Volume 1 : Chapter 1; A Drunken Hangover
87 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Volume 1 : Chapter 1; A Drunken Hangover

 

A wave of nausea assaulted my senses as I sprawled whimsically to my nightstand. Placing my glasses clumsy on my nose, I stare at my legs ensnared by a clump of cloth sheets. With a reek of alcohol on my short beard, I think about my 'adventurous' night.

 

[Why the hell did I listen to that bastard!]

 

Fragments of memories, like shrieking hymns, resound maddeningly in my skull.

 

[Damn you Harvey, what did I do to deserve a spiked drink? I should have left the party as soon as that vixen started railing on me again...]

 

I twist out of bed, when suddenly I hear a cat-like moan behind me.

 

(???) "Victor you were so sweet last night."

 

As I gaze downward, the school clock tower rings in the distance.

 

(Victor) “Did you sleep well? Get your drunk ass out of my bed and get dressed. We have orientation to attend.” 

 

(???) “Fine, fine. But don’t forget we have our Date in the afternoon. I don’t want you to abandon me like you did last time.” 

(Victor) “Don’t push me Vivi. I have already been quite tolerant.” 

 

Turning to my side, I see Vivi slouch in her ‘cutesy’ pink sleepwear. Her long, dark brown bangs obscure her face like curtains on a window. With practiced movements, I quickly get my formal white robes on, and loosely comb my hair with my hands. 

 

[Next time Vivi tries to sleep at my place I should bring over another girl just to see the look on her face.] 

 

Snickering, I light a candle in my room and begin to head out of the dorm room. I briefly hear Vivi’s growl of annoyance, but I pretend as if I didn’t hear her and continue on my way. 

 

Slinging my bag over my shoulder I take a deep breath and salty autumn sea breeze wafts refreshingly through my lungs. A sight of the capital city of Cascade’s greatest academy greets me as vibrant red bricks line the walkways leading to various school facilities. Ancient arbors with branches gnarled with time, seem to embrace me almost like an elderly woman's hug. 

 

Turning to the correct direction, I wave my hand and invoke my heavenly knowledge of the Know. A musty green light seeps out from my pores, as I display my control over the heavenly ‘Poison’ subject. No longer drunk, I cancel my invocation, and continue to the welcome reception.

 

[I never got the opportunity to check the time but judging by the absence of people I must be late. Fuck you Harvey. I am going to mentally add this onto my list of things I will murder you for.] 

 

I dash to the welcoming reception, Nathan’s hall, a building named after one of the most embellished alumni of Cascade University. Nathan Dove was once an infamous corrupt official of the Travis kingdom, and also at the time of his power, a Judge level expert of the Know. After his sudden assassination at the hands of another Judge level expert, later discovered to be a spy from the Republic of Flowers to the west, his fame skyrocketed. 

 

[In life a fool, in death a martyr.] 

 

...

 

Arriving at the foot of the grand hall, I enthusiastically greet one of the professors taking attendance for the event. Quizzically appraising my disheveled appearance, the elderly professor grunts:

 

(???) “Name.”

 

(Victor) “Victor Vel sir.”

 

(???) “Hurry up and take a seat. Lawyer Thomas is about to begin his speech.”

 

[Lawyer Thomas? Isn’t he that genius that arose from the Vothian Empire and consequently won all of the Know invocation tournaments?]

 

(Victor) “Sure thing professor. I apologize if I am a little late.” 

 

Leaving no room for rapport, I walk through the open ebony double doors, and sit among one of the pews in the back beside a familiar figure.

1