Chapter 41
4k 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          After being abroad for so many years, Stone had changed tremendously.  I and Fei Ge enjoyed a feast prepared by Stone for dinner and we both had to admit that compared to Stone, the two of us real women had to work hard to improve ourselves.  From a young master who need not do any menial work at home, he had now turned into a master chef. 

          The meal was really fragrant.

          The feeling of the three of us fighting over food was exhilarating.  Fei Ge had always favored fish over meat and Stone’s mouth was always dripping soup.  I had always been the slowest to finish my food and also the one that ate the most.

          That feeling of everlasting belief in our body began to kindle.  Unable to have everlasting love then it also felt good to have an everlasting friendship.

          Our mood was very good and after dinner, Stone opened a bottle of red wine.  The three of us sprawled on the sofa, taking sips of wine and listened to him talk about the years he had spent abroad.

          Stone laid on the sofa smiling broadly and laughed like a nit-wit while talking about matters of a different context.  "Ai…..don't mention about it.  The first year was simply a nightmare.  With my broken English, even buying a hamburger I would sweat profusely, not to mention reading……  Now thinking back to those days, it was really funny….it could really make people change completely."

          "There was once a Dutch guy from the next room who wanted to pick a fight with me, can you guess what happened?   I, as a dignified Chinese simply can’t be undermined and as I can’t quarrel with him in my broken English I used our ancient Chinese country curse and scolded…..his mother, bla,bla, bla.....  Making him angry was more important.  Ai…..when you are timid, people always tend to bully you.  So I simply didn’t care and no one dared to offend me.  Then I realized…..what is there to be afraid of?  In my own country, I am a stone in a latrine pit but in a foreign land, do I have to be like liquid mud?  *Pei* I decided that I will still be a stone in a latrine pit, still smelly and hard!"

          "Good!  Stone is a good example!"  Fei Ge said.

          I and Fei Ge gave him an applause.  Everyone was excited with glowing faces.  This chat lasted through the night until all three of us laid our heads on the sofa and slept.

          These 7 years, more than 2000 days and nights, it was impossible for all three people's stories to be completely narrated in one night.

          Before going to sleep, I subconsciously looked at the phone…..there was no text message.  Inexplicably, I felt disappointed, so gritted my teeth and deleted his phone number.  I did not know whether this was a thoughtful decision or because I was annoyed.

          The next day when I opened my eyes, it was a bright day, so bright that the light dazzled my eyes.  My limbs felt sore and I sat up to look at my watch.  It was already 9.30 am.  Stone was nowhere to be seen and on the table was the breakfast he bought, steaming hot soya milk and porridge.  Under the bowl of porridge was a note:  Lao Da, I still have a class in the morning.  No need to come to school in the morning, sleep a bit more. 

          Holding the paper in my hand, I looked at the breakfast on the table and smiled.  Behind me, Fei Ge was on the sofa with her long legs curled up and she childishly wiped the saliva from her mouth and continued to sleep sweetly.

          To tell the truth, I could not stand to see Fei Ge, this big woman cry.  It was worse than seeing myself cry.

          She has a happy family and although her mother on the surface is a fierce lady, once you get to know her, you will find out that the old lady is particularly childish.  She likes to listen to the sweet talk from sweet girls but her daughter, Fei Ge when she feels excited she would love to swear two words…..His mother.  The old lady is a proper lady from a home of scholars, so naturally, she dislikes this kind of speech. 

          One wanted to correct and the other one did not want to be corrected.  The mother and daughter had quarreled for more than 20 years and this formed the base for them to get along with each other.  This is somewhat similar to the way I interact with my mother but the difference is usually when I talk to my mother, I would not be serious and talk without thinking first.  Once we quarrel, it would last for days, each not giving in to the other. 

          Fei Ge and her mother were different.  Every time they meet, they would quarrel over insignificant little things endlessly until flushed with anger but Fei Ge is a filial daughter.  At critical times, she would obediently adhere to her mother's arrangements.  When her mother told her to go to the sports college, she went and her mother told her to play basketball, she played.  Compared to me, who on the surface appear to be filial, I am rebellious to the bone.  I am a bit different. 

          Fei Ge's athletic career was considered smooth sailing although occasionally there were hiccups but overall she was at the peak of her career and her future looked great. 

          Her only heart ailment was only that man.  I really regretted that at the age of 16, I had dragged Fei Ge to A-High School for a stroll and in that sunset picturesque late autumn, we met him. 

          For 8 years, she had stayed by his side playing the role of a friend.  I really admired Fei Ge's perseverance and I did not believe that a smart guy like him did not feel Fei Ge's love for him. 

          Or…….

          I turned my head with depressed eyes to look at the woman and shook my head helplessly. 

          Or you were so good at hiding your heart and played the role of a friend so realistically that he did not even suspect your true feelings for him or even if he had suspected, he had refuted himself for his misconception.

          Fei Ge…..ah…..Fei Ge, now everyone worships you as Jiang Ge Fei.  Are you not able to persuade yourself to open up your heart to him?

          He is going to leave, why are you still hesitant?

         

          I hastily washed up and went to school with two huge dark eye circles.  When I reached the school, the children were at the end of their second-class lesson.  Stone who had not slept all night was standing on the podium and looked haggard.  When I entered the classroom, we looked at each other without expression but his eyes were sparkling with joy.

          Throughout the sunny mid-morning, I passed the time in lethargy.  After lunch, I still went to sit in the stairwell, staring at the phone in a daze.  After a while, a pair of white Nike sports shoes stood by my side.  Jiang Li calmly sat down.

          He looked at me with concern, turned his head towards me and said.  "I told you to sleep more in the morning.  I did not mean you should come in late in the morning."

          Propping up my chin with my hand, I said listlessly.  "I slept at 4 o'clock this morning."

          "Oh?"

          "Mmm."

          "Because…..of your parents?"

          "……Yes…..Looks like they have made an appointment to sign the divorce papers next week.  They discussed the division of properties until late in the night…..Oh….they want the house, they don’t want me."

          "….."

          I glanced at Jiang Li out of the corners of my eyes and he seemed affected by my mood.  I deliberately act dejected and drew circles on the floor.  "I really envy you.  Your Mom and Dad are together and on reaching home you have warm meals.  Not like me…..at home, I only have instant noodles and they don’t want this home anymore."

          Probably I was too immersed in my play-acting and I thought of my old lady who was married and in the States.  On reaching home, when I opened the door there would be no one at home......such a cold empty scene.  Unconsciously, I felt sad and my eyes began to mist up.

          In fact, my life was just like the false Jian Mei Da's life.  I wandered in the flow of normal life, facing a lot of changes, lonely, struggling and used a stupid lie to protect myself, so much so that I could not even see my own heart clearly.

          "The monthly test is coming……recently everything that happened is not happy."  I murmured.

          The atmosphere stagnated and the spring afternoon was filled with sadness.

          I completely did not know what to do with the boy beside me.  I sighed and then he started to speak.  "My neighbor is having a banquet tonight.  I heard that there will be a lot of delicious food.  I have an invitation, do you want to go together with me?"

          Even if you beat me to death, I would not have guessed that he would open his mouth to invite me to a banquet.  I was stunned.  Feeling happy, I nodded in confirmation but still timidly whispered.  "Really?  Can I go?  Will students like us be told off, treated as scrounges and kicked out?" 

          Jiang Li's beautiful eyes flashed but he also hesitated for a bit before he calmly said.  "Let's go first.  People may not mind."

          "Uh….that's great.  Jiang Li, Jiang Li, you say what kind of good food will they serve in this banquet?  I saw on TV, in this type of banquet, the girls wear very beautiful evening dresses and the boys wear tuxedos.  Oh….and also a mask!  They are always drinking and not eating….ha,ha,….then all the good things will be eaten by us!"

          To tell the truth, my impression of those high-class banquets were like that.  The prominent men and women were experts in the field of communication, elegant and conversed quietly, softly toasted each other with their wine glasses.  Their faces showed false smiles which no one could read.  That kind of occasion was like a mirror, reflecting fabricated vanity, giving out a sense of falsehood. 

          I have never experienced this before and with lack of interest in the people, I was only curious about the food that would be served there.  On top of that, there would be unlimited free food and drinks and the food should taste delicious. 

          Jiang Li laughed with amusement at my inexperienced innocent worldly views and said.  "What masks?  It is only the rich people giving a name to the dinner they host and for their children to gather and get to know each other as pre-marriage arrangement only.  It’s nothing great.  Only that the delicious food spread is more and the seafood is all fresh and air-flown."

          His words completely awakened the greedy worms in my stomach.  I looked at Jiang Li seriously and suddenly I stood up.  Jiang Li looked at me curiously and asked.  "What's the matter?"

          "I'm going to the toilet to vomit out my lunch.  This opportunity is rare and tonight I will sweep away all the delicious food in the banquet."

          Jiang Li looked at me and could not restrain a smile.  His eyes showed laughter and his mouth moved to quietly say a word. 

          "Fool….."

2