Chapter 62
4.7k 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

             Actually, I had no chance of overcoming his strength in this type of struggle.  Although he was elderly, he was still a man.  He tried his best to press the knife into his heart and I tried my best to turn the direction of his knife.  Unexpectedly the old principal suddenly lost his footing, leaned forward and his whole body pressed onto me.  The next second, I felt darkness overwhelmed me and my heart had the same feeling.  I felt a pain and a tremendous wave of fear came over me.  I lowered my head and looked down.  Bright red blood was gurgling out of my chest and it spread onto my white T-shirt.  It was dazzling red, so red that my sight became fuzzy.

             My legs weakened and clutching my bloody chest, I leaned against the wall and panted.

             The principal who was crazily begging for death just now finally woke up. He looked at me in shock and his horrified eyes reflected my dying image.  Tears poured down his face and he muttered.  "Heavens, what have I done?  What have I done?......"

             "You didn’t do anything……you have to live well and wait for your son to come back....."

             My hands were bloody as the bright red liquid flowed freely from my body.  Before death could completely claim me, I managed to say those words.  Then in front of me, the frightening darkness claimed me and the coldness of death slowly flowed into my body.  I really wanted to open my eyes but I was too tired.  I tried to open my eyelids but I felt very weak.

             In the last ray of light before darkness overcame me, the smiles of many people flitted across my eyes…..my mother, my father, Fei Ge, Stone, Dong Zi……finally it was that man with his loving smile and as he stood under the fairy tale Ferris wheel, he said:  Promise me, in the days I am not around, take good care to protect yourself."

             I am sorry, I did not fulfill my promise.

             I did not know when people die whether they would be like me……my body felt very heavy.  The pressure made me breathless, my soul floated in the air and from time to time, I heard a lot of people's voices, near and far, familiar voices.  They were not my relatives and friends from the world……at the other end, voices were calling me to go back……

             Please don’t leave, please don’t leave us to go to heaven alone.......

             No, I don’t want to leave!…… I wanted to respond to them loudly but I could not make a sound.  So I desperately struggled, desperately shook my head to break away the chain on my body only with the desire to see them one last time......to let them know that I did not want to leave them. 

             My soul strived to return to my body.  I tried to open my eyes but my eyelids were so heavy…..open my eyes, I wanted to open my eyes to look at the world…..failed…..tried again…..then tried a bit harder…….

             "Ah, heavens……woke up, woke up…..Liang Liang woke up!  Fu Chen, quickly come, Fu Chen!……."

             My eyelids opened slightly, the while light pierced my eyes and I closed my eyes again.  Near my ear, my mother's loud noisy voice sounded followed by movement from the surroundings.  The sounds far and near gave me a headache……Old Alan exclaimed.  'God Bless!' and Fei Ge shouted.  "Wake up!…..Fu Chen!  Fu Chen!….."

             And then I heard Dong Zi' urgent noisy shouts.  "Brother Kang, Senior Sister woke up!  Senior Sister woke up!"

             I let out a sigh of relief in my dream and finally, I was sure that I did not die.

             Chaotic footsteps anxiously came towards me which made my headache worse.  It was difficult to resist the sleep that was taking over me and I closed my eyes.  But a low resonant voice near my ear was giving me encouragement.  "Liang Liang, don’t sleep, don’t sleep!  Wake up, you can do it!"

             Yes, Kang Zixian I can!  I want to wake up to re-honor my commitment, you have to believe me!  I, Fang Liang Liang is a woman of my word!

             Just to open my eyes, this little movement was as if I had traveled thousands of miles.  I could only experience this hardship myself and after going through the initial discomfort of the light piercing my eyes, I was pleased to see familiar faces.  I turned to the left, my mother was in tears, Fei Ge had moist eyes, Stone was ecstatic and Fu Chen dressed in a white coat, was leaning over to check my eyelids with a solemn face. 

             I felt my right hand was wrapped around big warm hands and I instinctively turned slowly, moving my stiff neck to look to my right.  My eyes met his black, deep-sea like eyes, eyes that were full of me……he had grown a stubble, messy hair and eyes with dark shadows.  I had never seen him with such an unkempt appearance.  When he saw I was looking at him, he tightened his lips silently and tightly held on to my hand fearing that I would run away.

             I smiled at him weakly then felt his hand turned over and interlocked his fingers with mine.

             I looked at the crowd that had gathered around me, their eager eyes revealing uneasiness and uncertainty.  Warmth flowed gently and slowly into my heart......finally, my soul had returned home.  Perhaps it was Heaven's sense of humor, I lifted the corner of my mouth and smiled at the crowd.  I learned from the main lead of a film.

             "Hi, I'm back!"

             "How is Principal Yang?  He…..is alright?  I hurt myself but it has nothing to do with him.  He wanted to die, I tried to take the knife from him and injured myself."

             I thought of the events leading up to this and was afraid the police would accuse him.  Even though I still felt very weak, the first thing I did after waking up was to struggle to explain and asked the crowd for his news, but everyone looked at each other in silence. 

             My mother wanted to say something, then stopped and hesitantly drifted her eyes to Fei Ge.  Fei Ge faltered and avoided my eyes.  After Stone saw Fei Ge kept her silence, he also tightened his lips.  I could only look at Dong Zi and he shrugged his shoulders, spread his hands and I had a bad premonition.   I had to use anxious eyes to asked Kang Zixian and his face showed displeasure.  "These two days we were only concerned about you, where do we have the time to care for others?"

             I was flabbergasted.  "Two days?"

             By the side, Fu Chen who had been silent all this while gently opened my hospital clothes, checked the wound and simply said.  "You have been unconscious for two days and one night."

             On waking up, I saw my ex-boyfriend and after getting over the surprise, I actually felt embarrassed.  How could I know that I would be sent to the hospital that he was working in and also became his patient?  Maybe he had also done the surgery on me and now my ex-boyfriend and current boyfriend were gathered around me.  I carefully looked at the two men and both men had taut faces. Their eye exchange was zero as if treating each other as invisible.

             I sighed as I had just plucked my small life back from death and in a blink of an eye, I became sandwiched between the two of them. 

             Heavens is really addicted to playing jokes on me but now as I laid down on the bed, I had only half a small life left in me.  I opened one eye and closed the other then willed my ears not to hear anything and felt it would be better if I continued with my sleep.

             After waking up from an eight-hour sleep, I had already been transferred to a single bedroom.  My mother had told the few men to go back to sleep as they had not closed their eyes since my accident.  Fu Chen nodded but several others refused to leave.  But Dong Zi was eventually dragged away by Deng Loong while Stone and Kang Zixian slept on the sofa in the ward.  The two fell asleep as soon as they rested on the sofa and even when sleeping, Kang Zixian still frowned. 

             After recovering a little of my spirit, I could stay awake for about an hour and I listened to my mother and Fei Ge both talked about what happened when I was in a coma. 

             Clutching her chest, Fei Ge said with an anxious expression.  "Liang Liang, this time you really took a walk to the Gates of Hell.  Do you know it was dangerous, extremely dangerous?  If that knife had gone in a few more centimeters, it would have stabbed your heart?  Do you know what those few centimeters meant?  You, fucking almost died!  Ai, just thinking about it, scares me to death…….I heard the nurses in the emergency room said that when 120* (Emergency number of the medical squad)  brought you to the hospital, your blood had stained the whole ambulance red.  They said that you could not be saved but it was thanks to Fu Chen.......ah……that guy when he saw you, his face was ashen!  He still had feelings for his old love.  Thanks for his help, he called up the best experts in the whole hospital in the shortest time for your surgery.  A minute was not even delayed and your little life, half was saved by him.  When you were in a coma for two days and a night, he did not leave your side which made your cousin sister very angry.  Aiyo…..and also she can’t throw tantrums, that poor little worm……."

             Fei Ge glanced at the man sleeping on the sofa and whispered.  "And also him…..this man really touched me.  Was he not in the States?  Don’t know who told him but the second day, at night, while you were still in a coma, he arrived.  At that time I was in the corridor and wow!   I saw him run in like crazy!  His eyes were blood-shot and at that time you were lying on the bed straight like Snow White.  Aiya, my mother, that was the first time I ever saw a man look as sad as him.  I felt completely silly……that time I was wondering who he was and I asked him:  Who are you?  Did you come to the wrong room? …….

             He turned to look at me and asked me:  She will be alright, won't she? …… Aiyo…..I can still remember that distraught look in his eyes now!  When I looked at that worried look on his face, this old mother really believed that you were going to die soon!  Liang Liang, you bad child, you really made us all so worried and turned us upside down!….."

3