Chapter 24
4k 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          I was furious.  Even if bystanders did not understand but I am the party involved so I understood.  This was a warning from Kang Zixian!

          His full meaning was:  Do not think that if you go left and I go right, we will never meet.  Life is just like a flower bed.  Even if you are as skillful as the Sun Monkey* you may not be able to flee from the Buddha's Five Finger Mountain*

         (Sun Wukong is the smart monkey character in 'Journey to the West')

         (Buddha's Five Finger Mountain is the palm of Buddha and his fingers are the five mountains which Sun Monkey was originally confined because of the chaos he created in Heaven due to his willfulness.)

          When did you have the right to teach me?

          I was unhappy but still did not say anything.  After all, I was the ungrateful one to run away from him, letting his pigeons fly away* (Stood somebody up), and it was my fault.  But the rebellious streak in me still had to jump up and cause trouble.  I, Fang Liang Liang, still would not bow down to this evil!   I, definitely, would not be the Sun Monkey in the palm of Kang Zixian!

          I, Fang Liang Liang as the Black Cat Sheriff, support the struggles for justice!  I will have my freedom! ! ! !

          Kang Zixian looked at Teacher Ye and apologetically said.  "I'm sorry, Miss Ye.  Today, something happened and I could not help but preach.  But then, nowadays, children don’t listen to us, the elderly people's advice, isn't it?"

          Teacher Ye blushed and waved her hand.  "Mr. Kang is right, now the students are an impetuous lot.  Mr. Kang is too modest, you are actually not old…..really."

          Kang Zixian smiled at her.  That modest smile shot into my eyes and it was more brilliant than the sun.

          Even my toes could feel it.  This man's mood had turned from gloomy to sunny and in his happy mood, his smile would naturally dazzle.

          The two of them blatantly made people nauseous and I have had enough......enough of him acting superior in front of me and I did not want to be a jumping beam clown every time.  So, let him ridicule since I could not stop him.

          I was tired of fighting this war and in the end, like in the past every time, I would not get any advantage over him.  Obviously when I thought I could win but at the last minute, I would always fail.  Perhaps it was really fated but then it was not necessarily so.  Next time, tactfully I would point the way out to him.

          I endured the anger in my heart and said to Teacher Ye.  "Teacher Ye, I don’t want to bother you and Uncle on your date.  I will go home first.  Goodbye!"

          Just as I turned around and wanted to run off, Jiang Li who was silent all this while suddenly opened his mouth from behind me.  "I'll go with you!"

          Heavenly music!

          I was shocked and pleasantly surprised.  I glanced at the expressionless face of Jiang Li as he nodded his head at Teacher Ye and said.  "Teacher Ye, goodbye."

          I tossed my enemy Kang Zixian outside of the nine heavenly clouds* and happily carried my bag as I walked away briskly together with Jiang Li.

          (Outside the nine heavenly clouds means unimaginably far away),

          As for the gloomy face of my enemy behind me, I think, he would be with his big wet nurse and I would catch my little brat.  We will never contact each other which would be good for both of us and I felt terribly happy.

          I and Jiang Li had been walking in silence for three to four minutes and in between, I secretly looked behind.  Kang Zixian had already driven away in his silver Mercedes Benz with Teacher Ye.  I went to the right, he went to the left and secretly I laughed.  How could there be so many flower beds in life? Occasionally, going round in circles, we may meet once but eventually, there would also be a time when we would brush past each other's shoulders and part ways.  In life, most of the shapes are not round and people who walk in straight lines will never intersect. 

          I shook my head to throw out Kang Zixian from my mind and concentrated on the arrogant young man in front of me which was more important.

          But just as I was about to speak, this kid turned his head sideways towards to look at me.  With eyebrows slightly raised, he opened his mouth and gave me a fright.

          "Ai, do you know that guy?"

          In that instant, I was tongue-tied.  This kid's astuteness and insight were frightening.  It was only for a moment and I resumed my cover as a silly big sister to act with my best skill……playing stupid.

          "Ah?  Jiang Li, are you talking about that fierce, handsome uncle?  Oh God, that uncle looks very fierce, I'm scared.  How did Teacher Ye find such an uncle as a boyfriend?  Don’t you agree?"

          I smiled mischievously.  My face was not blushing, my heart was beating normally and I talked a lot of bad things about Kang Zixian.  Actually, I was a little scared and if Kang Zixian knew I was gossiping about him behind his back, according to his gloomy, love-to-revenge personality, it could be concluded that the last one to get chewed on, would be me.

          The calm and collected Jiang Li threw a glance sideways at the silly me and continued to walk coolly forward.  That young back view gave me a feeling of helplessness.

          I deeply doubted myself, a 24-year-old woman to captivate an 18-year-old boy, in fact, was just like captivating a gay which is almost an impossible task to complete.

          But I could not give up.  The last time in Meise, I was defeated and that was enough to put me to shame and this time I could not end up empty-handed.

          I bounced and jumped, shouting like a noisy sparrow.  "Jiang Li, Jiang Li, today, there are a lot of questions that I don’t know, can you help me?  I'll treat you to a delicious meal, is that alright?"

          In order to reverse my image that had just fallen, I put on a pitiful expression.  "There are a lot of questions I don’t know how to do and I also have a lot of homework……."

          Jiang Li turned sideways coolly and said unkindly.  "You didn’t have time to do your homework but you still had time to write this?"

          This sharp bastard was naturally referring to that love letter.  I laughed then winked at him and said.  "So, can you see my sincerity?"

          Jiang Li who could not beat my thick skin glanced at me helplessly then turned around and walked away.

          When I saw he was not paying me attention, I felt anxious and enduring a belly full of disgust, I pretended to be like dream girl Tian Ni Ni* (A famous Chinese actress) and called after him. 

          "…… Jiang Brother!  Wait for me!……"

          Jiang Li's back view trembled in the wind.  He stopped and turned his head in surprise to stare at me with his beautiful eyes.  "Jiang Brother?"

          Being questioned by such a young and tender man, this old aunt had a moment of guilt while my heart rate speeded up a little.  I swallowed my saliva and laughed.  "If I don’t call you brother,  shall I call you Jiang Sister?"

          The always cool Jiang Li was unable to restrain himself and his mouth lifted slightly up.  In the breeze, he looked at me helplessly.  I was captivated by that beautiful picture he made...... as if time had rolled backward....... as if I was eighteen-years-old........as if I could wantonly squander youth……

          That day, the icy snow maiden Jiang Li showed mercy which he had never exhibited before.  Under my strongly worded praise, he showed me mercy by sitting down at the window of a cake shop and patiently helped me with my homework.

          But I still angered him and the reason was very simple.  I was born to handle weapons like a martial arts witch but did not understand those profound mathematics, physics, and chemistry.

          Because I did not understand, so I became sleepy and hungry.  While listening to him half-heartedly as his words drifted in this ear and out the other ear, my hands were busy stuffing cake into my mouth.

          He was seriously explaining the questions and I was seriously eating the cakes.

          My attitude eventually incurred the wrath of Jiang Li.  Halfway through the question when he saw my mouth was opened wide ready to receive the fourth piece of chocolate cake, he snapped down the pen on the table.  Lifting his brows, he angrily said.  "Hey, are you a rice pot*?"

          (Rice pot means someone who eats a lot, a glutton.)

          When I saw he was angry, I quickly put down the cake and pushed the fragrant cake away in disgust.  I twitched my mouth and complained.  "It tastes terrible!  I am not eating anymore!"

          There was still a trace of anger on his face and I smiled at him and said.  "I'm not eating anymore.  Next time, we'll go to another place.  Oh, how do you do this step?  I don’t understand."  I diverted his attention.

          Jiang Li continued to explain the questions.  I opened my eyes wide to listen to him then my vision started to blur and I began to feel drowsy.

          Five minutes later, covering my face, I secretly yawned for the fifth time and Jiang Li snapped down the pen on the table.  This time his two eyebrows knitted together and he felt even angrier than before.

          "Are you sleepy?"

          Feeling his anger, my whole body quivered and I waved my hands.  "No, no….."

          However, it was too late as Jiang Li had begun to pack up his things.  His face had resumed his usual coldness as he stood up.  "The sky is already dark, it's time for you to go home."

          I sat there with regret with my intestines tying into knots.  With his back towards me, he paused, then turned his head around and gave me a cold look.  His eyes flashed a trace of impatience.  "Don’t sleep late tomorrow.  Go to school early to copy the assignments."

          He turned around and before he left, I heard him muttering lightly to himself.  His words floated to my ears.  "Stupid......."

          With years of experience, I detected something and suddenly I felt extremely happy.

          The next morning, I did dare to laze in bed and rushed to the school to copy the assignments.  It was worth celebrating because I copied from Jiang Li's homework!

          I felt my whole body filled with strength.  Dawn had arrived!  Early this morning, I had many times turned to look at Jiang Li brazenly sending him autumn's spinach.* (Sending him love feelings in secret).  He hated it till his teeth itched and repeatedly gave me sharp glances to send me silent warnings.  Now, I understand that this boy is not as cold as I had originally perceived and so I had to continue with my sticky strategy.

          This particular morning, Dong Zi wearing his school uniform and carrying his school bag was led by Director Chu to Class 4. 

          Ai Dong's formerly dyed red wine hair is now black in color and his hair is cut short.  Like an obedient and a well-behaved child, he kept both arms straight at the sides and bowed his head like a compliant high school student. 

          "Hello everyone.  My name is Ai Dong, this year I'm 18 years old.  I hope we can be friends."

          Listening to this guy's self-introduction, I secretly giggled as I sat below, covering my face.  This newbie was hard-selling himself as an 18 years-old, telling everyone that here there is no silver only three hundred taels.* (To reveal something that is supposed to be hidden or a secret.  Taels is the term used for weight measurement.  One tael equals to 50gms).

          I grinned as I watched Dong Zi walked down the podium, accidentally turned my head sideways and saw Jiang Li looking towards me.  Quickly, I lowered my head and pretended to read my book. 

          This day, I and Dong Zi did not exchange a word.  In between lessons, he went to the toilet and passed by my table.  We made brief eye contact and he rested his eyes on my pushed-up chest.

          Then he froze.  Fortunately, this guy was still smart enough and when my mouth twitched, he quickly walked away.

          He was sitting at the side, in front of Jiang Li, making it easier to get close to him.

          Lao Tan had prepared meticulously.  He was afraid Jiang Li may not be interested in me and also arranged for Dong Zi get close to him as a friend.  After all, it is much easier and it takes a shorter time for a male to approach Jiang Li.

          Outside the sky was gloomy and densely covered with dark clouds.  The weather forecast for that evening was heavy rain and I was a bit annoyed.  My favorite physical education class had also been changed to a self-study class.  The poor kids had to do their homework and I was bored as Song Chang Ran, the classmate sitting next to me, is a well-behaved child.  Every day she would only read and do her homework. 

          I looked at Jiang Li sitting at the side seriously concentrating on studying with his head bowed and Dong Zi, who was sitting in front of Jiang Li, was sleeping on his table.  Unable to control myself any longer, I also fell asleep.

          This time I slept very deeply and I was awakened by Song Chang Ran.  I woke up sleepily. Most of the kids in the class had gone and Jiang Li's place was empty.  Song Chang Ran also left after waving goodbye to me. 

          Dong Zi sat up, turned to glance at me and continued to sit in his place.

          I guessed he had something to say to me, so I sat quietly in my place until almost everyone had gone.  I packed up my bag and Dong Zi left first while I followed behind.  Together we walked out. 

          As forecasted, the sky brought torrential rain and on the campus, people were sparse.  Some kids, without raingear, were caught in the rain and instantly became drowned chicken.  

          Taking advantage that no one was around, I and Dong Zi, stood shoulder to shoulder and started to talk softly.  However, the topic was not Jiang Li.

          I could see Dong Zi was feeling miserable and worried the whole day.  He looked at me hesitantly like a frightened little rabbit. 

          "Senior Sister…..I….."

          "What is wrong with you?  What is it?"

          "I…..am afraid."

          "Why?  Deng Loong?"

          "I exposed the drug party in Meise when I was the backup agent.  He was called up to give his testimony and was interrogated for a long time.  He seems to have guessed the culprit was me and his men are looking for me everywhere.  I dare not even go home and I feel afraid to even walk on the streets……"

          I did not speak and walked in silence with Dong Zi.  The rain was very heavy, my sneakers were wet and muddy but I did not feel anything.

          I did not know how to comfort Dong Zi.

          Trembling, Dong Zi asked me.  "Senior Sister, I……will he hunts me down and kills me?  Will he pick my tendons and peel my skin?  I……I still have elders and young ones……that is my puppy, I don’t want anything to happen to me…….."

          With a heavy heart, I patted his shoulder and comforted him.  "Don’t think too much.  We are now living in a legal society.  He will not do anything to you and also his family had stopped their illegal dealings for many years.  Currently, he is also someone with social status and importance in A-city, he will not……."

          I tried my best to comfort Dong Zi and did not wish to see his moderate expression be distorted with worries.  His hand holding the umbrella was shivering and his trembling right hand was pointing to the side of the road outside the school.  His lips quivered as he said. "Kang…..Kang….."

          I was startled and followed the direction his hand was pointing.  Not far away, a casually dressed Kang Zixian with a straight face was getting out of his silver-colored Benz.  When he saw that we were looking at him, he started to stride towards us.

          At this very moment, his handsome face was as dark as the gloomy clouds in the sky and it made us trembled with fear.

          Dong Zi was hysterical as he talked to himself.  "How did Kang Zixian know we are here?!  How did he know?!  Then…..then Deng Loong certainly will know, he will definitely know!"

          Dong Zi was in chaos and frantically looked around.  "Deng Loong…..Deng Loong must be in the vicinity!"

          I was thrown into confusion by Dong Zi and Kang Zixian was fast approaching with ill intention.  My scalp was tingling and the next second, Dong Zi forcefully pulled me and shouted.  "Senior Sister, quick run! ! ! !   If you don’t run, your little life will be gone!……"

          "Ai, Ai….."  I weakly protested and my protests disappeared in the sound of thunder and rain.  I was inexplicably pulled along by Dong Zi.  My umbrella fell from my hand and I began to run like crazy in the rain.

          "Fang Liang Liang! ! ! !   Stop! ! ! !   Damn you…..Stop running! ! ! !"

          Kang Zixian roared behind me.

          Drenched in the rain like a drowning chicken, I looked back and suddenly sucked in a breath.  Kang Zixian was also running in the rain and his posture was powerful and strong.  He was about to catch up with us and with his attitude, he would not give up until he catches and kills me!

          My heart skipped a beat.  I seemed to be able to see my tragic future and my running pace became faster and faster.

          I broke free from Dong Zi's hand.  Like a desperate criminal caught up with another desperate criminal, Dong Zi was running furiously in the rain and I put up the last fight for my gray, dark future.

2