Chapter 7
953 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          It was pointless arguing with him and as I did not want to waste time, so straight away I said.  "Can you please find out where is Deng Loong now?"

          "Martin?"  He was slightly surprised and his voice low.  "Can I ask why?"

          I became silent and as I did not want to talk in circles, I replied.  "He took away my boyfriend……"

          He was silent.

          I added oil and vinegar* (Add details to make a story more interesting) to aggravate the tragic effect and pretended to sob.  "Deng Loong has taken him away and I cannot find him.  Big Brother, you have to help me.  Women like us do not find it easy and now I am able to find a good man to be my long term meal ticket* (A guaranteed financial support for the rest of one's life), I do not want anything to happen to him……."

          I blew my nose exaggeratedly and I could guess that listening on the other side of the line, he would be able to feel that I, this pitiful woman was willing to lower her pride to save her boyfriend from the gay's claws.

          I had to pretend for a long while before he leisurely asked.  "Why should I help you?"

          As soon as I heard his question, I wanted to let out expletives at him, then he continued to say.  "Miss Fang, I am not obliged to help you look for your boyfriend.  This sounds a bit ridiculous or are you looking for an excuse to strike a conversation with me?  Sorry, but this is a possibility."

          I was stunned, suddenly a wave of overwhelming anger rushed into my mind.  I wanted to open my mouth to scold him but my mind suddenly reminded me that quarreling with this love-struck man would make him hostile and Dong Zi's chrysanthemum most likely would become a bloody bloom.  

          I cannot let Dong Zi get into trouble.

          I remembered the time when Lao Tan led the sweet smiling Dong Zi to stand in front of me.  I took a look at him and saw a man with temperament just like a small happy daughter-in-law, I draped an arm over his shoulder and said.  "Rest assured, Sister will look after you."

          I had always remembered that promise.

          And in the past, there was an old man who looked at me kindly, earnestly and sincerely taught me.  "Liang Liang, a promise is worth a thousand in gold* (A promise must be kept).  Preferably let others fail you than you fail others.

          I gritted my teeth bitterly, holding my cellphone tightly, took a deep breath, swallowed my pride and said in a surprisingly calm voice.  "Don’t worry, grass chicken*(Low cowardly woman) does not match with golden tortoise*(A wealthy man).  I am still clear about this or else let's take it this way.  Just take pity on me and help me find out where Deng Loong is and I'll never bother you again."

          It was quiet for a few seconds and then he said.  "Wait a few minutes."

          Then he hung up.

          Angrily I stared at the number on my cell phone and then feeling bored, I turned around to sweep a look at the façade of the shopping plaza which was as bright as day.  Then my eyes landed on the door of the Shark Restaurant, not too far away.

          Fu Chen was standing rooted to the ground like a piece of wood and in an instant, he looked in my direction.  When Weiyi tugged his hand, he reluctantly looked away with an expressionless face and was led away.

          Looking at the two people, one in front and the other following, I sneered.  It seemed he had really found true love.  In the past, he would be walking in front leading me and from time to time would turn around to reprimand me to show his dominance and control, to keep me in line. 

          Looking at the distant, Weiyi was walking in front, holding onto the hand that had once in the deep winter, clutched my cold hands and blew hot breath on them.  The memory made me distressed and my heart was filled with sadness. 

          Because I was careless, now he is holding someone else.

          In the huge open square, there were many couples walking about and I felt slightly sad.

          I was sad for less than half a minute when my cellphone rang……it was Kang Zixian.

          He straight away said.  "Where are you?"

          I froze and then asked.   "Where is Deng Loong?"

          "He is at a place where you will not be able to get in.  So where are you?"

          "Where I am is not important.  Where exactly is that ghostly place?"

          "Rush.....a private club for members only.  So where are you?"

          "Why?"

          "Fang Liang Liang, if you do not want me to take you there, then you can hang up now."

          He was slightly angry.  I was startled and quickly said.  "East Plaza."

          The late-night breeze was chilly.  My clothes were thin and a large part of my chest was exposed to the chilly air and a gust of wind made the hair on my whole body stand on end.  I sneezed but I was not concerned about myself.  Fiercely I said to him.  "You'd better not let pigeons fly* (To stand someone up) or else, even as a ghost, I will not let you go."

          "Fifteen minutes."  He snapped into the phone.

          The next thing I had to do was wait.  I still kept on calling Dong Zi on his phone over and over again, hoping he would answer and tell me he was safe.  But again and again, I hear the artificial female voice that kept repeating that he was out of reach.

          Just as I sighed towards the gloomy night sky, a car stopped sharply by my side.  I turned around and looked.  Fu Chen was sitting in the car looking at me coldly and sitting beside him was Weiyi with a foul expression, so foul that even if I close my eyes, I could smell the foul smell from miles away.

          When I was a child, I had lived in her family home for three years and experienced the torture of staying under someone else's roof* (To stay with someone relying on their charity) whilst my uncle was always away on business.  Just like my aunt, Weiyi was also sharp and unkind and had the thought that no one could be better than her and just like her name, Weiyi*(Weiyi means the only one) she was very proud of herself and considered herself as the only outstanding person. 

          She had such a nasty temper and was destined to be like fire and water*(Incompatible) with me.  For three years, I endured the bitterness and ill-treatment from both mother and daughter but I tolerated them and looked for other ways to vent my exasperation.

          That three years slowly passed.  It witnessed the development of my derailment and uninhibited character in my youth.  When everyone thought that I was beyond help, a pair of kind, smiling eyes looked at me and said.  "A stone had blinded everyone's eyes.  Liang Liang, brush off the layer of dust from your body and prove to everyone that you are a gold nugget." 

          That pair of trusting eyes was my salvation.

          And in adulthood, when I thought Fu Chen could have that kind of trust in me and be my salvation but expectedly what he gave me was disappointment.

          Fu Chen did not turn his head, spoke to me politely as usual like speaking to a fellow traveler.  "Where are you going?  Would you like me to send you?"

          I did not look at the two of them and stared coldly in front.  "No."

          Fu Chen was silent, then suddenly Weiyi giggled and chipped in.  "Cousin Sister, get in.  In such cold weather, wearing clothes like this will be cold."

          From young until an adult, I hated my cousin sister for this characteristic.  Her words harbored a long knife* (Words with hidden sinister meaning) and coupled with a treacherous face.

          You have already won.  What more do you want?  Shouldn't you give others a way out?

          I was unhappy, very unhappy, so I turned around and laughed sloppily at the two of them.  "Recently I changed my job.  If I don't dress like this, I'll be out of business." 

          Fu Chen's face suddenly became gloomy.  I frivolously blew a whistle and directed my attention towards a young man passing by then I shouted.  "Hey, handsome!  Am I pretty?"

          The young man was stunned for a moment.  He kept his cool and gave me a thumbs-up before he laughed and walked away.

          I smiled as brilliant as the peach blossom and my heart filled with revengeful pleasure.

         

3