Chapter 49
2.5k 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Everyone's eyes looked suspiciously between the two of them, passing speculations with their eyes and no one dared to say anything.

Wang Shao Guan's head was still lowered without a word from her.

She had just returned home from studying abroad and if not for family arrangements, Wang Shao Guan would not be qualified to hold the position of Department Manager and even so, it was still impossible for her to be involved in the negotiations of such a huge project.  Just this morning, when she received the memo, she did not understand the reason why Yunlang Group Boss's son specified that she had to attend this meeting.

However, when she saw Yunlang Group's legendary low-key Boss's son whom nobody had met, everything became clear and brought to light.

That familiar face.....but she was not familiar with his indifference and alienation.

That familiar smile.....but she was not familiar with his prestige and imposing manner.

If it was not for that familiar woman by his side, she would have thought she was mistaken. During the whole meeting, she had felt uneasy and did not understand what they were talking about.  She did not even know how much progress they had made and her mind had wandered. The moment Zhen Lang and her eyes met, his gaze pierced deep into her heart.

All the while she was tormented, she did not care about the outcome and just hoped the meeting would end early so she could escape.

Just yesterday, she had acted outrageously in the hospital hall, ridiculing the woman by his side. She had even said Jia Shao was unfaithful to her husband and also underhandedly suggested that if Zhen Lang wanted connections to the rich, that she, herself was a better choice for him.

Yesterday, when he turned and left abruptly, his laughter still lingered in her ears and it seemed to be a mockery to ridicule her.

That day on the phone, her father had personally scolded her for using other people's photo without their permission.  She had repeatedly argued but was told that the other party was Yunlang Group's young master's wife.  Did the young master's wife need to advertise herself to attract attention?  Now projects with investments worth hundreds of millions were put on hold because of her, and Yunlang Group vowed to get to the bottom of this matter.

She was unwilling to accept the truth and could not believe it.

A woman who works in a small ramshackle studio with a dirty and unkempt appearance humiliated her and made her publicly apologize.  And now that woman stands in front of her in arrogance, ridiculing her for her ignorance.

"Miss Wang, I think you are clearer than anyone else here about one other reason, right?" Zhen Lang asked faintly with his cold eyes staring at her.

The air in the room instantly became still and only everyone's breathing could be quietly heard.

In the midst of this stalemate, outside the door, noises floated in accompanied by respectful greetings.

"Chairman!"

"Chairman, good day!"

A snow-white haired old man with the aid of a cane, slowly walked in with his arm supported by a middle-aged man.  The manner of his walk showcased his dignity and his pair of eyes was full of spirit, completely without any trace of old turbidity.

Zhen Lang smiled, stretched out both his hands to hold the old man's arm.  "Old Mr. Wang's health looks good.  Looks like you don't need to do any more recuperative checks."

The old man's shining eyes looked at Zhen Lang, up and down and also exchanged a look with his son.   He could not help but sigh regretfully.  "I had no idea, completely had no idea......you are actually Yunlang Group's successor."

Yunlang Group and Wang Enterprise business cooperation negotiations had always been handled by the Regional General Manager and even they had never seen this young master and nobody knew him.

Until the proposal plan was suspended, Old Mr. Wang had still thought that it was due to an impulse of the young man but did not expect that the impulsive young man was the doctor that he had highly praised for being steady and calm.....Dr. Zhen.

When Old Mr. Wang made his appearance in the conference room, everyone quietly left the room.  In the huge room, there was only Zhen Lang, Old Mr. Wang, his eldest son, and Wang Shao Guan.  Jia Shao was also present and her hand was clasped tightly by Zhen Lang.

"Young Mr. Zhen, my granddaughter is arrogant and willful but this is a private matter between you and her.  Delaying the project or looking for another company to take over will also affect Yunlang Group and I am afraid, this is not a good thing, right?"  He patted the back of Zhen Lang's hand and his voice tone softened down.

About that matter, he had more or less heard of it but also in the next moment, he studied carefully the woman who had successfully got the better of his granddaughter.

She has a pair of very beautiful eyes, bright and clear and almost all her thoughts were written in them.  Quick-witted without losing her calm.  Many people would have hurriedly turned away from him the moment their eyes meet but she did not cower and met his eyes without any inhibition.  The instant, their eyes met a sweet smile bloomed on her face.

He had to admit that she was more courageous than his granddaughter and also with much more charming appeal and more attractive.

Looking at the beautiful woman with her big clear eyes, he said. "Shao Guan had done wrong.  Let her apologize to Young Mrs. Zhen, how about that?"

He was really worthy of high respect.  With just a few words, he could manipulate a contract breakdown into a small friction between two people which could be easily settled with just an apology.

Zhen Lang had not even replied when Wang Shao Guan's expression changed and angrily said.  "I won't."

Old Mr. Wang's cane knocked on the ground and in a majestic voice tone, he boomed out a word. "Go!"

Being a pampered child all her life, she had never seen her grandfather with this kind of expression before.  She slowly got up from her chair and reluctantly went up to Jia Shao.  After biting her lip for a long while, she still could not bring herself to speak.

Jia Shao swept her eyes back and forth between Old Mr. Wang and Wang Shao Guan then finally rested her eyes on Zhen Lang's face.  He was quiet and had a deep smile on his face.

She was also smart and remained quiet without speaking.

"I should not have used your photo without your permission.  This, I had already publicly apologized through the media and hope this matter will be completely settled, I'm sorry."  This was said with reluctance but at least the words were spoken.  Wang Shao Guan let out a sigh of relief and looked grievously at her grandfather.

Old Mr. Wang smiled with satisfaction. "Young Madam Zhen, will this be alright?"

"No."  It was not Jia Shao who answered but Zhen Lang.

This time, both the old and young Mr. Wang frowned and Wang Shao Guan's expression turned uglier.

The air in the room was stifling.  Casually Zhen Lang took off his jacket, gave it to Jia Shao and gently rolled up his sleeve.  "Old Mr. Wang, do you know why I did not attend the Chamber of Commerce Meeting, a week ago?  It was because we had just got off the plane and we were attacked by gangsters in front of our house."

The wound on his arm showed marks of stitches that were removed only recently.  The blood scab clinging onto the wound was the silent reminder of the tragically violent situation at that time.  Wang Shao Guan's body shook slightly and involuntarily took two steps back.

"I am not so interested in pursuing the matter of the photo but this......   Miss Wang, it seems you owe me an explanation."  Light words were spoken but it shocked everyone present in the room.

Jia Shao widened her eyes, not to look at Zhen Lang but at the pretty petite Wang Shao Guan in front of her.

She believed in Zhen Lang, unconditionally believed in him and if Zhen Lang said it was her, then it must be her.

"How can this be.....?"  Old Mr. Wang quickly stood up from his chair.  His body shook and his face turned red.  His eldest son standing by his side quickly reached out to support him.

The cane in his hand stomped heavily on the ground with loud thuds.  "Young Mr. Zhen, although my family's Wang Shao Guan is willful, she will never do such a thing.  She does not need to hire someone to hurt you."

"That's correct."  Wang Shao Guan's father who had kept quiet all this while finally could not suppress his anger.  "My daughter has no reason to hurt you and if you don't want to discuss the contract, you can leave now.  It is a criminal offense to hire someone to commit a murder or harm another and we, Wang Enterprise cannot afford to shoulder such a crime."

Old Mr. Wang panted and breathed with difficulty, then pointed at Wang Shao Guan. "Xiao Guan, did you do it?  As long as you say, you didn't do it.......even if we have a fall out with Yunlang Group, grandfather will still support you."

Wang Shao Guan's hand clutched the hem of her clothes and her exquisite suit was kneaded out of shape with wrinkles.  Her face was turned pale, her body stiffened and involuntarily trembled.

"Yes or No?!"  Old Mr. Wang roared and Wang Shao Guan trembled even more.

Tears flowed down her cheeks and messed up her nicely made-up face. "No, no....."

Old Mr. Wang stared at Zhen Lang with his sharp eyes.  "Young Mr. Zhen, since Xiao Guan said she didn't do it and if you still insist on tarnishing my granddaughter, then I will not let you off."

Under such circumstances, Zhen Lang still maintained his usual expression and gave Jia Shao a gentle smile.

Jia Shao rolled her eyes.  In this situation, he still had the mood to flirt.......

"Old Mr. Wang is mistaken on a point.  That group of people's target was not me but my wife." Zhen Lang gave Jia Shao's hand a tight squeeze.  "Yesterday, Miss Wang came to the hospital to visit me.  She knew I was injured and said she was specifically sent by you to visit me."

Zhen Lang's expression was gentle and even had a slight smile.  His sharp pointed words held the opposite meaning.  "As Mr. Wang had said, this is a criminal case.  On the night that I was injured, the police had blocked all news of the case from the public.  Except for the parties involved and the police, do you think will there be anyone who would know the target was my wife and the injured person was me?"

Old Mr. Wang's body slumped back into the chair seemingly with all his strength drained and the cane from his hand fell onto the ground.

*Pa*.....   A slap fiercely landed on Wang Shao Guan's cheek.  Mr. Wang's face was filled with distress. "Still don't want to admit?"

Wang Shao Guan's tears continuously slipped down her face.  She was shocked and shook her head without speaking.

"Or what you mean is, Old Mr. Wang sent you to visit me and so the person who actually hired those men was Old Mr. Wang?"  Zhen Lang took the opportunity to pour in a spoonful of hot oil.  His eyes looked in the direction of Old Mr. Wang. "Or why not let the main culprit speak for herself?"

"Yes.....I......"  Wang Shao Guan sobbed, messing up her words and a few words could not be heard because of her trembling.  "I wanted to seek revenge on her for humiliating me the last time....I just wanted to teach her a lesson."

To teach a lesson......she had instructed that a knife be used to disfigure her face?

To teach a lesson......she had instructed a group of men to drag her away?

If she did not know martial arts......

If Zhen Lang was not there to help her.......

Jia Shao could not imagine if the victim was another person......what would have been the result.

Zhen Lang was silent and his smile widened with icy coldness.

The old man gasped heavily, the originally shrewd appearance had gone leaving a delicate elderly like a candle in the wind*.  He coughed continuously and panted for breath.

(Candle in the wind means someone about to die.)

Jia Shao lowered her eyes, her hand gently covered Zhen Lang's wound and carefully, her fingers lightly touched the area around the wound.

Zhen Lang sighed near her ear, stood up and took in all of her expressions. "This is a criminal case and even I can't withdraw the case.  But fortunately, Zhen Family's ability in catching criminals is faster than the police.  Old Mr. Wang should send someone to contact Uncle Xie.....this matter is closed.  Yunlang Group and Wang Enterprise will continue with the joint-venture."

Old Mr. Wang's eyes expressed his gratitude.  He coughed non-stop and could not stop nodding his head.  He said severely. "Xiao Guan's education is incomplete.  I will send her abroad for a few years."

Zhen Lang smiled, turned around and left.

Along the way, Jia Shao never uttered a word and occasionally their eyes met.

 

*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*

 

When they reached home, before she could disengage herself from the shackles on her body, she was pulled by his strong arms into his embrace and fell onto his lap.

Afraid to struggle too strongly in case she touched his wound, Jia Shao pouted.  She wrinkled her nose and looked at Zhen Lang leaning leisurely on the sofa.  "You are really ruthless."

"Are you talking about Miss Wang?"  Zhen Lang lifted his eyebrows and gave a mocking smile. "I have let her go and also didn't send her to jail.......still considered ruthless?"

She shook her head and her expression was still unhappy.

She clearly understood.....know your enemy.....stay calm and collected......look for flaws......attack aggressively.

The opponent had used his 'gasping' move on Zhen Lang which meant leaving Zhen Lang with a future problem.  There was nothing wrong with Zhen Lang's method of dealing with the matter but in her heart, she could not bear it, not because of that Miss Wang but .........

"Old Mr. Wang is an experienced player in the commercial business arena for decades and he is more cunning than a fox."  Zhen Lang seemed to read her mind.  "He clearly knew when to show his weakness to win sympathy.  If I had not mentioned that the criminals had been caught by Uncle Xie's men who were sent out privately, do you think he would act like this?  His last words were to ensure that I will not be harassed in future.  If the old man is really gasping for breath, do you think he would be able to come up with such an idea?"

Jia Shao was dumbfounded and her eyes were dull.  She had not expected this answer.

Pinching her nose, Zhen Lang narrowed his eyes lazily.  "Silly girl, I am his Doctor, shouldn't I be clear about his health?  If he is to die from coughing then my medical skills will be naught."

Her mood lifted slightly and Jia Shao opened her mouth to bite his fingers.  With a light laugh he avoided her bite and feeling she had lost face, she muttered. "Then you still pretended to be foolish?"

"Of course."  With a sweep of his arm, Zhen Lang hugged her close to his chest.  She hung on to him and raised her face to receive his fine light kisses.

She was showered with unbridled kisses until delirious and vaguely heard a sentence.  "The contract will proceed.  As gratitude to me, ultimately he will have to let me have a deduction of between one to two percent and with the project worth hundreds of millions, you can calculate the amount."

Hundreds of millions worth of project......one to two percent......

Jia Shao's hand wrapped around his neck and looked at him with her blurry eyes. "Has anyone told you that you are a full-fledged fox spirit?"

Her words were cut short by his continuous kiss.  He nibbled on her neck and said. "Then, did this fox spirit bewitched you until you are crazily infatuated?"

He.....He is really a hateful fox spirit! ! ! !

5