Chapter 35
4.1k 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          When I reached the ground floor, I looked around and did not know where to go.  I did not know how long Kang Zixian's grandmother would be staying. 

          What was her purpose for coming?  Looking at Kang Zixian's expression, he also did not know in advance that they were coming and was stunned for a few seconds like me.

          They could have planned a surprise visit on her grandson and maybe to check whether he was keeping a woman in his house.

          In my mind, I kept seeing his grandmother's sharp old eyes and my heart was slightly unsettled with some apprehension.

          I was also not certain whether she was suspicious of me.  To this old lady, a girl who sends herself up to a man's doorstep is certainly a girl who is hoping to fly onto branches and turn into a Pheonix*. (A poor girl trying to marry into a  wealthy family).  In reality, I was not interested in stepping into a wealthy family's muddy water.  Not to mention my feet would be dirty and I would not be treated as a human.

          Those "Shattered Dreams of Marrying into Wealthy Families" and "Huang Liang's dream" were all dreams of losers and were subjected to harsh, sharp words of bystanders who would not go easy on their words.

          (Huang Liang’s dream means an illusionary dream or an impossible dream.)

          My aunt was more talented in this aspect.

          With nothing to do, I listlessly kicked the pebbles on the sidewalk.  Carrying a small pink bag in this high-end district, I wandered around like a stray dog that had accidentally stepped into paradise and running after bones.  I was at a loss.

          This time I thought of a saying:  One's dog kennel is better than a gold nest.

          I missed my own kennel.  Even if it is not good, it is still my own. 

          Finally, I was attracted to the children's play area by a child's laughter which was followed by another bout of cheerful laughter.  I stopped not far from the swing.  Sitting on the swing was a little girl about 5 or 6 years old wearing a pair of smart strap-pants.  She was swinging up and down like a flying bird and the young father was smiling as he pushed her from behind.  The mother was standing next to her guarding her like an eagle.  The family of three with their bright smiles was the most beautiful scene under the blue sky and white clouds.

          I rode on the wooden horse, swaying and shaking and propped up my chin with my hands as I looked at the happy little family.  Obviously, I was already 24 years old but I felt a little envious of the little 5-year-old girl.

          This time there was no one around me. I felt a little sad and sentimental.

          When I was a child, I had also ridden on a wooden horse and a swing before.  I had also foolishly giggled but always the powerful arms needed to push me into the sky was never there.

          From young to adult, I had only called my father in front of his picture and never knew what my father really meant to me.  My understanding of fatherly love was practically nil.

          Once I had asked Fei Ge and after thinking for a while she said. "My old man?  Ah….he is my guardian angel.  When my old lady wanted to spank my ass, he would be the first one to block it.  When I made a mistake, he would only criticize me and let me off.  Anyway, I am his own child.  If he does not protect me then who will he protect?  Being a father is like that."

          At that time, when Fei Ge said this, her face unknowingly showed happiness.  I think only children with father's love and mother's love would show such an expression.

          That time I still had Fu Chen as my love.  He had warm and kind smiles and had the power to shine on people.

          The first time I saw him, I was stunned silly because a few steps away from me, a young doctor's smile was just like my father's.  I had been seeing that smile in the picture for the last 20 years and now I had found one that was similar and that moment of shock was undoubtedly strong.

          I fell in love with this man and our relationship initially started with a polite smile.

          Because I fell in love with that smile, so I fell in love with Fu Chen and also attracted him.  The first time we held hands, I even thought that my father had guided him to me.  It had to be him.

          I was wrong.

          After we broke up, I could not sleep for a few nights and even cried when I listened to songs.  Fei Ge kept me company when I could not sleep and kept me company through my sadness during that difficult period. 

          During that period of time, I grew up.  Fei Ge was right.  Subconsciously I was yearning for fatherly love, a little daughter who was arrogant and wayward.  I thought Fu Chen could also be like my father and spoil me.  But I was outrageously wrong, for Fu Chen was not my father and would not spoil me unconditionally.

          Because he could not do it, so he walked away.

          My thoughts had drifted some distance away and when I gathered my thoughts, the family of three had left hand in hand, a short distance away.  The little girl holding the hands of her parents was bouncing and jumping.  Such a scene made people feel happy.

          I stood up, went to the swing and looked at it for a while then sat on it.

          I made a phone call to Fei Ge.

          Two days had passed.  Her uncle had woke up escaping from death.  On the phone, Fei Ge's voice sounded hoarse and tired but it could not conceal her happiness.

          "Liang Liang, I tell you……this time my uncle is considered to have had a narrow escape from the Gates of Hell!  The last time, didn’t this old man clamored to go to Yanmen Guan* (雁門關 – Yanmen Guan is the Great Wall Pass in Shanxi, China) to learn the art of poetry and music from Li Bai Yin*? (A famous poet during the Tang Dynasty)  My aunt said that this time it was the old man's fault for saying he wanted to go to Yanmen Guan.  He did not get to go to Yanmen Guan but instead ended up going to the Gates of Hell for a round trip.  So unlucky!   So I asked him whether he had fun in the Gates of Hell and what did he do there.  Ha…..even though this old man was so sick, he still could joke with me and he told me……'Feifei, on the pillar of the Gates of Hell, uncle had engraved the words:  Li Xinghai had made a trip here.'   The King of Hell said that I had tainted the environment and chased me out!  Ha, ha, ha……  Don’t you think it is very funny?!"

          I laughed and wondered.  "Fe Ge, why is it that your family can produce such extraordinary people?  Your uncle is such a fearless man that even the King of Hell refused to accept him."

          On the other end, Fei Ge burst into loud laughter.  "That could be because our genes are good.  Back in the old days, my maternal great grandfather was a well-known gangster within the 10-mile radius of the old Shanghai foreign settlements and even when Xu Wenjiang saw him, he would greet the old man as 'Big Brother'"

          "…….Fei Ge, was there really a person by the name of Xu Wenjiang?"

          "Of course, there was!  Didn’t you watch the recent serial shown on TV?  Shanghai Beach?  Xu Wenjiang and Feng Cheng Cheng were together and then she ran off with someone else.  Just to let you know, when I watched this show, I felt proud that Xu Wenjiang was my great grandfather's little brother….."

          "Right, but it's just that…..Fei Ge, I think Shanghai Beach was there, your maternal great grandfather was also there…..but Xu Wenjiang might not have really existed."

          "Ah?"

          "Fei Ge, Shanghai Beach was just a novel adaption."

          "So.....ah, my grandfather told me this.  Looks like people with Alzheimer's could not be trusted."

          "Yes.  Just be careful, it could be infectious."

          I hung up the phone and felt a lot better after chatting with Fei Ge for a while.

          Holding onto the ropes of the swing, I gently swayed.  I lifted my face with my eyes squinted like a lazy cat and smiled while enjoying the lovely sunshine.

          "You're an adult.  Won't the rope break if you sit on the swing?"

          Behind me, the familiar teasing voice sounded but it did not spoil my lazy mood.  I still sat swaying on the swing.......forward and backward.

          I lowered my head to look down at my shoes and I asked.  "Your grandmother has left?"

          "Mm......"

          "Sure?"

          "….."

          "You don’t understand old people completely.  What if she comes back, what will you do?"

          He chuckled behind me.  "…….You're also difficult to understand."

          I understood what he was referring to.  Faced with a newfound feeling of love, I wanted to try but dared not.  Turning the matter over and over in my mind repeatedly, feeling timid and undecided, it made me even more confused.

          Looking at my shoes, I said.  "You are the one who is difficult to understand."

          The atmosphere turned quiet.  Suddenly behind me, he grabbed the swing's ropes and asked faintly.  "Want me to swing you up?"

          Feeling slightly shocked, I turned my head and blinked at him.  His whole body was wrapped in light golden sunshine and on his face, there was a light and gentle smile, the kind of smile I could not resist.

          That smile seemed to be full of endless love and tolerance, making people unable to tell whether it was a trap or otherwise.

          I turned my head to look back and blinked my eyes.  I suppressed my agitation and muttered.  "Forget it, the rope may break and the children will cry."

          "If it breaks, let it be.  Buying a tougher rope will be better."  His voice sounded happy.

          "You said it so lightly.  What if I fall?"

          He gently pushed me from behind and I flew into the sky.  He said.  "Before you fall, I'll catch you."

          "Ha…..you think you are superman?"

          "…….I hope in front of you…..I am."

          His words floated in the air quietly touching someplace in my heart and my heart felt like leaves in the wind, lightly fluttering.

          That night, I reached an agreement with Kang Zixian.  He was not to interfere with my work, could not ask any questions and I promised not to play the disappearing game with him.  As to his grandmother, he was not allowed to reveal even half a word and he seemed displeased but still nodded in agreement.

          While laughing happily I bit down on an apple and sprayed apple juice on his face, I talked nonsense.  "Don’t you think this is interesting?  Don’t you feel like we are having a secret affair? …...feel unhappy?   Please, even to Fei Ge, I did not reveal half a word.  This is for your own good.  If I want to break off with you or you want to break off with me, both of us would not lose face, right?  It is better this way……Hey, why do you still have the expression as if I owe you money?   Smile…..quick, give me a smile, say cheese…..quick, if you smile, I'll let you have a bite of the apple."

          Kang Zixian grinned and took a sip of his coffee.  Lifting his bare foot, he used his foot to rub my bare legs that were swaying on the carpet and said lecherously.  "How can an apple be more delicious than eating you."

          Feeling angry, I kicked his lecherous foot then jumped on my feet and shoved the apple that I had taken a few bites into his mouth and roared.  "Eat, eat, eat…..be a vegetarian!"

          He bit happily on the apple and looked at the apple in his hand.  With a slight smile, he said provocatively.   "Then I'll tentatively take the apple that you had bitten as meat."

          I rolled my eyes and continued to watch TV.

          On Monday morning, it was a school day and my newly appointed alarm clock, Kang Zixian tried to wake me for a long time but I was reluctant to get up and groaned.

          After breakfast, he wanted to send me to school but then I thought of the last time when Jiang Li had unfortunately seen me.   Thus, utmost care had to be taken and there could not be any slip-ups.

          I refused his kind gesture and Kang Zixian frowned.

          With this frown, I did not feel like telling him that Fei Ge would be home tomorrow and my life would be back on the normal track.

          Before I left, I showed him my sweet smile, waved and said.  "Goodbye, uncle."

          He looked at me with a gloomy face as I walked out the door.

          As I disappeared from the door, I shook my head and thought for a while.  Suddenly I pushed open the door, poked my head in, and said to him in an eccentric manner.  "Quick, find me an aunt, okay?"

          "Fang Liang Liang, you!....."  In the room, Kang Zixian gritted his teeth and with two to three steps, he walked out.  He gave me a fright.  I turned around and ran off.

          The result of acting on an impulse was, I reaped what I sowed.  He forcefully pressed me against the elevator door and kissed me.

          The intimate feeling felt good and sweetness flowed into my heart.  I think I am being sucked into the web of love.

          Early in the morning when I reached the school, it was still the monotonous early self-study session.  This morning, I deliberately ignored Jiang Li but I was actually in fear.  Jiang Li still had that cold look and seemed to have warmed up to Dong Zi.  I heard the two of them happily chatting about the Premier League.

          The first lesson was a math class.  Before the class started, surprisingly today Song Chang Ran had become talkative.  Her pale little face finally had the youthful look of young people and her eyes were full of expectation.  She poked me and was so excited that she stammered.  "Today….today, teacher……..Teacher Shi is back."

          "Who?"  I was not interested.  Lazily I propped up my chin with my hand and asked.  "Isn't our math teacher surnamed Wu?"

          That teacher surnamed Wu was an old lady who was never pleased with me.  She would make things difficult for me several times in the classroom.  She told me to stand up and answer questions which made the situation terrible since I did not understand math.  Standing up, I would act dumb and this angered the old lady more.

          "No, no, no…..Teacher Wu is only a substitute teacher.  Some time ago, Teacher Shi was injured during a basketball match and today he is coming back."

          "Oh......"  I answered and did not show any further interest.  I lowered my head and was about to play with my cell phone when the class bell rang.  A curly-haired man slowly walked into the classroom and stood on the podium.

          I slowly raised my head and suddenly froze for a moment.  I blinked a few times and felt like a thunderbolt had struck me.

          Standing on the podium, the healthy and vigorous young man with a smiling face swept a look around the classroom.  Then he saw me at the back row and when our eyes met, our mouths opened in shock.

3