Chapter 16
4k 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          He continued to look at the photos, I glanced around and one of the photos gave me an idea.  Crying tears of joy, with victory in sight, I had found a way to deal with him.

          This time I was absolutely sure I could drive him away and make sure he did not look back.

          Excitedly I swayed towards him, warmly patted his shoulder and pointed at the photo, said.  "Hey, see that photo?  See her?"

          He nodded.

          I became more excited, pointing my finger at the photo of the laughing silly Fei Ge and said eagerly.  "She is my lover."

          Sorry, Fei Ge, tomorrow I will send you a set of teacups to apologize.

          Kang Zixian turned around, smiled faintly at me.  I saw it was really effective and in a spurt of energy, said.  "I am a homosexual.  Lesbian, you understand?  That is having a relationship with a woman!  I and my lover had long declared our love for each other and no one can separate us."

          In order to strengthen the effect, I continued to talk about true love.  "Look, you have such excellent qualities, you're handsome and you look quite rich.  If I am a normal woman, I'll naturally attach myself to you but as you can see, I don’t have any interest in you which shows that I'm not normal.  Really you should give up.  In fact, I am just a little bit more intelligent and a little bit prettier than other people but that is insignificant.  Outside there is a field of wild lilies waiting for you.  Go quickly and if you are late, you'd be left with the decayed ones which would be a bad deal." 

          He still maintained his elegant unfathomable smile.  I pushed him and continued to mislead him.  "Quickly go, I see you have the look of good fortune and good luck.  Maybe when you go out this door, you will find a virgin to experience and nowadays virgins are scarce.  Nowadays, it is also hard for men to find virgins unless you go to kindergartens and I understand your bitterness."

          "Fang Liang Liang."  Kang Zixian suddenly called out my name.

          "Ah?"

          "Is it time to take your medicine?"

          "Medicine?"  I thought he was talking about my fever medicine and after thinking for a while, it seemed that I have not taken my medicine yet.  Raising my hand to feel my forehead, I was still feverish, hot enough to fry an egg and hastened to say.   "Yes…ah, so feverish that I'm confused, I've not taken my medicine.  Now I'll take it."

          Basically, I had accomplished my purpose, I decided to take my medicine.  In a fluster, I unwrapped two tablets of medicine and was about to swallow them when Kang Zixian reminded me from behind.  "Medicine cannot be taken on an empty stomach.  Eat something first."

          I was helplessly stirring the cold porridge, with an expression of despair, looked back at him.  After thinking for a while, today he had destroyed my spirit but he still had done something for me, right?

          Not waiting for me to speak, he frowned and asked.  "Just eating that?"

          "Right."  I nodded my head in misery.  "Other than this, I can only catch cockroaches as food."

          I was feeling remorseful and did not expect I would be in such a pitiful situation.

          "Fortunately, the cockroaches in my house are very fat, so big that their protein level is very high."  I raised up my thumb to show him for comparison.

          Kang Zixian was probably disgusted with me, his eyebrows knitted deeper.  "How many days have you not eaten?"

          "It's okay…..only for two days."

          I was just about to ask him to go out and buy me some hot food when he stood up and said.  "Go back and lie down.  I'll be back."

          This time, I stood up obediently and walked towards the bedroom.

          "Wait."  He suddenly stopped me.

          "Give me the key."  He held out his hand.

          "Why?"  I did not understand.

          "From your previous record, I think you will most likely to…..deliberately sleep until dawn and even the doorbell will not be able to wake you up."  His words were full of mirth, suggesting that from my past records, most of my actions were deceits.

          "Ya, you found out!"  I gave a blatantly surprised look. 

          Kang Zixian looked at me, his eyes seemed to be holding a helpless smile.

          But the sky would be my witness as I testified that I, Fang Liang Liang, except that my intestines had a few more bends than other people, this time I really did not harbor any tricky ideas.  Did I really need to do this, to trick him to leave my house?  With my wisdom and wits, I had completely cut off his wishful thinking of me.  Did I need to do this again and again?

          But now I had no more strength to bicker and argue with him.  Just now I had grumbled and my mouth is dry and thirsty.  I need to lie down to rest and appease my injured body and soul. 

          This man is too beautiful, too prickly to my eyes.  I pointed to the keys on top of the coffee table, yawned and walked into my bedroom to continue my sleep.

          The lights were turned off and curtains covered the blurred bustling of the night.  The room was in darkness without a shadow of light but my eyes were round and wide opened, perhaps I had slept too much during the day, I was tossing and turning and could not sleep.

          My mind was burning with the handsome face of Kang Zixian but was unable to fathom what he was thinking.

          In the dark night, his ghostly face was holding on to me and I realized that at the bottom of my heart, I lacked confidence.

          I was acquainted with this person for only a week and according to reason, we should only be familiar with each other.  But why did he come to my house, and…..and also run errands for me, buying food for me?

          I really could not deceive myself that he was here to do charity.  Nowadays, rich men who do charity can be said to be same as the scarcity of the ape-men.  Most rich men who do charity would only do for their mistress or lover and could not be trusted.

          I was wondering why Kang Zixian came here, tonight?  Visit the sick?  Not likely.  He and I had a grudge.  He was not so kind-hearted nor had leisure time.

          Was it…..he thought I was a casual woman and looked for me to***a night?

          Thinking up to here, a picture began to form in my mind.  Deep in a quiet jungle, a happy carefree little wild hare was lying in the sun, suddenly 'pung' a gunshot pierced through the air.  The four limbs of the hare twitched and then a man started to peel off the hare's skin, his mouth opened showing white fangs which were long and sharp.  His body twisted and changed into a beast.  He smiled into the camera and said.  "Now being an animal is difficult, being a beast is even more difficult.  To reverse and eat meat again, one has first to change to resemble each kind of individual, survival pressure is very great."

          The scene was extremely terrifying, comparable to a horror film.  I bounced up on the bed and wiped the cold sweat from my forehead.

          Really, I could not have such bad luck meeting a beast looking for a one night stand…..or the kind, acting morally better than others, right?

          In my mind, two voices had emerged, arguing with each other.

          ”Can it be?"

          "Cannot be…."

          "Can it be?"

          "Cannot be…."  My hand twisted the quilt in contemplation.  Then I had a thought, Kang Zixian would not be bothered if I was a lesbian or not.  It would be fine as long as I was a woman.

          I shrunk into a ball, trapped in great fear.  This time, there were slight movements coming from the living room.  Someone was opening the door, the pupils in my eyes opened wide.  Then a tall broad-shouldered man carrying a plastic bag came in and my eyes became wider.  I looked at him from the darkness of my room, monitoring the person's every move in the living room.

          I subconsciously lay down, closed my eye tightly and my heartbeat suddenly began to soar.  Kang Zixian came towards the bedroom, probably with the intention to wake me up. 

          I was completely awake.  I, Fang Liang Liang was never afraid of anything but was only afraid of beasts.

          Kang Zixian stood at the door and knocked on the door.   A robust voice in the night, I actually could hear a trace of gentleness.  "Wake up already?  Get up and eat something before you sleep."

          I did not move, continued to sleep.  I thought that if I pretended to sleep, he would consider his task was completed and would leave.

          But I was wrong.  Kang Zixian did not leave but quietly walked into my room and stood beside my bed.  And then I felt the boiling blood in my body surged towards my forehead because he gently lay his hand on my forehead, a slightly rough touch which was completely different from a woman's touch, his hands were thick and large.

          I subconsciously clenched the quilt.  If the hands were to move lower another inch then I was ready to go on the defensive.

          But he quickly put down his hand and whispered.  "Wake up, eat something and we will go to the hospital.  Your temperature is too high."

          Going to the hospital meant I had to take injections.  My heart was in conflict, I abruptly opened my eyes and refused.  "I will not go to the hospital."

          His eyes were smiling.  "You are already awake.  Why?  Enjoying the feeling of someone pampering you?"

          He turned on the table lamp.  Holding onto the quilt, I awkwardly sat up and said.  "You are really not that kind."

          "Oh.  I forgot you have always been like the dog that bites Lu Dongbin.  Put on a coat and come out to eat.  The porridge is getting cold."  He walked out of the room.

          He took the initiative to leave the room, letting me relax mentally and unable to control myself, I hurled back.  "I'm not the dog and neither are you Lu Dongbin."

          He stood at the door, turned around, with an evil smile, said.  "Right.  You're not a dog, you're a cockroach."

          "Ah!……"  I was so angry, I screamed.  I could hear a muffled laugh coming from the living room outside.  In the quiet of the night, the sound was exceptionally clear.

          When I sat down together with Kang Zixian on the same sofa, shoulders side by side, eating together, I felt that this night was extremely strange and he obviously was also thinking the same too.  He looked at me while he was eating and asked.  "Delicious?"

          I sweated while I ate.  "Delicious.  If this is a spicy duck head, it would be even better."

          "Spicy duck head?  You mean you want to eat duck head?"  He looked incredulous.

          "What do you know?  Every part of a duck is a treasure.  There is nothing that cannot be eaten and duck sausages are more delicious."

          "Don’t know whether Aunt Lian is able to cook that.  I'll ask another day."

          "Who cooked this porridge?"

          "Aunt Lian, the old aunt in my home.  I am used to her cooking."

          "Yo, you have let me taste your home chef's cooking.  Kang Zixian, did your character suffer any major provocation?  Now you are starting to engage in humanitarian relief."  I could not help but ridicule him.

          He stuffed a piece of cauliflower into his mouth, glanced at me with his eyes flashing a faint smile.  "My character is very good, thanks for your concern."

          The pear porridge that Kang Zixian's old aunt cooked was really very delicious.  The porridge was light with the sweet light taste of pear, refreshing and easy on the mouth.  Compared to the porridge that was bought at the street shops, this was so much more delicious.  Although I had a poor appetite, I still could gorge down all the porridge.

          Compared to my hopeless table manners, Kang Zixian was really following the good manners protocol by eating slowly.  I know that rich people placed importance on etiquette when they eat and pay attention to the education of table manners.  The wealthy people's children, no matter how hungry they were, it was expected that they would not show distasteful table manners, which would adversely affect the whole family's face*. (Reputation).

          This so-called saving face would be initiated from the time when they were babies.

          After eating my porridge until nothing was left in the bowl, I still felt empty.  Going without food for two days, my stomach was empty and my body seemed to float.

          Holding the empty bowl with both my hands, I stared at his bowl of beef with vegetables and sliced pork, Kang Zixian said.  "Don’t look.  You will not be able to digest these."

          It was true but I still wanted to contradict him.  I proudly lifted my chin and said.  "Your food doesn’t seem delicious."

          "Yes.  People who cannot eat the grapes will always say the grapes are sour."

          Staring at his molar teeth, I felt I could not stand such a man.  In the past, although Fu Chen loved to preach, every time I became rude, unreasonable and behaved like a rogue and unable to control me, he would just smile and indulge me.  At the most, he would give me a few pats on my head as a lesson and usually in the end, he would give in to me.

          But this Kang Zixian obviously had superior IQ, in comparison and was a bit higher than Dr. Fu.  The time when I was Fu Chen, I would bully him but now feng shui had changed and I was clearly experiencing the agony of being bullied.

          I wiped my mouth and said.  "Tonight, what you have done will be compensation for your past mistakes.  You can leave after eating."

          "Compensation for past mistakes?"  Kang Zixian questioned.  After eating, he put down his lunch box, pulled out a paper towel to wipe his mouth and also pulled out another piece, handed it to me.  His every move simply implied that my home was his own home.

          "I would love to know where I was wrong."  He crossed his legs, his hands overlapped, leisurely waiting for my answer.

          "Do you still have to ask?  I became sick because you angered me.  For five years I have not been sick.  Once I bumped into you, I fell sick.  Isn't this because of you?"       

          "So, you left Meise because of me?"

          "I am sure you are not the usual type of men that think their love is reciprocated."

          "Why?"

          "Because…..because I am disgusted with it.  In that place, I cannot be the top hostess and another place had offered me the position of a top hostess."

          "You only worked in Meise for two weeks."

          I was startled.  This man cannot be disregarded, he had checked up my account* (data) in Meise.

          The more I say, the more loopholes would be exposed, I would not be able to deceive him anymore.  I had become muddle-headed, why had I, unwittingly, told him so much?

          I waved my hand and impatiently said.  "If you're going to check accounts, you can look for other people's accounts.  I'm going back to sleep.  Close the door when you leave."

          I stretched my waist and stood up.  As a result, I felt dizzy and my body swayed a little.

          Kang Zixian sat on the sofa, not moving.  "No.  You still have to go to the hospital."

          "I'm not going.  I hate injections."

          Kang Zixian pursed his lips and did not speak.

          *Ling, ling, ling*.  The phone rang loudly.  I lifted my head and glanced at the clock, only eight o'clock in the States.  So early in the morning, why did the old man and old lady called to bother me?

          Actually, it was Fei Ge calling from Osaka.

          I picked up the phone and answered softly.  "Hi."  Immediately, the sound at the other end bombarded over like three hundred ducks screaming, almost like three hundred tons of explosives going off, drove me back onto the sofa.

          "Ah, ah, ah, ah.....Liang Liang, Liang Liang……We won! ! !  Heavens! ! !   I, Ah Fei is no longer a competition's poison……"

          "Fei Ge, congrats……."  I deeply understood Fei Ge's great excitement at this time, thinking to congratulate her, this guy had did not pay me any attention me and did not even give me the opportunity to interrupt her.

          "Liang Liang, Liang Liang…….You f*** now do not interrupt. International long-distance calls are so, f*** expensive.  We cannot let little Japan earn our money or else I will be sad and I will not be able to sleep.  Ah Liang Liang, Liang Liang……we don’t talk nonsense, okay?  Talking nonsense means more phone charges and also we cannot let little Japan earn more, Liang Liang you agree or not?"

          I was speechless.  From the beginning to end I just said two words, when did I talk nonsense?  You were the one talking nonsense, right?

          This silly sister was my friend.  My head ached.

          The sound quality of the phone was really powerful.  The donkey whisper from the other end of the phone crossed over the East China Sea to become a loud donkey roar on this end.  I gave Kang Zixian who was sitting beside me an awkward smile.

          I decided to answer the call from my room.

          "Fei Ge, wait for me to go back to my room……"

          "Liang Liang, Liang Liang………you f*** don’t you understand Chinese, then I'll speak English.  Listen, listen to me, no…interrupt, interrupt no happy.  Okay, that is all I know.  The following, I'll talk in Chinese……..Liang Liang, we won!  Champion!  The process was soul-stirring and wailed like ghosts and howl like wolves* (To cry loudly and mournfully).   At first, we lost two competitions, the Russians ladies team were smug, began to talk about celebrating with a sashimi meal……."

          I dug my ears, could not hold back and asked.  "Fei Ge, you can understand Russian?"

          "Liang Liang, Liang Liang you are not obedient today.  Don’t you know international calls are expensive?  We must not let little Japan earn our money or else I will be sad and I will not be able to sleep.  Liang Liang, Liang Liang, we don’t talk any more nonsense, okay?"

          "Okay, I'm choking with emotion.  I won't talk nonsense."

          "Oh, no more talking nonsense.  Where did I stop just now?  Oh yes, talking about the Russian ladies team……their win was not confirmed and already talking about eating a sashimi meal.  Aiyo, Liang Liang, Liang Liang, you don’t know, our coach thought that I, f*** will be the competition's poison.  His face turned green and wanted to change me to the next competition.  Liang Liang, it was not easy for me, I had to give our coach a piece of my mind.  I told him that if he changes me, Jiang Ge Fei, to the next competition, I will go back and sell vegetables.  If he does not let me finish the competition, this old woman will not play with him, this old woman will sell vegetables to repay the kindness to my motherland."

          I nodded my head and felt bitterness in my heart.  Why humiliate this child?  She is a good country-level athlete.  To change her occupation to be a vegetable seller and farmer, anyhow she should have a little ambition, to sell pork, maybe she could be featured on the Tencent*.  (Tencent is a large internet company which hosts a network platform for user communication, information, entertainment, and finance.)

          I glanced sideways at Kang Zixian, his eyes showing laughter, enjoying himself listening in to the call.

          I gave him a smile, clutching and pointing to the phone and then pointed to my temple, hinting to Kang Zixian that the mentality of the child on the phone was not so good.  He is not to laugh at her or discriminate her lest her illness will become more serious.

          Kang Zixian was still laughing and Fei Ge was still talking.

          "Liang Liang, you tell me, aren't I fighting with my back to the river? *( Fight with the aim to win or lose).  If I lose, I will go home to sell vegetables and my mother will definitely chop me.  When it was intermission I told my sisters if we lose, your family's vegetables will be supplied by me and if you do not want me to be a vegetable farmer, we must fight desperately to lose and not win……"

          "Only lose not win?"  I swallowed and with difficulty asked.  "Fei Ge, do you really want to sell vegetables?"

          "Oh, oh, my mistake.  I am too excited.  See, didn’t I tell you not to f*** interrupt?  Didn’t I tell you?  We must not let little Japan earn from our long-distance call…….."

          "Ge….Ge…."  I had helped her to save money and had omitted the word 'Fei'.  "Quick, what happened next?  I did not watch live."

          "What happened next?  We won, we beat that Russian ladies team into a state of falling flowers, flowing water*………" (Being utterly defeated). 

          "Ge, actually your ass is not small……"  I really could not hold back and whisper into the phone.  But Fei Gei was in high spirits and could not hear.

          At the side, Kang Zixian finally could not hold back his laughter, hand on his cheek, pressing his lips together, trying hard not to laugh.

          I glared at him.

4