Chapter 89: Legendary beasts
374 0 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Between the immortals, the strongest ones always had one colored root. Most of the time their children inherited it and thousands of years later, their families became the strongest and biggest ones. They had everything that others wished to get and it increased the hatred against them. To protect themselves some families built up their own sects, and some joined hands with others. Their benefits were shared and it solved some problems. Thousands of years passed and the families completely became the core of the sects. Lesser children were born with good roots, but they still were able to maintain their positions.

The legendary beasts weren’t the strongest because they could change their appearances and turn into humans, but because of their one colored roots. All of them were born with one natural element and their children always inherited it. Sorrowfully the females only could give birth to 2 or 3 cubs. Their fertility was better when their partner had similar animal form and they didn’t change them, then sometimes they could have 6 cubs.

This information made some smaller families greedy. They wanted to see what would happen if a human and a beast had children. They captured young legendary beasts and forced them into a relationship with their masters. Surprisingly all the children were born as humans and only 1 or 2 awakened their beast’s blood during their childhood. They became the pillar of their families, yet the others looked down on them because of their origin.

Because of this incident, the legendary beasts’ numbers dropped rapidly. It caused a big indignation and the sects banished those families. After losing everything, they charged the half-bloods for it and chased them. Without the sects’ protection, the older legendary beasts dared to go after those who forced their children and took revenge. In the end, no one knew who killed who.

Belinda listened to the story carefully. It was rare from Horác to say so much without joking.

„So those two before...?” Belinda suddenly realized.

Horác sighed. „Even today, there are some families who try to get a higher position with this method. After that incident, the sects reject but didn’t forbid relationships between humans and beasts. They just need to stay low key with 1-2 children. And only female beasts have problems with fertility. If it’s a male, he can have even a hundred children. They just need to be able to find women who dare to sleep with him...”

Belinda was confused. „Dare? Is there a problem with the male beasts?”

Horác eyes lit up. „Heh. Don’t tell me, are you interested in that? But you are still young. I forbid it!”

„Interested, my ass! Can’t you tell a story normally?!” she pointed at Horác’s nose. „You’re doing it on purpose! You always stop at those parts and don’t continue until someone asks, then turn the others into a joke!”

Horác didn’t say more just surprisedly looked at her.

Belinda supported her forehead and sighed. She didn’t know why she became so frustrated. She knew Horác always played those tricks and she never paid any attention to it.

She turned to Bertold. „I’m tired. Can we go back?”

Bertold nodded and they left the auction’s house. They went back to Szelim’s house and Horác followed them without a word.

At the gate, Sal waited for them and before Belinda could greet him, she saw he held out his hand. „Lucia?”

„... I need water.” her face blackened. When she saw he wanted to pull out something from under his clothes, she added. „Let me go to the fishpond.”

Sal nodded and let them in. He closely followed Belinda until he got his new friend. He happily hugged her and went to play.

Belinda walked around the pond then she sat down on the opposite side. She watched the house’s reflection and fell deep into her thought.

She didn’t know when Bertold sat down next to her. She slowly looked at him and come back to her senses.

„During that time, a male beast can easily lose his sense and turn back into his real appearance.” he suddenly said. His speech was calm and slow. „It can leave a strong psychological shadow on the woman’s heart. And there are some gossips about those children. They say that even if the kids born as a human they still have the beast’s blood in their vein, so during pregnancy, the mother will feel that there’s an alien object in her stomach. While it’s growing she feels that it’s taking away her vitality... Fear. Depression. Unwillingness. And hatred... Instead of motherly love, there will be only negative emotions... When the child born there won’t be any connection between them...” he grabbed a stone and threw it into the lake. „One of the world rules protect the children under 10 years old. That’s why they can’t kill them, so they threw them away. Usually, the big families choose a servant to take care of them...”

Belinda listened peacefully. Some old memories flashed in front of her eyes and she slowly understood some things. She sighed and looked up at the sky.

„Did you know?” she whispered. „I’m not the real owner of this body.”

Bertold looked at her and after a while, he nodded. „I know, you can’t.”

„...Can’t?” Belinda was confused and looked at him.

Bertold looked into her eyes. „I saw your memories, that’s why I know you can’t be from this world.”

„... Just what did you see?!”

Bertold looked away. „When you’ll be older I tell you.”

Belinda opened her mouth but closed it without saying anything. She knew that once Bertold decided something no one could change it. She was curious, but she could wait. She believed in Bertold. If he intended to hide it from her, then he had a good reason.

„... Under the Soul calming array’s effect, I saw her memories.” Belinda hugged her legs and continued where she stopped. „During her birth, her mother didn’t show any joy. Even if it was a child she didn’t want, her hatred was too strong... And after she was given away, she never cried. I felt that something was amiss, but I couldn’t find out what... Now I think I understand.”

15