Chapter 11
985 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          Two minutes later, both of us, I and Dong Zi were downstairs at the club entrance.  Two pairs of sorrowful eyes looked at the raining sky and the departing luxurious cars driving away, one by one.  We had a tacit understanding of the situation and remained quiet.

          Here the rich wanted absolute privacy to make it easy for them to carry out their business, so taxi service was not available around this private club. 

          I and Dong Zi looked at each other.  Big eyes looking into small eyes while a cool breeze blew and even the souls could not help but also shake three times.

          Dong Zi trembled as he smiled mischievously and said.  "Senior Sister, why not we rob a car."

          I rubbed my shoulders and my lips were trembling.  "That's okay.  After robbing them, they can directly send us back to the Bureau."   Lao Tan had always reminded us to go back often.

          Dong Zi inspected the Porsche sports car in front that was speeding away, pretending to say mysteriously.  "Ah, in case these cars are installed with missile system then what are we to do if we are bombed and send back directly to the Bureau?"

          I stared at him and said.  "You rascal, you have been watching too much 007!"

          Dong Zi scratched his head and began to talk nonsense.  "Agree.  We are a harmonious developing country, full of good people without pirates nor terrorists.  Bond is going to migrate to our country.  He will be unemployed and will be selling roasted sweet potatoes.  His business will be very much better if he is to sell roasted sweet potatoes."

          "Ai Dong, if you don't shut up……..immediately from a good citizen, I'll become a murderer, do you believe me?"

          "Yes, yes.  To be able to die at the hands of this beautiful sister, becoming a ghost will be so romantic."

          "Shut up, shut up!  My headache is killing me."

          Thousands of raindrops came raining down in straight lines and this spring rain continuously pound without any signs of stopping.  From time to time accompanied by thunder and lightning, I and Dong Zi continued to be at a loss, waiting for the impossible appearance of a taxi. 

          "What to do?  We can't get back to the city."  Dong Zi began to lose his cool.

          I was cold and shivering, extremely uncomfortable, clenching my teeth.  "Wait for a while.  Maybe there will be a car.  If not we have to block a car and directly get in."

          Dong Zi carefully gave me a look and said.  "Senior Sister, that man Kang looks like a good man.  Why not get him to send……send us?"

          Once he mentioned Kang Zixian, my heartfelt anger rising from my stomach with nowhere to vent, I angrily said.  "Fool, do you understand what is a nest of rats and snakes?*  (Bad guys who collude with each other).  Do you know that tonight, because I wanted to look for you I had to bear with his insults?  I am going to explode with fury and you still mention him to me?"

          "But……but looks like he is interested in you."

          "Your mothers…ah, do you think that a sparrow can become a phoenix*? (Someone of low status becomes someone of high status).  Do you think that this type of cultured scum would like a nightclub hostess?  That's enough.  If he doesn’t come to destroy me, I would count it as a blessing.  Amitabha*."

           (Amitabha means infinite or boundless light.  Usually one will say Amitabha Buddha or Amituofo which means to take refuge in, rely upon or call upon the boundless light of awareness and wisdom. )

          "It's not easy being a woman as rude as you."  Behind me, a devilish male resonant voice jokingly sounded.

          It is him again.

          With my back facing him, I gritted my teeth, turned around and looked at him coldly.  "Mr. Kang, if you are not used to seeing me, you can pretend not to see me.  It would be better for you and me, thank you."

          Kang Zixian who was standing a meter away, faintly smiled.  "I'm afraid that would be difficult.  Miss Fang has a very interesting existence, are you not aware of this yourself?"

          Now he changed his stance and called me a clown.  The next instant, I turned my head and was not bothered about him.  At this time, Dong Zi had quietly leaned over and whispered into my ear.  "Senior Sister, I am right.  He has taken a fancy to you."

          "Pei! Pei! Pei!…..Don’t curse me!"

          At the moment, I felt so bad that I was not in the mood to talk about romance and the attributes that I like in men should be like Fu Chen, gentle and refined.  Just by looking at his smile, one would feel calm and feel a sense of security.

          Fu Chen would not be like the man in front of me, so annoying that nine words out of ten, he would make me so angry that I feel like banging my head against the wall.

          These two days, a fierce fire was burning in my heart, hot like a barrel of bombs.  This man holding a match in his hands was obviously trying to ignite me and let me burn but I was not foolish.  I intend to live longer for a few more years.

          At night, the mountain scene was barren, suitable for wandering ghosts, coupled with the sound of pattering rain, made me agitated.  Kang Zixian came up to stand beside me, glancing up at the rainy night, said.  "Come on, I'll send you back."

          Dong Zi was overjoyed and said.  "Thank you, Mr. Kang."

          The doorman had already driven Kang Zixian's car over, gave him a bow and handed over the car keys.  Dong Zi pulled at me and motioned to me. 

          "A wise man knows better than to fight when the odds are against him*.  He had shown kindness and had lowered his stand to allow us to step down and this should be considered a happy ending."

          But Dong Zi did not understand my stubborn temper and I cannot bear to receive other people's charity.  I would not accept it and if I am provoked, I will become a shrew.  Even if, I were to feel uncomfortable now I would not mind as I would rather not feel uncomfortable in spirit.  This matter is simply nothing and if I do not make a scene today, I will not be able to live up to my great and timeless title as a shrew.

          Tonight, this Kang Zixian had, again and again, challenged my mentality to the highest limit.  Earlier, for Dong Zi, I had suppressed my hot temper and smiled foolishly but now Dong Zi is safe, I can finally choose to part ways with him. 

          Kang Zixian leisurely and calmly got into the car.  Dong Zi pulled me and in front of Kang Zixian, awkwardly said.  "My…….my dear, let's go."

          I leaned against the round pillar with my face faced sideways and my chin lifted, I said.  "If you want to go, you can go.  I'll go back by myself."

          Dong Zi anxiously glanced at the expressionless Kang Zixian sitting in the car.  "Let's go.  Do you want to go back by number 11* public transport? (11 signifies two legs)   My…..my dear, you are so beautiful.  In the middle of the night, you will most likely be attacked.  I'll worry.  Hurry, let's go!"

          "What is there to be afraid of?  Later when I expose my thigh, you think we will not be able to hitch a ride?"

          Dong Zi was so anxious that he was jumping mad and he gently begged next to my ear.  "Senior Sister, don’t do this.  Let's go back first and talk later."

          I threw him a glance, smiling flirtatiously at him and in a soft one said.  "My dear, a scholar can be killed but not disgraced* (A person would rather die than be insulted).  You don't know, tonight, I had been the butt of jokes.  Even though we are poor, we must still keep our strength of character and not allow hypocrites make fun of us."

          I raised my eyes and with some provocation, I looked at Kang Zixian.  My heart finally feeling a bit happier.

          After all, Dong Zi was inexperienced and seeing that I dare to mock and ridicule the person in front of him, he started to panic and looked back and forth between me and Kang Zixian sitting in the car.

          Kang Zixian was not feeling happy and the doormen watched as he elegantly got down from the car.  He strode up to me and Dong Zi then turned towards the panic-stricken Dong Zi and said to him.  "Get into the car first."

          Dong Zi carefully gave me a glance, "Oh, Oh."  With a two-worded reply, he got into the car and observed the two of us.

          Kang Zixian's scary eyes were black and bright but I, Fang Liang Liang did not feel afraid.  As he looked at me, I looked at him and we were locked in silent confrontation.         

          Although he was very angry, he could still put on a biting cold smile.  "Fang Liang Liang, you are a shrew.  Did you consider the cost of putting someone to shame?"

          I coldly humph and without any intention to beat around the bush, I frankly said.  "What is the cost?   Surname Kang, let me tell you, I didn’t shame anyone.  I, Fang Liang Liang, is fighting for my self-esteem.  Your type of people will never understand my integrity."

          Kang Zixian slightly lowered his head to my level.  People who did not know would have thought we were an intimate couple.  My head instantly moved backward but unfortunately, the back of my head hit the cold pillar behind me. 

          We were standing very close.

          He was so close that I could feel his body warmth and his slight fragrance.  His handsome criminal face in front of me instantly enlarged and I subconsciously held my breath.

          Somehow the situation had changed and I seemed to be the threatened party.

          He said.  "Fang Liang Liang, of course, there is a cost if you make an unreasonable scene.  The cost is I am getting more and more……intrigued by you.  But in view of your identity and occupation, I will consider whether this is just a trick of letting go, to have a better grasp." 

          His eyes were serene and deep.  "It looks like you are very adept at this."

          I stared at him with incredulous eyes.  "Hey!"  I cried.  And he had already held up my chin.  Smiling arrogantly he said.  "Shssh…..First, listen to me…..can I assume that the reason why you refused to get into the car, is that you were waiting for me to come to you in person and get intimate with you in public, like now?  En?"

          This man's every move was enough to make my endocrine chaotic and have a mental breakdown.  I was so angry that my chest heaved up and down, my fists subconsciously clenched up.

          In this life, I had never been so angry before.

          Kang Zixian started to laugh.  I had never seen a man laugh as hateful as him.  Lifting his eyebrows, he said.  "What?  Feeling angry?  I advise you not to get angry.  Look at your face, you look like a grumpy little cat, making people want to tease you.  Don’t you realize this yourself?"

          ”You….have the guts!!!"  I gritted my teeth.  He made me so angry that I had a splitting headache but I would not admit defeat.

          I leaned closer and stared back at him.  With threatening gestures, I said.  "Surname Kang, when a dog is anxious it will jump over the wall.  Be careful this little cat will bite you."

          His mouth lifted into a smile.  "The more dangerous things are…..the more challenging it will be, isn't it so?"

          "You should worry about having rabies."  I shouted.

          "I think compared to me, you should be more worried about yourself."  His black eyes were like whirlpools faintly swirling in circles.

          Suddenly I felt unsettled and a terrible thought came into my mind…..as if trouble was brewing.

          In my mind, an alarm was ringing.  Kang Zixian bent over close to my ear and in a soft gentle, threatening tone, he said.  "If you do not want to get into the car and want to play games, I can play along with you.  How about this?  I can make a phone call to Martin and let him take your little boyfriend back with him.  It is said that he has more than one private club.  Just that……"  His hot breath blew into my ear, crisp and itchy.  "It's already late.  I want to go home and sleep therefore I won’t be able to help you."

          After listening to his words, I felt the blood drain from my whole body.  Compared to this extremely handsome man in front of me, even the bleak cold breeze had become light and gentle.

          The blue sea turned into mulberry fields*(Transformations of the world), people's hearts are unpredictable.

          Everything was silently reminding me: 

          Fang Liang Liang, your fight for self-esteem had failed.  If you continue to argue with this man, probably the triangular underwear* (referring to Dong Zi) would not be safe.  The situation is unfavorable, so retreating would be a better option and getting farther away from him would also be better.

          Even though I had lost face, I cleared my throat, pushed my chest out and said.  "Let's go."

          Without looking at him, I swaggered towards the car opened the door and sat inside.

          Dong Zi who was anxiously waiting for me, opened his mouth.  "My……."

          With a blank face, I waved my hand.  "Starting from now, shut your mouth.  If you open your mouth, I'll strangle you."

          Dong Zi shrank cowardly and tactfully kept his silence.

          When Kang Zixian came into the car, I turned my face sideways, looking into the night.  My heart was cutting him up, piece by piece.

          But even so, I still felt very angry……very, very angry.

          I fell asleep in the car and when I woke up, I found a black coat with a faint lingering fragrance covering my body.  When Dong Zi saw me opening my eyes and staring at the coat in a daze, he did not dare to speak.  My gaze fell on Kang Zixian who was pouting, suggesting that the coat was his.

          I sat up, threw the coat aside and saw that we had reached the city.  In a cold tone, I said.  "Stop in front.  We can take a taxi from here."

          Kang Zixian did not urge us to stay and slowly stopped the car.  As soon as the car stopped, I quickly opened the door.  Without saying a word, I pulled Dong Zi out of the car then turned around and walked away.

          Dong Zi who was following behind me, was waving his hands at Kang Zixian and thanking him for the ride.  While trying to keep up with me, he stumbled on the stone steps and by the time he picked himself up, I had already hailed a taxi for the journey home.

          That night I reached home, I had a high fever and a headache.  My whole body felt weak and I fell into an endless deep sleep.

          From young to adulthood, it was always the same.  I do not get sick easily but if I do, it would last from ten days to half a month and when I recover, I would have lost half my body weight.     

          When I am sick, there are no symptoms.  Once I have a fever, I would not make a sound and all I do is to sleep from morning till night without waking up.  I would be oblivious to everything that happens around me, just like……sleeping until the end of time.

          I calculated the last time I fell sick was five years ago.

          So this time, my sickness descended on me in a menacing way.

          But I am an optimistic person, claiming to be a female King Kong unharmed by knives and bullets.

          So without any worries in my heart, I figured that the fever would become better by having more sleep.

2