Chapter 17
4k 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          "Liang Liang, Liang Liang, I've to hang up.  The coach arranged for us to eat a celebration supper.  We will eat the Russian ladies team's sashimi.  Come, lastly, give a loud shout with Elder Sister:  F*** the game's poison!"

          Being infected by her happy mood, I ignored the presence of Kang Zixian and shouted happily into the microphone with Fei Ge saying:  F*** the game's poison!

          After hanging up the phone, my world finally returned to its original, recent stage.  Holding the phone I sat quietly and Kang Zixian was also sitting quietly in tacit understanding for a few seconds.  And then I cleared my throat and pointed to the photo on the wall.  "My….my lover.  Celebrity........my lover is a celebrity."

          I wonder whether Fei Ge who was far away in Japan after hearing me call her that, would she be able to eat her sashimi?

          He narrowed his eyes at me and feeling unconfident I did not dare to return his look.

          "Competition's poison?"  Kang Zixian smiled slightly.  It seemed that the others were irrelevant, only this was the most interesting part.

          "This is a long story."  I slightly leaned towards him and decided to do my best to explain, to wash away Fei Ge's grievances.

          I said.  "My…..lover, that is Fei Ge…..there was a period of time that was particularly strange.  Her condition was not good, probably it started in the Spring of last year.  As long as she played in the game, either big or small, the result would always be a loss.  For example, a game that was basically a loss, as long as she played in the game, their team would definitely win, it was very weird.  Fei Ge was very miserable and that time when her coach saw her, it was just like looking at****.   That nearly made her kneel down and her leader was more worried about her.  That time, the Brazilian team had continued with two terms of championship.  Every day, Fei Ge would dream of giving herself wholly to the Brazil team but it was not as she wished.  No one had ever heard of Asians becoming South Americans, so Fei Ge was extremely sad, so much so, that she was almost at the brink of depression."

          Kang Zixian looked at me with a gentle smile and he did not have the normal cold expression of the past.  At this moment, the easygoing expression on his face reminded me that he is a very good listener.

          "This time, Fei Ge is really like a salted fish turning alive*" (Something dead that came back to life or a hopeless situation that made a miraculous recovery, ).  I leaned back against the sofa, looked up at the ceiling and said.  "In fact, Fei Ge coming home to sell vegetables would be a good move too.  I really have had enough of takeaways."

          "You often eat takeaways?"  Kang Zixian asked gently.

          "Yes, I don’t have time to buy groceries and I don’t know how to cook."

          "Fang Liang Liang."

          "Ah?"

          "I wanted to ask you.  When I was looking for a bowl just now, I saw a mushroom in the crack of your cupboard smiling at me."

          Shameful…ah, how shameful can this be?

          I looked at the ceiling in melancholy, feeling the blood boil in my body and my forehead felt even hotter.  I stood up in silence and pretended to yawn.  "It's very late…. I'm sleepy.   I want to sleep."

          Kang Zixian was not surprised.  He showed a smile and looked at me with his lips raised with a touch of mockery.  "Go ahead.  When you wake up, you'll have mushroom porridge to eat."

          I stroked my forehead and grinned at him.

          He stood there innocently with a brilliant smile. "Self-production for home consumption."

          "Ah ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !........Kang Zixian, I hate you, I hate you to death ! ! ! !  You, you, you, you, quickly disappear from my sight otherwise……otherwise……or else……I really cannot do anything to you……Ah, ah, ah, ah! ! !   I'm so furious!  I don’t want to see you anymore." 

I held my head screaming continuously and flew back into bed.  Covering myself with the quilt, I tried to nurse my injured heart.

          I felt so angry that I wanted to scratch the wall and in the end, Kang Zixian came into the room while holding a glass of water and medicine.  He looked at the near-crazy me and said softly.  "Feeling better after venting your anger?  If you don’t want to go to the hospital, you'd better take this medicine."

          I shot a glance at him as he showed his false feelings.  My lungs were about to explode and twisting the quilt, I said.  "Normally, one should first give medicine then reward with candy." 

          "I'm giving you medicine, not candy."  He held the glass of water in front of my face and in his palm were a few tablets of medicine.  "Take this then go to sleep."

          I did not move and coldly looked at him.  "I beg you, Kang Zixian, can you please maintain your bad character image and don’t suddenly treat me so nicely?"

          He smiled slightly.  "There are times that I like to be a nice person."  He said in a pleasant voice.  "You're lucky, this is the right time.  Quick, take this."

          "You have intermittent schizophrenia.  I see you need to take medicine."  I glared at him, grabbed the pills and water then with a gulp, I swallowed down the medicine.  Then I quickly lay down on the bed and covered myself fully with the quilt to shut his face out of my sight.

          "I'll be outside.  If you're not feeling well, call me."

          I closed my eyes and was silent for a few seconds.  Then suddenly feeling something was not right, I quickly sat up in bed.  Trembling, I asked.  "You, what did you say?  Where will you be tonight?"

          He had walked to the door.  "I will be in the living room."

          My mind went blank and naively asked.  "Your living room?"

          He pointed to the outside and said naturally.  "Your living room."

          "What do you want to do?"  Instantly I felt strained and clutching the quilt to my chest just like the cowardly girl in a film, I shrank back.

          "Don’t worry.  I have not come to that stage of hunger where I am not selective as to what I want to eat."  Kang Zixian frowned and coldly looked at me.  "My purpose is to help, that's all." 

          "........Even though all along you didn’t know how to write the two words 'thank you'."  With his back towards me, his words floated in the room with a tinge of sadness.  I sat up in bed and stared at him in anger with a feeling of uneasiness.  For a moment, I was lost for words.

          After settling the inner conflict in my mind, I decided to believe him.  It was not because I was moved by him but because during the first two days when I was surrounded with loneliness, emptiness, and despair, someone came to my door and brought some warmth into my lonely life.

          This night was really blissful.  I sweated, woke up and went back to sleep again.  Later, when I really could not sleep, I thought of only one person......the man outside keeping watch over me.  In my heart, I finally had the feeling of being significant.

          In the middle of the night, when I woke up, I got out of bed and tiptoed to the door of the bedroom.  Secretly I looked out into the living room and saw Kang Zixian sleeping on the sofa.  Such a big man like him was shrunk on the sofa covered with his own coat with eyebrows nicely groomed.......  He must be very tired so he fell asleep.

          The nights in Spring were always chilly.  I could not restrain myself and took out a blanket from the cupboard to cover him with it.  This can be considered as my silent 'thank you' to him.

          Later I fell into deep sleep again and when I woke up again drowsily, the day seemed to have brightened.  When I felt someone's hand gently covering my forehead, I narrowed my eyes to look into the dawn and at the gentle and troubled face......such a beautiful vision.  I thought I was having a beautiful dream that could only belong to the morning.  A peaceful feeling slowly flowed into my heart and closing my eyes, I sank back into a deep sleep.

          Later, I got up from bed with my hair in a mess and felt a lot better.  I took my temperature….38 degrees, my fever had gone down and I felt my energy had substantially returned.  After brushing my teeth and cleaning my face, I opened the bedroom door and heard Kang Zixian talking on the phone.  He is still here.

          "…..I have to trouble you, Auntie Liang.  Yes, light porridge will do.  Just like yesterday's will be good enough and with some side dishes."

          "No, just a friend."

          "Meet who?  ……No, grandmother, I don’t want to.  This is a waste of time and I'm not happy."

          "This is entirely two different matters…...Oh, I've got a call coming in……Okay, I will come back to have lunch with you.  See you at noon."

          Of course, Kang Zixian was not taking any incoming call.  I reckoned that he did not want to go on that arranged blind date and also did not want to argue with his grandmother.  He hung up his call, with an unhappy expression then turned around and he happened to see me leaning lazily against the door frame with my ears erect, eagerly eavesdropping on his conversation.

          He looked at me.  The humble manner that he used when speaking to his grandmother had vanished and he had resumed to his normal self.  He nodded slightly.  "Good Morning."

          When I looked up at the clock, it was really early as it was only eight o'clock.  I laughed and waved my hand.  "Good morning.  It's not early, time for you to go to work."

          "How are you feeling?  Do you need to go to the hospital?"  He asked avoiding the topic.

          I shook my head like a drum rattle and was delighted to find the dizziness was not strong.  "No, no, no.  I feel very good.  My body is strong and energetic."

          Without expression, he corrected me.  "You have not eaten yet."

          "Didn’t we eat last night?  I'm fine, really fine."  I pulled myself together and was determined to put in all my effort to drive this man away.

          I giggled and walked forward to boldly pat him on his shoulder.  "You're good, brother.  You actually help people and finally look like a good man.  Congratulations."

          With arrow sharp eyes, Kang Zixian watched me as I clumsily tried to act out our brotherhood drama.  I pretended not to hear and continued to put on an exaggerated act.

          "Is your Grandmother missing you?'  Tsk, tsk….the love between grandparents and grandchildren is really touching.  Your grandmother is waiting for you, this little Red Riding Hood, so you should quickly go back, go back."  I pushed him.

          "I told them to cook some porridge."  Then he pointed to the bag of warm food on the coffee table.  "There is some bread and soya milk.  Before I come back, put some food in your tummy first."

          I was silent.

          The soy milk was very fragrant, the bread was very fresh and the man in front of me was pleasing to the eye and also caring….he was perfect. 

I pursed my lips and blinked my eyes several times, thinking of this big and fatal problem:  Kang Zixian is treating me too nicely.  Does this look like he is looking for a one-night stand?  Even if he is looking for more than a one-night stand, he can’t be so considerate!

          To treat me badly is normal but treating me so good is definitely abnormal!!

          I remember learning criminal psychology in school and this subject was very advanced.  It summarized the criminal pattern to predict a serial killer's method.  And from the past pattern, one is able to draw up the suspect's profile and basically, it is pretty close.

          In fact, criminal psychologists are not happy gods.  They could deduce the direction of unsolved cases because the criminals were lazy.  Perverted killers usually use perverted methods and when it is time for them to kill, they would be lazy.  Today gunmen have to go to black markets to get guns and at the same time, they are also at risk of being slaughtered by brothers in the black market.  Tomorrow, to chop up someone, one has to get a knife for killing pigs because the knife for killing pigs is heavy.  The day after, to bury people alive, the gang leader has to shovel the wasteland to dig a pit but the person has yet to be killed.  Maybe he is so tired that he has an extreme brain hemorrhage and that pit is to be for his own use.  So why not just let all the people stop breathing?  Why think of so many ways to kill when one can directly use DDVP which is easy to carry, it saves money and it is ensured that the poison will kill.  And the good thing is, only the Chinese consumers can enjoy this as the foreign perverted killers have to fly all the way to China to buy it.  So being a perverted killer is also not easy.

          From the serial criminal fixed killing pattern, it could be seen that generally all things have a fixed pattern and it would not easily change.  And once there is a change, then it would definitely be brain variation affected by an alien invasion, in short, it is not normal.

          From a professional point of view with repeated analysis, Kang Zixian indeed is treating me a lot different.  To say that blind dates are a waste of time but he is willing to take the time to run back and forth to send me food which is only just a bowl of porridge….. one who has always been mean and sharp is now occasionally familiar and easygoing.......isn't his feelings towards me obviously clear?

          If in the beginning, I still had doubts but now I am thoroughly sure.

          I felt scared from inside out and he had already chased up to my door......do I have any way out of this?

          Immediately I made a decision.

2