Chapter 58
4.5k 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

             I thought to myself........ he took a loan in Macau but how did he end up in Bangkok?  How can a pure-hearted teacher be able to cope with the atrocities and rough treatment of the triad gangs?

             Out of concern, I made a phone call to Li Fang and asked him for help to check whether Principal Yang's son came back these few months.  Li Fang was outside with his 'god-sister' having an affectionate rendezvous, so he vaguely answered and hung up his phone. 

             A night, I had a talk through the phone with Fei Ge and mentioned about Principal Yang's case but even though Fei Ge was very anxious, she was unable to do anything.

             During high school, she was also a regular in the principal's office.  The last time I and Fei Ge were there because Stone had caused a big uproar so much so that many teachers and students of other schools also knew that in A-Middle School, there was a two-person group called 'Black Sheep'.  They had even badly influenced a good student in A-High and they really had a bad reputation.  The sports school teacher almost kicked Fei Ge out of school and her mother anxiously rushed to the school to plead for her.  Unexpectedly, Principal Yang had already appeased the sports school teacher and repeatedly assured that Jiang Ge Fei student had changed for the better.  In the future, she would certainly be able to add luster to the motherland's sports arena.  The sports school teacher relented and finally did not kick Fei Ge out.

             So Principal Yang could be considered as our savior and these few years we had visited him twice.  Because when we were young, we had been too naughty and now as we had grown older, we felt shy and could not brazenly go back to our alma mater, lest our former teachers speak behind our backs. 

             "Those are the two most arrogant students in the school's history.  Don’t be deceived by their well-behaved appearance.  They are rebellious to the bone and they only studied here for three years.  All the teachers did not have a good night's sleep, constantly had nightmares and they still have the nerve to come back!"

             In a flash, time had passed and things had remained the same but people had changed.  That year, because of the fight, the problematic students now have a bright future and the gradually aging Principal Yang in his twilight years had to encounter such a tragic fate.  It is a case of a good man not rewarded with kindness, how can one not sigh? 

             After hanging up the phone, I still felt upset.  While tapping on the tabletop, I waited for the man's call.  From nine o'clock to ten o'clock, the phone remained quiet as he did not call but my mother's soul-chasing call came through first.

             "The son of a Chinese Professor from your Uncle Alan's school is coming to A-city for a business trip.  He will be arriving in two days' time.  Since he is not fluent in Chinese, you will have to meet him."

             "Mother, why is a foreigner here without a translator, ah?  What has it to do with me?"

             "This old lady says you have to receive him, means you have to receive him, why are you so long-winded?!"  On the other side, my mother started to roar like a lioness.  "Besides, who said he is a foreigner?!  Mother had already met him and obviously, he has black hair, yellow skin and other than having an American accent, he also has Chinese essence!  Mother is telling you, this young man has a successful career, with good character and is a Princeton graduate.  Although he is a bit short but concentrates is the essence and Mother likes him at first sight!"

             "Since you like him so much, then you can kick my Uncle Alan aside and forget about him.  Anyway, my mother, you are still attractive, you can get a few jabs of Botox to smoothen your wrinkles.  Who knows…..the American guy may find you attractive too."

             "Fang Liang Liang, don’t talk back to your mother.  Don’t think this old lady is thousands of miles away, so you are free to do whatever you want.  No way!  Whether you like it or not, you still have to go!"

             "Mother, recently I am busy.  I can’t spare the time or else I will get a friend to receive him, okay?"

             "Fang Liang Liang, are you pretending to be obtuse?  Think of this, if the two of you are married, both of us would not be so far apart.  Look, your mother is here in Seattle this ghostly unfamiliar place which rains all year round and I can only make a phone call when I miss you and during the night, I can only shed two drops of tears.  Your mother is feeling lonely and empty, ah."

             "Mother, how can my Uncle Alan tolerate it when you say this to me?"

             "I don’t care whether he can tolerate or not.  I ask you, Fang Liang Liang, if you are not going to marry and come over, what do you want your mother to think?  Ah?  Do you want to throw your mother over to the States to lead a life of miserable old age, ah?  Your mother raised you up with such difficulties, are you not going to be filial?"

             "Mother, I don’t……"

             "Ah, no filial piety!……you deliberately anger me!…..what is the point of raising you up?!  Why did you crawl out on the operating table?  You are not filial!….such misery during my old age!  Useless daughter, why did I give birth to you!…..if I had known, I would have thrown you into the dirty ditch!……"

             On the other end, my mother howled like a wolf and made an unreasonable scene which provoked Old Alan to ask with concern.  "What's wrong, honey?  Are you okay?"  I rolled my eyes in frustration and felt myself losing patience with her but I was unwilling to let her know that I already have someone.

             According to my mother's personality, as soon as I hang up my phone, I am sure she would immediately book an air ticket to come back because she is so crazy with the thought of having a son-in-law. 

             I was upset listening to my mother's fake roar and helplessly surrendered.  "Okay, mother, you can rest assured, I, Fang Liang Liang is the most filial.  Please don’t nag anymore.  Be careful not to let my Uncle Alan find out that you are not an old swan from the Orient but an old shrew from the Orient.  I'm going to sleep, bye-bye."

             "Ai, ai…..wait, I have not given you Josh's flight……"

             Before my mother started a new round of nagging, I decisively hung up the phone and took a long deep breath.  Quiet and free at last.  I hid in my small house, switched on a small orange light, put aside all those earthly problems and got instant calm and comfort. 

             I thought of Jiang Li, Lao Tan, Principal Yang, Dong Zi, all those people's faces flashed one by one in front of my eyes.  I had to admit that the restlessness in my heart was not completely suppressed.  It was continuously churning and I had the feeling that the next second the calm illusion would fade and it would be replaced by an overwhelming storm. 

             The phone suddenly rang, destroying the brief calm.  With a frown I picked up the call and unable to control myself, I roared.  "Mother, can't you let me have some quiet time?!  I already promised you I will meet him, what more do you want?!  It is not that I can’t be married off, why are you so anxious?!"

             "Who are you going to meet?"  The other end of the phone, a rich, deep resonance voice sounded.

             I was surprised for a moment.  I held the phone with regret and silently gave myself a slap. 

             "Uh…..no….not meeting anyone, ah....."  I told a lie with my eyes wide opened and during such a dangerous time I desperately struggled.

             Kang Zixian's voice was full of anger and listening to him made me quiver with panic.  "Fang Liang Liang, so until now you still have not told your mother about us?"

             "What about us?"  I dug my ears and pretended I did not understand.

             "What about us? …..Okay, you'd rather meet someone else and pretend to be confused with me?  Then let me ask you…… Is it correct that you can’t do without me?" 

             I was speechless.  It seems, Kang Zixian was really angered by me.  I was not confused and anyone would desire a commitment.  Even if it was verbal, it would give people peace of mind.  He is just an ordinary man and a commitment is not only desired by women.

             There is a song called 'Loving you in my heart, difficult to confess."

             Ever since I met this man, from unfamiliar to familiar, I gradually understood the meaning of strength in tenderness.  He was always forcefully giving me pressure in every step, with a high profile stance like a cat catching a mouse.  He would wait for me to admit defeat and wait for me to fall into his trap willingly.  I had tried to run away, tried to create trouble and even tried to refuse him and later I even lost my heart.  Although I felt awkward, gradually I had accepted the fact that I could not escape him. 

             But now he wants me to personally admit that there is only him.  Just those simple words only and in my heart, I had clearly admitted.  Yes, I cannot do without you but these awkward words were stuck in my throat, for in my heart, I wanted to retain a little self-esteem and could not say aloud those words.

             For a long time, I was unable to get a satisfactory answer and when I had gathered my thoughts, the man had already hung up his phone.  Listening to the busy tone in the late night, there was a void in my heart and then I felt regretful.  Obviously it was at my fingertips but l had let it slipped away.  It is only a few words, it is only lowering one's self-esteem, so what of it?

             Actually, it was nothing but for two people to be together, the first to lower his head would always be the one to bow down first.

             I could not help but sigh.......after all, I was not resigned to it.

             Three days passed by but Kang Zixian did not call and I was not sure what he meant.  Perhaps it was that meaning, I could not help but worry and became restless.  Several times I picked up the phone and then put it down again.  Whenever the phone rings, I would quickly pick up the call.  My heart would race intensely but I would be disappointed.  The voice on the other end was not the rich, deep resonant voice that I longed for.

             There were a lot of people who called me.

             My mother said.  "Daughter, ah…..Josh had seen your photo and mother is pleased.  Do you know what he said after he saw the photo?  This young American guy's Chinese is very good and he used two idioms…..hiding the moon, shaming the flowers* (Beauty that exceeds the natural world), and fish sinks goose swoops* (Beauty that captivates the birds and beasts)  Of course, Mother knows that these two idioms used on my daughter are a grievance to the idioms, but mother accepts it.  Mother is looking forward to meeting you in Seattle and it is good here in Seattle.  Here there is the big ocean, sandy beaches, handsome guys, simple folks and the most important thing here, is your dear Mommy!  Liang Liang, I know you miss mother, so quickly follow Josh and come over.  Regard this as I am begging you, ah?"

             Fei Ge said.  "Liang Liang, that Fang Yi Heng, the fool went to C-city to waylay me.  Damn!  That girlfriend of his also came along with him, making it as if catching us in the act of illicit sexual relations and she scolded me for 'prying' off her man!   *Pei*!, this aging mother 'pry' the fart!  For a decade, this aging mother did not even 'pry' Fang Yi Heng that nerd, it was already a grievance to me.  In the end, I also had to endure that arrogant woman's temper.  I am going mad!  I have decided I want to break off with him, completely break off and this is the truth!  If I were to be involved with him again, this aging mother will change my surname to his surname!  I am so mad, I am so mad, really want to look for a piece of tofu to hit!……."

             Dong Zi said.  "Senior Sister, Jiang Li, that boy is very good.  Perhaps he had guessed that the two of us are a team and he does not look at me in the eye.  He should do well in the college entrance exam scheduled a week later since his final trial exam results are better than his previous result.  He obtained first-grade so most probably he is not affected and invested all his effort into studying.  But the only thing is that he has grown thinner……"

             Li Fang said.  "Liang Liang, it is strange…..A-Middle School Principal Yang's son seems to have disappeared as if he had evaporated from this world.  His trading company is empty and I heard that he loves to gamble.  Now the debt collectors are converging to Principal Yang's home but they are unable to see anyone.  It is heard from the school guard that the old school principal simply did not return home.  He is hiding from the debt collectors in a small room in the experimental building.  No wonder people say…..parents owed their children from the previous life and they will have to repay the debt in this life, now I understand…….  Oh, Liang Liang, this is my private thoughts......could this old man's son be hiding in Thailand?  It seems that your Principal Yang is an overseas emigrant.  Earlier, he had stayed in Thailand for more than ten years and he still has relatives in Thailand.  Could it be, his son is hiding there?"

             My heart argued over this point, faintly felt that something was not right but I could not pinpoint the flaw.  I put down the phone and thought it over.  Feeling my headache was getting worse, I decided to visit the old principal with Fei Ge one of these days.  Even if I could not help him, at least I could check on him and see how he was doing.  My heart also felt at ease.  It was said that ‘one day as a teacher, a father for life’.  During the most confused period of my life, the old principal had led me out of the maze and he became my most respected elder.

             Another day passed by but Lao Tan did not give me any specific task and just let me be on standby.  Li Fang said that Lao Tan was not able to take note of me because recently he had to be on guard.  The Bureau Chief had several times during the meetings criticized that those under him were not performing well.  The situation in the bureau seemed to be in a new situation and the Bureau Chief mentioned that the municipal committee was hopeless.  The Mayor's meaning could be to let the Chief stay another term again and it seems that Lao Tan's hope would be dashed.

             As a mountain cannot keep two tigers and Li Fang said that Lao Tan may have to go since there were superiors above him.  With his abilities and background, he would still be able to prosper wherever he goes. 

             The big supporting mountain was going to leave and we, the small subordinates could not help but sigh.     

2