Chapter 158: Experiment
4.7k 5 124
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
 As usual,

Special thank you to Eduardo Garcia, kynan, adam9413, Niedzwiedz1, and all my Patreons.

Patreons

Discord

A distance off the shore, dark clouds gathered and dispersed in a strange scenery above my head. The sound of thunder rumbled constantly as flashes of lightning flickered in the sky. The boom was too loud causing ripples to appear in the water below.

My eyes were squinted as I glared at the clouds above. After a few days of continuous attempts, I was finally able to summon the lightning element without much of a problem. The issue lay in the fact that It was still uncontrollable. All I could do so far was make it appear, but when it came to guiding it to follow my bidding, I still had no success. 

The heavens above were a sea of lightning, If someone was to look at the scene from afar, I was sure It would like akin to one straight out of an apocalypse. The constant flashes of blinding light, alongside the thundering sound, hammered my senses making me feel slightly uncomfortable, yet I prevailed. 

A frown hung on my face as I began to consider other possibilities. It has been a few days since I began, and the lightning element was still as stubborn as ever. This started making me feel like my first success back then was nothing but a fluke, or perhaps the mana itself was the one that guided me. It had nothing to do with my will. 

Although I didn't like that, I had to start thinking of other ways to use it. Hence from this desperation, came an idea that could either be considered extremely smart or extremely stupid. Which of the previous, is yet to be seen.

'Since I can now summon lightning with no problem, the biggest hurdle could be considered done, what is left is how to 'move' it. Coincidentally, don't I possess an element that's quite fitting for the task? Why force it if doesn't want to obey me,' I grinned as I began thinking of my cosmic element. 

So far, I had used it in various battles, and against several opponents. I managed to decapitate monsters before they could react, teleporting their heads off their shoulders. I used it to mirror their attacks back at them. But, even with my streak of success using cosmic mana, there was still a step I was always hesitant to try. 

'Teleporting myself...' I inwardly mumbled with a sigh. 

Targeting an enemy with my mana is of no problem, the outcome of the spell wouldn't 'physically' harm me. Yet when it came to me being the subject of the said spell, things would become quite tricky. This was the main reason I never attempted this. 

'What if I teleport myself without an arm? What If I do it without a leg? Worse yet, what would happen If I decapitated myself by accident?' Such thoughts constantly haunted me, preventing me from proceeding with my experiments. 'What if I get stuck in the void with no way back?' I quickly shook my head from such useless thoughts and focused back on the task at hand. 

'It doesn't matter, I'll think about that later, for now, I should think about this,' I thought as I glanced at the streaks of lightning above. 

What I was going to try was something I had done before, though on different circumstances, so I was aware that it was possible. That is teleporting another 'element', which meant a combination of two different types of magic. I was already sure that my cosmic element can teleport physical matter through the void, and I also succeeded in teleporting Ember's attack back to him before. Yet this time, it was a bit different since I was using both elements, and I had to factor in a few details. 

'So many unknowns, would the lightning element be able to hold on as it travels across the void?Wouldn't It collapse If my connection to it snaps?But then again, Ember's element survived so why shouldn't mine? Would I be able to direct them according to my wishes?' Countless thoughts flooded my mind as I stared at the lightning element flickering on and off in the sky. 

I slowly steadied my breathing, and patiently waited. The lightning element kept appearing and disappearing in an almost pattern of sorts. I studied that and waited, waiting for the right opportunity to arrive. 

I didn't have to wait for long though, as heavens or the King, seemed to reward my patience. With the help of my spirit vision, my eyes managed to catch a glimpse of the lighting element that was about to form. My gaze turned sharp as I instantly reached out to my cosmic mana from within my soul space. 

The link was quickly made as a thin thread descended from beyond the sky and accurately encompassed the lightning element that just formed. The sudden flash of light appeared almost like an illusion before it disappeared completely as if it never existed. I however was sure it did, for this time, I managed to sense something I had never felt before. 

Usually, every use of my cosmic element was shrouded in mystery, even to me. Although the element heeded my call and seemed to submit to my will better than before, It was still not fully. This was easy to see in some of my previous battles. The battle of Piya in particular. When I used the cosmic mana to make their city shield disappear, I had no real destination in mind. 

The mana simply sensed my will and made it vanish. Where did it go? I didn't know. Was it teleported somewhere else within our plane? I didn't know. Did it get sent off the planet completely? I didn't know. 

The cosmic mana was tricky to tame. If I was not meticulous enough, It could easily interpret my will however it pleases. This was something I was a little bit concerned about, yet I doubted it would get bad. Still, better be safe than sorry. I wouldn't want the enemy's spell to suddenly appear behind my back amidst battle because I didn't give the mana enough instructions.  

This time, however, I could 'sense' the elements as they traveled across the void! This made my eyes widen in shock and surprise as it seems like it was traveling behind a veil. Close, yet far, here, but not quite so. This moment of distraction though caused my concentration to break as the thread that connected me to both elements suddenly snapped leaving me dumbfounded. 

  

124