Chapter 29
3.9k 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          When Kang Zixian opened the door, I was squatting by the door near the wall with my chin propped up in my hands.  My eyes penetrate into the surrounding darkness, thinking of the shiny crispy chicken thighs.

          A bite of the chicken thigh would be so delicious!

          Unfortunately, in the middle of the night, those lovely chicken would be sleeping under their quilts whilst I am still awake with my eyes wide opened.

          I could not ignore my hunger but there was something more serious.  What am I doing, in the middle of the night, squatting in front of the man's door and shouting? ………

          Of course, all I wanted was to be vexatious, to rile up his anger so that he would not be at peace so as to greatly reduce his impression of me and to dampen his interest in me.

          But why do I think that I am foolish and why am I acting like a silly fool?

          "What's the matter?"  Kang Zixian was awakened by my antics and his voice sounded with a light lazy low tone above my head.  In the silent night, my body trembled slightly when I heard his voice.

          Feeling a little embarrassed, I continued to act like a ruffian, squatting and playing with my thumb while speaking in a roguish tone.  "Let me have the wallet.  I want to go out and buy chicken thighs.  I'm hungry."

          It could be my dog nose was too sensitive because once the words left my lips, I felt there was a hint of coquettishness in my words.  Afraid that he would misunderstand, quickly I twisted around and said.  "I mean, my wallet."

          It was late at night and my courage had also gone down a bit.  Then the words tumbled out of my mouth.  "…..Just like the old saying…..Gold nest or silver nest cannot be compared to one’s own dog's kennel* (There is no place like home).  Although here it is like the golden throne room, I can't sleep at ease and also I feel hungry or…….or else I can go back tomorrow and break the door lock.  I……"

          "Hungry?"  Kang Zixian, who was standing by the door, suddenly took a step forward.  I was stunned and I glared at him but he calmly sat down beside me.  Leaning against the wall, he turned around and looked at me with a smile.  "Are you a weasel?  In the middle of the night, you are still thinking about chicken thighs?  I think in the whole city, you are the only one."

          In the darkness of the night, under faint lights, I could see the captivating and breath-taking shine in his eyes. 

          With a slight smile at the corners of his mouth, and his eyes met mine and he smiled with a warmth which was mesmerizing.  I felt all my souls were being sucked into his charming eyes, falling into an eternal disaster.

          My heart suddenly missed a beat.

          I was confused and startled.  If I carry on doing this, I might be able to dampen Kang Zixian's feelings for me but just as I had suppressed his feelings for me, the next second my feelings for him grew……..

          Amitabha, unrequited love is a terrible thing…..Oh no!…..

          "………No, I don’t want to eat.  I'm going back to sleep."  I stammered and was about to stand up and leave when Kang Zixian grabbed hold of my hand.  He turned me around and looked at me.   "I'm also hungry.  Go down and change.  Let's go out and eat something."

          I was still in a daze.  By this time he had already stood up and he bent over to pull me up.  He smiled and said.  "Are you sure you want to break the door lock?  Do you want the key-sifu* to see your garbage dump?  I will blush on your behalf."

          (Sifu is the title given to a person who is skilled or an expert in a certain trade.)

          My face was red and just as I was about to retort when he spoke first.  "Let me be the only one to see your garbage dump and let the others off."  He gave me a push.  "Go and change.  We will go out to eat then come back to sleep.  I'm really crazy to go out with you in the middle of the night to look for the chicken thighs."

          After I had changed and was standing by the door, I pinched myself on the face.  I could feel the pain and I was certain I am not dreaming.  Kang Zixian was really going out with me to look for the chicken thigh.

          Strange.

          I knitted my eyebrows and thought……..am I, the weasel or is it him?……and then who is the chicken thigh?

          For this problem, I did not dare to search for an answer.

          Kang Zixian walked down the stairs wearing a white shirt with a black coat looking calm and dashing and he had a brown sports jacket draped over his arm.  He threw the coat over to me and said.  "It's cold at night, wear this."

          The next moment, I was dumbfounded and looked straight at him.  I was horrified that my feelings for him had grown an inch.

          His mother!……..Suddenly I realized that he is very considerate.

          But I was still stubborn.  "I don’t need this.  Why should you dress so nicely and I have to wear this?  I don’t want to be the green leaves that complement you, the safflower."

          I threw the jacket back at him, crossed my arms over my chest and looked at him.  "I say, Kang Zixian, you dressed up so nicely in the middle of the night, who do you intend to seduce?"

          He smiled.  "If I say to seduce you…..would you believe it?"

          "Huh……no."

          "I don’t even have a mother cockroach here except you, who else….."

          I answered sharply.  "You, you, you……you actually dare to say that I am the mother?"

          He declined to comment but his eyes were brimming with laughter.

          Drooping my shoulder, I sighed.  "Okay…..you win.  I'm really……the mother."

          Kang Zixian laughed happily.  The next second he caught hold of my hand, opened the door and dragged me out.

          Suddenly I realized that I was the fat, oily chicken thigh…..the chicken with its fate full of trouble and misfortune.

          Staring at the back view of the man with his natural expression, suddenly a question popped up in my mind:  This weasel……is he really hungry?

          Luckily my confusion was soon answered.  In a 24-hour fast food outlet, under the bright lights of McDonald's, my hands were holding a piece of greasy fried chicken as I ate by big mouthfuls with obsolete table manners and I cheerfully finished the fried chicken.

          Kang Zixian sitting opposite me was slowly drinking his milk elegantly.  In contrast, I was eating with my head of messy hair bowed down looking at the chicken like a hungry animal that had gone without food for the last three days.

          The petty ghost only bought me two pieces of chicken, saying that eating such greasy food in the middle of the night was unhealthy.  I pursed my lips and agreed with him since I was penniless.

          After eating, I threw away the chicken bones.  Feeling ill at ease, I still had to ask him or else I would not be able to sleep tonight.  Unable to control myself, I blinked my eyes and said.  "I say, we had spent half a day together, you…….that to me….uh, that……your impression of me…….is it any worse?"

          I waited anxiously for his answer.

          Kang Zixian lazily took a glance at the silhouette of the few people outside the huge glass window and then turned around to look at me.   With his eyes like shiny stars, he smiled lightly and nodded his head.  "Um.......a lot worse."

          It felt like a big heavy stone was lifted from my heart.

          Amitabha, I…..this beautiful chicken thigh had escaped from death!

          Suddenly, I clutched his hand with my outstretched greasy hands and almost in tears, I said.  "Kang Zixian, you are very good.  I'm really so grateful to you."

          Kang Zixian frowned and looked at his hands that were clasped in my greasy hands.  His hands were stained with grease and with a dark expression, he said.  "Fang Liang Liang, if you do not let go of my hand, I will not guarantee that my impression of you will not improve."

          Feeling scared, I quickly released his hands and giggled at him foolishly.

2