Chapter 4: A Beautiful Painting, A Growling Stomach And A Bastard Friend
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next morning, outside Shanghai railway station. A group of kids gathered around holding suitcases with Huang Liuxing and Li Zhong in the centre. "Alright! Is everyone here?" Huang Liuxing beams excitedly. 

Everyone seemed tired with their droopy eyes hanging down. "Boss, why did you call us so early in the morning to gather here at Shanghai railway station?"

"Of course to go for camp training!" Huang Liuxing says proudly with her hands on her hips. 

One of the underlings ask questionably, "why do we have to do that?" 

Huang Liuxing smirks at the question, "Of course to get stronger and conquer all of Shanghai! Once we do that we are going to defeat the Abyss!!"

Huh? She was still going on about that? Is that why she dragged us all the way here at three o'clock in the morning with no proper explanation?!

Li Zhong was no help either since he encouraged it. "That's right. So you guys better get ready for some hellish training!" Li Zhong says while smiling, "so no slacking off okay?" 

Scary! He's too scary! How can he say such a thing with a smile on his face?! 

Huang Liuxing was already scary enough, but Li Zhong is even more terrifying! Unlike Huang Liuxing who is always straightforward, Li Zhong would always smile that devilish yet angelic smile when he is about to do something wicked. It was absolutely terrifying!!

While dreading on what kind of training they were going to suffer. Huang Liuxing gestures them to walk and yells out "we're heading out!" With little choice, the members followed Huang Liuxing and Li Zhong lead the way begrudgingly. 

Minutes later the train had arrived. a

After entering the train and finding their respective seats, one young astute looking boy decided to gather up the courage to ask, "Boss Huang, where are we really going? This train goes to Xi'an..."

"Of course, for training. To Huayin city." 

Huh, the boy didn't understand what Huang Liuxing meant. What were they going to do in Huayin?? Ah! Why was it that Boss Huang always says things in a roundabout way?!

"Boss! Please elaborate!"

"I shall tell you when we get there so be patient!"

Li Zhong chides in, "yes, be patient, Xiao Bai. I'm sure even you can do that, right?" 

"..." Xiao Bai stares at the duo dumbfounded. '

These two are messing with me right?! Why not say it now?!'

The suspense was killing him, how could he endure such a long period of suspense?! He is the very definition of gossip! How could they do this to him, this was basically torture for his curious self! 

After arriving at Huayin City, Huang Liuxing and her gang brought their luggage to a three-star Hotel. When they entered the reception hall, they were greeted by a middle-aged man.

His sharp looking grey eyes that were soft and gentle greatly contrasted with his strict looking face. His slightly greyish brown could not hide the strong presence he emitted.

"We have been waiting for your arrival, Third young master." Li Zhong nodded, "no need to be polite." dismissing all formalities he ordered the man to show them to their rooms. 

The man smiles at the children behind Li Zhong then turns to guide them to their rooms. 

The extravagant rooms shocked everyone in awe. Everyone except Huang Liuxing and Li Zhong. 

Li Zhong was born from a rich and prominent family so he was used to luxurious and extravagant things. As for Huang Liuxing, she was Li Zhong's playmate and would often come to his big mansions and luxurious villas to play. 

After choosing a room to her liking, Huang Liuxing cast her luggage to the side and jumped in her fluffy bed. The beige bedroom walls were slightly glittery and the carpet was soft and furry, the moment Huang Liuxing stepped on it, her feet felt like they were sinking in soft jelly.

The star-like chandelier lit up several shades of blue and gold which emitted an enchanting atmosphere. The draws and wardrobes which practically glowed like white silver pearls. 

Huang Liuxing couldn't help admiring this room of an artwork. It was truly a sight to behold. This scene was suited to the saying: 'the best memory is not so firm as faded ink!'[1]

Walking towards the bed, she throws herself into the soft mattress and buried her face inside the pillow.

As she was indulging herself in the softness of the bed, she notices a painting hanging on the wall opposite her bed. The painting was vividly bright yet it was neither gaudy and nor was it overly fancy. The painting depicted a young beautiful woman gracefully sitting on a hay of grass, the landscape background of a countryside yard was exquisite yet, was captivated by the woman. Her smile which seemed to captivate all living things drew Huang Liuxing closer.

The more she looked at the painting, the harder it became to take her eyes off it. Unbeknownst to her, Huang Liuxing unconsciously left the incredibly soft bed and slowly walked towards the painting. Reaching out her hand, she gently strokes the painting of the woman. The woman's dark brown and wavy hair greatly contrasted her deep green eyes which were as deep as a rainforest. 

"Those eyes... They look like Li Zhong's." Huang Liuxing slowly whispers. 

"Indeed alike." The voice of an old man resonated inside the room pulling Huang Liuxing from her trance. When Huang Liuxing turned to the direction of the voice, she saw the same middle-aged man who had greeted Li Zhong at the entrance. 

The old man smiles at Huang Liuxing. He walks across the room stopping at the painting. "The painting is really beautiful isn't it?" 

"Yes." Huang Liuxing admitted wholeheartedly, "It's beautiful, but..." Huang Liuxing pauses then carefully says, "her eyes don't look very happy." 

"What keen eyes you have there young lady." The old man nods in agreement. He sighs in desolation, "that is third young master Li Zhong's birth mother." 

"Eh?!" Huang Liuxing blurts out loud with a bewildered expression on her face. 

"Birthmother? But I thought she died after giving birth to Li Zhong?" Huang Liuxing asked the old man with a confused expression on her face. The old man says, "of course she died. But she didn't die from child labour. That reason was just a lie to cover up The Li family's personal affairs." 

After speaking his piece, the old man walks off leaving the bedroom. "Hey wait, what do you mean -" 

Before Huang Liuxing could ask about Li Zhong's mother, the old man had already left the room.

How can he just leave like that?? Old man! It isn't very nice to leave people hanging!! 

She sighs and then turns towards the suitcases to begin packing her stuff. She didn't have the luxury to indulge herself in gossip, she needed to become stronger. Being weak is a crime and must be avoided at all costs. That was her creed. As long as she was strong nothing else mattered. 

Two hours later, Huang Liuxing had finished packing her belongings. Before she could finally breathe a sigh of relief and throw herself on the bed, a knocking sound on the door disrupted her thoughts of resting.

"Who is it?" She asks. 

"It's me." After hearing a familiar voice, Huang Liuxing speaks in a gentler tone, "come in." As the door creaks open, Li Zhong smiles gently, "Xingxing, it's lunchtime. Let's go downstairs to eat!"

Huang Liuxing frowns at the new nickname 'Xingxing' that Li Zhong had just given her, first it was Xing'er and now it was Xingxing. Was there a loophole in his brain? Ah? Why can't you just call me by my actual name? What is with the intimate nickname? Brother, are you trying to practice some sort of romantic play? If so, don't use it on me! I am not your practice target!!

Li Zhong notices Huang Liuxing not uttering a word, "Xingxing aren't you hungry? Don't you want to eat?" 

Huang Liuxing looks at him in disapproval however, the moment when she was thinking of how to discipline this trouble maker, an angry noise could be heard. 

What was that? Did someone else sneak into the room? Which bastard was it?

A second time the growling sound became even louder than even Li Zhong could hear it. 

Li Zhong and Huang Liuxing stared blankly at each other. Huang Liuxing's eyebrows furrowed, she asks, "can you hear that sound?" 

Li Zhong nods his head than when he hears the growling sound for the third time, he finally realizes where it was coming from. 

He giggled covering his mouth with his hands, noticing his funny behaviour, Huang Liuxing raises he eyebrow and questions, "what's wrong?"

Unable to take it anymore he bursts out laughing uncontrollably, "Xingxing, hehe! It's your stomach that's making the noise! Kekeke! I think you really do need to eat lunch!!"

"What do you-"

*Growl*, Huang Liuxing stopped in her tracks, she finally realized where the sound was coming from! Sh*t! It was her stomach making the noise! Her face rapidly turned into a dark shade of red. 

It! Was! Embarrassing! 

How could she be oblivious to such an obvious sound?! And Li Zhong was the first to point that out! EMBARRASSING!! 

"Finally realized now?" Li Zhong says trying hard to hold himself back from laughing. "Hehe, I think you're working a little too hard Xingxing. To even forget the sound of your own stomach! Hahaha!"

"GET OUT!!" Huang Liuxing shouts at him in a flustered manner. "Fine." Li Zhong turns around to leave the room. Huang Liuxing begins to feel guilty for yelling at Li Zhong to leave. Maybe she was a little too mean. 

I should apologise. 

Right when She was having thought of apologising, Li Zhong stops at the door to look back and say, "Xingxing I know that you're angry, but make sure to come down for lunch, otherwise I'm afraid the whole hotel will hear the angry howling of your stomach! We don't want all the people in the hotel to be scared of right? Ha ha!" 

Huang Liuxing's face twists into that of a mad dog, she grabs a pillow from the bed and dashes it at Li Zhong with all her might! Li Zhong dodges it running out of the room and slamming the door shut. 

Right, when she thought he was gone, the door is opened again by Li Zhong, he says mockingly, "Xingxing, I think that even your throwing strength has decreased. If you want to hit and beat me up, I'm afraid that it would be impossible to even make me bleed in the state you're in right now! If we fight now, I fear that you will just collapse onto the floor like a withering piece of paper!!" After saying his piece, he slams the door shut again howling in laughter. 

"Argh!! Li Zhong, you're such a bastard!!"

I take it back! I'm never going to apologise to you, I won't pity you either you despicable bastard! What best friend? What brother? You bastard of a friend actually dared to patronize me?! I'll beat you to a bloody pulp!! And this stomach of mine! How dare you make such unsightly sounds! My reputation! My image is in shatters because of you! I've completely lost face!! 

This humiliation was just too hard to swallow. This humiliation, she would remember it for the rest of her life!

[1]: 'the best memory is not so firm as faded ink!' = the palest ink is better than the most capricious memory. 

1