, senpai is scary! Her eyes bubble inhumanely. 

"Well, if you can survive that long that is."

"Ahahaha, well with that, I'll see you later Watanabe-senpai," I said with weird intonations.

I slipped out of her grasp surprisingly effortlessly. My jaw was forced to a light grin while I waved a hasty goodbye. She didn't give chase. Phew...!

I hurried back to the group while looking forward. The given small cut is out of ordinary sight, was this her consideration? Well, don't cut me in the first place then! Also, don't do or say dramatic and ominous things like that! I might look like juicy prey in her eyes, but I won't cower in fear. For what reason am I Aki, if not to deter exactly these kinds of things? Secret organization? I have my own secret!


The bathroom itself isn't far from the clothing store or our initial meeting place. Strolling back at a brisk pace almost leads me there...until I see a familiar slung back twisting braid. The edges of her glasses rims peek in my view and I connect her image to the one I know. Her school uniform makes it even more obvious. But, who would wear a uniform on the weekend? Debating on whether or not to say hello, I see her taking a rigid posture. Her fists are curled and she's being ignored by passersby. Is she crying...? I go to her,

"A-Arakawa-san? Are you okay?"

She turns around upon hearing her own name from my mouth. However, I'm not greeted with tears. I'm greeted with a deep scowl and dark clouded eyes. Seeing class rep in a way she never showed before, I reflexively prepare myself and gulp.

"Oh, Harada-kun..."

30