Chapter 31
4k 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          After switching on all the lights in the house, the living room was brightly lit but I still held on to Kang Zixian, talking endlessly and telling him jokes.  "There was a 50-year-old woman whose bike tire was flat.  She went to a repair shop and shouted to the boss:  Boss, my old lady* (referring to her bike) wants an abortion* (The words ‘inflate a tire’ has the same pinyin as abortion).  Isn't that funny?  *Ha, ha, ha*…"

          I laughed but the man sitting opposite still had an expressionless face.  He is obviously difficult to please.

          I touched my nose and tried to make more persistent efforts.

          "A person went into McDonald's and after eating the chicken wings, she was very happy and said to the Manager.  'Your Kentucky chicken wings are better than McDonald's, even pigs would be disgusted with McDonald's chicken.'  Then the Manager with an expressionless face said.  'I can see the pig eating the chicken from McDonald's is very happy.'  Isn’t that funny? *Ha, ha, ha*…"

          My shoulders shook with laughter on the cold joke that I made up myself but the man opposite me still frowned and sat like a statue looking at me coldly as if I was a monster that had escaped from an experimental laboratory.

          How can this man be so hard to please?  I felt a little annoyed.  "Still not laughing?  Okay then, I'll tell you a real story.  In high school, I had a female college mate who came from the North.  She was brave and courageous with a particularly loud voice.  Once during an emergency, she entered the male toilet by mistake so she turned around and came out.  Just then she met two men dressed up like a sissy walking in.  She did not feel shy but also warmly told the two men.  "Yo, sisters…..you have the wrong place, this is the male toilet…..*ha, ha, ha*……."

          I rolled on the sofa laughing while Kang Zixian finally expressed interest in this real story.  With his eyebrows lifted, he asked with a smile  "Later?"

          Laying on the sofa, I playfully tossed a pillow around.  "Later?  Later, the two ‘sisters’ chased madly after her.  Like the old saying…..they must fight to become friends.  After graduation, she married one of the sissy men and had a son.  When the son sees the father, he'd call him 'Mother' and when he sees the mother, he'd call her 'Father', the couple almost went crazy……"

          Outside the thunder had stopped and the rain had begun to pour.  Unconsciously the man had listened to my fragmented ramblings for nearly an hour.  It was late at night and I finally felt sleepy.  Barefooted, I curled up like a lazy cat on the sofa and my eyes slowly closed.

          I felt the sofa sagged and discovered he had sat down beside me on the sofa.  He looked at me gently, his voice low and intoxicating.  "Go back to your room to sleep.  You'll catch a cold here."

          "Your voice is so nice."  With my eyes closed, I praised him.  "My mother said my father's voice was also very nice."

          Before falling asleep, my drowsy brain was still a bit clear and I forced my eyes opened.  While rubbing my sleepy eyelids, I said.  "Well, I'm going back to sleep."  I threw him a sidelong glance and blinked at him naughtily.  "To tell the truth, I'm afraid to be attacked by a wolf in the middle of the night."

          Kang Zixian smiled.  "Then you'd better lock the door."  He said and thoughtfully placed my slippers neatly in front of me.  He raised his eyes to look at me with a smile and said. "Although the wolf has the key to the door."

          "Help! .....the wolf is here! ! ! "   Without putting on my slippers, I jumped up and fled barefooted.

          With a bang, I shut the bedroom door.

         

          In the middle of the night, I was awakened by the sound of thunder.  Not being awake was better than being awake.  I shrank into the quilt, revealing only a pair of deer-like frightened eyes.  In a panic, I looked around the pitch dark room and my mind unconsciously conjured up the scenes from the horror movie, The Curse.

          The dark gloomy room, the eerie mystery loft, the pale snow-white face, scary chilling laughter, eye-jarring fresh blood, soul-sucking eyes, the breath of death…….

          The incomparable crazy realistic scenes of the movie flooded in, strangling my breath and just then the sound of thunder clapped outside the window.  I jumped up from the bed and tightly clutching the quilt, I squatted on the bed next to the headboard.  After feeling anxious for a long time, finally, I realized that tonight, I had really brought this evil deed upon myself.  I was frightened to the extent that I dare not stay by myself alone. 

          Closing my eyes was even more torturous and my mind was flooded with ghostly shadows floating around.

          At this moment, a wolf was more welcoming as compared to ferocious ghosts.        

          I threw caution to the wind.

          I wrapped the quilt around me tightly like a clumsy rice ball and dragging the quilt along, I opened the door and crept upstairs barefooted.  As a result, I tripped on the quilt and let out a cry.  "Aiyo!….."  I stumbled and knelt down on the stairs feeling unbearable pain.

          Shrinking my neck, I kneaded my knee injury and eventually, the door upstairs opened.  Lights flooded the hall and the godly man was standing at the door.  His hair was tousled, looking like he has just woke up and his pajamas were also wrinkled but his eyebrows exuded a trace of laziness and sexiness of the night.

          I was thinking if the man was given a mask and a cloak then he would be my youthful girl's crazy obsession of the Night Masked man.

          With his sharp eyes glaring down at me from the top of the stairs, I felt the blood drained from my body.  My face was burning and still in the kneeling position, I looked at him. Stretching out my small hand that was wrapped in the quilt, I waved and ridiculously said.  "Hi, morning…..Good morning, did you sleep well?"

          Kang Zixian leaned against the door frame with his arms crossed on his chest, he said mockingly.  "What do you say?  It seems there are a lot of mice here."

          I was embarrassed and laughed until my face twitched.  I did not know how to answer him and could only shrink my neck and giggled.

          While I was trying to get up on my feet to run off, Kang Zixian came down the stairs and picked me up like a chicken.  He asked.  "What is wrong with you?"

          Bowing my head in shame, I sniffed and said in a muffled tone.  "I couldn’t sleep.  My mind is full of ghosts……your home is cold and empty without any human touch.  I'm afraid….."

          Kang Zixian was not pleased.  "Am I not human?"

          While fawning and pulling him, I smiled at him and said.  "Yes.  I have been thinking, you are not a wolf, at the most you are only a little beastly with a human face.  That's why I came to look for you.  Ai, ai……you also cannot sleep?  Let's go to the living room and talk.  I…..we can talk and watch the night view, ah……yes……I have never seen a sunrise and I guessed you have never seen one too.  Let’s wait together for the sunrise, okay?"

          While I was holding the quilt, I looked eagerly at Kang Zixian and he could not help but laugh.  His usual taut face gradually began to relax and he smiled at me.  His eyes glowed with soft light, so intoxicating that it was mesmerizing,

          He touched my disheveled hair.  "Fang Liang Liang, you can’t sleep and also wants to keep others from sleeping, is that it?"

          I did not reply and with a pout, I blinked and whispered.  "That…..that.....sunrise is really beautiful.  I……."

          "Fang Liang Liang, do you know that every time I see you, my feelings for you will increase a bit more."  He stared at me gently.  Suddenly hearing those words, my heart raced incessantly and his low voice in the quiet of the night was making me fall……...

          "Sunrise is not as lovely as you."

          Oh, Dear…… I'm…..I'm falling…….

          My body stiffened.  I was almost hypnotized silly by the soft waves emitting from his eyes.  I should not stay here any longer.  Even if I get entangled with the female ghost back in my room, I still did not want to stay and be defeated by him like a city destroyed.

          "I……I'm suddenly sleepy.  I'm going back to sleep."  I said.

          I clutched the quilt and clumsily turned around.  Suddenly a pair of hands encircled me tightly from behind, trapping me in the circle of his arms.

          We were tightly nestled together and his nice voice sounded in my back.

          My scalp felt numb and like a drowning fish, I forgot to breathe.

          "Fang Liang Liang, how long do you intend to keep on fleeing?  Do you think that the present you can really make me give up?"  He fiercely and forcefully turned me around to face him.  I did not know what to do and kept looking at the floor.  My heart was beating crazily and erratically.

          He lightly stroked his rough fingers down my cheek, lowered his head and looked at me with devotion like appreciating a piece of art with pious worship in his eyes.  "Do you know that…….every minute, every second, you are deadly attracting me?"

          Then he lowered his head and kissed me.  His kiss expressed all his inner crazy and frenzy feelings for me.

          Outside the window, a thunderbolt struck and the rain became heavier.  The sound of rain faintly intoxicated my heart.

         

          The next day, I woke up in the big blue bed of Kang Zixian.  Outside, the rain had stopped, the sky had cleared and the sun was shining.  The sunshine came in through the window sprinkling golden rays on the floor and he had already got up, nowhere in sight.

          Last night's kiss still seemed to linger on my lips.  I covered my red face and hid in the quilt in confusion.

          Probably, my heart was in chaos.

          After the kiss, I was in a daze and at his mercy.  He took my hand, then intertwined our fingers and he kissed my forehead.  "Later, every day I will watch the sunrise with you.  So don’t be afraid."

          Such simple words, I actually felt my tears rising after I heard them.

          Then he took me into his room and I slept on his bed while he slept on the floor.  Then he turned on his side to hold my hand and left a fleeting touch on my arm.  He was a true gentleman.

          "Sleep peacefully, my little mouse."

          In the middle of the night, I woke up for a while and listened to the calm breathing of the man beside me.  Finally, I closed my eyes and fell into a wonderful dream unwilling to wake up.

2