Volume 1: Chapter 4; Introductions
28 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Volume 1: Chapter 4; Introductions

 

[I should hurry up and head to class before the crowds start slowing me down.]

 

Now outside of Nathan’s Hall, I turn and face a haggard looking Harvey, whose normally beady eyes seem somewhat dull. To wake him up, I deliver a solid smack to his right cheek, which jolts him awake.

 

(Harvey) “God damn it Victor, what do you want now?” 

 

(Victor) “Harvey what classes did you sign up for?”

 

Immediately a sharp lecherous expression clouds his visage, but equally as fast, he plasters a stoic look without much success.

 

(Harvey) “My first class is with Professor Beatrice with her ‘Tempering the Body I’ course. Then I have ‘Basics of Meditation’ with that old zombie Professor Stevens…”

 

Impatiently glaring at him, he reads my intentions with a sigh.

 

(Harvey) “Man why do you always have to abuse me like this. You know how tired I get after I ‘transport’ people. I am not a damn horse!”

 

As I raise my hand threateningly, he concedes helplessly and lowers his back, motioning me to get on. As soon as I get on, a wave of blue light envelops Harveys feet and we zoom to the horizon in the direction of the main building. 

 

By our arrival, Harvey’s haggard breath and skinny arms hang listlessly from his sides, the once brilliant blue light on his bony feet dimly flickers in and out of existence. Almost throwing me down to the ground, I somehow maintain my balance by rolling. 

 

[Did Harvey’s heavenly Know ‘Speed’ subject improve recently? I should ask him later when I have more time.]

 

(Victor) “Not bad Harvey, we managed to arrive several minutes early. Let me know if you want to meet up later.”

 

(Harvey) “Yeah right like anybody would want to meet up with you. I don’t have enough free time as it is already.”

 

I wave goodbye to the receding Harvey who walks precariously in the direction of the gymnasium. As I walk up the steps to the main building, I see archaic brick architecture in combination with petite rectangular windows which allow for some natural light to enter the classrooms. 

 

Cascade University being one of the top academic locations in the known world, has a somewhat unique method of course selection. All students who manage to enter the University are required to have a ‘Student’ level understanding of at least one heavenly subject. Additionally, due to the emphasis on competition between the attendees, it is expected that a student selects courses that tailor to their strengths. Historically, students that fail to choose courses that are in their best interest, have lowered success rates in first practical exams in the winter.

 

[And if you fail in the practical exams, you are expelled. Hopefully I’ll never find out how that feels.]

 

[My first class is Biological Interactions of the Know I. It should be in room 301…]

 

Steadily absorbing my surroundings, I attune myself to the musty smell of what I suspect is a mold infestation within the building. Fighting the urge to explore the new environment, I ask directions from the front desk worker on where room 301 is located.

 

A bronze skinned senior student with wavy black locks of hair quietly motions me to stairs at the end of the hall. After fulfilling his role, he turns away back to what at first glance appears to be a complex grid of mathematical calculations. 

 

Ignoring the somewhat rude gesture, I stumble my way up the stairs and into the room labeled 301. As soon as I swing the door open, I survey an aged classroom almost devoid of any students except for two young women and robustly built young man sitting in the front. Noticing the newcomer, they all turn towards me.

 

[I expected the class size to be quite small but not this tiny. Hopefully nobody drops out or it will become an almost one on one course with the professor.]

 

(Victor) “Has anybody seen the professor yet? I thought the class would start soon.”

 

(Robust Man) “Nah, I just got here.”

 

The man twirls his pen in a practiced manner as he leans back on the squeaky school chair that is having an obviously difficult time of supporting his weight. Meanwhile the taller of the two girls gives me a professional smile as she sizes me up while logically replying:

 

(Taller Girl) “Professor Taylor runs a lab in conjunction with her role as an educator. She is probably running a little late with that going on in the background.”

 

The shorter girl then grins and adds:

 

(Shorter Girl) “I have known Professor Taylor for a while now, and she probably got disoriented on her way here. After all she has a history of being called ‘Professor Broken Compass’ and nicknames like ‘Founding Father of the Directionally Challenged.”

 

With a studiousness unbefitting his frame, the Robust Man crosses his elbow and adds:

 

(Robust Man) “As long as she arrives and teaches us what we signed up for, I do not care how late she gets here. By the way, what are your names? I am Aaron.”

 

(Tall Girl) “Cynthia. And this red-haired blabbermouth is Camilla, she is my cousin.”

 

Despite my tired appearance I feign the best smile I can muster and announce:

 

(Victor) “I am Victor. Nice to meet you all.” 

 

[I never understood why Vivian always dislikes doing introductions. Maybe it just makes her uncomfortable? I must remember to bring my library pass with me when we go to the library after school.]

 

(Cynthia) “Victor it is a pleasure to meet you, would you be interested in joining us for lunch?”

 

[What is this woman plotting asking me to eat with her? I might as well go; I don't even know where the food hall is located. At least she can guide me there.] 

 

(Victor) “Sure. When are we heading out?”

 

(Camilla) “As soon as the lecture finishes just tag along with us, we will head over as a group!”

 

Camilla’s freckled face gives me what seems to be the most genuine smile I have seen in a long time, while Aaron and Cynthia turn towards the doorway which clutters with sound as a thirty something year old woman with thick glasses and long black professor robe walks through the door.  

 

0