Chapter 47
4.1k 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          Now I and Dong Zi looked like we had just been dragged out of an oil barrel.  My whole body was shining from top to bottom and it was embarrassing.  On Dong Zi's shoulder was a piece of vegetable leaf and Jiang Li said with a frown.  "Better go in to wash up."

          My heart started to cheer.  Tonight, I and Dong Zi had been waiting painstakingly for this invitation.  I was worried Jiang Li's father, Jiang Yuan Loong, would be an obstruction.  Fortunately, he was sitting on the sofa watching the news on TV and his hands were holding the evening newspaper.  He was surprised to see the three of us come in and he smiled at us cordially.  With a face full of warmth and honesty, he had the looks of a good man.  Who would have known that he had become a police suspect?

          In this world, a person with a harmless appearance could also be an utterly heartless, wicked man.  Corrupt officials, ladies, teachers, students, and even good neighbors could be drug traffickers.  These things do still happen. 

          I greeted him with respect and bowed to him greeting him with a shy sweet smile.  "Uncle, good evening to you."

          With a smile, Jiang Yuan Loong looked at us and politely asked.  "Children, what happened to the two of you?"

          Jiang Li glanced at us impatiently and answered his father.  "They caused some trouble at Grandmother Wan's house."

          Jiang Yuan Loong expressed with an "Oh......"

          Immediately I interrupted and asked in a well-behaved manner.  "Uncle, can we use your bathroom?"

          Dong Zi disgustingly sniffed at the smell on his body, wrinkled his nose and hastened to say.  "Yes, ah…..yes, ah……Uncle, I beg you.  I can’t stand the smell.  I want to wash my hair."

          Dong Zi rattled on and on.  "What kind of chef did they engage tonight?  They put too much oil into the food.  Jiang Li, is there any animals near your house, such as wild boars?  My mother, I am worried!   Jiang Mei Da and I, are covered with oil and sauce!  Isn't this clearly two good tender human ribs?"

          In order to create our images as innocent and ignorant, in front of Jiang Yuan Loong, I purposely ridiculed him.  "Ha…..if I am human ribs then you are a pork chop!"

          Gesturing with his hands, Dong Zi shouted at me.  "Hey, hey, Jian Classmate!  Why did you say that?  I am so handsome, which part of me looks like a pig?"

          I narrowed my eyes at him, placed my hands on my waist and said in anger.  "Did I accuse you wrongly?!  It was all because you are a pig that I look like this!  Why did you act like a monkey?  Eating and running at the same time…….and running without knowing how to brake!  And you also made me fall on my back!  You made me feel so ashamed, okay?"

          I scolded him non-stop.  Dong Zi as the culprit, moved his lips with the intention to refute and then he whispered an answer.  "I tripped."

          Jiang Yuan Loong kindly pointed his finger at the toilet door and said.  "Okay, okay, go and wash up.  The two of you should go now."

          With a cold expression, Jiang Li pointed to the white door on the other side of the living room.  "Over there."

          Dong Zi was overjoyed and was about to walk past me when he saw me staring sharply at him.  Placing his hands on his lower abdomen and with a painful expression on his face, he begged me.  "Jian Classmate, can you let me go first?  I drank a lot and have a bellyful of water which is painful for me to hold back."

          He clasped his hands together in a begging gesture and I looked at him with my hands to my waist as I said with a smile.  "Don’t you know the meaning of 'ladies first'?  If you want to admit that you are a female, then you can go first.  But let me tell you, once you admit, tomorrow the news of you being a female would be spread throughout the school!" 

          Dong Zi twisted his face with a helpless expression, bent his waist and with a hand covering his lower abdomen, he stretched out his other hand with his palm facing up in a gentlemanly manner to let me use the toilet first.

          Smiling broadly I winked at him and said.  "I'll be washing in there for a long time.  You can continue to hold back."

          While I and Dong Zi were in an argument, Jiang Li was standing at the side watching us and at the same time, peeling an orange for his father.  With heavy steps, I walked towards the white door and my heart started to pound as I silently said......Dong Zi, now it's up to you!

          In the bathroom, I wash up but in fact, all my attention was focused outside the door.  I glued my ear to the door and listened for any movement in the living room.

          I could only hear Dong Zi's voice on the outside stamping his feet and yelling.  "Aiya, mother……is Jian Mei Da inside laying dinosaur eggs?!........Jiang Li, Jiang Li, is there another bathroom in your house?!   Aiya, mother…….my bladder is already on the verge of collapse!  Cannot wait……cannot wait!……."

          I did not know what Jiang Li said outside but I heard footsteps near the stairs and then footsteps running up the stairs at a fast pace.   I breathed a sigh of relief. 

          I clenched my fist and my heart was beating rapidly.  The important moment had arrived.

          The second floor was the Jiang Family private quarters.  I believe that nobody would allow a stranger into his own private space since anyone would have this basic vigilance. 

          I took a deep breath, looked into the mirror and saw my stubborn dirty face.  Slowly I took a piece of perfumed soap from the bath counter, gritted my teeth and put the soap on the wet floor tiles.  Then with one foot, I stepped on it while l lifted the other foot so that I could glide with the soap.  Like a soaring butterfly, my whole body slipped out of control. 

          My body made contact with the floor and for a moment, the huge impact made my brain go blank for a second.  Instinctively I gave a scream.  "Ah!......."  I felt a burning pain on my whole back and it overwhelmed me. 

          I had planned for a very hard fall and the pain left me lying stiff, grimacing with the pain. 

          My scream really resulted in movements outside the door.  Jiang Yuan Loong was shouting anxiously outside the door.  "Little girl, what is the matter?"

          "Aiyo…..aiyo!"  I cried but did not say anything.

          At the same time, sounds of footsteps could be heard coming from the stairs.  Soon, I heard Jiang Li's voice asking with concern.  "Dad, what is the matter with her?"

          I could only hear Jiang Yuan Loong say.  "I don’t know.  Listening to the movements inside, I think she fell down."

          Jiang Li knocked on the door, his voice sounded tense and it sounded a bit more humane compared to his usual self.  "Hey, Jian Mei Da…..how are you?"

          "Aiyo…..aiyo!......"

          Gritting my teeth, I endured the pain on my back and sat up with discomfort.  My ass was hurting and facing the door, I pretended to speak weakly.  "I…..nothing, I…..fell down.  Aiyo….. aiyo, this really hurts."

          "Are you sure?"  Jiang Li shouted on the outside.  "Do you need help?  Can you stand up to open the door?"

          Massaging my ass, I struggled to stand up and leaning against the door, I pretended.  "Aiyo, half of my body is in pain.  I can't stand up."

          This time, Jiang Yuan Loong knocked on the door and said.  "Little girl, did you hit your head?"

          I had to speak unhurriedly and nonsensically to stall for time and keep them focused on me.  "Uncle, my head is alright.  It's my buttocks that is hurt.  *wu, wu*.  Will half of my ass swell as big as a melon, tomorrow?"

          I pressed my lips with my hands as I answered and raised my eyes to the ceiling.  The anxiety in my heart was like ants crawling on a hot wok.  I wondered how was Dong Zi doing and to buy him time I had exchanged with the risk of pain on my body.  He could only succeed and not fail because if we miss this good opportunity tonight, there would not be another chance.

          Jiang Yuan Loong's voice sounded a lot lighter outside the door.  Probably he was talking to Jiang Li.  "Looks like it's not a big problem.  Girls are more afraid of pain."

          Once again Jiang Li knocked impatiently on the door and asked.  "Hey, can you sit up now?"

          I raised my hand and looked in satisfaction at my elbow which was bruised with the skin peeled off and bleeding.  I bent down to the ground and picked up the piece of soap and at the same time looked at my watch.  Two minutes had already passed since Dong Zi was left upstairs and I could no longer stall for time. 

          I stammered.  "I….I have sat up.  I'm alright, I'm trying to stand up.  *wu, wu, wu*  My arm is bleeding…..*wu, wu, wu*  Today is really my unlucky day….."

          "Stand up and open the door.  If you feel uncomfortable, quickly go to the hospital."  Jiang Li urged from outside the door.

          Any more delays would arouse Jiang Family's suspicion and with a feeling of anxiety, I quietly prayed.  I had no choice but to put my hand on the door and while I knotted my eyebrows together, I turned the knob and opened the door. 

          Blessings from Heaven!  Just as I opened the door, there was a slight movement on the stairs.  Dong Zi was pulling up the zipper on his pants with a tense look on his face and running down the stairs.  On seeing me, he was loudly shouting.  "What is it?!  What is it?!  Jian Mei Da, you can hatch eggs and also hatch accidents, ah?!  You gave me a fright and nearly caused me to withdraw all my urine back into my bladder!  Do you know what is the most tragic thing in life?!"

          When this guy feels anxious, his words would all be jumbled up but looking at his relaxed expression, I felt relieved……he must have succeeded.

          "In this life, the most painful thing is not the outflow of urine but the inflow!"  Dong Zi stood in front of me as he nagged and then lastly he added another sentence.  "You girls are like glass."

          After he finished talking, he pretended to look at me from top to bottom and said.  "Hey, I can see that this little glass is still very good.  Where did you hurt yourself?  Yo, you fell twice tonight and if you fall one more time, it will make up to be a lucky number for you.  *Ha, ha.*"

          Jiang Li looked indifferently at him making noise and Jiang Yuan Loong smiled slightly, thinking that this boy is interesting.  But I was looking at him with frustration wth my cheeks puffed up and biting my teeth I glared at him.

          This guy worked fast.  In such a short few minutes, he had washed his face and at least the oil was gone.  His hair was wet and most probably he had used the faucet spray to wash his hair.

          With an angry expression, I pointed my finger at him and my chest heaved up and down.  "You, you……are so hateful!"

          Jiang Li who was standing beside me had a bored expression.  He said to Dong Zi.  "She just fell down.  Talk nicely to her."

          Dong Zi stopped his jesting and feeling embarrassed he toned down his smooth-talking.  He foolishly scratched his head and said.   "I…..I was only joking.  *Ha, ha, ha*"

          Supporting my painful old waist, I bowed and apologized to Jiang Yuan Loong who was watching us with tolerance.  "Uncle, I'm sorry.  Tonight I had given you and Jiang Li a lot of trouble.  I'm going home."

          Jiang Yuan Loong nodded and patted my shoulder.  "Little girl, it's best that you go to the hospital for a check-up."

          "I'm fine.  Uncle, you don’t know, I had always envied the foreign girls with their big asses.  After a fall like that, although my ass did not crack open, it certainly would be swollen and I am very happy."

          I limped to the door and when I picked up my school bag I heard Jiang Li speak from behind me.  "I'll send you."

          Dong Zi who was also putting on his sports shoes and backpack, loudly replied.  "Hey, why are you so courteous?  Don’t send us.  Here in this place, there is only a possibility that we will rob the rich and no rich people will rob us, *ha, ha, ha*"

          Jiang Li glanced at him briefly and slightly pursed his lips.  "I don’t want to send you."

          Jiang Li send us to the residential main gate and stopped a taxi.  Before I and Dong Zi left, the both of us apologized wholeheartedly and took all the blame for all the mishaps that had happened tonight.

          Dong Zi promised to treat him to a dinner one day and I also smiled and said that I would treat him to snack food.  Jiang Li was casual, not showing any warmth nor any coldness but displayed a calmness that was not consistent with his young age. 

          The feeling of guilt arose in my heart and instantly occupied all my thoughts.

          I could not laugh.

          Suddenly I was afraid that my dirt would stain his clean face and just wish that we will not meet again in this lifetime.

          I felt really dirty and nothing could wash away my deceitful sins.

          Before I got into the taxi, I glanced back at him.  The blowing wind had ruffled the front of his black hair and his face was hidden in the night shadows.   With his hands in his pockets, he is still the youngster with the cool look who had not experienced any sadness in life.   

          My heart silently said to him:  Jiang Li, please forgive me but if you can’t, please be aware that in the adult world, there are a lot of the times that you don’t have a choice.  It is not necessary for you to forgive but you have to understand.  

          I entered the taxi with Dong Zi and the car started to move.  Dong Zi sat in the front passenger seat and as rows of trees passed the car window, the two of us sat in silence.

          "Done?"

          "Um........Thanks, Senior Sister for giving me time."

          "It's alright.  As long as you succeed."

          I and Dong Zi got down from the taxi and stood in the city's most prosperous entertainment area with blank expressions.

          After experiencing a night of chaos and as if all my strength of speech was left in that place, at this moment I felt exhausted.  Extreme fatigue began to take over after the successful completion of the mission. 

          Maybe because my heart was tired.

          Just for a moment, I thought of that young man with his pair of trusting pure eyes.  I felt that at this particular time, my belief of perseverance to the end, all came crashing down and suddenly I did not know myself anymore. 

          Before this, I always thought that I am a good person but at this moment, I began to have doubts.

          I really did not know how Lao Sun could be so persistent and persevered for so many decades.  Did he ever feel tired?  Did he ever suffer from guilt or be tormented by his deeds?

          Dong Zi who probably was thinking the same thing, muttered and asked.  "Senior Sister, are we doing the right thing?  He……is just a child."

          He looked up at the sky and sighed heavily.  "He really treated us as his friends."

          With a heavy heart, I walked along the road and the laughter from the pedestrians was none of my concern.  I just quietly walked on without any more strength to talk.

          The emotions that were screaming in my heart could not find their way out, so I remained silent.

          I waved goodbye to Dong Zi and told him to be careful.  I advised him to call me If there is any problem but in fact, I knew that the warning is completely futile.  Who knows when Deng Loong will make an appearance?  It is difficult to guard against those who do bad things.

          Feeling depressed Dong Zi was temporarily too lethargic to be bothered with his own problems and with his head bowed, he waved goodbye to me.

          Loneliness overwhelmed me.  I texted a message to Lao Tan and told him that the task was completed.  Then I walked aimlessly along the road in the middle of the night, thinking of an old song that always brings back memories.

          'Man Returning to City's Night'

          The singer's voice was low, suave and mellow, he could bring out the feeling of loneliness.  That type of loneliness could seep into one's bones and blood, erasing all thoughts of reason and could only blend into the night.

          I felt lonely.

          I remembered the last time I had walked aimlessly along the road with that man.  We had watched the stars and the moon accompanied by the drizzling rain.

          Tonight, the stars were hidden, the moon had also disappeared and only the night breeze was blowing softly on my hair.  Stretching out my hand, I could not catch anything.

          Suddenly I thought inexplicably……it is good if he is here.

          After walking for a while, I bought a cup of orange juice and was about to flag down a taxi to return to Fei Ge's house when my phone rang.

          I thought it was Fei Ge but when I took a closer look…....Kang Zixian.

          Looking at the number, the lonely flowers in my heart suddenly and instantly fluttered down to the ground.  The corners of my mouth lifted into a curve.

          I picked up.  "Hello."

          "Where are you?"

          "Why?"

          "I think you know."

          "*cough*, I don’t know……"

          "Oh, your amnesia really is not completely cured.  But you can rest assured that I've saved the message."

          "I…..I'm going to sleep."

          "Are you sleeping on the road? ……I can hear noises of cars."

          I thought for a while and finally made up my mind not to fight my feelings and said in a serious tone. "I'm in Le Bai Square.  Come over, I'll wait for you."

          "Okay.  Wait there obediently.  I'll be there soon."

          I hung up the phone.  When I looked up at the dark night sky I found that the white moon had appeared from behind the clouds to spy at the world.  I blinked and I actually had a kind of illusion that I saw the night sky full of stars.

          Suddenly I no longer felt lonely.

2