Chapter 12
963 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

        The next afternoon, in a daze, I heard my cellphone ring.  I struggled to wake up and when I sat up I felt confused and disorientated.  So, I laid back on the floor and I groped around finally locating my cellphone in my cotton slipper under the sofa. 

          It was my police cellphone and the call was from Li Fang, my counterpart from the Bureau responsible for the collection of information. 

         This guy has the crafty eyes and the vitality of a monkey.  That pair of rowing thief's eyes are radar-like, often keeping alert to any changes and he has the ability to turn around situations.  Occasionally when riding on a public bus, he would be a target, monitored by overzealous citizens of justice.  Actually, Li Fang could be considered as a law-abiding citizen as he would not steal money.  At the most, behind his wife's back, he would only steal people* (To have affairs)

          This guy's information was gathered from the celebrity hermit and a community from all walks of life.  Basically, he would never make mistakes but ever since he did not gather the vital information of Deng Loong being a homosexual, resulting in my failure, my trust in him had drastically reduced but as I still needed information from him, I still had to be polite.

          "Hi."  Weakly I greeted him as I lay on the sofa while seeing stars and feeling out of breath.

          Li Fang said in a loud and clear voice.

          "Hey, Liang Liang.  The last time you asked me to run a check, the information is out.  The person, Kang Zixian's backing is very strong.  Do you know the city's second-largest family clan, Wan Family's Wan Taijun*?" (Taijun is an official title bestowed on the eldest and the most powerful mother in the family)

          In A city, who would not know of the famous Head of Yindu Real Estate, Wan Qihua…..Wan Taijun?  Although she is a lady, her imposing attitude would make many men sighed in shame.  She became a widow when she was in her middle-age.  At that time, there were internal real estate disputes and attacks from all sides.  Wan Taijun had swooped down like a thunderbolt with iron hands and suppressed the conflicts.  With sharp precise judgment, she appointed talented people to work under her.  Under her several years of leadership, Yindu Real Estate business flourished and acquired the gold status reputation in the real estate business sector.   The city is full of Yindu property developments and even the single-room apartments like Yu Hua Apartments where I am staying was also developed by Yindu Real Estate. 

          What is the relationship between Kang Zixian and this prominent old lady?  This old lady's lover?

          I am amused by my strange thoughts.

          My throat felt dry.  I poured myself a glass of warm water and said into the phone.  "Don’t stall, tell me everything directly."

          Li Fang began his endless report.  "Wan Taijun has a son and a daughter.  Her daughter is married and stays in America.  This Kang Zixian is the son of Wan Taijun's daughter.  Kang Zixian is the grandson of Wan Taijun but has been keeping a low-key profile.  He graduated from the famous American college, Ivy League.  His English name is Ken and his career is a bit complicated, it is M & A.  Do you know what that is? .......it is mergers and acquisitions of companies.  In recent years, he did quite a number of big projects, plus he has his ways in the States.  His net worth has risen and it is well known that he is ruthless in his dealings.  After completing his projects, his general requirements are shares equivalent to his commission which is not fixed. But the people that are seeking his assistance has broken the threshold……."

          Li Fang had talked too much and drunk a glass of water to sooth this throat.  My mind was dizzy and I thought of the man surname Kang's character, possessing such a prominent identity.  People like him get whatever they want and this aging mother, I, am still nesting in a place like a bird's nest drinking cold water.  My house only had four walls, no rice in the jar, even birds refuse to visit and suddenly I felt upset.

         After Li Fang had finished drinking, he continued to speak.  "This Kang Zixian spent most of his time in the States but I heard that recently he came back.  Oh, Liang Liang, I also got hold of gossip that this Kang Zixian is 30 years old and his former girlfriend was a blonde old beauty.  Wan Taijun was not pleased with a foreign granddaughter-in-law and since he is still single, he was summoned back here to go on blind dates.  I heard that the daughters of prominent families in the city are in the Wan Family's list of prospective candidates."

          Daughters of prominent families?  I let out a cold humph.  This man, Kang did not appear to be that tasteful and elegant.  Every night he indulges in sex and also bullies me, this pitiful ‘hostess’.  As can be seen that after having been in the States for so many years, that blonde beauty still had not drummed into him the moral of  ‘Don’t pick wildflowers from the roadside.'* (Not to simply pick up any woman lest the woman is of easy virtue).

          I gulped down a mouthful of water, cold water sliding down my parched throat was like hot air heating up, making me very uncomfortable.  I closed my eyes and asked.  "Yes, what about Su Jin Wei?"

          "Oh….he is a Harvard Law School graduate lawyer, Kang Zixian's partner and Kang Zixian can be considered his boss.  The two men together form a powerful alliance."

          "Oh." I gave an answer and Li Fang continued speaking.  "I had checked the two for signs of crime but can't find any.  Although commercial annexation is brutal, these two are smart to take advantage of loopholes in the law and at the most, they will only receive moral condemnation.  Besides, these hunters are hidden deep and nobody will know about the things that they carry out secretly.  Another thing is Deng Loong invited Kang Zixian to help him buy the two of the city's five-star hotels because he is not happy with his Father's conservative way of doing business.  Young people…..they like to do things their way."

          Li Fang was talking too fast, making my head feel dizzy.  I used my hands to support myself and stood up with the intention to go back to sleep but he still continued to rattle on.  He paused for a while when he came to the important point, he said.  "Liang Liang, I'm sorry….I….that Deng Loong is……"       

          Walking back to bed took up a lot of my energy when I laid down on the bed, my heartbeat had accelerated. My whole body felt weak and I was anxious to hang up.  "Okay.  Deng Loong being a homosexual has nothing to do with you.  Next time, remember to treat me to a Sichuan meal as compensation."

          In fact, now I don't have any appetite.

          "Okay, treating you to a few more meals is not a problem.  Recently your brother, I have saved up a lot of money waiting for you to help me spend some of it."

          I laughed.  "Stupid brother, why save your money for me.  You should save your money for your little 'love' sisters.  I want to sleep now.  I'm hanging up."

          "Alright then.  Oh, right, Liang Liang, there is one more thing.  Lao Tan also knows about this and it seems that Deng Loong's suspected involvement has been ruled out.  Yesterday, there were new clues and on your side, the task will probably come to an end.  Guess, Lao Tan will send you on a new task.  That's it."

          I frowned.  "Oh, I got it."

          Outside the sky, the wind and rain seemed to have changed course.  Wondering what sinister undercover life would be waiting for me.  But I did not want to think of anything at the moment because when I chose this path at the beginning, my only mission was……obedience and absolute obedience.

          There is a limit to a person's energy and guessing the fate of my future was never my style and so instead of using up my energy, I covered myself with the quilt and continued to sleep.

          As expected, that afternoon, Lao Tan gave me a call.  The ringtone made my headache worse and felt like throwing the cellphone at the wall.  Groggily, I looked at the phone and as soon as I saw his name, instantly I became wide awake.  Lackeys have to be respectful and so I picked up the call.

          Lao Tan was my superior, the boss and also an elder that I respected.  I, Fang Liang Liang was not afraid of many people but he was one of them. 

          "Liang Liang, Deng Loong's suspected involvement has been ruled out.  Find an excuse to get out from there.  I have a new task for you but there is a need for procedures.  I will inform you later."

          I had prepared myself for this outcome, obediently responded and in the end, boldly asked.  "Boss, are there new clues?"

          "You can say that.  I'm busy now.  Tell you another day, settle the matters on your side and wait for my call."

          He was a true leader, even his instructions were clear and concise, leaving no room for guessing.

          A thought came to my mind and I asked.  "Boss, what about Dong Zi?  Is he also withdrawing?"

          "He will remain for another two days.  Narcotics Department suspects a drugs party is going to be held there and they need him as a backup.  I'll hang up now."

          "Ai, Ai….."  I cried out twice and just as I wanted to report about Dong Zi's difficult situation to Lao Tan, he hung up leaving a long string of busy tone, making me scratch my hair in a daze.

          I frowned, feeling upset and frustrated, pushed myself back to lie on the bed but instead banged my head hard against the headboard.  It hurt so bad that I grimaced in pain and started to curse my mother.

          I swept a desolate look around my room.  The sofa was covered with unwashed clothes and pants, there was a cotton slipper sitting on top of the computer CPU, probably that day when I threw myself on the bed and inadvertently kicked it there.  While the other slipper was hiding under the bed which I did not have time to pick up.  The cactus plant on the windowsill had decayed and as I was busy, I did not throw it away but left it there, just like me.  Like a stray dog with no one to take care of me, left on my own to fend for myself.

          When I thought of my mother who is in Seattle, now lying in the arms of the handsome Alan listening to the waves rushing up the beach sleeping so sweetly, a feeling of resentment rose from my heart.

          The old man and old lady were still strong, at least they could do it once a week without taking any medicine.  My mother under Alan's care was full of life like spring onions and maybe these two would give me a mixed-blood brother to play with. 

          In contrast, I was becoming more and more like a single shadow filled with bitter grievances.  Swathed in the quilt, I could not help but cursed.  "Fuck…...forgot her child when she has a husband."

          At night, I took sick leave and Mama Sang scolded me through the phone, saying that I was making her lose money.  She also told me to be careful of getting knocked down by a car and people like me who make her lose money would never have a good ending.

          Originally, I was already feeling sick with only half a life left in me and when she scolded me, I was very furious.   Pissed off by her curses, I got out of bed while gritting my teeth and stood up to button up my clothes with trembling hands.  After I had casually put on a thick coat, I left to hand in my resignation and reason with her.

          I still wanted to live and after her cursing, when I stepped out I was cautious of cars.  I hailed a taxi to Meise Nightclub.

          In the car, I pondered for a long while.  Meise Nightclub was not a place where one can come and go as one, please.  They have their own rules and only those who are old and those who they do not want, would only be allowed to leave.  I just came for a few days and now wanted to leave, Mama Sang would surely throw a fit and would not let me go so easily.

          After thinking for a while and I came up with an idea.

2